Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The truth about Guild wars and its current Guild vs. Guild state.

HolyLightHHolyLightH Member Posts: 9

note: GvG = Guild vs. Guild)

We all heard about Guild Wars being one of the most balanced Guild vs. Guild but is that really true? Barely.

Most of you who played this game know who does the skill balance of the game, who is known as Izzy. They left only one person in charge to balance the skill which is not a good idea. On top of that, here's a direct quote from his wiki page:

"I'm currently mainly working on Guild Wars 2, and putting every second of spare time I have into Guild Wars 1." - Izzy.

Link of the quote from his wiki page http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Isaiah_Cartwright

Like he said, he only looks at this in his spare time and it seems like Guild war's GvG has been abandoned because it's obvious he spends 99% of the time in Guild wars 2. Current Guild vs Guild is severely imbalanced. Let's look at some professions that makes this game imbalanced.

Out of the 12 profession in the game, only 4 are used. This is if you want to actually compete in the game. Those 4 professions, which are the warriors (axe + shield, huge spike), monks (keeping party alive), mesmers (interrupting, shutdowns), and rangers (interrup, crippling). Luckily, I play a warrior so that's no problem, however other people who wants to compete using other profession is told that they need to create the 4 professions, or they will not be considered in the guild. Sure you can play the other professions, but you will get dominated by those 4 professions because of the overpowered skills they have. Just take a look at the guild wars forum here about this issue here > http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10338668

This game is called Guild wars, but it's actually a Stale war, where all the top guilds only uses those 4 profession and doesn't consider the other profession.

Warrior using a Elite skill called Warrior's endurance, which gives them infinite supply of energy to spam skills is currently the most overpowered skill at the moment. Nothing can match the dps of warrior. On top of that, they have knockdowns, and high defence. They put other melees such as assassin and dervishes into shame by leaps and bound. Dervish, who is supposed to have lower defense and should do the high dps is currently out-dps'd by warriors. Only two warriors are needed for damage, they just destroy everything so fast with their Elite skill. Dervish has a nice Elite form but they can only keep it up half the time in GvG and it can be easily interrupted (you'll need to wait another 120 seconds to cast it if you get interrupted). On the other hand, warrior's endurance is fast casting and they can keep it up 100% of the time. They have infinite supply of energy 100% of the time. Warriors are also durable, having the highest defence in the game.

Moral of the paragraph above: Warriors replaced melee dps'er like dervishs, which the dervish has less damage, less defence, and less utility. Warriors are getting constant supplies of energy, which is why warrior's only have ONE adrenaline skill that the meta use now.

Also, mesmers completely took over the main profession of a elementalist. It's funny how a mesmers can do a better job at elementalist's main job and also have the benefits from their own class.

Moral of the paragraph above: Mesmers replaced elementalist's role.

Necromancer's skill called Rend Enchantment makes enchantments useless in this game. Other classes who depends on them, like dervishes for example (there damage and surviability is based on how many enchants they have on them) makes them useless yet again. Rend enchament strips off all enchantments for a small cost is not balanced. Take a look here for more information on this > http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10340214

Moral of the paragraph above: Necro able to strip enchantments for a small cost. I don't even consider that as a cost, too small.

This is what Guild wars is right now. Seeing as how Guild wars left such a bad impression on us, how could we expect anything good about Guild wars 2? Unless they change the way they function, such as balancing the skills and what not, it's pretty hopeless. You can argue all you want, but this is the truth. Go ahead and browse the Guild War's main forum if you don't believe me, you'll find out about this truth whether you like it or not.

If you plan on buying this game, I advise you to buy the prophecies. If you buy nightfall, you'll be able to create a paragon and dervish but these two classes are useless in Guild Wars. Don't expect to be able to apply into a competitive Guild vs. Guild with those class. With Victory or death! (VoD) gone from GvG, classes like dervish, paragon, and assassin has become waste of space. Prior to the removal of Victory or death!, these classes were used often and they had a role. Now, warriors just took over the whole role with their ridiculous Elite skill called warrior's endurance. If you don't like playing the axe-wielding/hammer warriors, keeping the party alive with monks, or using mesmers/rangers for utilities, then don't even bother with Guild vs. Guild. It's not a choice you can make, either you use them or you will get dominated and you'll find very often that guild leaders only wants those 4 classes.

