Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlantica Online. A truly Unique game.

I discovered this gem of a game back when the Closed beta first started and have been hooked ever since. I've been playing it when time allows ever since. My Chars name is Casey on the Sikyon server if anyone wants in game help or just wants to look me up. There are tons of reasons I love this game;

The games battle system is addicting.

The level of character customization is mind boggling.

PvP battle forces you to think about how to outsmart your opponent rather then overpower him.

The crafting system is simple to use and yet has enough depth to make it worthwhile.

The game encourages people to help out new players.

The developers try to make the game fun by adding in events.

This game allows you advance you characters while doing other things.

This games battle system is addictive. Anyone who has played a console rpg with a turn based battle system will easily adapt to Atlantica's battle system. You are allowed up to 9 characters arranged in a grid. One is your main character the other 8 are "Mercenaries". You can think of your main as an overpowered mercenary that also is like a king in chess. If your main dies you lose the battle. The choice of who to bring into battle is completely up to you. Each turn you are given 25seconds to move up to 5 characters. Every character gains AP(action points) every turn. There is a different cost of AP for each thing you can do in battle. If you move you characters to protect one that has been weakened during the battle, you can, but it will cost you AP. If you want to use a ultra powered skill you can but the AP cost may be so high that you will not be able to use that char for the next 3 or 4 turns.  The game selects who can act each turn based upon how much AP they have. You can change who you can use by the "Guard" command but it to uses AP. The system encourages the use of creative battling by the use of stuns, AP, Skills and the grid system. Overall you are given enough choice in how you battle to let you battle how you want to without being so complex that only a rocket scientist could ever use it.

When you first make you character it seems like there will be little or no character customization. You are only allowed to choose from 7 weapons at the beginning of the game. Although its try that you "Main" has very little customization, the real comes from the mercenaries you obtain throughout the game. You start off by yourself but acquire you first few mercenaries very quickly. By level 10 you will have 4. Then you gain 1 every ten levels until you reach you maximum of 9 at level 50. There are no rules on how you deploy your mercenaries. The only rule is that you can only have 1 of the various quests mercenaries in your party at a time. Those mercenaries are all earned at higher levels however.  If you want to bring 9 healers into battle there is nothing stopping you. If you want to bring 9 swordsmen into battle there is nothing stopping you. Both of those combinations wouldn't be recommended but if you were so inclined you could do it. You also must decide what skills to level up on each mercenary.  So the total amount of combinations you could have is, as i said before, mind boggling.

In Pve you can just blast away at the monsters without strategy but in PvP you must use your brain or you will lose. A skilled low level person can (and will) beat a higher level unskilled person. Even when the gap in levels makes would make you think it impossible. For instance if you don't understand how stuns work and how to counter them  you will lose. If someone uses a full stun build they could disable all of you characters for 2/3 of the match. If you come into the battle with a clearcut and well thought out strategy you will have a far better change of winning then the person who just comes in with the plan to win.

The crafting system is not overly complex when you first look at it. Its the economy and the randomness that allows it to thrive. Almost nothing in the game is NPC bought. The entire economy is driven by MoB drops and player crafting. How you craft is you bring up your skills menu and select what you want to make and how many. You must have to skill to make the item as well as the ingredients. Simple enough. You can complete the crafting project by participating in battles, using crafting books or Auto-crafting. When the item is made if its possible for it to have an enchant one will be randomly selected. An enchant is merely a number at the end of the item that improves its base stats. If you are going to craft something there is no guarantee you will profit from it but if you are lucky and craft an item thats in need you will make a lot of money.

This game encourages people to help new players through a "mentor" system. This system gives the Mentor money and mentor points when their apprentices reach certain levels. This encourages higher level players to actively seek out new players and offer them help or money in return for becoming their apprentice.  New players feel welcome and are given help because of this. Also this game allows you to give gifts to lower level playing. In return for the gift the game gives you 20% of the monetary value of the gift in XP.  Its the first game I've encountered that has in game systems in place that actively reward higher level players for helping the newer ones.

Every week it seems like a new event comes along. There is currently a Halloween event taking place as well as a monster invasion and Gm battle event as I'm tying this. These events are often minor things such as bonus xp or free items. But the fact that they do have them shows that they want to make playing their game fun.  The GM's will come and battle players if the playing puts a challenge up. They reward not only the player if they win but everyone that is online at the time. You want the person to win because it will benefit you as well. Most of their events are like this. They encourage community which is essential for a good game to exist.

This game allows you to advance your character without while doing other things. Case and point while writing this I have Atlantica open in another window. My character is Auto-Battling. The Auto-battle system is not a "Bot" as it doesn't actively seek out monsters to attack but it does allow you to wonder off and accomplish other things in real life while your char finishes the battle. The same is true for Auto-move and Auto-craft. Although none of these will be effective as doing them yourself. Its nice that the game allows you the freedom to not be stuck in front of the computer the entire time you play.

I truly love this game. Its like a breath of fresh air in the stagnant WoW clones that the MMORPG genre has become. I encourage everyone to give this game a fair shake. They are offering a guarantee where they pay you for your char if you don't like it when you get to level 50. So you really have nothing to lose. I hope to see you all in game soon.

Comments

• kokoro-chinkokoro-chin Member Posts: 181

Nice review!

