Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Darkfall fall to Mortal Online? /moved

IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Now there's a new forum for Mortal Online.
It's beginning to pick up steam as the new game to hope for.
If DF fails to release in the near future, MO may replace Darkfall in the fanboi vs troll wars.
Mortal Online may also replace Darkfall as the "perfect game that doesn't exist".
Right now we still see this. I want a great sandbox game. Response: Wait for DF it will be the bestest ever.
I want a good PvP game. Response: Wait for DF it will be the bestest PvP game ever. And so on.
But soon, this refrain could be replaced with Wait for Mortal Online...
I'm just saying.
<Mod edit giant picture>

Comments

• KienKien Member Posts: 520

Wow! Until I read your message I didn't realize Mortal Online had its own forum here at MMORPG.COM

To answer your question, if by the end of the year Aventurine fails to prove it has a product, then yes I believe we'll see a mass exodus to Mortal Online. However, I don't believe Mortal Online will become the next "perfect game that doesn't exist". We won't see fanboi vs. realists flame wars like we see on this forum. At least, not for a few years.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    1. darkfall comes out
    2. darkfall doesn't meet expectations of a decade of hype and dies
    3. people move onto mortal online forums
    4. mortal online gets delayed for many years like darkfall
    5. mortal online comes out
    6. mortal online doesn't meet expectations of a decade of hype and dies
    7. people move onto darkfall 2 forums....

by step 13 the UO veteran crowd has all died of old age.

My blog: image

• TheHowellerTheHoweller Member Posts: 407

Yeah...I laughed when the page loaded......Nothing like pixelated tits shoved into your face.

On the issue, I don't really know.  I'd have to guess that Mortal will easily accumulate the same, variety of followers.  They both lie in that niche territory of fantasy, full-loot PvP...So yeah, I believe the same fanatics will show up, given that the devs are as secretive as Tasos n' Co.

-------------------------------
    It's honestly like everyone logs onto WoW, and games like WoW, just to masturbate. Everyone plays by themselves, and when they don't, they get what they want and get off.
    Originally posted by atziluth...
    Ah yes when the unreasonable are faced with reason they must resort to personal attacks...When you are ready to move up from the kids table you can talk with the grown ups.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by Kien

Wow! Until I read your message I didn't realize Mortal Online had its own forum here at MMORPG.COM
    To answer your question, if by the end of the year Aventurine fails to prove it has a product, then yes I believe we'll see a mass exodus to Mortal Online. However, I don't believe Mortal Online will become the next "perfect game that doesn't exist". We won't see fanboi vs. realists flame wars like we see on this forum. At least, not for a few years.

That's funny, because it's already started.

"The game only has one screenshot, i'ts vaporware..."

"The developers are making an original game that is not like WoW. You just don't understand this and you are a troll."

Already posted in the MO forums.

Originally posted by Consensus

darkfall comes out
    darkfall doesn't meet expectations of a decade of hype and dies
    people move onto mortal online forums
    mortal online gets delayed for many years like darkfall
    mortal online comes out
    mortal online doesn't meet expectations of a decade of hype and dies
    people move onto darkfall 2 forums....

I peed myself laughing.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

Its like the nordic countries are taking over the MMO world...

Anarchy Online - Norway

Secret World - Norway

Age of Conan - Norway

Entropia - Swedish

Darkfall - Norway (before they moved to greece, which is a warmer place...)

EVE - Iceland

Mortal Online - Swedish

and a few others that havent been made public yet

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by Mitara

Anarchy Online - Norway
    Secret World - Norway
    Age of Conan - Norway
    Entropia - Swedish
    EVE - Iceland
    Mortal Online - Swedish

And they're bringing a big bag of FAIL with them each time. ;) (its a joke. treat it as so)

Back on topic, assuming Darkfall releases...I think Mortal Online will realise the potential Darkfall couldnt with a more powerful engine and what seem to be slightly more open minded developers. Anyways Mortal Online is faaaaaaar away from any sort of realisation. No need to be concerned about it yet.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736
    Originally posted by Razephon

Originally posted by Mitara

Anarchy Online - Norway
    Secret World - Norway
    Age of Conan - Norway
    Entropia - Swedish
    EVE - Iceland
    Mortal Online - Swedish

And they're bringing a big bag of FAIL with them each time. ;) (its a joke. treat it as so)

Back on topic, assuming Darkfall releases...I think Mortal Online will realise the potential Darkfall couldnt with a more powerful engine and what seem to be slightly more open minded developers. Anyways Mortal Online is faaaaaaar away from any sort of realisation. No need to be concerned about it yet.

