Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whopervirgins

Comments

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Originally posted by Sheista

That didn't explain a single thing as to why anyone would be offended,  but thanks for playing.

Well, I would have hoped it wasn't too hard. I will try to explain.

American views on what food represents are very different to European's.

We do not see food as commodity, we see it as a privilege. Any privilege should be honered and treated with respect, this includes foods of any kind.

Bringing foods to another country just for taste testing would not go down very well here, this commercial would probably been taken of the air here.

You are expected to treat food with a certain respect and are to be respectfull around people who lack foods or who are not privileged enough to choose the foods you can or are not able to afford them. This commercial directly violates said feelings which are cultural in nature.

How were they not respectful?  They didn't force anyone to eat a bite of hamburger.  Some people in the video even turned it down and they were fine with that.  It is a sad world when someone gets offended by seeing someone sharing a bite of another culture's food with someone who has never had that.

In no way was this ad taunting people with food they couldn't have.  If you watched the entire thing, then you'd see that the villagers also shared their own style of food in return and the people loved it.  They weren't rubbing it in anyone's face saying "We have this and you don't".  If that's what you got from this video, then you're a very pessimistic person.

What I saw, was one culture sharing their food with another culture, and getting the same in return.  Yes, it is a marketing campaign, but it went beyond simply comparing Whoppers and Big Macs.  Had they left it at a simple taste test comparison, then I might see where you're coming from.  But they went farther than that, and turned it into a cultural experience for everyone involved.

Edit: Honestly, the only reason I think people are even slightly offended by this is because it is a fast food chain doing it.  Were it any other group of people, introducing another culture to a new type of food, I am willing to bet nobody would raise a brow.  But because fast food has such a negative connotation, people are looking at this whole thing in a negative manner.

Edit2: The guy at the end even -preferred- his own food to ours, and they showed that in the video.  I am baffled at how people can think this campaign was disrespectful or 'disgusting' in any way.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I agree that the add in itself might not be too bad when you look at it objectively. Still, we treat food very differently here.

Just like filling your plate up completely with food would be considered pretty rude here, I know it's acceptable in the US.  It's a different culture I guess, but anything you do here with food is to be done very respectfully, people would be highly offended here to see food being transported for the sole purpose of a taste test.

Even though they exchanged food and the people in the video didn't mind, people here would still take offense.

I understand your point, but try to understand ours, it's just tradition to be very carefull how you treat food. But you have a point too =).

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

There is no reason to get offended by the Whoper ad. Its just plain stupid to get all hot and bothered by it. And it really is stupid. Now, if they tricked someone who worshipped cows to eat a burger then I can see how it could be construed as offensive as you are tricking them...but they didn't do that.

Like I said before, this world is turning into a bunch of *u*****.  I swear...let's go and buy everyone pink cashmere sweaters and a Celene (sp) Dion CD. Our ancestors would beat the shit out of us for being so stupid and idiotic if they could.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

I agree that the add in itself might not be too bad when you look at it objectively. Still, we treat food very differently here.
    Just like filling your plate up completely with food would be considered pretty rude here, I know it's acceptable in the US.

i lived in Germany my junior year in high school as part of the AFS exchange student program. I'm sorry, I saw TONS of people filling up their plates. I don't buy that.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by Enigma

i lived in Germany my junior year in high school as part of the AFS exchange student program. I'm sorry, I saw TONS of people filling up their plates. I don't buy that.

Well I have lived here all my life =). I think I know what the proper way to present food and which is not. You will not find one restaurant here which will fill your plate up.

If you go to a respected restaurant and do not leave a bit of food on your plate before you leave, it will usually not be taken in gratitude. Leaving something on your plate signifies that you had enough and you enjoyed the meal. Eating everything from your plate means you wanted more and leaving a place like this is rude.

Not many high students will know these rules and you only start to learn them when you are an adult. These rules do not apply to kids or youngsters.

Knowing this can mean the difference between being seen as an outsider or someone you can become friends with.

Not everyone follows these either, but many will find this commercial offensive, and so did I.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

If you don't see how stupid, offensive and disgusting these people are, and how moronic they sound and look doing thier STUPID experiment, there is something very wrong with you, sorry.

