Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new interview with creative director

shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199

not much of anything new to those who have been following mortal for a long time, but i figure a lot of the new people will find it interesting:

www.mmogamer.com/12/02/2008/interview-a-chat-with-mortal-onlines-creative-director

Comments

• yukumoyukumo Member Posts: 86

thanks for the thread. i would really like to see this game take off

• EupolemosEupolemos Member Posts: 9

Well, not much news there.

Guess this is the right place to ask "nub" questions without getting flamed  - what does it mean that a game is a sandbox game??

Eupolemos Agis
    Former damn-good-looking Armsman of the Custodes Fati, Guinevere.

• L1ghtsabeRL1ghtsabeR Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by Eupolemos

Guess this is the right place to ask "nub" questions without getting flamed  - what does it mean that a game is a sandbox game??

But Mats just answered that in the interview.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by L1ghtsabeR

But Mats just answered that in the interview.image

Are you trying to act surprised ?

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

Duh!, that's what happens when you skip the beginning to get to the interessting stuff .

Eupolemos Agis

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

its an ok interview but it didnt realy answer anything i wanted to know.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by achellis
    its an ok interview but it didnt realy answer anything i wanted to know.
    So what would you like to know ?

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Sandbox is very much overused and as such its meaning will mean different things depending on who you ask.

However its is used to describe a gameworld where there are no predifined modes of play, where there are no compulsory tasks for players to fulfil. Each char makes his own goals within the confines of the world supplied and the community (not necessarily as a whole) shape that world. Beyond the boundaries and rules required to enable the environment to exists there should be no other restrictions on gameplay.

As time goes on the lines become blurred but many see it as an ideal, as such when they find a game they enjoy they select aspects of that game to show it as a sandbox when much of the game is not.

So when it comes to a deffinition I think its better to see it as a sliding scale, tehre are no sandbox games but some are moreso than others.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by shrapnel20

not much of anything new to those who have been following mortal for a long time, but i figure a lot of the new people will find it interesting:
    www.mmogamer.com/12/02/2008/interview-a-chat-with-mortal-onlines-creative-director

Thanks for the heads up hopefully MO will be able to come out without alot of delays.

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Sandbox is very much overused and as such its meaning will mean different things depending on who you ask.

However its is used to describe a gameworld where there are no predifined modes of play, where there are no compulsory tasks for players to fulfil. Each char makes his own goals within the confines of the world supplied and the community (not necessarily as a whole) shape that world. Beyond the boundaries and rules required to enable the environment to exists there should be no other restrictions on gameplay.

As time goes on the lines become blurred but many see it as an ideal, as such when they find a game they enjoy they select aspects of that game to show it as a sandbox when much of the game is not.

So when it comes to a deffinition I think its better to see it as a sliding scale, tehre are no sandbox games but some are moreso than others.

Didn't I say this was the right place to ask .

- Thanks mate!

Eupolemos Agis

• SkogsbrandSkogsbrand Member Posts: 3

nice read there, thanks for posting it. seems like an mmo with some fresh ideas, going to read into it some more :]