Don't bother buying Eye of the north unless you have one of the main campaign and able to finish the game with it. Most people who already gave up on the Guild vs. Guild often quit because they didn't have a future. People who made the non 4 characters will not like Guild vs. Guild as they will be completely annihilated.

Don't get me wrong, the game itself is excellent if you don't look at the Guild vs. Guild (which is the main point of this game by the way, hence the game title being called "Guild Wars"), the PvE contents are very fun and well made. This game has great PvE, which is the only reason why the majority of the community stays. If you browse through the guild wars forum (guru), you'll see many posts who says "I only do PvE now" or something similar. But they always know they can't use their characters in the end anyway (no GvG, besides the 4 classes, others aren't wanted), that's why so many are saying this is a dying game, unless skills are balanced.

Comments

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

can i have your stuff?

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Thank you for stating the obvious. The GW dev team warned that they would be hard at work on the sequel. It's logical that they won't be releasing updates, fixes and balances as often as they did when they were only working on the original.

• HolyLightHHolyLightH Member Posts: 9

Although this may be obvious to you and the rest of the people who already plays Guild Wars, there's many people asking whether this game is dead, fun, and what not. This is what they'll need to expect when playing this game. Izzy doesn't spend time balancing the game anymore and GvG is completely messed up. It's not wise to just abandoned this game while the one and only person who works on the skill balance is off working on another game.

I don't realise how Izzy thought of being "balanced" when they gave warrior's infinite energy and etc. It's obvious what needs to be fixed. Yes it's logical they won't release updates, fixes, and balances as often but try take a look at the things they updated recently. You can tell they aren't trying anymore.

Things like this is leaving a bad impression on the whole Guild Wars series. If they simply just abandon a game like how they did in Guild Wars 1, why should Guild Wars 2 be any good? I think it'll get abandoned again in the end just like the original.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by HolyLightH

Although this may be obvious to you and the rest of the people who already plays Guild Wars, there's many people asking whether this game is dead, fun, and what not. This is what they'll need to expect when playing this game. Izzy doesn't spend time balancing the game anymore and GvG is completely messed up. It's not wise to just abandoned this game while the one and only person who works on the skill balance is off working on another game.
    I don't realise how Izzy thought of being "balanced" when they gave warrior's infinite energy and etc. It's obvious what needs to be fixed. Yes it's logical they won't release updates, fixes, and balances as often but try take a look at the things they updated recently. You can tell they aren't trying anymore.
    Things like this is leaving a bad impression on the whole Guild Wars series. If they simply just abandon a game like how they did in Guild Wars 1, why should Guild Wars 2 be any good? I think it'll get abandoned again in the end just like the original.

You've clearly got something against ANet because they've far from abandoned the game. Have you read recent update notes, such as those from the November 16th update? Despite what the name may lead you to believe...the vast majority of people don't take part in GvG or give it a second thought. Though the game may revolve around GvG for you, that's not the case for most.

Yes that was a nice update for the PvE'er, which I'm clearly not a PvE type of person. Changing PvE isn't doing anything to balance the skills. I bought this game to do "Guild wars." I have nothing against Anet, I'm just stating what the majority of the PvP'er is stating. And if you took the time to read the links I put in my first post, you can tell I'm not the only one who feels this way. In PvP, nearly 100% of the PvP-community agrees with me that Anet abandoned the PvP side.

I clearly stated in the title of this thread that this was an issue concerning Guild vs. Guild. And GvG has been clearly abandoned. I also already stated that PvE was excellent in my first post so I don't know why your bringing up the PvE side.

• redOrcredOrc Member Posts: 100

Nice Summary from someone who spent 2 weeks playing the game.

