Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you trust ncsoft enough to buy aion given they ve closed down tabula rasa so soon ?

Comments

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

As long as nobody on the Aion team is wanting to take a 30 million dollar space trip... I'd trust them.

I was a pretty big Richard Garriott fanboi back in the day... but I think that was pretty bad form.  I think when your name is "on the box" you have an obligation to the company that gave you the development funds AND the people who bought your product.

To at least have some image of being involved IN the product.  Or to show some interest in saving the product with "your name on the box" when its obviously in trouble.

So I'm not sure I exactly blame NCSoft here... and why would anyone expect them to run the game at a loss?

Well if it was SOE then TR would probably still be running.. but that's an entirely different topic.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

I trust NCSoft enough, and will Aion. Nothing in what happened with TR showed to me they're inefficient. I played TR for 3 months, so it's not from a pov of ignorance. They have reasons for this decision, and whether or not we like or understand them, it's done.

Whining about it won't change what Aion will or won't be. It's a shame those still playing TR will lose out, but it happens. Life goes on, and the only thing we can do is move along with it, or get stuck behind in a loop of regret and self-pity.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by googajoob7

the problem for ncsoft now is why trust them to invest in buying and subscribing to something like aion . they ve proven twice its not worth the time and effort of leveling characters in one of thier mmos . i ve only tried tabula rasa now because i got it cheap and am playing out the first month . i would nt say its the best mmo but neither is it the worst . what i cant understand is why give your company such a bad name by shutting down something this quickly .( vanguards still going even if its not that popular at least that shows soe has some respect for its user base ) .
    my personal view is they should have tried a different payment model , used in game advertising or added it as part of a package with one of their other mmos . or even sold it on to another company to continue it  . shutting it down is the worst thing they could have done .

I think this is the big problem... When you play a game you play it for fun and if peoples begin to think about how much time they have put in a characters is more important, well maibe they should just stop playin mmo. In fact the major point here is playing and have fun while it last. I mean at the end what is more important? The fun you had while playing the game or this tons of pixels?

When i start a character i dont think how much he will be cool at max lvl with the end- game armor set. I just think about having fun. If gaming begin to look like Penal labourand i start to count the time and effort, well i stop plying it.

• markaedwmarkaedw Member Posts: 10

I trust NC Soft for any of their games. I'm not sure I would trust "Lord British" again though. he is the real blame for the failure of Tabula Rasa

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

no not after AA and TR. i'll wait to read some reviews and hear some player feedback 1st.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

No I would never trust NCSoft with a Launch game again.

The fact that westerners would have loved to have a "Pass" and their complete Ignoreing of it is proof that were little more than fluff for their asian market.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by markaedw

I trust NC Soft for any of their games. I'm not sure I would trust "Lord British" again though. he is the real blame for the failure of Tabula Rasa

While RG definately has to take some blame, I am sure NCSoft has to shoulder some of that load as well.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by googajoob7

the problem for ncsoft now is why trust them to invest in buying and subscribing to something like aion . they ve proven twice its not worth the time and effort of leveling characters in one of thier mmos . i ve only tried tabula rasa now because i got it cheap and am playing out the first month . i would nt say its the best mmo but neither is it the worst . what i cant understand is why give your company such a bad name by shutting down something this quickly .( vanguards still going even if its not that popular at least that shows soe has some respect for its user base ) .
    my personal view is they should have tried a different payment model , used in game advertising or added it as part of a package with one of their other mmos . or even sold it on to another company to continue it  . shutting it down is the worst thing they could have done .

I don't think the Aion closing down is a possibility. NCSoft derives most of their revenue running Lineage and Lineage 2 in southeast Asia (SK notably). Aion is, in spirit, a successor to those games, and has generated quite a bit of buzz in NCSoft's back yard (so to speak). Auto Asault, and even moreso TR, were developed to be successful in the Euro/North American markets, which faied miserably some might say.

