Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Chronicles of Spellborn: A Beta Look at Spellborn

13»

Comments

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Terranah

A cat has very fast reflexes but a very small brain, and ultimately it is our brains and intelligence that set us apart in the animal kingdom and establish our supremacy over the planet. 

Games that rely on reflexes are more for people who have attention deficit disorder.  A game that requires tactics and strategy is deeper and ultimately more rewarding.  Atleast for me.

There seems to be strategy involved in building your skill deck and in using this deck to define your character's role.

You can develop different decks for different situations, hence the Skill, strategy and thought inherent in the combat system.

But yes, it is not a click and forget combat system, apparently, and while many will welcome the more active style of combat some will not.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Yep you are right the skilldeck does take some skill to set out,I wrote a short beta review...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/212497

In pve you will use the movements to dodge attacks but in pvp it did come down to the players just running in circle's most of the time and not really skillful.

Also once you have your skilldeck as you like it you wont be changing it that often,maybe at lvl 50 once you get alot more skills but again once you settle on a skilldeck I dont see you changing it that often,unless maybe if you are a maybe say a void seer and want to go healing for a certain encounter but that isnt what this game is about,maybe from time to time you will change a spell here and there but for the most part you will settle on a skilldeck.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by Gel214th

Originally posted by Terranah

A cat has very fast reflexes but a very small brain, and ultimately it is our brains and intelligence that set us apart in the animal kingdom and establish our supremacy over the planet. 

Games that rely on reflexes are more for people who have attention deficit disorder.  A game that requires tactics and strategy is deeper and ultimately more rewarding.  Atleast for me.

There seems to be strategy involved in building your skill deck and in using this deck to define your character's role.

You can develop different decks for different situations, hence the Skill, strategy and thought inherent in the combat system.

But yes, it is not a click and forget combat system, apparently, and while many will welcome the more active style of combat some will not.

Yes, it looks to be a blend of both, which is what intrigues me about this game.  And the graphics too.  I will definitely try this game out when we get a NA launch :)

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Originally posted by Brone87

Clearly you think this is still the 90s when your choices are between Everquest and Ultima Online. However this is the year 2008 and MMORPG has become a term that is used to describe any game which features persistant characters and the support for thousands of users at a single time. Like it or not, if you want to roleplay go play D&D in your mothers basement.

OK.. I'm not going to argue with someone who is obviously a kid and who's main point seems to be that Roleplaying is stupid and has no place in an MMORPG...

How do you argue with someone like that?

PS- If you're going to mock a person do yourself a favor and learn how to spell the word before you use it TWICE. 

Against my better judgement, I'll take a stab at this.

Brone87, I believe you are misunderstanding his use of 'roleplay'. He isn't just talking about using roleplay-esque speech in chat, he isn't necessarily 'pretending' to actually be a mythical hero. He  means roleplay in a much broader sense.

In an mmorpg, you play a role, wether you like it or not.

A ranger has weapons suitable to a ranger's 'role'.

A ranger has spell, skills and abilities suitable to the 'role' of a ranger.

A ranger has armor that has stats suitable for enhancing the ranger's 'role'.

A ranger's armor looks like what you would expect from the ranger's 'role'.

You follow quests suitable for the 'role' of a ranger.

Replace ranger with any other roleplaying class. Mages, warriors, priests, etc.

You can use l337 speak all you want in the chat box, no matter how hard you try your toon will still be fullfilling a specific fantasy 'role'.

So, that being said, maybe the discussion should be, should we call all games where you have a massive number of multiple players online 'mmorpgs'? Probably not. His only real point is that the twitch system makes this more of a mmog in a fantasy setting, rather than fullfilling a true fantasy role. Because as he said, if you are playing the role of a ranger, you shouldn't be dependent upon the skills of a lazy suburbanite pressing buttons. No matter how good you are at pressing buttons, it doesn't make you a mythical hero.

And just for your edification; don't fool yourself into thinking that an mmo gamer is any less nerdy than a DnD player in their parents basement. Playing a mmorpg is the same damn thing without actual human contact. Better think twice about trying to win the girl by saying 'I am a hardcore mmorpg player'.

• toordtoord Member Posts: 139

@Brone: Completely out of place. Completely immature response.

