Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Interview with Tasos Flambouras

Comments

• feyrbandfeyrband Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by ronan32

That darkfall guy sounds like an arrogant jerk, i wont play his game. roll on mortal online.

so is most of forumfall and as i see it, Tasos approves of vaportroll and WoW clone bashing.  i also like how mmorpg.com managed to ask a bunch of questions that don't really matter or that we already knew. fact still remains is that we will be waiting (im)patiently for 12/31/08. (few =! few with Aventurine.)

• EloDEloD Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by streea

This has been a time for development. We're not going to sink development resources into traditional marketing before Darkfall is out. We need to be able to support this game and the response is overwhelming as it is.

Translation:

We have no money to properly market a game like EA, Turbine etc does so we rely on our blind faith fanboys to spam the word all over the place and rig hype rating polls on places like mmorpg.com.

But don't worry. Darkfall is A+ amazing. It'll just sell itself.

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164
    Originally posted by LukePlumber

Originally posted by IdesofMarch

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

He sounds anything but professional. I can’t wait for something to go wrong, and watch what comes out of his mouth.

Tasos was completely right. Why do you people WANT a game to fail? Why don't you want to increase the bar for MMORPGs and hope for the standart to get better? We can probably all agree the last years haven't been exactly the best MMORPGs in general have seen so don't you think it's time for a succesful release now?

It's not that people want the game to fail.

sorry, but  "I can’t wait for something to go wrong" really doesn't sound all that friendly and hoping to me

The comment wasn't aimed directly at him, otherwise I would have said he and not people. I certainly don't know Mrbloodworth's history so I can't speak for him in the least.

• dwhaphamdwhapham Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by singsofdeath

I live in Europe, and have done so for the most part of my life. And no, his attitude is not something that you would expect from someone in his position. But maybe he's convinced that DF can survive on the current community alone. At the rate he and his "followers" are shooing others away, that'll be the way things turn out anyway.

The Darkfall communitee has well over 200,000 members so if they even if his intention was to cater only to that communitee, the game will still thrive...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well first of all i ppreciate the QA done here,it was direct and asked the questions WE the players WANTED to know...good job.

First point

Mr.flam said it is easy to be skeptic.Well that is for sure a fact,but i think even he himself can recognize why there is so many skeptics surrounding this game,i mean even the largest optimist would be a little skeptical here.

Second point

I really liked hisa answer,it was almost too good [lol] i hope he was sincere here.He mentions that they are more worried about the good of the game for the long haul and not just selling boxes then watch the game evapourate.This is truly IMO what MMORPG's should be about ,building a game for the long haul.

Finally a few points.There marketing stratedgy.I don't think i have EVER seen a game succeed without some decent marketing,albeit this game has kind of recieved it's own free marketing through there fanbois crowd and just enough tidbits floating around to remind people the game is out there somwhere.I do not belive him when he says they have had testing for over a year now,and that they now have hundreds of testers that quit other games to test theirs.I think he is maybe talking about internal staff that perhaps play WOW in there offtime,not a realistic view.

I have to admit i am still up i nthe airas to Mr.Flam's talk about rewriting code and re working the game.Does this mean the original game was too flawed to use?perhaps it took them a couple years to realize this and totally scrathed the original and basically re hashed the whole engine?This part was a little sketchy to me,so i couldn't gather much from it,wish they divulged more information here.

A real big part of the interview was the closing statement ! WORD in a few days?I am really surprised,however i knew all along that they MUST meet the CHRISTMAS deadline,the sales potential is just too large to mis out here.

Here is my NEW opinion...i think they have been working frantically to get this at least ready for Christmas launch.I do not believe the latter part of the game is ready,however i do believe they have a working game that can be released for now.I hope they are playing there cards right because we have all seen how fast and how much time some players spend in games.We wil lsee Power levelers[no care for content]just fly through levels fast and will test the latter parts of the game VERY quickly.This is when we will see just how ready this game is.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812
    Originally posted by EloD

This has been a time for development. We're not going to sink development resources into traditional marketing before Darkfall is out. We need to be able to support this game and the response is overwhelming as it is.

