Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why everyone is a Troll

Everyday i come onto these forums to waste a little time reading peoples posts and the word i think has killed anyone ever having a decent conversation is the word TROLL and the idea it brings to a conversation.

I remember maybe a few years back i would come on and read good posts and bad posts but people didn't just pass it off as trolling just because they believed something different and give some unintelligent response like "You have no idea what your talking about your just a troll" how does this advance the conversation? It doesn't incase your wondering.

I think i have figured out how we can stop these bad posts is to realize everyone is a Troll even myself. From time to time i think someone who says AoC is actually a good game and tries to tell you it has good points is missing a part of the brain, but i never say that because that would come off as me telling them they are a troll and i would be a troll posting that. The simple fix to end trolling is not posting something on those terms, because obviously it doesn't add to the conversation and both sides don't have to make a huge battle on who is right which kills the conversation as a whole, because after awile it isn't even about game it becomes about past posts or the reply they made about the post before. I'm not saying you can't disagree just don't make it so they seem stupid for liking something you don't or you seem stupid because your just being an *** after posting a bonehead response.

For those of who discredit me for this being my first post is a troll don't even make that argument i have visited this site for 6-7 years and i have given up on reading other peoples post because after the first few replies it turns into a personal battle. ( I ask you please don't take this as a personal attack because I don't mean it as one i hope you can tell me I'm wrong or right in a reasonable manner and not some troll post)

off-note - It was actually fun using this posting system

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Calling someone a Troll is really saying "You don't agree with me and I don't have a logical, relavent rebuttle to your comments". It's what people do when they don't really have anything useful to say.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• DrdreiDrdrei Member Posts: 4

Sometimes people dont want to waste their time dropping a mock or discrediting someone, and they know they can make someone mad just buy saying a 3 word phrase... basically there is too much gray area to make such generalized statments.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Application of the term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term is often used to discredit an opposing position, or its proponent, by argument fallacy ad hominem.

Often, calling someone a troll makes assumptions about a writer's motives. Regardless of the circumstances, controversial posts may attract a particularly strong response from those unfamiliar with the robust dialogue found in some online, rather than physical, communities. Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a troll is usually to ignore him or her, because responding tends to encourage trolls to continue disruptive posts — hence the often-seen warning: "Please do not feed the trolls".

Frequently, someone who has been labelled a troll by a group may seek to redeem their reputation by discrediting their opponents, for example by claiming that other members of the group are closed-minded, conspirators, or trolls themselves.

Basically its all a point of view, I try not to use the term unless someone is posting and reposting the same thing, for example the recent WoW is just like WAR post, it got to the point people were just trolling as the subject had been done to death.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Good job for a first post, Dunathun.  It won't change anything, but good post none the less.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• sonicringsonicring Member UncommonPosts: 44

I believe we are all trolls, becasue the gaming industry keeps making games easier and easier to play ,we get bored and have nothing better to do, then to see if we can get a rise out of someone we come here and disagree with them even if we have never played that game or not.

• JackthecatJackthecat Member Posts: 277

Psht...OP is just a troll who trolls trolls.

This thread is now belonging to me and my obviously superior thoughts.

------------------------------
    Meow

• DunathunDunathun Member Posts: 4

Exactly my point and ty for everyones comments even the negative one all is welcome

• JackthecatJackthecat Member Posts: 277
    Originally posted by Dunathun

Exactly my point

------------------------------
    Meow

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716
    Originally posted by Jackthecat

LUL

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

This thread is full of trolls.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Making the time to make a rebuttal and a witty comment is a waste of time ,  Ive noticed some of the witty retorts on here like they strugggle and be politcally correct, but it is a forum who cares about being polite and civil , its a forum of opinions, people get uptight and defensive when someone says something negative about a game they like... who cares its just a game.. people have a right to say they dont like something, fanbois seriously need to get out once in a while and interact with humanity once in a while, people take things way too seriously around here...

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

Trolls are just a fact of life on forums. 