This is a recipe for a bland game after dev's cave into WoW's vanilla crowd.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Professionalism (Star Vault) versus Amateurism (Aventurine).

No comparison.

Mortal Online licensed the Unreal Engine, the team has a big budget and Epic doesn't just let anyone license the engine. You must meet a lot of expectations as Epic does not want their engine to look like crap from some amateurs.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454
    Originally posted by Hashbrick

No comparison.
    Mortal Online licensed the Unreal Engine, the team has a big budget and Epic doesn't just let anyone license the engine. You must meet a lot of expectations as Epic does not want their engine to look like crap from some amateurs.

I don't believe they restrict the use of their engine, where did you get that from?  I'm sure anyone who can afford a licence can use it and some real stinkers have been made using the unreal engine.  Some good games have been made with Unreal it but it's mostly crap.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Creating your own custom engine that does exactly what you want it to do must be more professional than using somebody else's.  I predict that they will severely regret not writing their own.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Blodpls

No comparison.

I don't believe they restrict the use of their engine, where did you get that from?  I'm sure anyone who can afford a licence can use it and some real stinkers have been made using the unreal engine.  Some good games have been made with Unreal it but it's mostly crap.

Creating your own custom engine that does exactly what you want it to do must be more professional than using somebody else's.  I predict that they will severely regret not writing their own.

Creating your own in house game engine is a time sink. You have got to weigh the pro's and con's of both. Time will tell if  Aventurine made the right choice.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget 
    Creating your own in house game engine is a time sink. You have got to weigh the pro's and con's of both. Time will tell if  Aventurine made the right choice.

Yes huge timesink but much greater flexibility, they are going to have make game fit the engine rather than the engine fit the game.

• RogueSevenRogueSeven Member Posts: 321

does mortal online look like it would be a good game? yeah, but cant really tell much atm. probably not vaporware but i doubt they will release next year...

until then we'll have darkfall, same basic game, not as good graphics, but i would rather have crappy graphics and a fun game then graphics that give me a seizure every time i decide to swing my sword with all the bloom and glowy crap people are putting into games and calling them "good" or "realistic"...im sorry but the last time i went outside of my super secret underground gaming machine bunker nothing was glowing like the sun...except for the sun of course.

now all the people that are saying "no i wont play darkfall now because mortal online is coming out next summer"...really? so you wait 7 years for a game to be released and when the same basic game that is shinier is (apparently) going to be released in over 6 months from now you arent going to play darkfall simply because the graphics "suck" when i find they are quite good and i'd rather have some practice in the FFA/Full Loot environment for 2 or so years before mortal is actually released

sorry, just a little pissed off that people want shinier graphics when they dont even know what the gameplay is going to be like (for sure). if mortal delivers what is promised it might actually be a good game, but until we are a good way into closed beta and near open beta for it i wouldn't trust their (summer 2009) release date for a penny...even though my pretty US penny is slowly but surely depreciating in value.

Originally posted by stayontarget 

Yes huge timesink but much greater flexibility, they are going to have make game fit the engine rather than the engine fit the game.

You would think but you are just guessing here. You won't know until the game launches. There are engines out there that suk and are not very flexible.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by RogueSeven

does mortal online look like it would be a good game? yeah, but cant really tell much atm. probably not vaporware but i doubt they will release next year...
    until then we'll have darkfall, same basic game, not as good graphics, but i would rather have crappy graphics and a fun game then graphics that give me a seizure every time i decide to swing my sword with all the bloom and glowy crap people are putting into games and calling them "good" or "realistic"...im sorry but the last time i went outside of my super secret underground gaming machine bunker nothing was glowing like the sun...except for the sun of course.
    now all the people that are saying "no i wont play darkfall now because mortal online is coming out next summer"...really? so you wait 7 years for a game to be released and when the same basic game that is shinier is (apparently) going to be released in over 6 months from now you arent going to play darkfall simply because the graphics "suck" when i find they are quite good and i'd rather have some practice in the FFA/Full Loot environment for 2 or so years before mortal is actually released

sorry, just a little pissed off that people want shinier graphics when they dont even know what the gameplay is going to be like (for sure). if mortal delivers what is promised it might actually be a good game, but until we are a good way into closed beta and near open beta for it i wouldn't trust their (summer 2009) release date for a penny...even though my pretty US penny is slowly but surely depreciating in value.

And why do you care what people play. Does that effect you or the game you are following ? I say NO it does not, so let it go. The game will stand or fall on its own. If its good people will play it.

