Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess the date of the quote!

Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

"We put up some new screenshots in the Darkfall Gallery so I'll talk about those first. The screenshots were taken during the tuning and experimentation for the final look of the game. You may notice the significant progress - aside from some graphical artifacts due to compression issues and movement in the environment. These only appear in the stills.

Some of the screens are from Trinwood, a human area we've used for screenshots before. Other screens were taken on the Island of Namlit. You can read about both of these areas here.

We'll follow up with more batches from every area on Agon, hopefully in rapid succession after the holidays. We also plan to show some videos, and to have a proper status update.

For now, we remain hard at work on Darkfall and firm to our commitment to releasing a finished game, and while we like to joke that this hasn't been attempted before, we can certainly understand and even relate to the community's frustration.

We at Aventurine would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays."

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
http://www.plurk.com/Random_

Comments

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

I guessed 2002.

It would have been too easy to cheat and find the actual date... so I won't post the link to the quote... yet. 

Edit: Heh... looks like some others were thinking the same thing.

Edit2: Nuts!  I was off by a couple. 

Edit3: Good post... these are fun.  Thanks Random_mage

darkfallinfo.com/index.php

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

guessing 2003 , the last time they said the beta was coming soon™

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Wasn't this around 2005 when they had the sign ups for clan beta?

• KienKien Member Posts: 520

2003?

• TheHowellerTheHoweller Member Posts: 407

God, what an ironic and scary...yet funny, idea.  Random, you pulled yourself out of any doubt in my mind.  This topic's a winner.

JFYI, I went with 2004, but have a feeling it was 2007

-------------------------------
    It's honestly like everyone logs onto WoW, and games like WoW, just to masturbate. Everyone plays by themselves, and when they don't, they get what they want and get off.
    Originally posted by atziluth...
    Ah yes when the unreasonable are faced with reason they must resort to personal attacks...When you are ready to move up from the kids table you can talk with the grown ups.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I cheated and put the correct answer.  But before I looked it up I guessed 2005.  So I was close.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

Can I please...please...please pop this thread's cherry?

I know the answer too, I just don't want to say it :(

It's honestly like everyone logs onto WoW, and games like WoW, just to masturbate. Everyone plays by themselves, and when they don't, they get what they want and get off.
    Ah yes when the unreasonable are faced with reason they must resort to personal attacks...When you are ready to move up from the kids table you can talk with the grown ups.

Wait wait.. let me try one!

"We feel that the Darkfall community deserves an update on the state of the game, this being the last day of Septemeber. We had said that we expect to be in beta this month and there has been a lot of speculation and uncertainty about what we meant by that.

We've been in a tech beta since September 2nd, testing, working on bugs, tuning and tweaking, adding content, and building the world. We're slightly behind schedule in some areas of development, ahead of schedule in others, and we're always working on new things, the latest being an optional third person perspective that can fit in with our gameplay design. Overall we're very happy with the progress, we don't have any serious problems, and we believe that we'll be able to deliver an advanced beta build for playtesting before long.

Our idea of playtesting involves a playable Darkfall. We haven't been busting our asses all this time to deliver a world with nothing to do in it. We had that 18 months ago during pre-alpha testing as some of you know firsthand, and we don't think that that's the kind of beta everyone has been looking forward to.

What you can look forward to in the immediate future as we move forward with our closed beta, is the beta registration process for individual players and for guilds to open up, a new Darkfall website, screenshots from our current build, in-game movies, and of course our regular content updates. We'll also give the Darkfall community members the opportunity to become more actively involved within the community, and with the game.

In the meanwhile we're doing our best to get everything ready, and we'll do what we can to keep you up to date on Darkfall's progress.

Thank you for your continued support.

-The Darkfall Team"

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

1997?

2004 was right for the first...I'll go with 2006 on this one.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

lol, this is great!

Every game changes release dates...most don't tell you they are ready for beta and still not be released 4 or 5 years later..

Everyone knows that if a game comes out and says "release in 2009" that you won't see it until at least "2011" and maybe a bit later though, seriously.

If the gamers all know this..how come the professionals haven't figured it out yet?

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Lol this thread is full of win.

I voted 2004 (as a guess). After reading the other posts I think this is the right date.

Scary stuff. A sick and twisted part of me wished they'd released back then, just to see what a horrific mess the game was in. It's quite clear the game is nowhere near finished 4 years down the line so one can only speculate at what state it must have been in back then.

• SomebodyOverThereSomebodyOverThere Member Posts: 44

Change the scope of the game significantly? I thought everything in the world was already given as features at the beginning? What more could they have added? Not to mention the fact that it is beginning to look like stuff was cancelled, not added. But hey, i'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst...

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

Give us a clue. Which century are we talking?

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

The answer to mine was 2004..

Although.. I'm thinking the second one is 2005.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Has Darkfall been in "development" longer than any mmorpg ever created?

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

Great thread......LOL.  This game has followed the development cycle of Chinese Democracy.....

I have my little christmas calendar where you eat the chocolates each day that I spray painted "Darkfall Release" onto.  We're going to see very shortly if they have created new posts for people to quote 3 years from now!

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

You know, sometimes I read threads like this and feel sorry for Aventurine. After all they're only a small indie company who are trying to make an innovative game.

Then I remember what complete shambles the entire development is and how they repeatedly shaft their loyal fanbase.

And then I laugh.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by andmiller

Great thread......LOL.  This game has followed the development cycle of Chinese Democracy.....

I was JUST thinking that in the car this morning!  Darkfall is the Chinese Democacy of MMOs.  Hopefully, when it's released, it received more favorable reviews, though!

BTW, since it's a MMO, can we get a free Mountain Dew instead of a Dr. Pepper? ;)

~Ripper

The quote I posted was from September 30, 2003.

• SupderDSupderD Member Posts: 243

any new stuff people want to add?

"Luckily I know that while you make nonsnese baiting threads that get locked....threads I make get sticked by the mods on this forum...." -imbant (greatest board warrior EVER)
    Darkfall Countdown: http://darkfallreleasedate.com/

• KroganKrogan Member UncommonPosts: 304

90% sure the two quotes are from 2004 and 2006.

• berniebearberniebear Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Dameonk

Point being???

• AdigironAdigiron Member Posts: 83

I guessed wrong...

but this post is great.

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by berniebear

Originally posted by Dameonk

Point being???

The point being, Bernie, is that we have been fed the SAME open statements for the past.. 5 years.. and yet.. you STILL follow them as law..