Pen-and-Paper D&D (and to an extent even Warhammer) are so completely different than their online version that I could not begin to tell you how ignorant you sound. The former you actually require heavy planning of your toons and the MOST important part of the planning consists on figuring out what ROLE you want your PC to be. There are consequences to each choice you make and sometimes if you're not careful enough you end up with a gimp. And in the case of D&D, for the most part, death of a PC is permanent (regardless of level, riches, skills, etc)-- why don't you try that in a MMORPG ... let's see how 1337 you really are.

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481
    Originally posted by Getalife

I love th attitude of people who are so called hardcore TCOS fans. This forum for some reason reminds me of the earlier Saga Of Ryzom forums. Same elitiest attitude. This game is not for you and 'only for niche market' and other blah blah. Ryzom died twice and still no guarantee it will survive third time.
    Why do i feel this community will drive a lot of player base away and than kill this game?

Now I get it.... it's ok that pinheads coo about their preschool MMO's thread after thread. However pointing out TCOS won't be hand holding is somehow Elitist?!?

There are plenty who still play those other MMO's despite vulgar language and chuck Noris type nonsense.  I'd bet those who'd be driven away by Elitists wouldn't last more than a month in TCOS anyway.

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

In the end, the TCOS financial and executive groups decided what  'X number of players' is required to make the game viable as a profitable source of income. If they think they can do it with 100K, thats the number they have to reach. After that number was decided, they (hopefully) made the right decisions in the design of the game aspects to hold that number or greater. If they have enough subs to cover their expenses and pay salaries, it's a success.

A game doesn't have to be a 'WoW killer' to succeed, something a lot of folks seem to not realize. Personally, i didn't care for the game in CB. I'll give it another go when there is a NA release but I don't think it will end up as something I can play long term. I do hope for the sake of the genre/industry that is viable and makes a good go of it.

• toordtoord Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by Digna

In the end, the TCOS financial and executive groups decided what  'X number of players' is required to make the game viable as a profitable source of income. If they think they can do it with 100K, thats the number they have to reach. After that number was decided, they (hopefully) made the right decisions in the design of the game aspects to hold that number or greater. If they have enough subs to cover their expenses and pay salaries, it's a success.
    A game doesn't have to be a 'WoW killer' to succeed, something a lot of folks seem to not realize. Personally, i didn't care for the game in CB. I'll give it another go when there is a NA release but I don't think it will end up as something I can play long term. I do hope for the sake of the genre/industry that is viable and makes a good go of it.

Digna,

I'd be surprised if the manage to hold more than 10K subs. The MMO market has changed SO darned much since three years ago (when Spellborn was created) that whatever numbers or projections they made back then are completely meaningless today. The MMO market is very cutthroat nowadays. There's no 3-strikes-you're-out anymore. Now you swing and miss, and you're toast. Retention rates are pretty terrible (with the exception of WoW ... why ... who knows that game blows IMO). Look at AoC one of the most touted MMOs to date ... their subscription numbers halved in less than two months (who knows how low they are right now) ... WAR (I wonder how many of the original 700K subs they still have). There are just too many choices out there.

The *only* people who still defend defend this game tooth-and-nail are those who have been involved with the game in one way or another since the outset and now realize that all the time they spent helping shape the game might go up in smoke. Dare you say anything slightly negative about the game in their forums and you'll get decimated by these folks.

Peace.

• rageagainstrageagainst Member Posts: 618

Overall, I think that TCoS is going to be a solid game that will certainly appeal to the many people who have been asking for a game based more on intelligence, tactics and skill than dice rolls and button-pushing

OK.. This is the one line that drives me insane.  "Skill" based on button pushing/mouse moving in an RPG.  Sorry, but the Ranger/Archer I'm "ROLE PLAYING" probably has a lot more accuracy with  the bow he's been usiing the last 20 years than I do sitting behind my monitor here..
    The more these games trend to Mortal Kombat like fighting systems, the more they stray from their RPG roots...
    It could be a real fun game.. and I'm going to give the trial a shot but I really hate to see the editor of mmoRPG.com giving credence to this whole "skill"  concept.  This isn't MMOFPS.com after all..

