Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest appropraite RPG for a 10 year old?

Comments

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

Runescape?

God I hope some of these Tards don't have kids.

I suggest one of the Disney  MMO's Toontown Online or Pirates of The Caribbean Online, both games take really huge measures to keep the creeps away from your children and they are fun to play  (I play both with my six year old and she loves them) and are very reasonable in cost at a bout 5.00 bucks a month.

• dethgardethgar Member Posts: 293
    Originally posted by Soara

Hmm I'd say besides these replies, I definately LOVED runescape from age 10-14. That's just me though.
    I would DEFINATELY stay away from World of Warcraft.

Other good ones include Pirates of the Carribean online and Anarchy Online

Star Wars Galaxies has a wonderful community and just brilliant to get into especially if youre into Star Wars. 

as does Anarchy Online and i THINK City of Heroes (which has a very good theme I think 10 year olds would love).

(assuming at that age you don't complain like other people about content and graphics etc).

SWG is full of cantina pervs and half naked twi'lek entertainers that creepy nerds cyber with in character and in public. No.

• RungrenRungren Member Posts: 6

I am not sure when the release date is , but there is a lego mmo coming out,  as has been said already there are a few games where the content isnt so bad but other players don't respect the people who are playing Lord of the rings online would be a good one if it weren't for said players simply because of the books that go with it,  which is something you and the child could experiance together,  there are even a few good books on the theology behind it (I am a beliver, whether you are or not is not my business, I am not trying to throwmy beliefs at you and am quite disturbed by the church and what it has become).  I do want to commend you on doing your homework though.  There are a few games mentioned here that have a free trial period so maybe if you have time (which I realize can be short) maybe you can try it out.

Also check and see what games have filters for such things as language and blood, I believe in the freedom of games as I see it as an art form, but I am very grateful there are people out there who watch and care about what their chidlren are exposed to.  There is a time for eveything and I wish you luck.

Rungren

• LilyYeLilyYe Member Posts: 2

just 10 years old...just as kello kitty online is OK...so lovely..may suitable for the young guys.. 

• ext1ext1 Member Posts: 98

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Toontown by disney. (of if they have I missed it)

I think that is probably the safest MMO for young kids. They have a lot of great safeguards in it to protect kids. Sure, it's not a kick ass MMO with great quests, violence, and skills...but it's a good game for kids to learn about MMOs at a basic level (teaming up with people, teamwork, and social interaction.

That would be my first recommendation.

• HoneyJohnHoneyJohn Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by ext1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Toontown by disney. (of if they have I missed it)
    I think that is probably the safest MMO for young kids. They have a lot of great safeguards in it to protect kids. Sure, it's not a kick ass MMO with great quests, violence, and skills...but it's a good game for kids to learn about MMOs at a basic level (teaming up with people, teamwork, and social interaction.
    That would be my first recommendation.

that's also a safe MMO ..however, just as i am a girl, so i still suggest hello kitty..

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by airstrike

I suggest hello kitty ,other mmos have alot of immature people playing.
       Tbh tho,no offense OP,but shielding children above 8 from swearing and  violence on TV,in games etc will only hurt your child,because when they will finaly go outside when they are older they will be shocked of the harsh reality of the world,it's better to be prepared for it then to live in your own world where everyone is friendly and politicly correct and then see the true world for what it is.That 's is just my oppinion tho.

If the kid goes to any public school, he's not being shielded from anything as far as cursing goes. The problem in mmos ( and any online game ) are the sicko perverts who will want to "cybor". And that is why 8-10 year olds should not be playing most online games that have any sort of free chat function.

That's why the ONLY mmo I will recommend for a child is ToonTown, and that's because there is no free typing allowed. You have to communicate with preformed phrases and words only.

There is an option that will allow your child of any age to safly play an MMO. Instead of leaving them alone play with them. My 5 year old plays on CoH and my 13 year old plays EQ. Both my wife and I log in and accompany them while they are playing, all computers are located in the living room where we can see what is occuring, and, in the case of the 13 year old, we are able to explore some of the older dungeons in EQ as a coherent group.

