Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE changes EULA for their games.

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Update from December 2 2008. It was changed for their Cash Shop.

But someone noticed they changed paragraph 12 too.

12:

"We cannot ensure that your private communications and other personally identifiable information will not be disclosed to third parties.

Additionally, we can (and you authorize us to) disclose any information about you to private entities.

You expressly permit SOE to upload CPU, operating system, video card, sound card and memory information from your computer to analyze and optimize your Game experience, improve and maintain the Game and/or provide you with customer service. Furthermore, if you request any technical support, you consent to our remote accessing and review of the computer you load the Software onto for purposes of support and debugging."

Comments

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

Glad I cancelled all my SOE accounts. That company is wretched, but it's unfortauntely not the only one lately.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Now this IS bad.

Even I can't paint a brighter picture on this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Update from December 2 2008. It was changed for their Cash Shop.
    But someone noticed they changed paragraph 12 too.

12:
    "We cannot ensure that your private communications and other personally identifiable information will not be disclosed to third parties.
    Additionally, we can (and you authorize us to) disclose any information about you to private entities.
    You expressly permit SOE to upload CPU, operating system, video card, sound card and memory information from your computer to analyze and optimize your Game experience, improve and maintain the Game and/or provide you with customer service. Furthermore, if you request any technical support, you consent to our remote accessing and review of the computer you load the Software onto for purposes of support and debugging."

Wow... Once again, I'm not sure which is worse, that SOE did this, or that I'm surprised they did this... Amazing.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Crap. I don't even let MS get such info, SoE sure isn't.

This is about as bad as EA's little BS ads notice inside the box of BF2142, where folks can elect to not buy the game to it.

These publishers are turning out to be but crooks. Sooner than later congress is going to get them, much like the tobacco companies.

I just read it. You should have quoted the whole thing and not just parts.

It's basically been altered so that if a legal authority (police, governmental agency etc) wants to get your info, they can without having to go through a judge.

I don't see the harm in this.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by darwa

It's basically been altered so that if a legal authority (police, governmental agency etc) wants to get your info, they can without having to go through a judge.

The harm is in the "third party" or "private entity". The government is not a private entity.

The harm is in the "third party" or "private entity". The government is not a private entity.

True, it isn't. However, the people that gather their information are.

Sorry, but I won't be joining in burning SOE at the stake today

Got paid?

Originally posted by UNATCOII

Got paid?

Yes.

SOE pay me to put a light spin their actions on a forum that is well known for its lynch mobs and hate campaigns. 

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Obvious BS.  Government should get a warrent.  Anyone else should go fly a kite.

SOE is never getting another dime of my $$$.  Ever. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by UNATCOII

Got paid?

Yes.

SOE pay me to put a light spin their actions on a forum that is well known for its lynch mobs and hate campaigns. 

No better cover.

• sappfesappfe Member Posts: 7

This seems to keep getting worst each time around.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Note to ANYONE who continues to pay to play an SOE game:

Wake the hell up and stop giving your money to these unethical turds...  Don't give us that "they are all unethical" argument either...  SOE has drastically changed the gameplay in SWG, EQ1, EQ2 after telling the playerbase each time they would not. 

This EULA is frightening invasive for your computer as well.

Anyone who continues to do business with SOE is hurting this industry more than they could ever know.

Tecmo Bowl.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Thunderous

Note to ANYONE who continues to pay to play an SOE game:
    Wake the hell up and stop giving your money to these unethical turds...  Don't give us that "they are all unethical" argument either...  SOE has drastically changed the gameplay in SWG, EQ1, EQ2 after telling the playerbase each time they would not. 
    This EULA is frightening invasive for your computer as well.
    Anyone who continues to do business with SOE is hurting this industry more than they could ever know.

Agreed.

This is just disgusting. No other word for it. I have gone from a ambivilance, to distaste, to hate for this company in a matter of days.

never again.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Now that is one Eula that is flat out Illegal.  Are their lawyers that braindead too that they don't know about unenforcable contracts?

Good grief, they can't give away private information, without you actively authorizing it, that does not include agreeing to a Eula.  Any court in the land will toss that phrase out so fast....lots of case law to back that up!