Translation:

We have no money to properly market a game like EA, Turbine etc does so we rely on our blind faith fanboys to spam the word all over the place and rig hype rating polls on places like mmorpg.com.

I have no problem with DF not spending bajillions of bucks in marketing campaigns as other companies who have that kind of cash do. That in itself is not a problem and it is good that they would use their ressources solely to sink into their game.

BUT!

That does not answer why they won't take -free- advertising. Mainstream media coming to their offices or getting a copy of the game to test it. Magazines, websites and so on would -love- to test the game and "promote" it by writing articles, giving insights etc etc.

And yet, Aventurine refuses to do even that. Why? It wouldn't cost them anything, so the argument that they want to use their ressources for the development alone does not cut it.

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164
    Originally posted by xbellx777

everyone run away the trolls have taken over if you like the game dont even post in here, you'll get shot down for following something that interests you and not what the trolls like

Oh no, people are sharing their opinions and partaking in back-and-forth discussion on a forum. Close the boards before somebody gets hurt.

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Originally posted by downtoearth
    that isnt what tasos meant by a i helping them it really hard ot explain. let me put this in a way youll understand
    bots/ai/npc cause same stress as real players. (server cant tell the diffrence from players or npcs) ai skilsl up jsut like a rela player it roams it does stuff  jsu tliek a real player would it builds yada yada yada. to what extent do they help who knows but the main one i bet is stress granted theys till need to let alto of people in to double check everything. but i have seen a fake npc logged into (cough swg pre cu emulator that was causign the same stress as a real person)

Since the stuff others have said hasn't sunk in, I doubt this will, but here goes anyways.

Imagine a field with a bunch of bulls in it. That field is the server, the grass the "stuff" you do in the server, and the bulls are the "characters."

If bots/ai are "testing" the server, it's the same as a bunch of bulls standing around chewing grass.

If players are testing the server, it's the same as a massive herd of bulls come charging across the grass, trample nearly all of it to death, and then the bulls all fight over what little grass is left.

AI/bots will never be able to stress test a server because the game already has thousands upon thousands of bots/ai... they're called NPCs. They follow scripts. They do what they're told, and they're INTERNAL. Players are EXTERNAL. A server needs external testing to make sure it can handle a stampeed.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

How would you like to get Tasos's attitude and non committal responses if you had a billing or technical problem  with Darkfall ? I'm not going to try to ascribe motives to his attitude.Just say it was not welcoming.... at all.Rather, he acted like he was being forcibly interrogated and  he was unwilling to give nothing more than "name,rank ,and  serial number". My response.....so be it.I have the money he wants to make his investment pay off and I'm not handing it over.There are far more company's .....small companys...that welcome potential subscriber inquiry's. NEXT.

• carrioncaincarrioncain Member Posts: 5

Maybe this question has already been answered on MMORPG but I haven't seen it.

Does this game have an american publisher?  Otherwise what are we call talking about the game is coming out for EU and UK...  If that is still up in the air how come it didn't get addressed in your questions?

Arctodus Family
    Orpesia

• noobliconnooblicon Member UncommonPosts: 15

If more developers spent their time actually making their game better and delivering on promises rather than hyping up their own game, we'd have fewer Vanguard, AOC, WAR, Tabula Rasa games and more good ones.

Hopefully DF will deliver, but I don't see how people can question the decision of Aventurine to wisely spend their money on development rather than advertising.

You have $200,000USD. Do you:

A. spend it to hire 4 more skilled people to add to the development team

B. spend it on advertising in the many countries in which this game will release

Which option will actually make the game better?

• Mazer14Mazer14 Member UncommonPosts: 129

Translation:

200,000+ members, doesn't seem to be too bad of a game plan. Have fun with LoTR and WAR, those are alright games but just don't appeal to all of us. No need to hate on DF because it isn't a WoW clone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Self-confessed DF fanboy. Finally a real ****ing MMO.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Wow this thread has become meaningless just like every thread on this forum..

anyway thanks for the interview tasos and MMORPG.com I enjoyed reading it.. all of this talk about arrogance or that it was needed is pointless.. so are these flame wars.. the game will release and it will be judged simply by how good it is.. and nothing else.. none of hour hours on these or other forums will matter, none of aventurines illeged lies or promises will matter...

nothing will matter except how good the game is...