Locking your kids away is not a long term solution, supervision and guidance are. Personally I support my 13 year playing EQ since it has dramatically improved her reading ability the past few months. The 5 year old? We'll just say she gets 4-6 hours a week playtime, most of wich is used making new characters, splashing in water around Atlas Park, and doing silly e-motes. Her dad is always there with her splashing in the water with a silly character he let her help make.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• darkevisiondarkevision Member Posts: 3

Good for you that you are investigating before turning a 10 year old loose in a pool of sharks!

I have played games since the Atari 2600's heyday, and also am the father of a 17 and 15 year old, neither of which I allowed to play MMO's until I felt they were mature enough to delve into a (mostly) adult world of anonymity, which of course encourages the most heinous and immature behavior! My son began playing City of Heroes/City of Villains with myself and my wife around the age of 14 or so, and I am happy to say the experience as a family has been quite enjoyable! My daughter( thank God!) has no interest in online games, and I must say that when she did try it for a while, I worried about her constantly! To say the least, a father cannot stop being a father, and I was very protective of her while in-game, moreso than with my son!

That being said, I would really recommend a brand new Nintendo Wii for a 10 year old( boy or girl) with a great assortment of kid-friendly games( Mario, etc....), but if I were pressed into recommending a MMORPG, Toon Town would be great, and CoH/CoV would be my second choice! But as in all things child-related, there is no substiture for adult supervision! So I would encourage you to join your son, found a super group, and hit the bricks as a father-son duo! He would get a thrill out of playing with a parent(who is already his hero at that age)!

******************************"Impressive...most impressive! Your skills are complete!"

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

10 year olds shouldn't be allowed to be on the internet at all by themselves. Personally I would suggest that you take up an interest in playing console games with him. That way he has the fun of social interaction while playing a game in a controlled invironment. It would also be a bonding expirience for you and him. Otherwise you are going to have to sit looking over his shoulder for hours while he plays and he is just going to resent that.

• hellshockhellshock Member UncommonPosts: 53

life 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Runescape? Are you guys serious?? That has the worst community of any MMO by far......I'd recommend either City of Heroes or LoTRO........

• AriocArioc Member Posts: 299

Arioc Murkwood
    Environment Artist
    Sad but true.

• GiggetGigget Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by hellshock

life 

LOL!  I was just going to post that.  I'd have to say, "real life."

Enjoy while you can, for you can't reroll or make a new account -- time lost is regret.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Just get the kid The new sonic game, its really fun.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

I wouldn’t allow a child access to anything online till they are 16, no doubt they can tell you thousands of reasons why they should be online at ten or six or whatever. :)

Here was one a mate told me that I found hilarious. His daughter, who was about 13 wanted to join a social networking site with her school friends. Now supposedly this was run is such a way as only her and her mates who signed on this could access it. I am sure any of you with some decent IT experience will realise how false a promise that is. Of course once she had access to the internet she could access anything with some know how, parental controls or not. Thinking back to my school days, how to get round parental controls would have been hot topic for the boys, so parents who think those controls will work are in cloud cuckoo land.

Anyway, the reason she gave her dad that she just had to join was priceless. Apparently not being on a site with your friends was a new form of bullying. You would get excluded and picked on if you were not involved. I would put a large wager on that being a ‘how to convince your parents to allow you on a social networking site’ doing the rounds at her school.

Even if there was a shred of truth in this ask yourself as a parent, what is more of an issue; possible bullying at school or allowing anyone on the internet to potentially have access to your child?

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

If your going to be playing with you child online then I would say World of Warcraft, if you want to let the lose alone then go for Maple story / toontown or hello kitty when it arrives.

My son is 8 and really wants to play WoW / WAR or Eq2 with his mom and dad, but were going to give him a few more years yet till we let our power hungry psyco lose on the MMO community, about 10 is a good age to start but I have heard of kids young as 6 hitting 70 in WoW so it can be done.

Also vet any guild they get into, most are kid friendly and just happy to have a younger player to show the ropes to, but its always best to be safe and see for yourself.

Also Moniter ALL your kids communication online there are LOT of keyloggers that will let you see everything they type so you can see if there giving out to many details about themselves.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

This one's made by Disney for kids and parents,

http://www.miniclip.com/games/club-penguin/en/

Merry Xmas! :)

• Dark-AsylumDark-Asylum Member Posts: 300

why dont you parents just stop being so anal...?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

Have a kid of your own and you will find out why :)

• DarkenedDarkened Member Posts: 183

www.hellokittyonline.com/us/

Specifically for children. Should fit the criteria you seek.