I don't know if I will play Aion. I am not a fantasy player for the most part. I will miss the potential of TR. I don't know if "trust" is a word I would pursue in this cause, because I have come to trust that if a game was not profitable, NCSoft will scrap it (as opposed to SOE station passing it). Personally, I don't know which plan is better. It's certainly a different way of doing business. In NCSoft's case, I will give them the benefit of being able to say that they don't want a game running that reflects negetively on their reputation, which seems to be an aspect with which SOE has no problems....

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I played both LIneage2 and TR and i can tel lyou NCSOFT does not listen nor do they care about there player base one bit.I think they laugh at us over here and just rely on there HUGE Korean market to continue drawing income from.

Tr is a game that you can actually BLAME NCSOFT for ruining.They took over the project and if i am not mistaken got rid of half the group that made the game and inserted there own people and ideas.If i remember it right they actually changed the game from it's original state a lot,so who knows what the game could have been.

The point is NCSOFT is a rubbish developer,that NEVER shows respect to it's customers.They are by far the worst on my list.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Who cares about buying AION?  If you were a subscriber when they announced the cancellation of Tabula Rasa, then you already are gonna get it for free.

To me the typical $50 game has about a month of playability before I shelve it, a good one might see more playability.  So a $50 loss in purchasing this game is justifiable since I got a good month of fun playing before I wasn't interested in it anymore.  The fact I can't play it anymore doesn't really affect me since I wasn't planning to play the game again anyway.  If I did want to continue enjoying Tabula Rasa but it was cut short as a result of this cancellation, then hey atleast they rewarded me with several other games for free.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I played both LIneage2 and TR and i can tel lyou NCSOFT does not listen nor do they care about there player base one bit.I think they laugh at us over here and just rely on there HUGE Korean market to continue drawing income from.
    Tr is a game that you can actually BLAME NCSOFT for ruining.They took over the project and if i am not mistaken got rid of half the group that made the game and inserted there own people and ideas.If i remember it right they actually changed the game from it's original state a lot,so who knows what the game could have been.
    The point is NCSOFT is a rubbish developer,that NEVER shows respect to it's customers.They are by far the worst on my list.

I played Lineage 2 for several months after giving up SWG, and SL meltdown. I got lucky and fell into a good guild early on, it was the first time I was associating with players using vent (I mean let's be honest, the chat system was horrible). At a point (the point I quit), I realized I wished I had listened to the reviews which summed it up, a very good looking game (for the time) that was vapid of anything but grinding. Other than easing the levelling process, I don't think there was anything NCSoft could do to improve that game. All that would have done would have been to lead me to quitting sooner.

I am equally not surprised that TR was scrapped one or two times. It was billed as a collaboration of "east and west" developers. That also, at the time, was completely going to fail. The two markets, on core points, had nothing in common. I did play TR for two months, one at launch, and one last month. I was having a bit of fun (all solo), but once the announcement came down, I left. I don't know if I would have stuck around anyway.

I don't know if NCSoft is a bad developer overall, they just don't seem to make games that really appeal to me. On the other hand they host L2, City of, and Guild Wars, which all seem to be somewhat popular (just not up my alley I guess).

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Not neccesarily distruct in ncsoft, I just won't buy another mmorpg again until it has been running for at least 6 months.

Learned my lesson with AoC. Will not fall for something like that again.

Worst thing that can happen is that I will arive 6 months late in a game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by kinglee

Tabula Rasa was a terrible game its concept was changed multiple times, its project was started multiple times costing NCSoft millions which they were never able to gain back. They're essentially bleeding money by leaving Tabula Rasa run, its not the first time they've cut losses that are justified by the state of the game.

NcSoft went into their deal with the Garriotts with good faith on the part of NcSoft.  They expected competence, talent and effort and were disappointed every step of the way.   .
    People should keep in mind that NcSoft also must listen to their stockholders.  Would you buy NcSoft stock if the company continued to pour money down the TR rathole?
    Aion was developed by developers, not by a egomaniac whose star power has come and gone.   Lineage and COH and of course GW are successful.   I think NcSoft is a good company, has been treated badly  by a a selfish American drama queen, and deserves a break.

