Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online Developer Troubled by Cross-Platform Play

JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

From-

www.1up.com/do/newsStory

Sony Online Entertainment is working hard to make PS3-to-PC multiplayer work.

By Dustin Quillen, 09/30/2008

DC Universe Online

According an MTV Multiplayer report, the implementation of cross-platform online play in DC Universe Online is giving the developers at Sony Online Entertainment some serious headaches. Though the team remains cautiously optimistic, this feature may not make the final cut at all -- rendering the PC and PS3 two entirely separate, parallel DC Universes.

The surprising part is -- while console MMORPGs are still relatively uncharted territory -- the problems that are arising here seem all-too-familiar. Sony Online Entertainment Austin's creative director Chris Cao confessed to MTV Multiplayer:

"We actually think that 'DCUO' being an action game translates very easily across [platforms], and there's not really that many differences in the gameplay. But one of things with MMOs is that we update them; we add new stuff. When we add stuff to the PC side it's a different route; going through the PlayStation Network and getting it to our console person is a lot different than getting it to our PC person."

"We don't want the console guys to get [updates] earlier or later or either way. And since they're two such different systems, we really need to work on our side to make sure that [simultaneous updates] happen. But I think if anybody is going to do it and make it simultaneously seamless for people, it's going to be us. It's just that we haven't done it yet, so we don't like to promise what we haven't delivered yet."

Restrictions on the size of downloads and an extensive certification process are just two potential stumbling blocks typical of console development. These concerns were echoed by SOE-Seattle's Matt Wilson, who's working on Sony's other cross-platform MMO, The Agency. "The console requires a certification process for every one of its releases, and that can take a short period of time or that can take a long period of time depending on the schedule," he criticized, continuing, "And if you've ever been part of an MMO release right after you launch the product, there's quite a few updates you do to solve issues."

Sounds like their reluctance to commit to unified PS3 and PC servers is probably the smart route. With any luck, their diligence will pay off when it comes time to form your own Justice League comprised of cross-platform Superfriends.

Endquote-

Superfriends had "The Wonder Twins " Which just happens to be the name Smed has given to his nutsack.

Unaware of the Jestor?
http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

guess time will tell

FFXI I believe has been doing this for years

altho they intially launched as console only in Japan

Age of Conan will be facing the same issue for the XBox port due in late 2009

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    Originally posted by Nadia

guess time will tell

FFXI I believe has been doing this for years
    altho they intially launched as console only in Japan

Age of Conan will be facing the same issue for the XBox port due in late 2009

Here is the Problem , My Good Buddy and best friend  ( The same way Joe Biden is goood friends with John McCain)  John Smedley has stated that he would Love to have an MMO that hits one million on Launch.

pick the 360

28.9% pick 360 (242,551 votes)

consoles sold

pick the PS3

20.4% pick PS3 (170,695 votes)

consoles sold

pick the Wii

50.7% pick Wii (424,703 votes)

consoles sold

23,432,883   These numbers are from nexgenwars.com

If Smedley can convince 10% of his PS3 users to buy DCO , he would get his million ( hoping that those 10% have internet access)  but as you can see he is kissing the ass of number 3 in the nex Gen market - Wii and Xbox has  them out numbered 2 to 1 each.

Not having both PC and PS3 on the same server may not count against him , it not going to help him either. ( As the BTW - Smed and SOE ran into the same problem with the Agency for both PS3 and PC and has decided to split the servers for both - But we are talking a TCF2 clone with a James Bond Twist not Batman and Superman here.)

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• BatmanlivesBatmanlives Member Posts: 40

So what would you suggest Get A new PC to play this game cause i will have to.Or just get a Play station which would be cheaper overall then getting a new PC.

I Noticed that Dell has some very good gaming notebooks out there but it still would be cheaper getting a play station.If they split the servers I'm just worried that there might be more on the PC side then the console side

• killer4hirekiller4hire Member Posts: 57

My PS2 updates FFXI just as well as any PC, and has for the past 4 years.  Never had any problems with it.  Which is something that I can't say for any of the other MMORPGS I've played (about 10) that are PC only - I've had some kind of login or update problems with just about all of those.  The PS3 will have no problems as long as these developers pull their heads out of their asses and do it right.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by JestorRodo

Restrictions on the size of downloads and an extensive certification process are just two potential stumbling blocks typical of console development. These concerns were echoed by SOE-Seattle's Matt Wilson, who's working on Sony's other cross-platform MMO, The Agency. "The console requires a certification process for every one of its releases, and that can take a short period of time or that can take a long period of time depending on the schedule," he criticized, continuing, "And if you've ever been part of an MMO release right after you launch the product, there's quite a few updates you do to solve issues."

In other words, Sony would force SOE to release non-buggy patches. Something NEVER done before, and probably unattainable by any of the crew at SOE.

They've always relied on the "release it and patch it" philosophy.

• BatmanlivesBatmanlives Member Posts: 40

OK my next question will be are you going to get the game right at it's release or are you going to wait awhile and see what the reviews are.

Also are you going to be playing it on PC or console

• ganbeeganbee Member Posts: 233

Review's mean nothing! AOC anyone, anyone?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Maybe the Sony games Division should have developed DC Online, not SoE.

What SoE is good at, is developing RMT systems and implementing it to their game without any notice to their customers.

In this they are really good.........but making a game for the PS3, I am not sure about that.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Neither DC nor The Agency will be games that I play. :)

If they fired smedly tomorrow I might change my tune, however, with what has gone on with the csr's and devs in eq2 over the past, the treatment of SWG, the abandonment of MXO, DRM issues, etc etc etc they deserve nothing from any self-respecting gamer :D

Warhammer will keep me mildly amused for a time, then will have Stargate, Star Trek, Champions, and The Old Republic.  No need to give sony a penny for the tripe they develop. :D

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by severius

Neither DC nor The Agency will be games that I play. :)

Yes that's what I think as well.

Those games should have been developed by the Playstation division of Sony, not By SoE.

By design they don't look like MMORPG, but more like Multiplayer Action games.

SoE should concentrate in traditional MMO, and let the Sony Game division to take care of the mass market games.

I think at the moment there is a bit of confusion at Sony, they need to sort out their priorities and reorganise the whole company structure.

SoE is overlapping the other Sony game branch.

• WolfdorWolfdor Member Posts: 123

It's a shame DC blindly went with SOE to put out this game, it could have been a great game in the hands of a competent Dev Team.  As anyone else who got their hands on with this game at ComicCon or any of the other shows can tell you (you can also see gameplay footage on Youtube), the original Double Dragon arcade game was more complex then DCUO is. 

The only thing they have going for it is Jim Lee's art direction, which is also the thing they are using as their selling point.  Only SOE could ruin a MMO based on DC comics, then again that shouldn't be a big surprise since they already did the same to one of the most popular licenses in pop culture history, with Star Wars.