Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do i need cooling for my harddrive?

BalterBalter Member Posts: 1,015

Hey sounds like a nooby question but i need a quick answer. Do i need a fan pointing at my harddrive? If so how do i achieve this? I ordered all my parts just need to buy some casefans.

Thanks

My build: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Motherboard, 4gb G.SKILL DDR2 667MHz RAM, Core 2 Duo e7200 CPU, 250gb Western Digital SATA Harddrive, Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

It depends on the drive, a 2.5" drive probably won't need direct cooling, a 3.5" probably will.  They can get up to 35~50 celsuis without cooling.

Most cases have the front fan blowing directly onto the hard drive.  With your case fans you want to have whats called pressure balance.  To do this you try to use all the same type of fans.  You have maybe 2 in the front pulling air in, and 2 in the back pushing air out.  You also usually situate the front fans lower then the back fans since hot air rises.

If your case has a side fan, you usually want it to pull air in. The side air intake is balanced with the PSU air outtake.  If you have a fan at the top, I would just remove it.  Its suppose to push air out, but typically the fan is unneeded to do so.

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704

No you do not need cooling for your hard drive. They run cool and operate just fine. In fact the data sheets show no loss in performance when they test the drives for excessive heat.

Hard drive cooling is only really necessary in large raid formats for servers. Home users do not need it.

Who let you in the VIP section?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Tyres100

No you do not need cooling for your hard drive. They run cool and operate just fine. In fact the data sheets show no loss in performance when they test the drives for excessive heat.
    Hard drive cooling is only really necessary in large raid formats for servers. Home users do not need it.

Yeah, but you lose the bragging rights.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AcOrPAcOrP Member Posts: 2

Normaly you don't need fan for the hard drive, If you have good airflow and only 1 drive. The HDD should not get hot(over 50 degree Celsius) Monitor the temperature over heavy HDD loads and if it gets over 50 you should consider improving the flow.Flow can be ruined by Case fan under the PSU that  is puting air in and not out. Which make the flow from the back up to the PSU and out. Instead of getting air in front throught HDD/Memory/Video/CPU/PSU and out.

• KarmakaziKarmakazi Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Tyres100

What he said.

• vortex24vortex24 Member Posts: 3

HI,

Personally, I would not get a fan.  Unless you work it too hard and do no have proper cooling with the other fans in your computer, it should probably be OK; of course, it could just burst into flames if it gets too hot...

What hard drive is it?

Vortex24

• dubistblaudubistblau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 274

i do agree that you don't need any cooling for your hard drive unless you always over-work it. hard drives tend not to heaten up so much and they also cool down easily.

• NemmerNemmer Member Posts: 14

Err on the side of caution.

Whether it 'needs' it or not, it certainly won't be hurt by running cooler.  On the other hand, if it does overheat, then damage can occur.

Your choice but a fan is cheap and takes very little wattage to run.

Sarkazmo

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of War!!!

• KfuchsKfuchs Member Posts: 6

Well if you have a regular hard drive in a desktop comp no dont worry about it. You'll be fine without any cooling for your hard drive.

You do need cooling for a proccesor tho.

• VishiAnandVishiAnand Member Posts: 239

You would need a fan so that your PC, in your case particularly your hard drive will last longer since parts would eventually become hot if your PC runs for 8+ hrs straight. There are indicated and intended places in which you should put the fan. Fans are cheap and you can place additional if ever you desire. My PC runs for 24/7 and I got additional fans installed to compensate.