Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: The Spiritual Successor to SWG?

I've been reading about this game, and to me it looks like a kind of 'spiritual successor' to SWG...

Has anyone heard anything about this? 

Comments

• andredocandredoc Member UncommonPosts: 119

Not only SWG but for all sci-fi MMO out there

• DeadDingoDeadDingo Member Posts: 193

Being PVP-centric, it will not be a 'massive' game nor a spiritual successor.  It will do okay I expect for a niche market, but I have zero interest in playing it due to PVP, although the theme and storyline are interesting.

I am much more looking forward to Fallen Earth... and while not really sci-fi, it is post-apocalyptic with sci-fi elements.  Because of the similar nature of the sandbox and open world environment, deep gameplay for both PVP and PVE, the crafting-centric items and the skill-based system, I feel this is the spiritual successor to SWG.   Of course, it will be a niche game with possible breakout potential as well, but many SWG refugees are keeping a close eye on it.

That being said, I suppose it's a 'you love it or you hate it' due to setting. 

PS:  and neither have fecking elves.

• raizzeenraizzeen Member Posts: 185

what i found fun about swg was that it was star wars and the fact you could make whatever builds you wanted while guilds had there guild city on the actual world i could care less about the pvp tbh

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664
    Originally posted by DeadDingo

Being PVP-centric, it will not be a 'massive' game nor a spiritual successor.  It will do okay I expect for a niche market, but I have zero interest in playing it due to PVP, although the theme and storyline are interesting.
    I am much more looking forward to Fallen Earth... and while not really sci-fi, it is post-apocalyptic with sci-fi elements.  Because of the similar nature of the sandbox and open world environment, deep gameplay for both PVP and PVE, the crafting-centric items and the skill-based system, I feel this is the spiritual successor to SWG.   Of course, it will be a niche game with possible breakout potential as well, but many SWG refugees are keeping a close eye on it.

You do know Fallen Earth and Earthrise are almost exactly a like. The only difference is that Earthrise has more PvP in it than Fallen Earth does. 

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Joker2240

You do know Fallen Earth and Earthrise are almost exactly a like. The only difference is that Earthrise has more PvP in it than Fallen Earth does. 

Did he not actually say that in his post or did I read things that arent wrote there.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

I am so tired of seeing eveyr SCFI game compared to SWG can we please give it a rest, not even close to SWG,  I was at launch of SWG and played it for over 4 years the game sucked the whole time but being a Str wars fan I held on..

Earthrise sounds cool and want to see what they do with it.. Crossing fingers for a good Scfi game I am really burnt out on sword and board fantasy games.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

No.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Mackerni

I've been reading about this game, and to me it looks like a kind of 'spiritual successor' to SWG...

LOL ..seriously do you think anyone will outdo SOE when comes to content and size of a game?.SWG had a lot of ideas in the game and a lot of good things happening.

This is not about SWG anyhow it is about Earthrise.I think the game looks great and has some potential,PVP looting is not one of there good ideas,actually it may be a killing point to the game.No matter how you look at it on paper,There will be more players on the losing end of looting than winning,so in the end more disgruntled players,that does not sell subs.Tha one early setup will have player A looting and rampaging player after player,then of course everyone will go back and re roll a new tune,it will be endless tune re rolling.

They want to keep the PVP serious and not a joke? then make it so you CANNOT re roll a tune.Your decision on the your player build is FINAL,otherwise what is the sense?you might as well just make every player 100/100 in every skill,because they will all end up with the same builds.

What i am expecting is a few good ideas in a game that looks good,this may be enough to get people to play it,i just hope some of there PVP mechanics don't lose them subs.The reason SKILL based systems are much worse in reality than they appear on paper is because they are un tested.They will basically design the game around the EXTREME build,meaning you cannot break the game by going all out offensive,otherwise players could go around one-hitting others,it will not happen.So although you think you are going to make some magical build,you will not be.

Players will very soon in the game find out what works and what does not,so you will have 99% of the players all clones of each other anyhow.IMO they make this type of system when the developer is too lazy to design a game around classes that have there OWN UNIQUE skill sets.It is MUCH easier to just open up all of them to everyone,but in the end it makes for bland game play.

