Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeons & Dragons' fourth edition, online tools

Anyone got info on when this is supposed to release? What can be so hard about getting this one out the door? It's not like they are making a full fledged MMORPG or anything.

DnD Online Tools

Edit: I think this one is on hold, may turn into vaporware. Oh well. Sounded like a good idea.

Comments

• OmeseolrOmeseolr Member Posts: 1

Sorry, but I've heard little about it, and I would like to konw more by cliking on the tool link you kindly provided, failed though, so very little conception of it.

• Thoth11Thoth11 Member Posts: 17

If you go to the Wizards of the Coast Website, they have some details on the new online tools. If you sign up for their online magazine, you will be able to access the Character Builder Online Tool Beta version. It is pretty sweet!  Good for levels 1-3 for now. I introduced my girlfriend to 4th that way. It made it a lot easier for her than going through pen and paper.

See it here...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/insider/characterbuilder

T

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Anyone got info on when this is supposed to release? What can be so hard about getting this one out the door? It's not like they are making a full fledged MMORPG or anything.

DnD Online Tools

Edit: I think this one is on hold, may turn into vaporware. Oh well. Sounded like a good idea.

D&D Insider currently features Dragon Magazine, Dungeon Mag, the character builder and a couple other cool little things. Subscribers get first crack at scenarios and the update/news sections are well informed.  If you play seriously, especially if you GM, the current subscription price is worth it, but DDI is not required to play.

If you are refering to the "Digital Tabletop" well yeah..it is looking more and more to be vaporware.   As far as i know, they just couldn't get it to work out right, and Hasbro (WotC parent company, who wants money now) has run out of patience.

WotC/Hasbro just layed off  much of the design team for the Digital Tabletop and a good portion of the 4th ed team too.  While shake ups like this are common in the PnP game arena, especially after a major launch, there is something in all this that just doesn't feel right.  Hopefully, things will get back on track.

I heard that too Korhindi. There seems to be a lot of stuff happening at Wizards of the Coast, including a few layoffs that made me raise my eyebrowin my perfect Spock impression. I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does.

I like to think positive though.

:)

T

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Thoth11

I heard that too Korhindi. There seems to be a lot of stuff happening at Wizards of the Coast, including a few layoffs that made me raise my eyebrowin my perfect Spock impression. I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does.
    I like to think positive though.
    :)
    T

You and me both Thoth11.

I know that the edition wars have been pretty severe, but I really don't like to see anyone fail.  I read a post from one of the devs that the Tabletop was not released because they were not comfortable with its quality.  I can fully understand that.  I applaud the makers, but it seems the WotC/Hasbro shareholders did not agree.

It is almost like WotC wanted to break into the MMO market without fully comprehending what is involved.   They tried to take the P&P game to that market and scored mixed results.

This is my opinion of course, but it seems their attempt to break in was stifled with unreal expectaions and managed to alienate a good chunk of the fanbase in the process--- thus the edition wars, and the missing features (Digital Tabletop, etc.),  for example.

Very good point.

I agree 100 percent. It is too bad actually, because I think it could have been something great.

I think that the Tabletop RPing games may be going out, slowly but surely. It is too bad though. I love the social interaction that I get from playing a good game around a table.

MMOs have their place as well, but I still miss the weekly game with the guys. Now we play once a month, if that.