I've played GW for over 3 years now. More than 2 years of GVG.

I will list some of the characters I've played:

Warrior: axe, hammer, sword. Several builds of each

Elementalist: Fire, Water, Air, Earth and any combinations of them including mes/e which utilize the fast cast of the mesmer for ele spells.

Paragon: Many builds

Ranger: Many builds

RT: Healer, runner, spirit spammer and many other.

Dervish: several builds

Assasin: Mainly guankers

Monk: (I dont play healer), but runner and smither

Mesmer: Anti melle, anti caster, basicly many build anti anythink you can think about and heavy hex builds.

Necro: Anti melle hexer, Spirit spammer.

All characters are viable for GVG. The only one that is restricted somehwat is the sin. He's kind of one trick character.

Next time, please spend some time in the game before informing us with your deep insight

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

it seems like Guild wars 1 has been abandoned because it's obvious he spends 99% of the time in Guild wars 2.

take a look at the patch page -  updates are still happening

www.guildwars.com/support/gameupdates/

doesnt look like an abandoned game to me

Originally posted by redOrc

Elementalist: Fire, Water, Air, Earth and any combinations of them including mes/e which utilize the fast cast of the mesmer for ele spells.
    Mesmer: Anti melle, anti caster, basicly many build anti anythink you can think about and heavy hex builds.
    All characters are viable for GVG. The only one that is restricted somehwat is the sin. He's kind of one trick character.
    Next time, please spend some time in the game before informing us with your deep insight

Please don't tell me this is your "knowledge" in your 3 years of playing or I'll assume you're trolling. Before, I used to think the same way as you. I thought any class was viable in GvG. However, it was the Guild wars community who finally convinced me about this fact. When was the last time you seen the top guild's GvG? When was the last time you checked the pvp section for GvG?  I'm not the only one who says this game is a stale war. Please try again after you finish doing a little more search. Shall I provide you with several hundred threads regarding this issue? If so, please feel free to ask and I will provide them.

Here's a couple of threads to get you started, Mr. "3 years player," who apprantly knows nothing. People who agrees with me actually played ever since Guild Wars was released to the public. There is A LOT more threads like this, feel free to ask if you want more.

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10207696

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10324396

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10260280

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10315064

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10200947

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10198327

It doesn't matter if you been playing 3 years or 2 years of GvG. You don't even know what the current meta is do you? Or else you would never say "all classes are viable." I somehow doubt you even played recently. Skill balance was nerfed/buff and classes that was used before isn't used now and vice versa. Do you understand?

And to Nadia:

Those are updates for PvE contents, which has nothing to do with Guild vs. Guild. Look at this thread about the recent updates. PvPer are still mad about Izzy not balancing the skills. I don't know how many more times I need to repeat this but I'll say this again: this thread is concerning GvG. Please tell me what PvE update has to do with  GvG?

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10337223

(post #13 and so on)

I'm just QQ'ing on how ANet made such a amazing game (For the PvE, I can say without a doubt that it beats any other game I played in the past), but because of how the skill balance is right now, some classes are unwanted in both GvG and PvE party.

Please don't tell me this is your "knowledge" in your 3 years of playing or I'll assume you're trolling. Before, I used to think the same way as you. I thought any class was viable in GvG. However, it was the Guild wars community who finally convinced me about this fact. When was the last time you seen the top guild's GvG? When was the last time you checked the pvp section for GvG?  I'm not the only one who says this game is a stale war. Please try again after you finish doing a little more search. Shall I provide you with several hundred threads regarding this issue? If so, please feel free to ask and I will provide them.

Here's a couple of threads to get you started, Mr. "3 years player," who apprantly knows nothing. People who agrees with me actually played ever since Guild Wars was released to the public. There is A LOT more threads like this, feel free to ask if you want more.

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10200947

It doesn't matter if you been playing 3 years or 2 years of GvG. You don't even know what the current meta is do you? Or else you would never say "all classes are viable." I somehow doubt you even played recently. Skill balance was nerfed/buff and classes that was used before isn't used now and vice versa. Do you understand?