This! Nothing more, nothing less!

The only person to blame here is Richard Garriott himself. He should go hide in shame, never to return in the game industry ever!

Instead of really putting his soul, sweat and blood into this game... he was more busy with his fanatism to go into space by ripping off NcSoft to try fund his little space expedition.

Remember Richard's Community letters at the end of beta and shortly after launch? Give me a break!

He has become a disgrace to himself and to his fans who he let down misserably. Just like Brad McQuad did.

Both of them have turned into elitish selfish egomaniacs, only seeing $$$ signs in their eyes.

Richard Garriott did nothing substantial for Tabula Rasa, other then just slapping his name on the product. Pushed the game out of the door and let us all rot with a half assed game and false promisses. And even worse... he let his own developers rot in their US office, while he went off on his space expedition.

So NO! NcSoft isn't to blame at all.   They have been ripped off by this egomaniac, just like all of us.

Cheers

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

Tabula Rasa was a terrible game its concept was changed multiple times, its project was started multiple times costing NCSoft millions which they were never able to gain back. They're essentially bleeding money by leaving Tabula Rasa run, its not the first time they've cut losses that are justified by the state of the game.

NcSoft went into their deal with the Garriotts with good faith on the part of NcSoft.  They expected competence, talent and effort and were disappointed every step of the way.   .
    People should keep in mind that NcSoft also must listen to their stockholders.  Would you buy NcSoft stock if the company continued to pour money down the TR rathole?
    Aion was developed by developers, not by a egomaniac whose star power has come and gone.   Lineage and COH and of course GW are successful.   I think NcSoft is a good company, has been treated badly  by a a selfish American drama queen, and deserves a break.

The only person to blame here is Richard Garriott himself. He should go hide in shame, never to return in the game industry ever!

Instead of really putting his soul, sweat and blood into this game... he was more busy with his fanatism to go into space by ripping off NcSoft to try fund his little space expedition.

Remember Richard's Community letters at the end of beta and shortly after launch? Give me a break!

He has become a disgrace to himself and to his fans who he let down misserably. Just like Brad McQuad did.

Both of them have turned into elitish selfish egomaniacs, only seeing $$$ signs in their eyes.

Richard Garriott did nothing substantial for Tabula Rasa, other then just slapping his name on the product. Pushed the game out of the door and let us all rot with a half assed game and false promisses. And even worse... he let his own developers rot in their US office, while he went off on his space expedition.

So NO! NcSoft isn't to blame at all.   They have been ripped off by this egomaniac, just like all of us.

Cheers

Am I the only one who see a contradiction here??

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

RG was laffing his azz off to all the gamers he screwed over. Instead of going in orbit he should have been on terra ferma fixing the piece of junk he put out. NCsoft tried to fix it after buzz lightyear got the boot but it was too little too late by then. Too much money lost on that RG trash.

Its  too bad really, If given a little more time maybe it could have turned out to be good.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Draccan

Cheers

Am I the only one who see a contradiction here??

There is no contradiction. What can you expect from the development team if their game director never really guided nor managed them?

His sole job was to design the game, lead and guide the development team. Instead he was more busy with snobish parties and trying to get his ass into space.

Tabula Rasa had really good elements and the core of the game was pretty good. But all these elements didn't match eachother, severely lacking and not worked out too well.

Not to mention that the content and classes were just lacking and poorly worked out.

All signs of total lack of proper management and guidance.

Really a shame, as his team had some really good and talented artists and developers, wich clearly showed in the game.

So yes. Richard Garriott was responsible of the US division of NcSoft. His sole task was to deliver a next gen, state of the art Science Fiction MMO and he failed misserably!

He might have been physically there from time to time, but his mind was floating somewhere in Outer Space lol.