There is a couple mis -leading things here as usual>>>Unique crafted items?IMPOSSIBLE,it has to already be in the database,so it will not be unique.

WORST idea the game has?? believe it or not it isn't the PVP looting nope....advancement offline? OMG HORRIBLE idea.Let's bring back RF online?EVE?,i surely hope players are not that lame ,that they actually think accomplishing something while NOT accomplishing something is fun?challenging?intuitive?..This needs changing PRONTO !

I think if this game will fai lanywhere it will be because of PVP.Think i am wrong? you do not think the forum will be raging with "That skill needs to be nerfed" "that skill is too weak it needs to be stronger to offset other said skill".It will be a forever changing game because they will see the flaws of  PVP.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by Mackerni

LOL ..seriously do you think anyone will outdo SOE when comes to content and size of a game?.SWG had a lot of ideas in the game and a lot of good things happening.

This is not about SWG anyhow it is about Earthrise.I think the game looks great and has some potential,PVP looting is not one of there good ideas,actually it may be a killing point to the game.No matter how you look at it on paper,There will be more players on the losing end of looting than winning,so in the end more disgruntled players,that does not sell subs.Tha one early setup will have player A looting and rampaging player after player,then of course everyone will go back and re roll a new tune,it will be endless tune re rolling.

They want to keep the PVP serious and not a joke? then make it so you CANNOT re roll a tune.Your decision on the your player build is FINAL,otherwise what is the sense?you might as well just make every player 100/100 in every skill,because they will all end up with the same builds.

What i am expecting is a few good ideas in a game that looks good,this may be enough to get people to play it,i just hope some of there PVP mechanics don't lose them subs.The reason SKILL based systems are much worse in reality than they appear on paper is because they are un tested.They will basically design the game around the EXTREME build,meaning you cannot break the game by going all out offensive,otherwise players could go around one-hitting others,it will not happen.So although you think you are going to make some magical build,you will not be.

Players will very soon in the game find out what works and what does not,so you will have 99% of the players all clones of each other anyhow.IMO they make this type of system when the developer is too lazy to design a game around classes that have there OWN UNIQUE skill sets.It is MUCH easier to just open up all of them to everyone,but in the end it makes for bland game play.

There is a couple mis -leading things here as usual>>>Unique crafted items?IMPOSSIBLE,it has to already be in the database,so it will not be unique.

WORST idea the game has?? believe it or not it isn't the PVP looting nope....advancement offline? OMG HORRIBLE idea.Let's bring back RF online?EVE?,i surely hope players are not that lame ,that they actually think accomplishing something while NOT accomplishing something is fun?challenging?intuitive?..This needs changing PRONTO !

I think if this game will fai lanywhere it will be because of PVP.Think i am wrong? you do not think the forum will be raging with "That skill needs to be nerfed" "that skill is too weak it needs to be stronger to offset other said skill".It will be a forever changing game because they will see the flaws of  PVP.

Just to be clear for everyone else please disregard the above post as the poster is pretty much wrong about every single point he brought up.

you mean you do not agree with my view/take on the game mechanics? because the ideas and mechanices of the game are posted by the developer not me and are 100% accurate,you sir are already mis leading people as what a sunk in fan boy?

how about give people facts then let them decide?Your simpleton approach ,he is wrong is a joke and probably the weakest form of debating an opinion.I merely posted the facts about the game as they are right now,and i agree with some but i do not agree with many,they are ideas that will fail the game ,that is my opinion.

What have you already formed a guild or something and are going in full steam no matter how the game turns out?lad wake up,the game may not be what you want,if you are already sold,then i am sure there is a lot of salesmen out there waiting to sell you a used car lol.BTW they want you to buy that used car without even looking at it,they know how easily sold you are and once you make up your mind there is no turning back,the car is yours forever lmao.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

See you tried a good effort to debate what i have said,unlike the wanna be from previous post.

I can tell you first of all you missed my points in almost every way,but no matter I'll explain my point again.Some areas i will agree but we will see here now.

Looting.I did not say they won't make mechanics to perhaps lesson it or get around it,but what is the sense then of having it at all?so you can loot a useless item?my point is that looting is a bad mechanic no matter what,even if they have ways to dumb it down.