MMORPG.com is perhaps worst then most because it is primarily populated by malcontent MMO players who cant find an MMO to currently play to get their fix, or are at least somewhat unsatisfied with what they are playing.

To say that calling someone a troll is just whining about the fact that they dont agree with you is BS.  Trolls are Trolls.... they are people being obnoxious and nasty, or starting fights on purpose for the pleasure of it. 

When someone goes to the world of warcraft forums and posts about how "WoW" sucks, and you are all idiots for liking it... that is trolling.

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• EloDEloD Member Posts: 38

Everyday i come onto these forums to waste a little time reading peoples posts and the word i think has killed anyone ever having a decent conversation is the word TROLL and the idea it brings to a conversation.
    I remember maybe a few years back i would come on and read good posts and bad posts but people didn't just pass it off as trolling just because they believed something different and give some unintelligent response like "You have no idea what your talking about your just a troll" how does this advance the conversation? It doesn't incase your wondering.
    I think i have figured out how we can stop these bad posts is to realize everyone is a Troll even myself. From time to time i think someone who says AoC is actually a good game and tries to tell you it has good points is missing a part of the brain, but i never say that because that would come off as me telling them they are a troll and i would be a troll posting that. The simple fix to end trolling is not posting something on those terms, because obviously it doesn't add to the conversation and both sides don't have to make a huge battle on who is right which kills the conversation as a whole, because after awile it isn't even about game it becomes about past posts or the reply they made about the post before. I'm not saying you can't disagree just don't make it so they seem stupid for liking something you don't or you seem stupid because your just being an *** after posting a bonehead response.
    For those of who discredit me for this being my first post is a troll don't even make that argument i have visited this site for 6-7 years and i have given up on reading other peoples post because after the first few replies it turns into a personal battle. ( I ask you please don't take this as a personal attack because I don't mean it as one i hope you can tell me I'm wrong or right in a reasonable manner and not some troll post)
    off-note - It was actually fun using this posting system

Everyone with an opinion is a Troll

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914
    Originally posted by Jackthecat

Troll.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

Im not actually a Troll but i have played them in great games such as EQ and craptastic games such as WoW.

Ok, maybe that was a little troll.

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700

Nice post OP, but you are forgetting the people who will go to a board for a game they don't play or which is potentially competition for one they are slavishly devoted to & then create threads with deliberately provocative titles such as 'Your Mother was a Hamster & your Father smelled of Elderberries'.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• mewzymewzy Member Posts: 67

You are bit idealistic person but i think you have good social perception. I also liked the guys post replying "we are trolls because games are boring". This is really good psychological food topic. It is somehow true. People are by nature competitive and want to see that in games, than when we reallize the game we got is challenging as opening banana and eating it we come to forums to disagree and compete over stupid things related to the game we have but never really got what we wanted from it. To be honest i am sometimes like that myself and i ask myself "are you really trolling" and at least 1% of myself says "yes". When i really really had fun with games i rarely had time to visit forums or i would use them for valuabe stuff.

• TjommisTjommis Member UncommonPosts: 225

If you post good, well informed and on topic information, the troll posts will stand out as being what they are. Ignoring them also helps a lot, and never ever quote a troll post. Then the trolls will leave due to lack of attention.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

From time to time i think someone who says AoC is actually a good game and tries to tell you it has good points is missing a part of the brain, but i never say that because that would come off as me telling them they are a troll and i would be a troll posting that.

No, it would come off as you being unable to accept that others have different tastes and opinions, and communicating such in an immature way. ;-)

People use the label "troll" way too much. Trolling is a deliberate attempt to have people respond in an emotional way, preferably by flaming (insults and other verbal assaults). A (forum) troll's agenda is simply to piss people off without personally resorting to direct flaming.

Most so-called trolls on these forums are just bad-mannered (and usually whiners, haters or fanbois), drawing flames and the misplaced "troll" label because they can't communicate in a mature and constructive way.

That's my view on it anyway.