• ajs08ajs08 Member Posts: 35

I would not reccomend any -MMORPG- for a 10 year old. A great deal of gamers are immature, and your 10 year old will likely be influenced by sexual references and constant cussing - unless you get him a child-specific MMORPG. Even if you do, I wouldn't reccomend a MMORPG.

An RPG, on the other hand, is different. If you want to get him a single player RPG, then you might consider getting something like Final Fantasy. The pokemon series is also good for that age range.

I started playing MMORPG's around the time I was 12, although if I was a parent I wouldn't allow my child to play a game like that, that soon. I wasn't playing with 'pure gamers', I was playing with mature roleplayers, so the bad influence thing was sort of negated, to an extent.

Not saying all hardcore gamers are idiots, there's just enough of them to ruin things.

• PotatoesmustdiePotatoesmustdie Member CommonPosts: 1
    Zorvan said:

Originally posted by Death1942

amazing that there has been no immature posts flaming the OP.

i suggest Runescape.  Guild wars is another good one (as u are by yourself for quite some time) but the language and intellectual level is a wee bit high for a 10 year old.  i say give it a shot and see if u enjoy it.
    Runescape for a 10 year old? Are you serious? "Hi, kan iz b ur frnd? cyborz plz?"

The only game I would suggest would be Toon Town Online. Why? Because you cannot type and talk directly to other players, you use pre-formed phrases and e-motes. No chance for sicko pervs.

I'm sorry but that's not really true. Not every 10 year old talks like that heck I've played minecraft for 3 years and sure it might be a bit childish but so is my name but back to the point, I've seen tons of 10 year olds and I also have 2 friends and one of them is 8 and the other is 9 and they can type better than some 10 year olds can in my school so it doesn't matter if you're 10 or 9 or any other age it matters on how much knowledge you have stored in your brain 
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I would suggest Tera, the game play and player base are quite tame compared to other games.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    pirate or wiz 101 maybe?
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Working off the assumption they are playing with family or a few friends or solo...

- Puzzle Pirates ( http://www.puzzlepirates.com/
    Requires interacting with others. Has a lot of competitive play. NOT for the "everyone gets a trophy" crowd, as progression is based on player skill not character skill. 

- Pirate 101( https://www.pirate101.com/ )
    - Wizard 101 ( https://www.wizard101.com/
    These two are great fun for small groups and duos. If you go free-to-play, you pay by zone for the most part. Sub unlocks everything for you. 

- TROVE ( http://www.trionworlds.com/trove/
    Like Minecraft with quests and a very social but loose group play system. People gain rewards and xp by proximity. Lots of character customization and a fun variety of classes.

- LEGO Worlds ( https://www.lego.com/en-us/worlds/
    Of the various LEGO MMOs - LEGO Universe, LEGO Minifigures, LEGO Worlds - this one was the most fun. It's also the only one that's still around. If your kid likes LEGOs, definitely check this out. 

- Eden Eternal ( http://edeneternal.aeriagames.com/
    Cartoony and very friendly/personable NPCs, but grindy after a while. Not complex and has a lot of content your kid can d alone or with a small team. 

- Mabinogi ( http://mabinogi.nexon.net/landing/ ) 
    Everything you want in an MMO - housing, farming, hunting, fishing, PvE, PvP, raids, crafting... and a lot of it behind paywalls. Lots of reading, but lots of story to get into if you like the RPG part of MMORPGs. 

- Vindictus ( http://vindictus.nexon.net/news/
    While it has the story arcs, quests, crafting, gathering, and central towns where everyone gathers, the dungeons/zones are instanced group area, so this is only loosely an MMO by most measures. 

- Guild Wars 2 ( https://www.guildwars2.com ) 
    This MMO has pretty much everything that MMOs offer except for housing. The reason i suggest this is because if your 10-year old is like most others, they find a zone they like and will stay there FOREVER unless you drag them out. Guild Wars 2 scales content and keeps the zones rewarding for the person playing it, no matter what level they are.  

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?