Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

revovled around combat

2»

Comments

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360
    Originally posted by ASmith84

i dont get the talent thing honustly. to me to improve ones technique you have to actually do that technique. this is why i am against levels but that is another argument. so you buy a technique from a guy who in no way even shows you how to peform that technique and you level up and have the possibility of never usin that technique and put a talent point in it so your better at it now. makes no sense to me. then you want to play as a different type of player so you have to pay to loose your memory basically so you can put the points in other places.i have the willpower to forget myself thank you very much.

Which MMOs have trainers actually teaching you how to using each skill?  

Anyway ... I think you're just grasping here now.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

i dont get the talent thing honustly. to me to improve ones technique you have to actually do that technique. this is why i am against levels but that is another argument. so you buy a technique from a guy who in no way even shows you how to peform that technique and you level up and have the possibility of never usin that technique and put a talent point in it so your better at it now. makes no sense to me. then you want to play as a different type of player so you have to pay to loose your memory basically so you can put the points in other places.i have the willpower to forget myself thank you very much.
    i like to get up close and personal. i only play as melee classes. i dont pay attention to magic users or whatever unless they arnt healing me which i get quite upset. pretty much i cant comment on that.
    maybe if i say it this time your get it. all i am trying to do is express my opinion on why people play this game. it is up to your own free will to agree or disagree. i only put in all the you stuff to get you involved in it more not to force you into it. please do not take this seriously as it is only a post after all.

Now you want to talk about realism?  Why don't you complain about the ability to carry 50 swords in your backpack.... or falling 50 feets in full plate armor and walking away.... or swimming in that same heavy armor ... or getting swatted by a dragon that is 100 feet tall and "blocking" it with a shield.  Why do you ignore all the many many aspects of MMOs that are realistic and single out this one aspect?

I just love people who ignore all the realism that is broken in every system of every game and then pull out something like this when it suits their needs to complain. 

Game balance is always more important than realism.  Players are allowed to specialize in skills and lose access to others for reasons of 1) game balance and 2) customization.  Realism is a minor concern in games as long as it doesn't A) break game balance and B) break immersion.  

You really are grasping at straws now.

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979

i single this one out because it makes the game less fun than just going with something that makes more sense. i agree with balancing it all out but it can be done another way like the realistic way. to improve ones skill you do it and you neglect the others loosing skill in them. they did it that way to make you play the game longer to get the gold to loose your memory basically or to make a whole new character.  and before everyone whines about it yes it is my opinion.

i single this one out because it makes the game less fun than just going with something that makes more sense. i agree with balancing it all out but it can be done another way like the realistic way. to improve ones skill you do it and you neglect the others loosing skill in them. they did it that way to make you play the game longer to get the gold to loose your memory basically or to make a whole new character.  and before everyone whines about it yes it is my opinion.

Wrong, they did it so that there is a difference between characters.  It is called customization and a healthy game needs to give players choices.  Otherwise you end up with a game were every single druid is the exact same, every priest is the same,  which is exactly what your opinion leads to.  That is something people complain about more than having to spend money to respec. 

It may not adhere to realism, but it makes for balanced gameplay and gives players freedom to build characters the way they want to.  It doesn't give everything to everyone as you seem to want.

Oddly enough Blizzard is implementing a system where a player can keep 2 talent specs they can alternate between for free (not in combat or in arenas). 

people are different so they will play different ways. why does a game have to force this on you? why cant you play the way you want to? what is so wrong with someone who likes bows and can cast magic? or how about a staff wielder that does more melee attacks than magical ones? it does not make sense to me but to someone else it might.  what is so wrong with playing the way you want to? why does this game force you to play one way or pay to play another? noone will play the same way we are all different have different personalities and ways to play games. of course i am favor of balancing it all out like theres only a certain number of skills you can max out at one time. this is a different argument though.

people are different so they will play different ways. why does a game have to force this on you? why cant you play the way you want to? what is so wrong with someone who likes bows and can cast magic? or how about a staff wielder that does more melee attacks than magical ones? it does not make sense to me but to someone else it might.  what is so wrong with playing the way you want to? why does this game force you to play one way or pay to play another? noone will play the same way we are all different have different personalities and ways to play games. of course i am favor of balancing it all out like theres only a certain number of skills you can max out at one time. this is a different argument though.

It is a class based game and now you are complaining that you want open ended options?  The class and talent systems offers a lot of variety to suit many playstyles.  No you cannot have ever single aspect you may want like a table top game, but here we are at balance again.

I prefer level-less classless systems like UO and SWG, but they are a nightmare to balance and most often just end up with 2-3 cookie cutter templates that are superior to every other character build.    WoW does a fine job with 10 classes that all look and perform differently and each have 3 paths to follow to further differentiate each other.  All of this while having good balance between PvP and PvE in the many different aspects of gameplay in each of those two spheres.  It is a very large task to be honest and while not perfect I think they have done a much better job than any game I can think of.

Why you single out this game for things that are present in almost every single other MMO is what really puzzles me.  You act like WoW is unique in this situation.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Now you really are just making it up as you go along, what a complete load of drivel!

As Daffid has already pointed out, if you give free reign to people to design their own characters with any of the abilities available in the game you would just end up with maybe one or two builds used across the entire game as they would be the most powerful templates available with any notion of balance thrown out of the window.

Please just take a look at what you are writing because now you are just generalising about MMO's across the spectrum, this has nothing to do directly with WOW.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

emotional contact NOT ANGER. 10 points to who can figure out what movie that is from.

Enter the Dragon?

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

This argument is totally flawed. By this same token I could argue that I don't like GTA because I'm forced to drive around when I want to fly on a magic carpet. There are games out there that fit the criteria you describe, so why not play those instead of lamenting how WoW lacks these features?

ok i admit yall got me off the topic. yes i know this game cant just rip out the classes since they already based the whole game on them. i am just saying i would like to see a game that does not limit yourself to one playing style. there is a way to balance it but that is another argument. its called thinking positive try it once in awhile. in fact ill make a whole different post just for that.

ive been thinking about my original post and it can be applied to EVERY game not just this game or even most mmo's for that matter.  of course i have to change one of the words and that word is combat. i have to broadin it to a different word CONFLICT. EVERY GAME HAS CONFLICT IF IT DIDNT THERE WOULD BE NO PURPOSE TO PLAY IT. we play games to overcome a conflict and at the end of it we feel like we accomplished something. of course we really havnt in the end. so you just beat a 4 hour dungeon in wow? is your boss gonna give you a raise for it? oh got that special weapon you always wanted? lets see if we can eat at this fancy restaurant because of that. the truth is noone cares in the real world. yea its awesome to win and people talk crap about it all the time but it wont get you anywhere in life. unfortunately it did for some people like that tsquared guy but hes an idiot anyway he dropped out of highschool to play games for crying out loud. no game requires that much skill as say football i bet you i could win a match against tsquared in halo and i dont even play it. that is why i am against a videogame league but that is a different argument.

my point is all games are a waste of time and are  played simply for enjoyment. i do not understand however how some people can have fun sitting infront of a computer for 4 hours and accomplish ONE thing while someone who sits in front of a tv for 15 minutes and win on a match in call of duty.  yes i know it is my opinion and people are different and so on. there is no law against me expressing myself and letting other people discuss it so please be a little more respectful in your posts.