Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hows the clothing system thing?

ArcaSpiffArcaSpiff Member UncommonPosts: 99

The thing where you can have any set of armor on, but keep the stats of the stuff. Like having two sets on you, and you can switch the looks of them.

Ughhh... that sounds confusing....  But i hope someone knows what i am talking about.

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Whats the question here?

The outfit system is fantastic.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• ArcaSpiffArcaSpiff Member UncommonPosts: 99

aww ok

i am glad they did that. I think its a great addition for any game really. I hate being stuck with lame looking gear just to have the stats.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by ArcaSpiff

The thing where you can have any set of armor on, but keep the stats of the stuff. Like having two sets on you, and you can switch the looks of them.

Ughhh... that sounds confusing....  But i hope someone knows what i am talking about.

There is enough that you should be able to find a look that will fit you.

I have spent quite a lot of money getting things like alternate gloves or breastplates that I can swap out.

That in conjunction with the dyes and it works very well.

I do wish there was more control over the parts of your outfit that you dyed as it tends to dye what they consider the main part and then alter the other parts (or not touch them) in a fashion they think works.

So I have a great pair of gloves which have a metalforearm part that in design perfectly matches the Shoulder Plates.

However, the metal color of the should plates and the metal part of the gloves do not quite match. And I can't alter that part to be either darker or lighter.

So there is a bit of playing around that you need to do.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by ArcaSpiff

you can actually have 3 different looks. First you have the equipped set, which is where the stats count. Then you have outfit one and outfit two which are cosmetic only. They are two other complete paper dolls that you can dress out with anything without affecting your stats. Also once you equip a piece in a outfit tab you can vault it, sell it or whatever and it will stay on that paper doll till you replace that item with a different one. That way you don't clutter your inventory up. Then you simply choose whichever outfit you want to show as you run around Middle Earth by checking the box for equipment, outfit one or outfit two. 

It used to be you had to be lvl 20 to wear he cosmetic outfits but Moria changed that to where you only have to have a single character to 20 and then all your characters can use the feature.

I miss DAoC

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

I like anything that gives me more control over how my character looks. Couple problems I have with it though:

You can't access the alternate appearance tabs until you're level 20. I've heard you can if you have another character on that account that's level 20, but I do and I still can't on my new guy (guess it's because I don't own the expansion yet). Dyes also sell for like 200 silver a pop, big bucks to a noob. Essentially, you still look like a clown with little control over your appearance at lower levels.

It's definitely nice to have the option though. I remember playing my ranger in EQ2 at a time when the class armor was silver and hot pink chainmail! I'd have paid good money to cover it up with something.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Theo

I like anything that gives me more control over how my character looks. Couple problems I have with it though:
    You can't access the alternate appearance tabs until you're level 20. I've heard you can if you have another character on that account that's level 20, but I do and I still can't on my new guy (guess it's because I don't own the expansion yet). Dyes also sell for like 200 silver a pop, big bucks to a noob. Essentially, you still look like a clown with little control over your appearance at lower levels.
    It's definitely nice to have the option though. I remember playing my ranger in EQ2 at a time when the class armor was silver and hot pink chainmail! I'd have paid good money to cover it up with something.

This is odd, but try getting your level 20 guy up one level.  I believe that will open appearance tabs for every toon you have on the server.  When I hit 51 on my main, I got a message saying I had opened appearance tabs.

Also, there are several shades of green and brown/ reddish brown that are made from dead common ingredients and thus are very cheap on the AH.  Often less than ten silver a pop.  Most scholars pump out dozens of them to level.  Those colors also tend to look much better than the default colors on low level gear. 

I won't wear the lowest level crafted leather sets without dying them.  Lavender pants with a light brown codpiece is not really my idea of styling . . .

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

I found out EQ2 did this and LOVED the idea... almost enough to resub EQ2...  I'm thrilled to hear LOTRO implemented it and I hope WoW does soon!

I would love to see this become standard in upcoming MMO's.  I hate everyone looking the same so often.

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• spr808spr808 Member UncommonPosts: 9

Hey there, you can find more information about the Outfit System in LotRO here  lotro.dksu.com/index.htm and here  turbine.fuzeqna.com/lotro.support/consumer/kbdetail.asp.

Originally posted by Swiftblade13

I found out EQ2 did this and LOVED the idea... almost enough to resub EQ2...  I'm thrilled to hear LOTRO implemented it and I hope WoW does soon!

I would love to see this become standard in upcoming MMO's.  I hate everyone looking the same so

Wow will not, as Look of the items and meshes are part of the loot/enticement design of the game. There is a reason you can’t change the appearance of any item in the game, including color, becouse color is also part of the loot design consideration.

Also, Turbine is the innovator. For many more things than most realize.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

My one complaint with the outfit system (and it's a great system, don't get me wrong!), is that there are not enough PLAIN OUTFITs to choose from. Most of the specialized outfits are too frou-frou in appearance or just plain goofy-looking.

Sometimes you can get around this problem by going to the lowbie areas and buying the simple armors there, but it's still "armorish" looking.

My burglar, for example, wears the "plain workmen's clothes" dyed black -- which is basically just a white shirt, with black pants and a black vest and ratty shoes. My thinking was that (1) I mostly hate the look of the higher-level medium armor pieces on him anyway and (2) he's a rogue-type guy, so some gaudy outfit hardly fits with his image, imo.

I get a lot of comments about how he looks like Han Solo, but it's all good as far as I'm concerned. He's distinctive by being so nondescript among a sea of flashy-armored players.

I just wish Turbine's outfitters offered a greater variety of *simply styled* clothing for those of us who want to look like "just folks."

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

I tend to like characters who look less like they're wearing armor and more like they're wearing traveling clothes as well. On my 20 elven hunter I've found a dwarven robe looks pretty decent "out of the box", with olive green and brown tones. Makes for a nice default look when my real equipment is so mismatched.

I have a hobbit burglar as well, who I just don't see in armor of any sort, and would prefer to have more attire options to choose from.

Still, a nice system overall with a lot of options.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

A picture is worth a thousand words...

How about a screenshot or 3?

----------

How are you?" -Me