Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Interview with Tasos Flambouras

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Is there a lot of hate towards DF? Yes.

Could Tasos's rather blatant arogance in the thread be due to the hate? Sure, probably is.

Then my question would be, Why has Adventurine, and Tasos cultured and fueled this hate?

Every thing they release is vague, extremely vague. They dodge questions that arent about gameplay, or NDA game features, but about development cycles. They dont do any main stream media previews, and when they finally hit a mainstream outlet, they come off as curt and rude.

Sure MMORPG.com asked some tough questions... but... its nothing that most of us that are labeled as "Haters" by the fanbois have been screaming about for years.

Most of us that are skeptical about DF, have been following the game since we played UO and AC1. We were at one point in time rather hopeful about the game (at least I know I was)... but you can only fake start beta so many times, pretend to be close to launch so many times. Eventually you get to the point that you want to see some hard evidence before you get your hopes up again.

Adventurine could turn around the DF negativity TOMORROW, by letting IGN, MMORPG, Gamespy, and a few others into beta, and giving them freedom to post what they think. Information would flood out, skeptics would have their doubts either shattered or confirmed, and DF would get some much needed publicity.

Adventurine however has chosen to treat DF like the roswel incident. We know somethings going on in that dessert, but we dont know if its aliens or a weather ballon.

IF darkfall is as close to release as Tasos claims, then there is no reason to NOT get the media behind them. Its free advertising.

However, assuming everything is as good as Tasos says (which we have no third party to verify that) the only thing that disturbs me is beta. Several hundred people is less than 1000. Most MMO servers now have 2000 - 10000 people on one server. With so few people there, they have no way of stress testing the servers or their network. Even if Darkfall is as badass as we are being led to believe, we are being setup for experiencing server side lag and conectivity issues that havent been seen since the first week of Ultima Online launch back in August of 1997.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

That darkfall guy sounds like an arrogant jerk, i wont play his game. roll on mortal online.

• LukePlumberLukePlumber Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

However, assuming everything is as good as Tasos says (which we have no third party to verify that) the only thing that disturbs me is beta. Several hundred people is less than 1000. Most MMO servers now have 2000 - 10000 people on one server. With so few people there, they have no way of stress testing the servers or their network. Even if Darkfall is as badass as we are being led to believe, we are being setup for experiencing server side lag and conectivity issues that havent been seen since the first week of Ultima Online launch back in August of 1997.

Sounds like they're currently hardware testing  - stress-testing is for the OB.

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164
    Originally posted by LukePlumber

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

He sounds anything but professional. I can’t wait for something to go wrong, and watch what comes out of his mouth.

Tasos was completely right. Why do you people WANT a game to fail? Why don't you want to increase the bar for MMORPGs and hope for the standart to get better? We can probably all agree the last years haven't been exactly the best MMORPGs in general have seen so don't you think it's time for a succesful release now?

It's not that people want the game to fail. It's just that some are very realistic with their expectations and for them, the writing has seemingly been on the Darkfall wall for quite some time. I'd like to see Darkfall deliver and be successful, but with everything I've seen and read and heard, I'm ready for when the game finally drops and this forum erupts upon discovering that the finished product is a far cry from what has been promised all along. I'd love to be proved wrong but the past speaks for itself with regards to indie MMO's and it hasn't been pretty.

And time after time those of us who are skeptical have been waiting for the Darkfall ship to turn around and show true promise, not just a lot of hot air and smoke up our asses. This interview was more of the same as far as I'm concerned.

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558

Could Tasos's rather blatant arogance in the thread be due to the hate? Sure, probably is.
    Then my question would be, Why has Adventurine, and Tasos cultured and fueled this hate?
    Every thing they release is vague, extremely vague. They dodge questions that arent about gameplay, or NDA game features, but about development cycles. They dont do any main stream media previews, and when they finally hit a mainstream outlet, they come off as curt and rude.
    Sure MMORPG.com asked some tough questions... but... its nothing that most of us that are labeled as "Haters" by the fanbois have been screaming about for years.
    Most of us that are skeptical about DF, have been following the game since we played UO and AC1. We were at one point in time rather hopeful about the game (at least I know I was)... but you can only fake start beta so many times, pretend to be close to launch so many times. Eventually you get to the point that you want to see some hard evidence before you get your hopes up again.
    Adventurine could turn around the DF negativity TOMORROW, by letting IGN, MMORPG, Gamespy, and a few others into beta, and giving them freedom to post what they think. Information would flood out, skeptics would have their doubts either shattered or confirmed, and DF would get some much needed publicity.
    Adventurine however has chosen to treat DF like the roswel incident. We know somethings going on in that dessert, but we dont know if its aliens or a weather ballon.
    IF darkfall is as close to release as Tasos claims, then there is no reason to NOT get the media behind them. Its free advertising.