Cheers

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Cheers

Now tell us how you Really Feel.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    So yes. Richard Garriott was responsible of the US division of NcSoft. His sole task was to deliver a next gen, state of the art Science Fiction MMO and he failed misserably!
    He might have been physically there from time to time, but his mind was floating somewhere in Outer Space lol.
    Cheers

Can't argue with the truth.  

The blame is on the developer and they product they made.   NCSoft only did what any other business would do - cancel something that was losing money.

Both Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa had obvious problems from the start.  I tried them both and simply did not find them enjoyable in the least.   Clearly this opinion was shared by others.   NCSfoft is to blame for thinking there would actually be enough people willing to play those things to make a profit.

They never should have poured money into poorly made games or allowed them to get so far in the first place.  The only reason that disaster Tabula Rasa probably got so far was that they really seemed to believe Garriott's name would magically draw players into a lousy game. 

I suppose once they've spend so much they have no chance but to release the game, butI think the OP has a point. Allowing a flawed game to be released then pulling it only hurts the company reputation.

Still they continue to support better games like Guild Wars and CoH/V so I'm still going to look into Aion.  If it's a decent game NCSoft will support it.   If it stinks, it will get the axe.

• fortuentefortuente Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

The only reason that disaster Tabula Rasa probably got so far was that they really seemed to believe Garriott's name would magically draw players into a lousy game.

Garriott's name was enough to get me to try the game. That and having a sci-fi theme (unlike EVE with anthropomorphic avatars). But mainly it was his name - I remember telling my girlfriend when it came out - "this guy is a friggin gaming legend, this game is going to HUGE." In hindsight - yeah, not so much.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I will be playing AION from day 1. I played Tabula Rasa beta and it was crap so shutting it down is no suprise to me.  AION is already a success, just look up info on how its doing in Korea. They are still adding servers to meet the demand. I am a Lineage 2 player and the game is still going strong in both the east and west so I have no fear at all about AION.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by Nixish

I was going to write up the pros and cons of TR from an outsider's prospective, but its just a waste of time.
    I think it took balls for NCsoft to come out and announce the end of TR. Its more honest than leaving it to painfully die while continue to profit from box sales.
    And hey, its not like NCsoft is SoE =P
    /salt

actually your post goes to prove why you should buy a soe game over ncsoft even though it was another mindless soe bash

soe never closes a mmorpg even once they bought already on life support like matrix online.

sorry but listening to you shows how little you think about a situation.mmorpg takes a lot of time investment from players and its gratifying to know a few companies out there respect that and will hold on to their "mistakes" and make little profit to keep this few thousands happy .

Ncsoft behaviour with TR and AA has proven that the few thusands that kept faith in them mean nothing at all.

they could have kept this games in an all access bundle to try save them like soe did with matrix but its just oo much of a hassle

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

TR sucked horridly as a game, and Aion seems quite interesting, so yah I'd trust em.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

after experianceing lineage 2 i would trust ncsoft with my life.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

yes i trust ncsoft with my money people seem to forget that they own some of the most sucessful mmorpg in the world and decide to pick on two games wish they should have never published...one being a free to play.

and like other said the failure of TR was richard garriots not Ncsoft.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• blahblahblabblahblahblab Member Posts: 7

I never trust NCSOFT on anything. I am ANTI-NCSOFT 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000%

What ever they do. they messed it up for every one. I am so disgusted . They come to the USA and make like big hot shots thinking they know everything and play god. Never admit to mistakes. I am disgusted with NCSOFT.

I am so sorry to say that.  I am waiting for closing clearance. when all those I.P accounts gets liquidated.

I am waiting a very long time to fix City of Heroes. I am working hard to that next update of news from other news media

people tell me what to buy. I say NO SORRY DO NOT WANT IT. they  Then they push on it! What part of NO I AM NOT BUYING THAT DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND Well to who ever is demanding me to buy Guild Wars 2 or what ever

I stick to my guns. and read the B.S fly

This discussion has been closed.