My only hope is that the guy that got the jacket, maybe that made him think about his own stupidity embarking in that sillyness.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203
    Originally posted by altairzq

If you don't see how stupid, offensive and disgusting these people are, and how moronic they sound and look doing thier STUPID experiment, there is something very wrong with you, sorry.
    My only hope is that the guy that got the jacket, maybe that made him think about his own stupidity embarking in that sillyness.

That was so helpful I forgot to thank you.  And I will continue to not thank you.

Originally posted by altairzq

the only stupid thing is when people get offended over the most retarded things.  Seriously. Think about it. Your all offended because Burger King is letting cultures who never experienced a cheeseburger choose the best one. Its a Cheese burger for God's sake. Its not like they are giving them an entire gallon of transfat a day as a thank you gift.

Did you get all pissed off when they show the chinese boy at a movie theatre having his first Coca Cola? I swear, you types need to lighten up.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Well I have lived here all my life =). I think I know what the proper way to present food and which is not. You will not find one restaurant here which will fill your plate up.

If you go to a respected restaurant and do not leave a bit of food on your plate before you leave, it will usually not be taken in gratitude. Leaving something on your plate signifies that you had enough and you enjoyed the meal. Eating everything from your plate means you wanted more and leaving a place like this is rude.

Not many high students will know these rules and you only start to learn them when you are an adult. These rules do not apply to kids or youngsters.

Knowing this can mean the difference between being seen as an outsider or someone you can become friends with.

Not everyone follows these either, but many will find this commercial offensive, and so did I.

Yah, well here in the south when offered food, and you sit down to eat with somebody, whether family or otherwise, a plate that has been prepared homemade and you leave food on it is an insult to the person that cooked it. In fact, in many cases the polite thing is to ask for seconds. It shows an appreciation and desire for the tastiness of the food. If there was such a reverence for food as you say, then I would think it'd be quite insulting to waste food by leaving it on your plate.

All cultures are different. Which the cultures in this commercial didn't seem to be offended at all. So guess what, your oration on what is supposedly acceptable and not acceptable in your culture, IS MOOT. Just as is mine. Because they didn't take the frickin' burgers to Germany, or Texas.

So I guess I should have just said I agree with iggy 101%.

P.S. If germanic relationships are built upon such a shallow thing as how hungry one presents themself to be...Glad I don't live there.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

First, NO ONE should eat Burger King - ever

Burger King is the most unhealthful of all of them.

Second, see first.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I think the documentary was presented in a respectful fashion.

Bit of anti-American agenda on these forums sometimes, people seem to think American, big business, fast food - negative connatation. If you actually look at it objectively theres nothing wrong with this video.

O_o o_O

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

I'm sorry, but that video was EXTREMELY respectful of the food. Maybe not so much of the cultures (walking up and offering people food randomly could be seen as rude), but they didn't put a gun to their head and tell them to pick their favorite. They wanted unique opinions and everyone involved seemed to have fun.

They actually made a special cooker JUST TO MAKE SURE THE FOOD WAS PREPARED CORRECTLY. That's respect. The whole "well leaving food/not leaving food is disrespectful" is a moot point because all cultures disagree on this. In some, not asking for seconds means you don't like it. So what, because your culture doesn't agree, it means you're right? Try again.

They also weren't taking advantage of anyone because they didn't have much food. They went to remote locations, regardless of how much or little they normally ate, and tried the food themselves in exchange for the offered food. In case some of you missed it, some of the people had, you know, homes. Expensive goods. It wasn't a video about poor people eating food. It was a video about more isolated people trying something for the first time. It's also meant to make us, who have tried burgers, reflect on our own lives and realize that there are a LOT of unique things out there that we haven't tried or experienced. You know, like the fact that what we find offensive isn't so to others.

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317
    Originally posted by declaredemer

Second, see first.

Burger King offends me, we do not believe in monarchy here.  I'm boycotting until it gets changed to Burger President, then getting offended again until they change the name to burger equal person, then I am going to get offended because they are giving the burger preferential treatment over the other foods.  I'll consider not being offended when it and every other resteraunt is call "food place".  That is offensive to the drinks though...

member of imminst.org

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562
    Originally posted by Sheista

I don't know why people say this is 'disgusting and offensive'.
    How can someone be offended by it?  I can understand not liking fast food.. But I thought it was really cool.  They went to countries where people hadn't been affected by marketing, and had never experienced their food.  Not only that, but these people had never experienced a -burger- period.  They introduced them to something new.  They shared cultures while they were there.  They fixed their food for the villagers, and then the villagers let them try their food too.
    How is that offensive? They didn't demean anyone.