actully this has been convered in journal but it wasnt full of details how but yea they found a way to do tis called npc/ai that cause just as much stress as real players. also you can packet spam the server.

but ir emeber taoss saying the server cant till the diffrence between a real player and the npc/bots/ai in game

pretty good hint how they did it

• EloDEloD Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Zorvan

I'm sorry. Just another interview. More words and nothing else.
    So much for getting something substantial.
    The community asked for mmorpg.com to dig in and get substance, preferably into the beta so they could review it the same as the Italian guys supposedly did.
    Instead, more words.

Exactly..

If the game is so amazingly ready to launch then why the hell don't they have AN OPEN BETA?

Why didn't they let in an editor from mmorpg.com?

Bunch of BS from the king of bullshitters.

Forgive my ignorance as Im not a gamedev, I have some limited programing experience... but... isnt stress testing also largely hardware?

You have to make sure that your hardware AND software can support what you want. I'm not just talking the game with my fears, Im talking their network back bone, the servers themselves, how they handle outages, crashes, failures, dead drives, data backups, power outages, etc etc.

Forgive my ignorance as Im not a gamedev, I have some limited programing experience... but... isnt stress testing also largely hardware?

You have to make sure that your hardware AND software can support what you want. I'm not just talking the game with my fears, Im talking their network back bone, the servers themselves, how they handle outages, crashes, failures, dead drives, data backups, power outages, etc etc.

be smarter than the tech...

Originally posted by EloD

I'm sorry. Just another interview. More words and nothing else.
    So much for getting something substantial.
    The community asked for mmorpg.com to dig in and get substance, preferably into the beta so they could review it the same as the Italian guys supposedly did.
    Instead, more words.

Exactly..

If the game is so amazingly ready to launch then why the hell don't they have AN OPEN BETA?

Why didn't they let in an editor from mmorpg.com?

Bunch of BS from the king of bullshitters.

lol ok yoru goign to be hurting here i hope you know that

Originally posted by downtoearth

actully this has been convered in journal but it wasnt full of details how but yea they found a way to do tis called npc/ai that cause just as much stress as real players. also you can packet spam the server.

but ir emeber taoss saying the server cant till the diffrence between a real player and the npc/bots/ai in game

Sorry, this I dont buy. No matter how good your AI is, you cant simulate the effects or even the issues players will find when 200,000 people hit your servers.

If you could, larger developers would be doing it.

I dont disagree that Tasos said that, I just disagree with the validity of said statement.

Sorry, this I dont buy. No matter how good your AI is, you cant simulate the effects or even the issues players will find when 200,000 people hit your servers.

I dont disagree that Tasos said that, I just disagree with the validity of said statement.

thast what the profesional testers are there for

Again, 50 - 100 hell even 500 professional testers wont stress test the servers or the hardware, or find all of the bugs and issues that 5000 players will.

Again, 50 - 100 hell even 500 professional testers wont stress test the servers or the hardware, or find all of the bugs and issues that 5000 players will.

ok what ever i told you plain and clear and you just brush it off

• LukePlumberLukePlumber Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by IdesofMarch

He sounds anything but professional. I can’t wait for something to go wrong, and watch what comes out of his mouth.

Tasos was completely right. Why do you people WANT a game to fail? Why don't you want to increase the bar for MMORPGs and hope for the standart to get better? We can probably all agree the last years haven't been exactly the best MMORPGs in general have seen so don't you think it's time for a succesful release now?

It's not that people want the game to fail.

sorry, but  "I can’t wait for something to go wrong" really doesn't sound all that friendly and hoping to me

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Ah, yes. The amazing Darkfall AI which not only controls all those goblins but also beta test the game.

I still get a laugh from that one.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by IdesofMarch

It's not that people want the game to fail. It's just that some are very realistic with their expectations and for them, the writing has seemingly been on the Darkfall wall for quite some time. I'd like to see Darkfall deliver and be successful, but with everything I've seen and read and heard, I'm ready for when the game finally drops and this forum erupts upon discovering that the finished product is a far cry from what has been promised all along. I'd love to be proved wrong but the past speaks for itself with regards to indie MMO's and it hasn't been pretty.