If they give away personal information without proof you authorized it and that does not include accepting the Eula button, they are breaking lots of laws.  Maybe some agencies in Calif. should be looking at this company

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

:edit: never mind

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

Canceling my three accounts, and I remove ALL SOE games from my PC.  It is amazing that I have been able to tolerate this abuse for this long.

I am going back to WoW, when I return after my trip over winter, until something better is released.

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341

I am glad I quit playing their games too.I returned to SWG awhile back and actually started to have a little fun,and then the card game came out and I saw that all the cool and neat loot was funneling over to it instead of the game itself and quit right then.I am never going back to a SOE game,nor will I buy anything else that has the Sony name on it,because if they allow this company to do so many crooked things I am sure they are that way all across the Sony Company.

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

This is pretty bad. I've always been hoping that perhaps one day SOE could put the NGE and all their other mistakes behind them and eventually become a respected MMO developer. But with this new rule, it looks like that day is far off.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't say it's anymore pathetic than Blizzard's rules limiting one account per person. Think of it like this, if a parent wanted to purchase WoW for his/her three children, he/she would would need to buy the game three times and then proceede to pay the subscription fee x3. That right there is what I consider a flawed EULA.

Now I know of course only a fool wouldn't be able to get away with sharing an account with somebody who lives with you. But it still doesn't change that this a rule established by a sleazy company who will never get my money again.

• nervinervi Member UncommonPosts: 51

LAW goes over EULA any time.

They can put anything they want in the EULA, but that doesnt make certain things legal in a lot of countries, not even when they claim the player clicked on the eula.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I believe Mr Smedley is losing his mind completely.

This guy is totally losing the plot and he is ruining a company that potentially can make great games and could be the pillar of the MMORPG industry.

Instead they are just a big joke.

During the years he made some big mistakes, quite unforgivible for a CeO of a company:

1) SWG NGE (subscribers went definetly down, not up)

2) EQ2 ROK (Subscribers went definetly down, not up)

3) Montly Payments + RMT (Subscribers will go down....definetly)

4) Invasion of your Privacy (Some more subscribers will leave...almost definetly)

5) Smedley is a cronic liar (look at my signature, people don't like to be taken for fools)

Tell me how comes that in a company so much focused on make huge profit, a CeO with such a poor record is allowed to stay at the helm of the company?

Sony wake the fuck up pls, this guy is making you lose lots of money......

It s because of people like him which are unable to create a solid business able to attract new customers, that Sony is forced to fire so many workers.

If Sony keep CeOs like Smedley throughout all its divisions, no wonder that the company is doing so badly.

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621
    Originally posted by UWNVME

This is pretty bad. I've always been hoping that perhaps one day SOE could put the NGE and all their other mistakes behind them and eventually become a respected MMO developer. But with this new rule, it looks like that day is far off.
    Maybe it's just me, but I can't say it's anymore pathetic than Blizzard's rules limiting one account per person. Think of it like this, if a parent wanted to purchase WoW for his/her three children, he/she would would need to buy the game three times and then proceede to pay the subscription fee x3. That right there is what I consider a flawed EULA.
    Now I know of course only a fool wouldn't be able to get away with sharing an account with somebody who lives with you. But it still doesn't change that this a rule established by a sleazy company who will never get my money again.

It's one person per account, otherwise you got it right.

Edit: Actually the rules state that a paying adult can give one minor consent to play, and i can't say it's pathetic, what companies do you know off that encourages people to play together on one account?

If only you've read of the people that have had a friend delete their characters just for giggles, or what about the scornful girlfriend selling her boyfriends account?

The rule is there for a reason y'know.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

pfft i hated SOE before any of this RMT stuff, and people said i was an idiot to not like SOE.

Well you know what, now that all the SOE fanbois from EQ and EQ2 can get a taste of what the people from SWG had to go through. Lies, lies, and more lies.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621
    Originally posted by tvalentine

pfft i hated SOE before any of this RMT stuff, and people said i was an idiot to not like SOE.
    Well you know what, now that all the SOE fanbois from EQ and EQ2 can get a taste of what the people from SWG had to go through. Lies, lies, and more lies.

Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad as time went by.

Even though i didn't play SWG nearly long enough to be affected much by the NGE i still cancelled my account a week after NGE hit.

Maybe it's time get rid of smedley?