And to Nadia:

Those are updates for PvE contents, which has nothing to do with Guild vs. Guild. Look at this thread about the recent updates. PvPer are still mad about Izzy not balancing the skills. I don't know how many more times I need to repeat this but I'll say this again: this thread is concerning GvG. Please tell me what PvE update has to do with  GvG?

(post #13 and so on)

I'm just QQ'ing on how ANet made such a amazing game (For the PvE, I can say without a doubt that it beats any other game I played in the past), but because of how the skill balance is right now, some classes are unwanted in both GvG and PvE party.

I didnt go through all the threads you wrote, the first was enough.

You quoted a thread that is more than a year old. Had you played the game in the last year (realy played it' not just come here and bich about it), you'd know that the "meta" had changed many times during that period.

Lets look at defense for that period of time: starting from blind-bot+aegis chain, to several aoe paragon defense skills, to sinptitude (several waves), 4 healers-wait till VOD comes,and again several rt spirit+paragon -wait till VOD comes, to heavy defense and damage  the lord, to whathaveyou now.

Your statements are  not even close to being relevant. The fact that high end players wanted to make the game even better does not make it bad. There had been requests for balance change and other GVG changes startnig from the first day of beta till this day, coming from high and low, but this has been and still is the best game in town.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

That's how the current GvG meta looks, yes. How does the current HA meta look? How did the meta look a month, two months or more ago? Well I can tell you one thing - not the same. Sure the game got a moderately lacking balaance, but at least it got balance unlike the most other PvP MMOs at the moment. Balancing such a game as Guild Wars is close to impossible due to the massive amounts of skills available in the game and the fact that they can be combined in teams or just across two professions. I'm not saying Izzy is a very good balancer - he could at least play the game he's trying to balance - but rather that his job is an impossibility.

Apart from that you're just completely wrong about Dervishes and Paragons. Dervishes ability to dish out deep wound covered by bleeding every third second and Paragons overall good support makes them both very much viable professions to take.

The meta changes depending on skill "balances". That's just the way it is. Tomorrow's meta may very well be Elementalists and Paragon frontliners. That's why Guild Wars never truly grows stale, the meta is pretty much constantly changing.

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505

Http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10200947

And to Nadia:

(post #13 and so on)

Did you read the posts you linked us to or did you just read the title?

1st post is from  a year ago

2nd post is irrelavant since it talks about an update to HB

3rd post talks about no matter how many times AN updates guild wars it'll never be perect since it tries to do too many things (IE: PvE update will break PvP) and hopes Guild Wars 2 focuses more on perfecting one thing

4th post is started by a guy who hates the update but the rest of the thread is full of posts from people who love it and says it opens up GvG to new players and original builds

5th post is from over a year ago

6th post is from over a year ago

The only post talking about GvG made within the last year praised it (post 4)

Maybe you should come up with a better arguement.

Your "1 year ago thread" makes no point because even after  1 year, these facts still remains. Nothing changed. You obviously don't know what you're talking about if you still think all classes are viable. Yes meta keeps changing, every few months and it's just a stale war for that few months. Izzy just either overpowers a skill and underpowers another skill which causes these endless meta. Just ONE person can't cover every single profession, no matter how professional he is. And that ONE person has been working on another game as priority.

Here's a recent thread (a week ago) which summarizes this whole thread, because obviously, you are ignorant for not looking at a "1 year thread" which still remains the same today.

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10338668

Now, I can say without a doubt that you haven't been GvGing for 2 years. Please do not lie and be honest. If you want to continue debating, please send a reply to that thread and tell them how "balanced" this game is and how you can join any top competitive GvG guild with any class of your choice. I won't have to bother replying to you because you will be called "troll" and flamed for being ignorant by the whole community.

@ redtroll (or redorc? forgot, same thing) It's funny how you mentioned about all classes being viable in todays GvG but now, you mentioned about metas. You should've done the search prior to your first post in this thread. Now that you already messed up, your arguments has no value.

