Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Second Life?? /moved

CereberusCereberus Member Posts: 139

I just wanted too ask you guys who have used second life what is it good for? i mean its not a fighting or sports game so for us gamers what use is second life.

tell me your experiance, what possibilities can happen what cant happen etc....anything cause its the only game that actually works on my linux

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Check out the SL forums, though it may be a year before you get an answer . Yes SL does have combat and other types of games, though it's kinda lame. SL is what you make of it really. To much drama in SL for me to really like it though.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CereberusCereberus Member Posts: 139

thats the thing that i never understood SL has such potential ppl just dont use that much.

think abou all those lame forum based RP for anime fans and manga i.e school life, war zones, clubs etc

can all be made in second life and it would actually be great for RPers.... i just dont understand why no one has made large communities or project like that for second life.

yes i sometimes RP cause i get bored of grinding spiders (2moons -what a waste)

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Second Life is for advertising. Lots of companies and small business think it's the thing to do so they advertise there.

It's for people trying to make a buck selling stuff they made, like clothes or avatars, since you can design objects in Second Life.

And it's for cyber sex, including furries.

Second Life. For the Yiff.

• CereberusCereberus Member Posts: 139

so no matter what i cant get away from the sex and advertisment in second life? is it that common that there is no way of getting rid of it.

• taintedsoultaintedsoul Member UncommonPosts: 1

Secondlife is a different take in a mmo rpg , its not a game persay but more of a virtual universe, where you create an avatar based roughly on what you like, then you can either save up the lindens ( money for secondlife ) or use buy some for yourself and make up your avatar ( person ) to what you like.

There is many diverse cultures in secondlife you can "be" a vampire or furry or just be yourself and go to clubs and meet other's interested in the same thing. There is extensive RPing possibilties in SL. From Gorean Sims to Vampire Clans to Fighting clubs and Samurai Sims . It all depends on what you want to do.

From my experience with SL it can be a very enteraining way to spend some time with people. Explore the user based world or as stated you can shop in the numerous stores to outfit your avatar to your tastes.

Also stated there can be drama when people use SL for dating and cyber sex. Thus there is also a pg rated SL for those under 18 yrs of age. Pretty much every real life scenario can be done in SL.

From biking to skiing, to hang gliding to motorcycles,robotics,anime, anything that you can imagine most likely is there. From dance clubs to rock clubs , to user created live events where ppl actually perform live via SL. Many have taken it very seriously because of the nature of making real world money out of user created content in secondlife. Thus many ppl buy and sell land and make alot of money , as well as clothing and buildings etc..

Those can build up the lindens and made into real world currency and many have made alot of money.  but like anything it doesnt happen overnight and takes alot of time and effort.

Casual users can enjoy it as well and its quite popular.  As stated also there is guns and combat sims for those interested in those things. Like anything if you look something in particular you will find it. If all you seek is sex then thats all you will find there. There is alot more to that virtual world than most think.

Its not a normal game and for many there its just an extension of the real world but in virtual form. And it is not for everyone. :)

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

SL is mostly about two things (1) creativity for people who like to use SL's creation tools to make buildings, landscapes, clothing, etc. and (2) virtual relationships and cybersex, particularly alternative lifestyle cybersex.  The most active areas in SL by far and far and far away are strip clubs, free sex areas, fetish venues, and "lesbian" clubs (filled with a combination of men playing as lesbians and frustrated women in RL who are curious about it but don't want to try in RL for various reasons).  

So generally you're either a content creator type, or a socializer/cybersex type.  There are other people there, too, but these are the two main groups and the second group is much larger than the first.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

With a nice amount of programming knowledge I made quite a few fun toys.  But it was tiring in a way because so few people care about actually building and too much about drama.

It was fun for a little while since anyone who can fly the 'I can script really well flag' are treated like a RL wizard or something.   But still insanely tiring to find out that some of your friends ended up banned from an area you like to visit because someone decided to be a retarded and/or flex some muscle.

Still fun being a warrior one day, griffon, dragon, kitsune, and whatever else the next.  To be honest I didn't notice a lot of sex just a lot of sales of it (granted I didn't have a form that would be attractive to a vast majority of people either).

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by Cereberus

I just wanted too ask you guys who have used second life what is it good for? i mean its not a fighting or sports game so for us gamers what use is second life.

tell me your experiance, what possibilities can happen what cant happen etc....anything cause its the only game that actually works on my linux

Second Life is for cyber sexin' and goofing off.

Nah, who am I kidding?   It's just for cyber sexin'. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

2nd LIfe is really not a MMO, it is more of a glorified chatroom.

• zerryonzerryon Member UncommonPosts: 17

Do any of you people that say SL has nothing but sex and ads actually play longer than 5 minutes and try to find something else. you all make it sound like there is nothing more to it. I mean seriously, just use the search button. Ive found lots of content that has nothing to do with sex or marketing. Ive seen recreations of ancient civilizations, guild wars between factions of good and evil, pirates, merpeople cities, dragon temples, jedi training grounds, even giant fighting robots. Ive been playing since 2005 and have had no trouble finding all kinds of content from day one so either you all really suck with the search button or someone is somehow restricting you to the sex and ad areas only.

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by zerryon

Do any of you people that say SL has nothing but sex and ads actually play longer than 5 minutes and try to find something else. 

I'd have to doubt it. Or, perhaps that's exactly what they were looking for, and all they took away from it.

I've been involved in the sailing community for a while now (accidently sailed right into the middle of a pirate battle today, in fact!) I've helped to create and participate in a number of roleplay regions, to include Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek. I've volunteered my time to help people. I've gone to some classes within SL.

There's a lot more to do than just sex and ads. As I said, you have to be looking for something other than sex or ads to find it.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

2nd LIfe is really not a MMO, it is more of a glorified chatroom.

virtual platform

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by DragonShark

I'd have to doubt it. Or, perhaps that's exactly what they were looking for, and all they took away from it.
    I've been involved in the sailing community for a while now (accidently sailed right into the middle of a pirate battle today, in fact!) I've helped to create and participate in a number of roleplay regions, to include Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek. I've volunteered my time to help people. I've gone to some classes within SL.
    There's a lot more to do than just sex and ads. As I said, you have to be looking for something other than sex or ads to find it.

Agree with you Dragon...there is lots of other things to do in SL besides the sex/drama part. The problem is...you don't hafta look for the sex/drama, it is almost everywhere n easy to find. It takes alot more searching n digging to find active boatclubs or populated RP areas that are to a persons liking.

Newcommers to SL are usually greeted by ppl who take them to clubs n other popular places...which are normally part of the 'nightlife'. And this is what attracts far more ppl than things as boatclubs or combat RP areas.