Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG Graveyard...

I thought it might be interesting to get a list going of all the MMORPGs that have, for whatever reason, since passed into the great server in the sky. In my short time of playing MMO's I have often heard people talk about old games that are no longer, but I've never seen a definitive list. Hopefully this thread will go some way to informing me.

Therefore, if you know of any games that are sadly (or not so sadly) no longer with us, please list them here, along with any experience you had of them (good or bad).

Only rule is that all games stated must literally be dead. Kaput. Finito. No 'SWG is dead lol' or similar witticisms. The game must no longer be in existance in any form.

Look forward to reading the posts.

Comments

• IcarumbaIcarumba Member UncommonPosts: 50

Auto Assault!

I bought it on day one, and actually thought it was a ton of fun. It got away from the norm of MMOs nowadays anyway. Got turned off because practically everyone left though, no one else to play with. I was saddened to see that it was closing down

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

Auto Assault

Earth and Beyond

Asherons Call 2

Tabula Rasa- will be gone in February

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

seedthegame

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Sims Online

Motor City Online

• MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339

I'd consider VG to be in that graveyard.  Its a shame too.  I should have been a flagship AAA title.  The concepts were great.  Sadly the poor management's execution was lacking big time.

AoC is on its way.

WAR, the same thing.

And probably the same will happen to MMORPGs coming out in 2009.  There's just nothing good out there.  The whole inustry is just a big graveyard devoid of any life, fresh ideas, fresh execution, fresh gameplay.  Its all been dumbed and watered down thanks to WoW.  Everythings moving backward, not foward.  I would love for a true RPG mmoRPG online game.  Some people want actual substance than mindless raiding all the time.

• NickDieselNickDiesel Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Swiftblade13

Auto Assault
    Earth and Beyond
    Asherons Call 2
    Tabula Rasa- will be gone in February

Of these, I owned and played AA, EnB, and TR.  Isn't it sad to think of how much $$$ we've pumped into these games, and now they can no longer be played?  To think of all the other games I own, many much older than these, that I can still load up at any time to play (because I paid for them one time), but these ones can never be played again....'tis a tragedy, me thinks.
  • metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Milky

I'd consider VG to be in that graveyard.  Its a shame too.  I should have been a flagship AAA title.  The concepts were great.  Sadly the poor management's execution was lacking big time.
    AoC is on its way.
    WAR, the same thing.
    And probably the same will happen to MMORPGs coming out in 2009.  There's just nothing good out there.  The whole inustry is just a big graveyard devoid of any life, fresh ideas, fresh execution, fresh gameplay.  Its all been dumbed and watered down thanks to WoW.  Everythings moving backward, not foward.  I would love for a true RPG mmoRPG online game.  Some people want actual substance than mindless raiding all the time.

What the hell are you talking about??

Both WAR and AoC have decent populations just cause you see people flaming AoC and WAR on this forums doesn't mean they're dying.

Hell Lotro and EQ2 have similar sub numbers to WAR and AoC do you consider them dying also??

Oh and VG isnt going anywhere if Sony can keep matrix online alive they can keep VG up easily.

last time I checked a game with over 100k subs is a long way from closing down. A game would need less than 10k subs for a developer to even consider closing the doors.

Look at games like UO, EQ and AC1 these games have an average 50-75k subs and they are going strong, SWG with 30k isnt closing anytime soon so what the hell are you talking about??

Man I love sandbox games also but freaking attacking linear games all the time is sad, go play UO/SWG emu or mess with Ryzom or eve the games are out there, stop trolling.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Ryzom, sure someone picked it up again but I dont think its resurrected yet.

Realm (I loved that game). Well I think its dead, I doubt anyone would play that game now.

Meridian. Sure some necromancers did a reanimate spell on it but undead = dead my books.

Originally posted by metalhead980

AoC is on its way.
    WAR, the same thing.

Both WAR and AoC have decent populations just cause you see people flaming AoC and WAR on this forums doesn't mean they're dying.

Hell Lotro and EQ2 have similar sub numbers to WAR and AoC do you consider them dying also??

Oh and VG isnt going anywhere if Sony can keep matrix online alive they can keep VG up easily.

last time I checked a game with over 100k subs is a long way from closing down. A game would need less than 10k subs for a developer to even consider closing the doors.

Look at games like UO, EQ and AC1 these games have an average 50-75k subs and they are going strong, SWG with 30k isnt closing anytime soon so what the hell are you talking about??

Man I love sandbox games also but freaking attacking linear games all the time is sad, go play UO/SWG emu or mess with Ryzom or eve the games are out there, stop trolling.

I dont know where you're getting your numbers, VG doesn't have close to 100k.  At the most you're looking at 20-30k.  To answer your other question I also consider EQ2 to be basically dead in the water too.  LoTR is probably doing ok.

• OrionManOrionMan Member Posts: 423

Originally posted by metalhead980

AoC is on its way.
    WAR, the same thing.

I dont know where you're getting your numbers, VG doesn't have close to 100k.  At the most you're looking at 20-30k.  To answer your other question I also consider EQ2 to be basically dead in the water too.  LoTR is probably doing ok.

Either way your post is very retarded. Games with over 200 000 subs are certainly not dying, just because they are not as kitch as WOW. This smells like WOWtard talk.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

A lot of those MMOs listed to the left of us are technically dead just left on life support , about every $OE game with the exception of the Everquest franchise is on life support, Ive heard Hellgate London is dead, Phantasy Star, PoTBs,  and probably a ton of other MMOs not listed are dead games but just wont unplug them .

And I personally feel its time to get rid of the old and bring in the new.  Way past time.

• Sketch5Sketch5 Member Posts: 101

It's amazing how few people in here can read the OP.

The OP clearly states that he only wants people to list games that are ACTUALLY DEAD.

Dead doesn't mean it has less subs than (insert game title here), dead means that the game does not exist, you cannot subscribe to it, you can not play it, there is no trace of it left on the internet. Dead.

In the eyes of many some of the games list are yes, actually dead.  Most I consider not even games, just abominations and shadows of what this genre of games COULD be capable of if there's a developer out there that does it right.  Unfortunately many of us hasn't seen that happen yet. 

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Forgot about hellgate. Theres one to the list.  But Ive heard rumors someones trying to buy it.