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by nooblicon

If more developers spent their time actually making their game better and delivering on promises rather than hyping up their own game, we'd have fewer Vanguard, AOC, WAR, Tabula Rasa games and more good ones.

Hopefully DF will deliver, but I don't see how people can question the decision of Aventurine to wisely spend their money on development rather than advertising.

B. spend it on advertising in the many countries in which this game will release

I agree with you in theory there.

The problem is DF is giving up FREE ADVERTISING!

Give IGN, MMORPG.com, Gameinformer, Gamespy ETC ETC free beta accounts, let them play and hype the game for you.

Costs them nothing.

• LukePlumberLukePlumber Member Posts: 74

Translation:

I have no problem with DF not spending bajillions of bucks in marketing campaigns as other companies who have that kind of cash do. That in itself is not a problem and it is good that they would use their ressources solely to sink into their game.

BUT!

That does not answer why they won't take -free- advertising. Mainstream media coming to their offices or getting a copy of the game to test it. Magazines, websites and so on would -love- to test the game and "promote" it by writing articles, giving insights etc etc.

And yet, Aventurine refuses to do even that. Why? It wouldn't cost them anything, so the argument that they want to use their ressources for the development alone does not cut it.

Who says they don't? Didn't Stradden say the interview was the beginning of it? Also, they seem to have a pretty small team and releasing the game properly is just way more important. If it releases succesfully and gets good reviews after, everything else will go by itself.

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Originally posted by nooblicon

I agree with you in theory there.

The problem is DF is giving up FREE ADVERTISING!

Give IGN, MMORPG.com, Gameinformer, Gamespy ETC ETC free beta accounts, let them play and hype the game for you.

Costs them nothing.

why should they get beta accounts? and they can get them during open beta

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

I don't think tasos can keep his word on a 08 release, but hopefully he can keep his word here on a release date in the next couple of days.

good one mmorpg.com it was a good read. darkfall might be all talk, but I think we should all consider the possibility it might just be the best game ever made. and yet lets not get too excited until it comes out, games never do live up to the hype.

My blog: image

• ermordenermorden Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Venger

Originally posted by downtoearth

Originally posted by NormireX

Ok so I think this might be my first actual post at MMORPG.com.  I've been here for a few years though.  But anyway didn't anyone else think this Tasos guy came off as a bit of an egotistical jerk?  I mean just the way in which he answered the questions it was if he was acting like he and his company are far superior than anyone else.  Sorry but to me he just came off as a bit of a prick.

yea i notice that lol, but can you blame him?

Are you kidding me?  He acts like a complete douche bag to the customers he is supposed to be trying to sell to and you don't want to blame him?  WTH is wrong with you people?

Haha multi-account noob troll is incredibly noob.  

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291

Originally posted by imbant

No substance?  lol cmon....

Please stop -praising- Tasos to the high heavens. Most people would agree that he was nothing but ego-centric in this interview and acted like a prick.

Substance? Yeah. We got one number, and a vague one at that and the promise of another announcement, also in vague terms. Lucky for us, he already committed to 2008, so he is under much more pressure than during the last years when he could always say that no specific dates were ever given.

Other than that, this interview is just tasos telling everyone that Aventurine is doing things right and everyone else is doing them wrong, and Aventurine is much better than anyone else, period.

Edit: "It's so easy being a skeptic." <- This one made me laugh. The truth is, it's easy not believing anything...just as it's easy to believe -everything-.

It's trying to sort out the truth from the lies that's difficult. *smirk*

amazing how you read that one 1/2 sentence of mine as praising tasos....lol people are sure copy/pasting the canned responses now.  i suppose that line i also called him a troll?

get over it....i was simply stating that there was substance in this interview

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• dayedreamerdayedreamer Member Posts: 11

BUT!

You don't know how mainstream media networks. Read any blog by reporters. They request developers to contact them first. THey don't ask devs for anything first unless they are a big company like Capcom.

Frankly you fail to see that the devs are networking with a close circle of associates and their blatant disregard for proper marketing is another factor that prevents information from getting out.