And time after time those of us who are skeptical have been waiting for the Darkfall ship to turn around and show true promise, not just a lot of hot air and smoke up our asses. This interview was more of the same as far as I'm concerned.

yep. Darkfall can cure cancer, ya herd?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

ok what ever i told you plain and clear and you just brush it off

And whatever logical argument I bring to you, in an effort to get a bit of truth and fact from a situation that plainly doesnt have any, you just copy and paste comments.

Do you really believe, that Adventurine, can hire professional testers and use AI to 100% test their game to say 80 - 90% bug free?

Do you really believe that?

Do you really think this is a good way to run a mmo?

If you answer yes to the above two, then why in the world are the Microsofts, the Sonys, the EA's in the software industry not using it?

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Ah, yes. The amazing Darkfall AI which not only controls all those goblins but also beta test the game.

Cuts down on thoes pesky players making annoying bug reports. The bots dont make them, so "Its ready to go acording to our beta testers"!

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• ZtyXZtyX Member UncommonPosts: 368

STOP SPELLING AVENTURINE WITH A "D", DAMN IT!

that isnt what tasos meant by a i helping them it really hard ot explain. let me put this in a way youll understand

bots/ai/npc cause same stress as real players. (server cant tell the diffrence from players or npcs) ai skilsl up jsut like a rela player it roams it does stuff  jsu tliek a real player would it builds yada yada yada. to what extent do they help who knows but the main one i bet is stress granted theys till need to let alto of people in to double check everything. but i have seen a fake npc logged into (cough swg pre cu emulator that was causign the same stress as a real person)

• AthekiAtheki Member Posts: 26

Thanks for the interview. It was fun to read.

But Stradden, saying that mmorpg.com is very interested in Darkfall....?  

Since when? A few weeks maybe...

Where were you all the years the trolls and haters roamed freely in this forum and your moderates simply refused to do their job even if you asked them for their help? 

Very interested? Sure, if you say so...

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

This has been a time for development. We're not going to sink development resources into traditional marketing before Darkfall is out. We need to be able to support this game and the response is overwhelming as it is.

If they can stick to this, then they're going to have a lot of people. Here's hoping they do a good job.

that isnt what tasos meant by a i helping them it really hard ot explain. let me put this in a way youll understand

bots/ai/npc cause same stress as real players. (server cant tell the diffrence from players or npcs) ai skilsl up jsut like a rela player it roams it does stuff  jsu tliek a real player would it builds yada yada yada. to what extent do they help who knows but the main one i bet is stress granted theys till need to let alto of people in to double check everything. but i have seen a fake npc logged into (cough swg pre cu emulator that was causign the same stress as a real person)

There we go, I can argue that.

See, bots and AI cant cause the same stress for multiple reasons.

#1 they were programed by the same people who programed the game.

#2 Computers are only as good as they were programed

#3 Players do things programers never intended them to do or try, that pretty much breaks 2 and 1

#4 Players use third party apps to try and break the game and cheat...AI doesnt do that.

#5 Most importantly, Players connect from outside the building, from different regions, states, etc. AI connects internally. Its not going to stress test the network infrastructure.

#6 Players use different pcs, millions and millions of different systems, AI doesnt test that.

Thats just a few rather simple issues I can come up with that AI cant solve.... and those issues alone could cause MASSIVE problems.

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

everyone run away the trolls have taken over if you like the game dont even post in here, you'll get shot down for following something that interests you and not what the trolls like

• ReborncRebornc Member UncommonPosts: 42

Some people believe that they should know anything about the game and that they should have played it before it is released. Aventurine in my opinion is doing it the right way to work behind mostly closed doors and then release a game where the big majority doesnt know how the game looks like.

It is so easy: If you are sceptic then wait for some reviews and forget about the game till that point. If you want to buy it on the first day you have to life with it if it isnt the way you thought. Its nothing wrong with that.

What has gone wrong were all the other developers who told us so many things about there game and showed us all the shiny parts of it leaving out all the dark sides of the game making us think it would be the wtfuborgame.... does anyone want to have a 1-20 beta like AoC did??? Ehmm not really.

Let us allow them to do their work. We can still bitch around after they delivered.