Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: '08 Reader's Choice: Biggest News Story

2»

Comments

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by Postal13

What about Diablo 3???

Not an MMO.

What about Darkfall beta?

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by Postal13

What about Diablo 3???

Not an MMO.

What about Darkfall beta?

Seeing as Darkfall beta has been promised on and off for years, its hardly news

• vickykolvickykol Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by Mysk

This is the way that I see things:

SW:TOR Announcement
    Blizzard / Activision Merger
    STO Re-Announcement

The change of leadership at AoC and the closure of TR were what I think of as "house keeping" headlines.  Things that happened that needed to be done.  There was also Richard Garriot jumping ship shortly before the closure.
    The cutting of content from WAR, well.. some things never change.  Cutting content from release is standard.  Sucks, but it's standard.
    In the end, I see a MMO release by Bioware as the news that directly affects the MMORPG genre the most, especially with the (dare I say almost delicious) drama yet to unfold as we see its inevitable affect on SWG.

My thoughts as well.  I think that SW:ToR will be a big disappointment, but it is obviously a major story.  It may not have been a surprise, but it is important.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

The biggest news and mystery is "Tabula Rasa is closing yet SOE's vacant and pure crap game SWG still continues on".

That is like solving the Bermuda Triangle mystery, will never happen.

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

Let's see:

Tabula Rasa Closure   //dead, doesn't matter

Age of Conan Directorial Change   //old news, no big deal

Star Trek Online Re-Announcement   //not great to have a reannouncement. Small story.

WAR Ditches Cities and Careers  //old news, game is hanging on

We are left with: Activision / Blizzard Merger   OR Bioware Announces The Old Republic

Activision / Blizzard Merger is certainly worthy of big news.  It is very telling for the future of the industry (ie growth).  But since this is a gamers site and this is a reader's choice mergers don't feel right.

Clear Winner: Bioware Announces The Old Republic!!!  The real beauty is that without more detail information, we can let our imaginations run away with possibilities.  Therefore, in my mind, this is got to be the most amazing thing going on!

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182

Age of Conan Directorial Change.

TOR, etc. is news for 2010-2011.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

TR closure does it for me.

?

• happilpiehappilpie Member Posts: 50

STO  made me way more excited than anything else listed....Star Wars is great and all...but its still controlled by Lucas so I don't expect to much out of it...Surely nothing as good as the SWG PreCU was.  

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I guess for me it was Blizzard +Activision.

Here we have the most successful money making game in MMO's WOW and there owners[Blizzard/Vivendi] decide to share the wealth?this made zero sense to me.WHY?Would a company having success take on a partner?does this show they lack confidence in themselves and feel a total Blizzard melt down was coming soon?

On the other hand we have a fairly decent long standing successful company in there own rights [Activision]why do they all of a sudden want to merge with a proven failure when comes to finances in VIVENDI.They own some kind of record for most money ever lost in there stock market or something like that,fact is they handle money poorly and OVER spend foolishly.The only real success coming out of  Vivendi's camp was WOW,until then they had a bunch of freebie kids hanging out on there battle.net.

Does Activision actually forsee Vivendi/Blizzard as making something of the future or are they just riding the coat tails of WOW?it really baffles me from both sides.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• icyredicyred Member Posts: 138

Ok i think the biggest reason y star wars is getting such hype is cause of the star wars bug... Star wars galaxies was an awesome game till lucas arts screwed up the game with its updates... and since this game is by a diffrerent company... it has alot of work too do too get us too like it more then SWG was. but also everyone has always like the movies and the games... its like Mario... mario is the master in Nintendo, Sonic for Sega, Halo for Xbox and Final Fantasy for Playstations. Star Wars falls in all those categories... any system it comes out in... it tends too be great... your only problem is... which system do you want too play it on lol. usually Xbox if you want too play online with others... PC if its like a MMORPG type game ect... But i will definitly keep an eye out on the new Star Wars game and see what they are gonna do with it :).

• icyredicyred Member Posts: 138

I did forget too mention one thing i do hate about blizzard/bioware ect.... when they come out with a release date... i get mad... cause you know you have too add 1-2 years too that date... it will always get pushed ALWAYS... ex: WoW was pushed for 1 1/2 years before it came out... StarCraft came out almost 2 years after its release date ect... So get ready too WAIT everyone.

• boothbyboothby Member Posts: 1

STO is my favorit.

• MullalyMullaly Member Posts: 1

I think personally ST:O was the biggest announcement. I;ve been waiting for over two years already. Perpetual going under was a big hit to my hopes for the game, but now that Cryptic has it going again, they've somehow been able to keep interest. Perhaps it's because they have more community interaction than Perpetual ever did. Anyways, i'm extremely excited by ST:O's eventual release, and so that makes it the biggest story for me.

http://www.ufplanets.com

sto.ufplanets.com <- Visit our new ST:O Community Forums - Membership not requred!
    chat.ufplanets.com <- Feel free to drop by our chatroom, visitors welcome!

• _Seeker_Seeker Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I guess for me it was Blizzard +Activision.
    Here we have the most successful money making game in MMO's WOW and there owners[Blizzard/Vivendi] decide to share the wealth?this made zero sense to me.WHY?Would a company having success take on a partner?does this show they lack confidence in themselves and feel a total Blizzard melt down was coming soon?
    On the other hand we have a fairly decent long standing successful company in there own rights [Activision]why do they all of a sudden want to merge with a proven failure when comes to finances in VIVENDI.They own some kind of record for most money ever lost in there stock market or something like that,fact is they handle money poorly and OVER spend foolishly.The only real success coming out of  Vivendi's camp was WOW,until then they had a bunch of freebie kids hanging out on there battle.net.
    Does Activision actually forsee Vivendi/Blizzard as making something of the future or are they just riding the coat tails of WOW?it really baffles me from both sides.

Intresting post Wizardry. I saw it as the biggest news story for the year simply because the gaming industry is headed towards a future that is controlled by a handful of giant corporations.

• magnutsmagnuts Member UncommonPosts: 79

Star Trek Online was by far the biggest story of 2008. We had a scare there, that it might not come at all.

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

SW:TOR for sure. That one of the really great rpg companies develop an mmo on this ip, especially this ip is big news. I do hope they manage to keep the quality and storytelling that make their singleplayer rpg's great and use it to make their mmo great. A triple-a scifi title is needed aswell. Way to many fantasy clones around.

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

•  SW: ToR :)