Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anybody decipher this eye prescription please?

BalterBalter Member Posts: 1,015

This is what the Optometrist gave me but i was in too much of a rush to ask details (am hoping for like 20/40 or whatever)

Sphere Cyl Axis
OD -1.25 -1.50 088
OS -1.50 -1.25 110

Any help is appreciated!

My build: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Motherboard, 4gb G.SKILL DDR2 667MHz RAM, Core 2 Duo e7200 CPU, 250gb Western Digital SATA Harddrive, Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

It looks like every other eye glass prescription I've ever received.  Specifically what they mean, I don't know.  Those are specifications that permit the technician who makes your lenses know what to do in order to modify pre-made lenses to suit your eyes.  I.e. we may both have the same amount of astigmatism but your imperfection may cause the corrective lens to be rotated to a different degree than mine.

All the 20/40 stuff would mean is that you would see the same detail at 20 feet that some one with 'perfect' eyesight sees at 40 feet. And telling that to the eye glass maker doesn't really help them do their job.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BalterBalter Member Posts: 1,015
    Originally posted by grunty

It looks like every other eye glass prescription I've ever received.  Specifically what they mean, I don't know.  Those are specifications that permit the technician who makes your lenses know what to do in order to modify pre-made lenses to suit your eyes.  I.e. we may both have the same amount of astigmatism but your imperfection may cause the corrective lens to be rotated to a different degree than mine.
    All the 20/40 stuff would mean is that you would see the same detail at 20 feet that some one with 'perfect' eyesight sees at 40 feet. And telling that to the eye glass maker doesn't really help them do their job.

Damn i was hoping it would contain the information i need (ie 20/40)

Thanks though.

My build: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Motherboard, 4gb G.SKILL DDR2 667MHz RAM, Core 2 Duo e7200 CPU, 250gb Western Digital SATA Harddrive, Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

The first set of numbers is what you should pay attention to. It's what says how "bad" your eyesight is. This isn't an exact science, but I believe your eyesight in common terms would be about 20/100.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• ZepeeZepee Member Posts: 947

Its definitly not 20/100... if 20 hundred mean you see as clear 20feet away as someone else 100feet away, than I would say thats about what I have... and I have -2.5, -2.0..

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Played- Runescape, Conquer
    Tested- EQ, RYL, Freeworld

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855

easiest way is to call and ask if you dont know. would have been just as easy to call as to post here.

Originally posted by Zepee

Its definitly not 20/100... if 20 hundred mean you see as clear 20feet away as someone else 100feet away, than I would say thats about what I have... and I have -2.5, -2.0..

I was just taking a gander. I have -8.5 and -9.0 and the doctor said in those terms it would be about 20/850/950

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by Finwe

I was just taking a gander. I have -8.5 and -9.0 and the doctor said in those terms it would be about 20/850/950

Wow.  That must be tough to deal with. 

Personally for the OP I have no idea.  My vision is 20/10, so I have never needed a perscription for glasses. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

I have 20/1200, but people are always asking me for these numbers... I guess that puts me at around -12?

And yes, you could kill someone by dropping one of my lenses on them... even when I pay extra to have them "slimmer," they still put coke bottle bottoms to shame.

Originally posted by Cabe2323

Wow. That must be tough to deal with.

Personally for the OP I have no idea. My vision is 20/10, so I have never needed a perscription for glasses.

Hate and envy you so much.

Originally posted by streea

I have 20/1200, but people are always asking me for these numbers... I guess that puts me at around -12?

And yes, you could kill someone by dropping one of my lenses on them... even when I pay extra to have them "slimmer," they still put coke bottle bottoms to shame.

Actually since you wear glasses it would be closer to -15. I was speaking in terms of contact prescriptions. The prescription for glasses has to be a bit stronger because of the distance from the eye.

You need to get lasik pronto.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    Originally posted by streea

PIC PLZ?

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

It means that you are going to die from occular cancer.  You have three months, spend them wisely.