@ Godliest, you are the only person who knows what you're talking about and also replied maturely. The only thing I disagree is about the nightfall profession. In todays top GvG meta, they have no place for them. Ignore the above paragraph because I might've been rude to a troll and it isn't intended towards you. Just look at the link above since it basically explains everything there.

Your "1 year ago thread" makes no point because even after  1 year, these facts still remains. Nothing changed. You obviously don't know what you're talking about if you still think all classes are viable. Yes meta keeps changing, every few months and it's just a stale war for that few months. Izzy just either overpowers a skill and underpowers another skill which causes these endless meta. Just ONE person can't cover every single profession, no matter how professional he is. And that ONE person has been working on another game as priority.
    Here's a recent thread (a week ago) which summarizes this whole thread, because obviously, you are ignorant for not looking at a "1 year thread" which still remains the same today.
    Now, I can say without a doubt that you haven't been GvGing for 2 years. Please do not lie and be honest. If you want to continue debating, please send a reply to that thread and tell them how "balanced" this game is and how you can join any top competitive GvG guild with any class of your choice. I won't have to bother replying to you because you will be called "troll" and flamed for being ignorant by the whole community.
    @ redtroll (or redorc? forgot, same thing) It's funny how you mentioned about all classes being viable in todays GvG but now, you mentioned about metas. You should've done the search prior to your first post in this thread. Now that you already messed up, your arguments has no value.
    @ Godliest, you are the only person who knows what you're talking about and also replied maturely. The only thing I disagree is about the nightfall profession. In todays top GvG meta, they have no place for them. Ignore the above paragraph because I might've been rude to a troll and it isn't intended towards you. Just look at the link above since it basically explains everything there.

You dont deserve an answer. Go troll someplace else where people dont konw you.

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505

Do you read the entire thread or do you just read the first post?

The first poster made an observation and the rest of the thread contains the arguement. Yes some people believe only 4 classes are useful but most people can agree that the only class that isn't useful anymore is dervish.

Quotes from the thread you posted:

"Monk

Ritualist (runner)

Warrior

Ranger

Mesmer

Elementalist

Those professions ARE used you know? Also, if I remember correctly, last monthly was won by a spear-wielding sin? (sorry, didn't bother to watch that much of the game)."

"What are you on about? You can guarante you will see eles on any split map in an AT and mo/w runners are not taking over from rits except on maps where monk runners have always been better than rits. Also Necros are seeing plenty of play atm because of Pain of Disenchantment. "

"i think most guilds use sort of the same stradegy, but i do see mesmers paras, and others, not just monks and rangers and warriors.

imo, dervs are never gonna be as good as warriors. "

"Each of the classes still has a place in GvG, and can still be used to some extent, "

The game will never be completely balanced and their will always be one build that is used more then others but that doesn't mean other builds aren't viable.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

You, and some of the persons in the thread, show a their narrow mindedness by ignoring the fact that different professions are good for different areas and different playstyles. The removal of VoD may've hurt Assassins for their ganking ability and Dervishes for their AoE but that didn't make Dervishes less worth taking in HA thanks to their AoE, or Assassins in RA for their gankability. GvG may be the highest form of PvP, but it's not the only one. You may be able to make a split between PvE and PvP to prevent PvP changes from affecting PvE too much, but making a split between all different PvP arenas and reworking some classes work for them... unnecessary to say it would be an overwhelming work even for four to five people working with that alone.

GvG is not the only PvP arena in the game, and every profession can't be viable for every arena when the professions are all so different and work differently. With 2000 skills and 10 different professions, having every skill and every profession perfectly balanced and viable for GvG is an impossibility. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to prove, or what you're point is, but all professions being viable for GvG is just extremely unlogical.

@redorc: If you don't have anything to contribute, please troll somewhere else. You ran out of answer and you should've end it there. I want to debate with the people who actually played this game, not some random people claiming false information. People like you are the reason why there's hundreds of threads complaining about this game AFTER they buy it and find out what Guild Wars has truly become.