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291
    Originally posted by Stradden

Originally posted by Isane

The guy(Tasos)  is spot on he has given as good as he gets, the mmorpg question were all negative as if the owners of this site are becoming more and more like the troll fest that inhabits this site. No interest in games just in point scoring.
    Better sites for DFO info and MMO info than this exist, lucky IMHO that Tasos even bothered to give them a few sound bytes. The trash talkers here just don't deserve it.
    Is it that long since i posted here!!!!
    Well done Aventuring and well done Tasos you made the interviewer look a little pathetic. stand your corner and what you believe in for these reasons DFO will be great.
    And well said Kal'Theo

How were those questions all negative? They were perfectly legitimate questions that many people have been asking about the game for quite some time and I thought that Tasos did a fine job of answering them.

We are INCREDIBLY interested in Darkfall(and all new MMOs for that matter). Not to sound rude, I eman you';re entitled to your opinion, but would you have preferred I ask what his favorite color was?

The questions that were asked were exactly what you should have asked based on what the intentions of the interview seemed to be....a broad coverage of the general development cycle and thought process of the dev team.

You werent asking gameplay detailed questions which is fine....the fact that you got him to mention that they will be annoucning a release date over the next couple of days is causing forums everywhere to go nuts so GOOD JOB!

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

Originally posted by imbant

Originally posted by Stradden

Originally posted by Isane

The guy(Tasos)  is spot on he has given as good as he gets, the mmorpg question were all negative as if the owners of this site are becoming more and more like the troll fest that inhabits this site. No interest in games just in point scoring.
    Better sites for DFO info and MMO info than this exist, lucky IMHO that Tasos even bothered to give them a few sound bytes. The trash talkers here just don't deserve it.
    Is it that long since i posted here!!!!
    Well done Aventuring and well done Tasos you made the interviewer look a little pathetic. stand your corner and what you believe in for these reasons DFO will be great.
    And well said Kal'Theo

How were those questions all negative? They were perfectly legitimate questions that many people have been asking about the game for quite some time and I thought that Tasos did a fine job of answering them.

We are INCREDIBLY interested in Darkfall(and all new MMOs for that matter). Not to sound rude, I eman you';re entitled to your opinion, but would you have preferred I ask what his favorite color was?

The questions that were asked were exactly what you should have asked based on what the intentions of the interview seemed to be....a broad coverage of the general development cycle and thought process of the dev team.

You werent asking gameplay detailed questions which is fine....the fact that you got him to mention that they will be annoucning a release date over the next couple of days is causing forums everywhere to go nuts so GOOD JOB!

XD

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

He sounds anything but professional. I can’t wait for something to go wrong, and watch what comes out of his mouth.

Tasos was completely right. Why do you people WANT a game to fail? Why don't you want to increase the bar for MMORPGs and hope for the standart to get better? We can probably all agree the last years haven't been exactly the best MMORPGs in general have seen so don't you think it's time for a succesful release now?

sorry, but  "I can’t wait for something to go wrong" really doesn't sound all that friendly and hoping to me

Something always goes wrong, people bitch about anything, read the forums here much? My point being, he wont be able to handle it in a professional manner.

We have seen this before.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Atheki

Thanks for the interview. It was fun to read.

But Stradden, saying that mmorpg.com is very interested in Darkfall....?  
    Since when? A few weeks maybe...
    Where were you all the years the trolls and haters roamed freely in this forum and your moderates simply refused to do their job even if you asked them for their help? 
    Very interested? Sure, if you say so...

For a long time, there wazx really nothing to report.

I ddin't say we were secretly pulling for darkfall or that we would pull special strings for them, I said we're very intrerested. Now that there is new information coming out and thing seem to be rolling in terms of the information the media is going to get, we are bringing more of it to you.

And just a point of fact: I don't have anything to do with the moderation here. I run content on the site. The moderators have recieved no new instructions regarding Darkfall or any other game. If you have a problem with our moderation, AS ALWAYS, I would suggest that you contact our community manager at [email protected].

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

Something always goes wrong, people bitch about anything, read the forums here much? My point being, he wont be able to handle it in a professional manner.

We have seen this before.

i bet he will handle it just fine