Definitely agree with you on the addicting battle system. I am a console gamer by heart (played most of the Final Fantasy franchise) that is why I was really at ease with this game. I was so much at ease with this game that I kinda treated it as a single-player game at first. But, I'm starting to see and explore its multiplayer aspect and started joining free leagues. You can easily grind your way through quests but it's truly a different matter when you start playing against other players. That's where your stragetical thinking is really put to the test!

• bloodcarretbloodcarret Member Posts: 44

its kinda fun but sometimes its difficult you have to think strategically to master your char in your team and counter and encounter attacks, cool of this game they have a various class to choose from and you can combine thier skills in mastery and expertise in order to form a strong team thier are strategy to choose either your a attacker or an offensive player you can study most of them statistically and techniques in order to boost your strategic skills its like chess though and last the market never seen how to earn fast although it is just a single but no need to force other players to buy what item are you selling, there are free mini games too programmed it if you want a trivia game and lots of quests in order to level up faster and improve your skills.

Atlantica good job!

• repapipsrepapips Member Posts: 450

To be honest, the game is really a big thrill for me. I was doubting and had my little worries at first but the story, game play and the virtual world is amazing. I’m really entertained and moved by the game. Its not your typical MMORPG. Sure I’m a big fan of World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy but both have their pros and cons. Atlantica somehow is a fixed mix of the two games I love, Which really is fantastic.

The very thing that impresses me more, is that the world map is huge! Plus, its based in our continents. Just the fact that you can travel to those places (virtual world) really makes you wonder what its like. I’m very sure that everyone in the world that avails to this game would want to conquer their own continent. And that would be a challenge too because other people are trying to do the same thing and thinking it as well. Another thing, having a guild in this game is just beyond what I expected. And it is not easy keeping that power. Who knew in a guild you can be the mayor and work yourself up to being king, controlling the towns security, economy...etc. are something I cant wait to try when I’m a higher level. Unbelievable

There are still things I have to learn in this game and it is so complex. So far I’m taking it quite well. I have already absorbed a lot in two days. I can’t wait to have another go at it.

• bloodcarretbloodcarret Member Posts: 44

ATLANTICA is very realtime strategic battle  care if you have a viseocard that was one gig i wonder what the graphics would look like in some cases most the textures might improved, i hope this game improves more battle sequence and more add- up features.

• repapipsrepapips Member Posts: 450

Does anyone here playing in the mycanae server? i want to know, because those reviews are great and i assume you enjoy playing atlantica!!!

• dubistblaudubistblau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 274

Several years back, i wasn't really interested in playing these online rpgs for several reasons. firstly, i really dont like the rpgs. second, i dont have the luxury to play these games. lastly, i dont have my own pc to play and i dont have money to play in cafe's or shops.

but then i found atlantica... this is my second mmorpg next to RO but i like this way much better than my previous games. i really has a lot of things to offer specially the turn-based attack system which is actualy new in mmorpgs. the great display and graphics which is more sophisticated than any of the games produced in the past. and lastly the great quests which are very entertaining yet it still requires enough perseverance and hard-work just to accomplish them.

all i can say for now is that i am really enjoying this game and i will continue on playing this game until i lose my sight. lol!

by the way, who amongst you guys are from the argos server? i hope we could know each other and you could help me in my quests. thanks peeps! peace!

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

This game reminds me of the old days playing FF, it obouisly has improved on those and i would say this is a must try game, I enjoy it.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Very good review.  I agree with your entire post.  It's nice to play a new game with a classic feel to it.

• dubistblaudubistblau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by Channce

This game reminds me of the old days playing FF, it obouisly has improved on those and i would say this is a must try game, I enjoy it.

yeah...remininscing our FF days... awww... what i love most about atlantica is that it is not just a simple point and click game. they also included additional perks such as mid-quest Q&A's and the free league. but i really hate the free league. lol!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by repapips

To be honest, the game is really a big thrill for me. I was doubting and had my little worries at first but the story, game play and the virtual world is amazing. I’m really entertained and moved by the game. Its not your typical MMORPG. Sure I’m a big fan of World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy but both have their pros and cons. Atlantica somehow is a fixed mix of the two games I love, Which really is fantastic.
    The very thing that impresses me more, is that the world map is huge! Plus, its based in our continents. Just the fact that you can travel to those places (virtual world) really makes you wonder what its like. I’m very sure that everyone in the world that avails to this game would want to conquer their own continent. And that would be a challenge too because other people are trying to do the same thing and thinking it as well. Another thing, having a guild in this game is just beyond what I expected. And it is not easy keeping that power. Who knew in a guild you can be the mayor and work yourself up to being king, controlling the towns security, economy...etc. are something I cant wait to try when I’m a higher level. Unbelievable
    There are still things I have to learn in this game and it is so complex. So far I’m taking it quite well. I have already absorbed a lot in two days. I can’t wait to have another go at it.

I was looking to try a new game a couple weeks ago and had a couple in mind...The thing that made me pick Atlantica is that it is different from almsot any game....Yeah it has some play that is like some of the older versions of FF but really its gameplay feels very unique.......Its sad that so many people see "turn based" and f2p with item shop" and never give it a chance......Those same players will go play WoW clone #344456 though and keep complaining.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

nah, I prefer WoW Clone #82762   but yeah, there's some people that won't even download it because of all those reasons.  It's kinda sad, and less people for me to beat in the free league, but oh well.