i don't understand... don't you want to PLAY your character not just watch what your character does... w/e go play EQ and WoW please don't ruin games that stray from their guidelines by carebearing (though yeah the only thing different about this game is its combat system... but its RADICALLY different)

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

Lol according to this I'm bipolar :O

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by rageagainst

Overall, I think that TCoS is going to be a solid game that will certainly appeal to the many people who have been asking for a game based more on intelligence, tactics and skill than dice rolls and button-pushing

OK.. This is the one line that drives me insane.  "Skill" based on button pushing/mouse moving in an RPG.  Sorry, but the Ranger/Archer I'm "ROLE PLAYING" probably has a lot more accuracy with  the bow he's been usiing the last 20 years than I do sitting behind my monitor here..
    The more these games trend to Mortal Kombat like fighting systems, the more they stray from their RPG roots...
    It could be a real fun game.. and I'm going to give the trial a shot but I really hate to see the editor of mmoRPG.com giving credence to this whole "skill"  concept.  This isn't MMOFPS.com after all..

i don't understand... don't you want to PLAY your character not just watch what your character does... w/e go play EQ and WoW please don't ruin games that stray from their guidelines by carebearing (though yeah the only thing different about this game is its combat system... but its RADICALLY different)

No problem at all with twitch based games... but they are NOT MMORPGs and it's misleading to say that they are.  Rather.. they are story driven MMOFPS.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• rageagainstrageagainst Member Posts: 618

Originally posted by rageagainst

No problem at all with twitch based games... but they are NOT MMORPGs and it's misleading to say that they are.  Rather.. they are story driven MMOFPS.

i think the correct way to say it will probably be mmorps (roleplaying shooter)... but then again you don't always shoot, as sometimes you're wielding a sword. If what you were saying is ture, then oblivion would also be a fps, as would Mount and Blade... so i still think TCOS/Darkfall/MO are mmorpgs.

I mean there's still roleplaying and stuff, you're saying b/c you're char is so old, he should already be able to shoot a bow like a pro right? Well that will be partly true, i mean did you ever try to shoot a bow? I can barely keep the arrow on the string, these guys can keep the arrows on the string like pros :P. In group fights I mean, everyone still plays different roles, and there's a story, you're advocating that the combat system is what makes or breaks a whether or not a game is an "mmorpg"...

Ugh anyway I learned this game is paytoplay... so no way I'm going to play this IF darkfall is out because this game is yet another themepark (though with cool combat). If darkfall is delayed/fails I'll probably play this, or maybe just wait for MO, depends on how much I like this game after trying it.

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

Lol according to this I'm bipolar :O

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I completely disagree with you and your assessment. I see no reason why a more visceral combat style can't be used. So waht if you are role playing. That has to do more with a role and perhaps even self made stories.

But it is very acceptable to my way of thinking that a role playing game can rely upon twitch based fighting.

Perhaps you need to bone up on your improvisational skills?

Quite frankly it sounds to me that you are stuck on definitions and names and labels. Sorry but it just seems a bit rigid to me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

Indeed. After playing these games for what seems forever...I'm all about having some faster paced combat that is more than "press auto-attack, spam specials".

CoS is a glimmer of hope for the MMO genre as a whole.

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Companies that keep spliting the world player database based on the players IP dont deserve any attention and players should not play their games.

TCOS is another exmaple of market spliting. Europe vs US etc.

Adding to that has very outdated graphics.. another fail in the horizon i guess.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • HazmalHazmal Member CommonPosts: 1,013

Im not sure if mommy didn't tell you, but Santa Clause isn't real and neither is your level 20 Ranger/Archer. Again if you wanna roleplay do it in your mothers basement, cause If you come across me in Spellborn I'll send you home crying as you shout "lightining bolt" "lightining bolt" and nothing happens.

You can almost see the internet muscles.  I won't be playing this game for fear of running into this guy in-game.  I would hate to get uber pwned by his mad skillz, since I am nub and all.

------------------
    Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Joibest
    Good preview there.
    Being an old beta tester I have to admit that most points made are more or less true (positive and negative).
    It's possible that some "casual"  players will be dissatisfied with the "rough" start (basic inventory, no markers for quests).
    I for one would wish that people will give this game a chance, since its true magic is revealed at later levels (eg. there is, currently, nothing in the MMO world like the PVP fights among two characters with full skill decks).
    See you there....