BTW: I demand and expect good game play and good graphics.  Why settle for less.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I have a funny feeling Darkfall will end up like Dark and LIght in the end...

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• TheHowellerTheHoweller Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by Briansho

I have a funny feeling Darkfall will end up like Dark and LIght in the end...

I'll add my sad-face to yours....

It's honestly like everyone logs onto WoW, and games like WoW, just to masturbate. Everyone plays by themselves, and when they don't, they get what they want and get off.
    Originally posted by atziluth...
    Ah yes when the unreasonable are faced with reason they must resort to personal attacks...When you are ready to move up from the kids table you can talk with the grown ups.

• SeggallionSeggallion Member UncommonPosts: 684

It wont matter if Darkfall fails for me, as long I've can play another sandbox. But hey, we've got one, EVE. I love sci-fi but EVE is a litle to much flying around for me. But I tend to fall back to it now and then.

• HolaHolaHolaHola Member Posts: 68

Well lets just hope Darkfall don't fail?

But i will keep an eye out for MO, they seem to be very influced by UO, pre trammel that is. And thats a very good thing.

But i still have very high hopes for DF, but only time will tell how its gonna end up i guess

Playing: League of Legends!

• AramanuAramanu Member Posts: 157

Even if the universe suddenly failed it wouldn't have been as epic fail as D'n'L.

No comparison.

Qualifying developers before you grant them a license is pretty much standard procedure. If you give a license to anyone with money, it hurts your sales in the long run.

You grant a license to developers with no experience, and they release crappy games with horrible customer relations, one right after the other. People begin to think the problem is your engine, not the crappy developers. So you gained one sale of your engine, but lost 10.

It's just good business.

The days of having to make your own custom engine are over. Sure, that was true when EQ released. But things have changed. Dark and Light used Big World Tech. While the game design sucked and it lacked content, there were no major problems with the Engine.

Vanguard used a modified Unreal engine. They had some bugs at first, but those have been quashed now.

Making your own engine shows you can make a game engine, not that you can design a good game. If you can design a good game, it doesn't matter which engine you use, as long as it works.

What does adding Specular lighting or efficiently verifying network packets have to do with balancing skills or PvP?

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by Consensus

darkfall comes out
    darkfall doesn't meet expectations of a decade of hype and dies
    people move onto mortal online forums
    mortal online gets delayed for many years like darkfall
    mortal online comes out
    mortal online doesn't meet expectations of a decade of hype and dies
    people move onto darkfall 2 forums....

Enough said.

Sadly.

Originally posted by Ihmotepp 
     Qualifying developers before you grant them a license is pretty much standard procedure. If you give a license to anyone with money, it hurts your sales in the long run.
    You grant a license to developers with no experience, and they release crappy games with horrible customer relations, one right after the other. People begin to think the problem is your engine, not the crappy developers. So you gained one sale of your engine, but lost 10.
    It's just good business.
    The days of having to make your own custom engine are over. Sure, that was true when EQ released. But things have changed. Dark and Light used Big World Tech. While the game design sucked and it lacked content, there were no major problems with the Engine.
    Vanguard used a modified Unreal engine. They had some bugs at first, but those have been quashed now.
    Making your own engine shows you can make a game engine, not that you can design a good game. If you can design a good game, it doesn't matter which engine you use, as long as it works.
    What does adding Specular lighting or efficiently verifying network packets have to do with balancing skills or PvP?

Nah, sorry thats rubbish.  I have investigated it and Epic agressively sell unreal engine to anyone with the money.  In fact they are so aggresive that they are currently being sued by one customer for over representing what the engine is capable of.  The days of making your own engine are not over, thats what high quality products use.  Lets look at some top games, in fact this weeks top 5:

1. Football Manager 2009 - own engine

2. World of Warcraft: Wrath of Lich King - own engine

3. Call of Duty - World at War - own engine (yes I know it's Infinity Wards really)

4. Left 4 Dead - own engine

5. Command and Conquer - Red Alert 3: own engine

All of them seem to be using the developers own engines, doesn't look like the days of custom engines are over to me.  Btw when you get to the shovelware end of the list it's all licenced engine.

I bet all these devs are scratching their heads wondering why they can't top wow, for instance WAR (Gamebryo) where if you try and play it as intended the server crashes, learn to do a real job of it and not cut corners imo.

• strongaxestrongaxe Member Posts: 848

Mortal doesnt have as many features as DF. 

Nuff said?

Although if DF fails im sure many DF fans would move onto waiting for MO.