@ pb1285: I forgot about ritulist, but yes they are used as runner, but please don't even mention about Elementalist. A Mesmer using elementalist as secondary profession does a better job than what a elementalist can do in GvG. It's already proven. And that is still only five professions (one more than I previously mentioned). There are 10 professions in this game which, the other five has no role in GvG.

@ Godliest: I am not talking about HA or RA. If I chose to play the non-core professions, I can't even give a go at competing in a GvG anymore. The main reason why I am so angry about GvG is because they basically gave up on balancing the skills. Remember two years ago, where MANY skills where balanced? At least they were trying very hard.

Look at our recent skill balance: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10335776

The quote is so true, "lmao they basically gave up."

Here are recent quotes from the community.

source: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10335776

"Who are you asking? Izzy? The guy who buffed it in the first place? Last I checked, a) he doesn't mind that there are a billion good enchant removals and almost no good hex removals (compared to the number of stackable hexes anyway), and b) he doesn't give a rat's ass about this game anyway. People who say he does care, or "he's too busy on GW2" are lying to themselves. His wiki page is a joke. Any post not giving his ego a virtual blowjob is just moved or deleted. He broke this game and then abandoned it. Don't hold your breath. "

"The sooner you realise that ANet doesn't give a shit about supporting competitive PVP in GW and that Izzy has no serious oversight of what he's doing and has a completely different view of what balance should look like to the majority of the PVP community (ie. he views degenerate but 'interesting' builds as good), the happier you will be.

Nothing significant will change in how PVP is handled without major changes within the management hierarchy of ANet and Izzy being sacked. The chances of either of those happening are low.

There is no point fixing rend enchantments, as when it is fixed, something else equally retarded will be buffed and replace it. Abuse what you can and if you don't enjoy it, do something else other than GW is my suggestion."

Source on the above quote: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4379227

I was one of the idiots who always defended Izzy before, but after these updates, I can clearly see he doesn't care anymore.

@redorc: If you don't have anything to contribute, please troll somewhere else. You ran out of answer and you should've end it there. I want to debate with the people who actually played this game, not some random people claiming false information. People like you are the reason why there's hundreds of threads complaining about this game AFTER they buy it and find out what Guild Wars has truly become.

You realy dont know what youre talking about. Look at the september monthly finals:

1. w/e (shock axe), w/rt (magehunte smash hammer), r/rt , mes/e, rt/n, mo/e, mo/rt, rt/a

2. w/rt (magehunter hammer), w/e (crip slash sword), r/mo (burning arrow), mes/e, e/mo, mo/w, mo/w, rt/a

The profession you talked about run completly different skills than those you described.

There are also mes, ele, rt that you described as unplayable. Also people take skills from second profession such as assasine and necro.

Also you can see even in this single match the diversity in the most staple characters such as healers, warriors and rangers. But I guess you will not let reality confuse you....

http://www.guildwars.com/competitive/tournament2008/september/skillusage/su-gvg-finals.php?lang=en

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

@HolyLightH

You sir are a moron. GW is one of the most balanced GVGs out there. You dont like is because you dont know how to use the skills right. You have to get good took me about a year and yes i got my ass handed to me at first but now i can hold my own as an assassin. If you dont like it then go play WoW seems like more your style..or maybe WAR (no offence to the ppl who play the games)

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

Honestly I love seeing that GW still gets attention from people :) It's one of the older high quality games out there.

I perfer to AB when I'm in the mood for pvp so I don't know if it compares much to GvG (nvr was in a gvg based guild).  Not sure if it applies but my derv holds it's own against just about everything. GW is not only a skill based game but a player skills with those skills is more important. That's why I enjoy the AB.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Funny enough with the balancing issue and so on, it is still the only well balanced MMO I ever played and I played a lot of 'em.

Please mention a game with better balanced classes... one.

Don't say wow, then we all will be rolling on the floor. WAR? Don't think so. EQ2 or Vanguard? No way...