You talk about "Cookie Cutter".See you missed the point totally but at the same time agreed lol.Most will play the exact same setup anyhow,hence WHY I SAID,you should NOT be allowed to re roll a tune,that would keep PVP at least on a respected level.Skill systems are NEVER any different than class systems,all they do is give you the FALSE impression you might be able to make some unique player that will own all..and you WON"T !.There will be a setup that works for a tank for a DD and a nuker,you will not be anything special in the game.

3rd point we already agreed on,players will still be playing the same type of setup weather it is pre defined or they get to actually pu tthe numbers themselves.Here is the shimmy,ever play FFXI?they use pre defined classes/levels and ALSO a skill system,AND a ELEMENTAL system these guys fall short.

I thought the crafting one was the easiest concept to grasp sorry.Here goes again,the system cannot craft ANYTHING unique that is NOT already em bedded in the system.How would the game know what to call it if it wasn't in the system? [wioshnfbjkhe"? is this the name it will spew out?How would the game call it from it's database?if it is not already there,is the game going to embed data ongoing into it's database?no way,that leads to problems down the road.Even if a developer was bold enough to have a system that embeds data into itself[won't happen]it would have to not only do it in one database but everywhere in the system,because it has to have qualities/effects/looks[textures]/stats/sounds/animations,imagine 1 million players putting that kind of data into the system ,then imagine it over several years  lmao ...impossible,will never happen.

Yes i know i read the articles it does not change my mind about OFFLINE advancement.You are looking at it from a selfish standpoint.Ya so the players who have no time deserve the same accomplishments as the players actually playing?yes i know it is not skills but stillgame cash is a large aspect of the game.they said something about you will need to setup properly to take advantage of this lame idea,matters?everyone on the net will soon know how to set it up in the first month.OFFLINE advancement is NEVER a good idea,why punish the players and benefit the non players?  dumb dumb.If you want offline advancement it should be in the form of NPC's building up there forces to keep up with the fight against the real players,that would be a lot more realistic and beter for the game.However they would have had to create some VERY good content utilizing NPC's to make that worthwhile.

Sorry Wizardry but I simply possess neither the time or desire to correct your posts.  I would argue that aside from the devs I am probably one of the most "in-the-know" followers of the game and there was just so much which was simply incorrect about your post.

My advice to you is don't make posts which contain copious amounts of erroneous content.  It's not hard.

Furthermore, if you're going to cry about evil open PvP and how it will spell ultimate doom for the game, despite the fact that EVE with it's open PvP system is the third largest MMO in the western world in terms of active subscribers and that its subscriber base has never seen a month of negative subscription growth, then go play in the SWTOR forum or something.

Nearly everything you stated in your OP was either wrong or terribly incomplete.  Sorry, man.  But that's the way it is.  It's not my responsibility to educate you about Earthrise; it's yours.

• zorkyzorky Member UncommonPosts: 74

I would say earthrise is the ass kicker of pvp mmo´s thus being The Spiritual Successor of anarcy online neocron planetside dark ages of camelot and the pve will beat swg and the rest thus earthrise is just plain The Spiritual Successor of all mmo´s out there

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

Nobody knows how its going to play out until they release the game, its all speculation until then.

• KazzerKazzer Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Joker2240

pvp is good, but i do hope the PVE will make a huge impact aswell, cous a game based on pvp is hard to keep alive..

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by lkavadas

Sorry Wizardry but I simply possess neither the time or desire to correct your posts. 

Indeed, I know little about Earthrise except that it sounds like it has great potential.  One things that I do know though is some people have such narrow intransient minds that they will never grasp certain concepts or get past thier own pre conceptions. SAd but true.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I've been keeping an eye on this one, and from what they have written on their site, i think this will be better than SWG... i especially like the idea of crafting your own Mech and customizing it... I wonder if it's a type of armor or an actual Robot you fight in,  can't wait to see how that works out in-game.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I've come th the point in my MMO playing that I am just so sick and tired of hearing about SWG.

I don't even bring up the game anymore I just totally pass it by like it never existed Ill bring up UO then Eve no other sandbox existed as far as im concerned.

Earthrise seems like an interesting Game and it shares some similarities with eve so im happy.

ill be keeping an eye out for this along with Mortal online and Crusades.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file