Agree... and I, for one, am really looking forward to giving the game a spin. I had pretty much given up hope of it ever coming out. And hearing that they're going to have a free play area is great news. My daughter loves to 'try' MMORPG's out but rarely sticks with them beyond level 5 (which winds up wasting me lots of money). I love the idea of a free play area she can go play in without having to fork over money for it. If she winds up liking the game and sticking with it then I can spend money on it for her. MUCH better system.

Also, having played DDO I found I REALLY loved the 'twitchy' feel that combat had in it. Glad to see another MMO is taking that route. I also like what I am hearing about the quest system. I love that the dialog actually matters as well! Might keep people from just blowing through the *reading* and just hitting the response buttons ;)

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Here is the big problem i have with SPELLBORN.It sounds like it is done the way i like a game to be done,no hand holding and some skill involved.Ok they got that part right.

Here is the problem >>>PVP.We the players or at least some of us do NOT want to be in a PVP mode 100% of the time.There is times when i just want to be left alone doing something else,maybe even just standing there chatting to another player.Sometimes i get real tired and just want to walk away from the PC for 5 minutes and grab a drink ,without logging out,sometimes there is a guild chat discussion going on,who knows ,but there is lots of times in a game,when i don't want anything to do with PVP and i want that choice.

I do not know a lot about this game on th sole premise it is PVP based and i don't usually show interest in PVP base MMO'RPG's.This game will work ONLY if PVP is not forced at all times.Like maybe you are passing through hostile territory or in a zone that is hotly contested for its minerals,what ever,just so long as you don't have to look over your shoulder every 2 seconds.I like the game to be twitched based,i don't want my neck to become twitch based from looking over my shoulder ..lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HonkieHonkie Member Posts: 152

Wizardry, I'd suggest you play on a pve server then.  Hey, novel idea that one!  From my limited understanding of them (I don't want to play on one) there will be pvp areas that are entirely avoidable if you don't want it.  No need to get all bent about "pvp mode 100%" captain sir, just play on the other type of server.

Also, I'd suggest not putting your monitor behind your head, to prevent neck issues like you mentioned.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am turned watching TV a lot ,not always focused on the game at hand.However i did not know they have PVE servers,that is a good thing i think.It would be interesting to see twitch based combat  vs NPC's.I hope there are several skills involved because just point and click ,like Unreal Tournament twitch based is too easy and boring unless your playing a real person or an aimbot,then it is impossible....VERY HARD to pull off a good NPC AI,actually i would say near impossible.Still it would be interesting to see how these guys do it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i gather spellborn offers a starter area trial from the word go . shame warhammer did nt do that . i m not over keen if i cant play with friends si ve made in other european mmos . but on the plus side if the british are with the americans it gives me a chance to make some american friends if i decide to play .... then again i ve only read the rumors in these forums so i could be totally wrong about what i ve heard . like any mmo i wish it well . most of them have something hald decent to offer for at least a few months .

like most people i dont expect another warcraft in terms of popularity . for me mmos have become as much about the community as the game . wow really proberbly does nt have the best community broadly speaking , i m lucky because with my two characters there i m in two different  family run guilds and thier real life friends that form the core membership . so when i return its like playing with old mates . i think spellborn would be very wise to drop the ip blocking on some european countrys because a lot of us have formed friendships with dutch norweigen and sweedish people in other mmos . it should be down to the individual where they want to play .

• Relentless02Relentless02 Member UncommonPosts: 126

Tim Burton style! I knew that the visual style reminded me of something but I couldn't put my finger on it, and the writter pointed it out.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

IP Blocking? Splitting Europe in 2? WTF?

Screw Spellborn !

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• fusionx212fusionx212 Member UncommonPosts: 137

i don't think it's a wise idea but i don't think SIL (the developer) had the resources distribute it with out the publishers

acclaim bought the rights ... so i guess they paid the most money for NA AND UK and other countries for the biggest chunk of market and revenue

in my opinioned this game is worth the divide i've played beta for europe and realy enjoyed it and it's so close to cb now for uk and Na im sure you'll be seeing alot more about this game....

It's all Lies...