People with hate in their hearts are easily offended.

• VemoiVemoi Member Posts: 1,546
    Originally posted by n25philly

Originally posted by declaredemer

Second, see first.

Burger King offends me, we do not believe in monarchy here.  I'm boycotting until it gets changed to Burger President, then getting offended again until they change the name to burger equal person, then I am going to get offended because they are giving the burger preferential treatment over the other foods.  I'll consider not being offended when it and every other resteraunt is call "food place".  That is offensive to the drinks though...

I'm greatly offended that you are offended.

On the video. I thought it was really interesting. What was with the tiny hats? When I was in Portugal, they ate their burgers with knife and fork. First time I had seen that.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Still, we treat food very differently here.

I lived in Hungary and Romania and stayed for quite lengthy visits in Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, Italy and France. With those experiences I can easily say get off your high horse. Food is not treated as a "privilege". Even in the small villages I lived in, they provide enormous amounts of food - to much for even us fat Americans you despise so much.

The only culture difference I noticed with food is a sense of pride in the cooking, but that is all. Your finding offense in nothing just to project your negative view of the US.

Originally posted by Dekron

I lived in Hungary and Romania and stayed for quite lengthy visits in Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, Italy and France. With those experiences I can easily say get off your high horse. Food is not treated as a "privilege". Even in the small villages I lived in, they provide enormous amounts of food - to much for even us fat Americans you despise so much.
    The only culture difference I noticed with food is a sense of pride in the cooking, but that is all. Your finding offense in nothing just to project your negative view of the US.

Ok, whatever. I don't care where you used to live.

I have stayed respectfull up to this point, but I'll reply to you and make my last post on this.

You could have lived on the moon and I would still not consider you European unless you were born here.

So keep your arrogant backwards US attitude to yourself instead of pretending you actually know how people are like here.

I don't need to be nice to everyone, redneck. You don't even speak my language but you know the customs here. Really, you are so full of yourself that there's probably no room for a pet in your house.

I wasn't negative about the US at all, but about the ad. And it's 'you' not 'your', but I'm sure you knew this since you speak.....nm you only speak English.

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704

You could have lived on the moon and I would still not consider you European unless you were born here.

So keep your arrogant backwards US attitude to yourself instead of pretending you actually know how people are like here.

I don't need to be nice to everyone, redneck. You don't even speak my language but you know the customs here. Really, you are so full of yourself that there's probably no room for a pet in your house.

I wasn't negative about the US at all, but about the ad. And it's 'you' not 'your', but I'm sure you knew this since you speak.....nm you only speak english.

I was following this thread and just because it cracks me up that people treat food like they do. As to Dekron's comments I find it somewhat arrogant on his comments to. I agree with you, people shouldn't think they know a culture 100% just because they visited there.

Who let you in the VIP section?

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Originally posted by Tyres100

I wasn't negative about the US at all, but about the ad. And it's 'you' not 'your', but I'm sure you knew this since you speak.....nm you only speak english.

I was following this thread and just because it cracks me up that people treat food like they do. As to Dekron's comments I find it somewhat arrogant on his comments to. I agree with you, people shouldn't think they know a culture 100% just because they visited there.

And yet people are getting offended about one culture they're not a part of (US) meeting with other cultures they're not involved with (more isolated parts of the world).

Hmm...

Oh and Waterlily, I find it terribly amusing that you're insulting Dek for being arrogant, backwards, and a redneck... when you're exactly what you claim he is. It's pretty sad, because you were the ONLY person here to explain why it was you found the video insulting, which, while I didn't agree, was still helpful to understanding your point of view, yet you prove yourself to be no better than the stereotype you hate.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

I wasn't negative about the US at all, but about the ad. And it's 'you' not 'your', but I'm sure you knew this since you speak.....nm you only speak English.

Actually, it is you're, not you. I made a typo, oh no! The world is going to end!