GW have it's issues, it is getting old, over 4 years but it is still the only hame I played were a good player beat a bad whatever gear and class they both had. Give the bad player best green weapon in the game and best armour with most expensive runes and the best class. Give the good player the lvl 20 gear you start with as a PvP character and he still wins.

There is no game that can compete in arenastyle PvP with Guildwars. Not in good programming either.I played most classes, true my main is a Ranger but my first alt is a elementarist and a damn dangerous one too.

And yes, the party leaders might favor one class but how many times have you heard "LF healer, pst" in a chat in any game? Or LF tank?

Sure, GW don't fit all players but it is a good game, the only MMO beating it on X-fire is Wow, number 3 (WAR) is just having a little more than halfs GWs players and GW is 4 years old while WAR is 3 months. And while it might be unfair to compare the statistic between a game mainly on PvP against a mainly PvE game GW and WAR should have about the same % players using X-fire.

And you can't really blame Arenanet to focus on the upcoming GW2 anyways, they just bought some nice software to make the GFX even better (2 months ago or so), so they are probably working around the clock right now. And GW is doing fine still, better put the work on the upcoming game, I can't wait for it.

You realy dont know what youre talking about. Look at the september monthly finals:

1. w/e (shock axe), w/rt (magehunte smash hammer), r/rt , mes/e, rt/n, mo/e, mo/rt, rt/a

2. w/rt (magehunter hammer), w/e (crip slash sword), r/mo (burning arrow), mes/e, e/mo, mo/w, mo/w, rt/a

The profession you talked about run completly different skills than those you described.

There are also mes, ele, rt that you described as unplayable. Also people take skills from second profession such as assasine and necro.

Also you can see even in this single match the diversity in the most staple characters such as healers, warriors and rangers. But I guess you will not let reality confuse you....

http://www.guildwars.com/competitive/tournament2008/september/skillusage/su-gvg-finals.php?lang=en

Epic failure. The link you gave me is what I mentioned in my first post. Notice the meta? I also listed the most OVERUSED skill template. I'm not going to list all the template from each meta professions, go use PvX for that.

Oh and you mentioned about [sup] guild, they are in the top #5 guild ranks (they are now  #2 ranked)  and look at how they get dominated by a #800+ ranked guild (link below) thanks to overpowered builds that Izzy needs to start addressing.

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4363399&postcount=69

Also, have you noticed in your first post, you said all professions were viable? Now, you talk about the same professions I listed in my first post in this thread. However, you're saying w/rt, w/e, w/(insert secondary profession here), but it doesn't make any point because a warrior is a WARRIOR. It is still the meta that I listed in my first post. Same with r/rt, r/monk, r/(insert 2ndary profession here), it's still the same meta. Very funny how you keep changing things every time you post. I guess you learned a lot from this thread and next time, do a proper search.

Current meta: warriors, rangers/mesmers, monks, rit as runner. End of story. All the other classes can go cry and do PvE because you're unwanted in GvG.

@ jircris, you sir are a moron. This thread is not about recommending other games to play. And you say skill? Skill doesn't matter when you start attending to top guild fights and you play the non-meta professions. Whoever is equally skilled, a person using the cookie-cutter meta professions will easily beat a non-meta cookie-cutter professions. Once you play a certain profession, you already have the advantage.

Take a look at the link above. Obviously, [sup] guild has more skill, because they worked up to the top #2 ranked guild. Let's get some random player who is in the #800+ guild with one of the most overpowererd builds and look what happens. Are you still going to tell me that any professions are viable and skill can beat anything? No, some builds are just too overpowered.

@ Loke666: The point of this thread is to stop all the new player coming into our other guild wars forum and complaining about how meta is ruining the game AFTER they purchased this game. They need to learn what to expect if they decide to play this game, because whoever argues that this game is still "all professions are welcomed," is just being ignorant. There will be professions that will be in style, then goes out of style.

I honestly don't have any expectation for Guild Wars 2 PvP already.