I never said I was European. What I said was that I lived there long enough to see what you are saying is complete and utter bullshit.

Finally, you have shown your disdain for the US in some of your previous posts in other threads. And no, I don't only speak English. Nice assumption you made there. Here is a nice English lesson for you. Go look up what it means for one who assumes.

To add, the term redneck does not offend me, nor anyone else you think you are insulting. And it really is very humorous to see you emphasizing that word. It seems that you think I would shutter upon reading it.

Hungarian has some of the best insults and curse phrases. Fos nyalo is my favorite, I believe. Now, that would be offensive. That, or referring to someone as a Lo fasz. Good stuff.

• MandarrMandarr Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by Triggger

Originally posted by billie

whopper virgins campaign

This is pathetic in every way. Why don`t they show them some pictures of what scoffing burgers do to you in the long run. They could show them some pictures of fat burger eating yank(god knows there are enough of them) or something like this..

images.google.co.uk/imgres

Are you trying to say there's no fat people elsewhere in this world?  lol too funny.  Anyway, the add was stupid to me, but not offensive to me, but if it is to other people I really honestly couldn't care less. 

This website is a safe haven for trolls and haters. I'm done with this pathetic site.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Actually, it is you're, not you. I made a typo, oh no! The world is going to end!

I never said I was European. What I said was that I lived there long enough to see what you are saying is complete and utter bullshit.

Finally, you have shown your disdain for the US in some of your previous posts in other threads. And no, I don't only speak English. Nice assumption you made there. Here is a nice English lesson for you. Go look up what it means for one who assumes.

To add, the term redneck does not offend me, nor anyone else you think you are insulting. And it really is very humorous to see you emphasizing that word. It seems that you think I would shutter upon reading it.

Hungarian has some of the best insults and curse phrases. Fos nyalo is my favorite, I believe. Now, that would be offensive. That, or referring to someone as a Lo fasz. Good stuff.

Yeah the chances of offending a American by calling one of us a redneck is pretty slim. I think Foxworthy put it best. Everyone at some point is a redneck. It is a lack of manners or stuff like that. Everyone has one of those moments and therefor everyone has been a redneck. Also its just dam near immposible to insult us as a European, just go look up where yankee doodle came from.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

I have stayed respectfull up to this point, but I'll reply to you and make my last post on this.

the hypocrisy runs deep in this post. You call dekron arrogant, yet your post wreaks of it as well.  I agree with what dekron said in that earlier post "Your finding offense in nothing just to project your negative view of the US". I couldnt have said it better myself. But what do i know, i'm not as smart as the master races of europe, because i'm just a stupid american stereotype.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

I've only ate at Mc donalds once in my life because I was brought up eating fresh food as my step dad is a chef. It made me feel sick and I never ate there again and I wondered how people could it it and not feel sick unless everyone is unhealthy and feels like shit all the time.

It tasted like old food that has been sitting around for ages and reheated in a microwave. The quality of the meat was piss poor and tasted like it was processed like the nasty cheese that was in it was. The Lettice looked really old and the ketchup was that stupid sugar full stuff that doens't even taste like tomatos. The Fries aswel are no match for good old homemade big chips and I don't drink Coke so......

I'd rather bake some nice fresh bread and a nice Steak with proper cheese and make my own with fresh natural ingredients.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by Finwe

Yah, well here in the south when offered food, and you sit down to eat with somebody, whether family or otherwise, a plate that has been prepared homemade and you leave food on it is an insult to the person that cooked it. In fact, in many cases the polite thing is to ask for seconds. It shows an appreciation and desire for the tastiness of the food. If there was such a reverence for food as you say, then I would think it'd be quite insulting to waste food by leaving it on your plate.

All cultures are different. Which the cultures in this commercial didn't seem to be offended at all. So guess what, your oration on what is supposedly acceptable and not acceptable in your culture, IS MOOT. Just as is mine. Because they didn't take the frickin' burgers to Germany, or Texas.

So I guess I should have just said I agree with iggy 101%.

P.S. If germanic relationships are built upon such a shallow thing as how hungry one presents themself to be...Glad I don't live there.

Game, set, and match, winner: Finwe.

Well played, and well put

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

This discussion has been closed.