Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, this is what everyone keeps telling me why I should come back to WoW

Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

OMG, omg, 11million subs, did you know that....DID YOU? I mean WoW is such an awesome game because....

check this out...

IT HAS 11million subs...OMG

11million did you know that, I mean if you want to PvP, unlike other games, you can pvp 11million players in WoW.

I mean if you want to PvE, guess what, you can group with 11MILLION players in WoW.

How is Wintergrasp you say...?

11MILLION!!

How is the DK

11MILLION!!

How are the graphics...........

blah...

BUT 11MILLION PLAYERS DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT SO IT STILL MOST BE AWESOME.

What!

Is 11million my only excuse you should play WoW??

NO, dude, there are plenty of other reasons, I can name off at least bunch of other reason why, one sec....

* Rise as a Death Knight - Master the necromantic powers of the Death Knight—World of Warcraft’s first Hero Class. Create a new Death Knight character with a starting level of 55 and break the chains of the Lich King to forge your own destiny.

* Battle to Level 80 - Power your way through new quests and dungeons as you seize ever greater abilities. Assault the terrifying Wrathgate, war in Lake Wintergrasp, uncover the secrets of Dalaran reborn, and much more.

* Brave the Lich King’s Domain - Discover the harsh, icy continent of Northrend, the bleak heart of the Lich King’s empire of undeath.

* Lay Siege to your Enemies - Command mighty siege engines to bombard your enemies and lay waste to destructible buildings in your path.

Borean Tundra:

The sprawling Borean Tundra lies at the far southwestern tip of Northrend, the icy continent also known as the roof of the world. In recent months the Horde has established a dominant presence here as the young and daringly aggressive Garrosh Hellscream has founded the rugged orc fortress of Warsong Hold.

Shortly upon arriving, the Horde met the tuskarr, a walrus-like race of nomadic fishermen. The two groups have since formed a bond, and the Horde has sworn to aid their new allies in any way possible. Garrosh and his orc forces have also discovered the enigmatic taunka, an ancient offshoot of the tauren race that up until now had been thought lost forever.

Beyond the Westrift Valley, which separates the tundra from the mountainous region of Coldarra, explorers have recently witnessed increased activity at a magical site known as the Nexus. Nestled within the valley of Coldarra, the Nexus is a column of magical energy surrounded by levitating earth-covered rings. This ancient site was created by the blue dragonflight, and many adventurers attribute the increased activity here to the reemergence of the blue Dragon Aspect, Malygos. Inhabitants of the region have also noted an increased tension among members of the blue dragonflight, especially regarding the use of magic.

The Alliance has established a smaller presence here as well, and as both factions prepare to launch an offensive against the Lich King and his undead armies, they must first address the more immediate threat: the naga. The sinister serpentine race is using massive generators to melt the surrounding glaciers and ice caps, threatening to flood the entire region.

The Alliance and Horde have journeyed from far and wide to reach Northrend. Yet for these intrepid pioneers, the true challenges still lie ahead.

Howling Fjord

The Howling Fjord sits high above the Great Sea on the southeastern tip of Northrend. It is said that in ancient times the vrykul, a race of half-giant warriors, inhabited the land, founding a vast and prosperous civilization.

Then one day, without warning or explanation, the vrykul vanished, leaving behind only deserted villages and abandoned temples.

Now the Alliance and Horde have come to confront the malefic Lich King and put an end to the Scourge. The Alliance has established a staging area in the settlement of Valgarde, but their presence seems to have sparked off an unforeseen event: the return of the vrykul.

These formidable warriors have begun attacking Horde and Alliance settlements, and many of the vrykul are pouring out of the fortress of Utgarde Keep, not far from Valgarde. The vrykul's motives and their whereabouts for the past several thousand years remain a mystery. Regardless, there is no doubt that the vrykul's sudden resurgence has touched off an ongoing battle for control of the region.

Dwarven prospectors, in the meantime, have uncovered mysterious relatives whose skin is etched in strange runes. These iron dwarves may provide the missing link needed for the dwarves to piece together the mystery of their creation.

On the eastern shore, the Forsaken have arrived, carrying a plague of their own to unleash upon the Lich King. Queen Sylvanas has been methodically and patiently overseeing the formulation of this contagion for several years, and the time has come at last to test its effectiveness against the Scourge.

Before bringing the battle to the Lich King, both the Horde and Alliance must overcome the immediate threat of the vrykul and answer the questions that the warriors’ reemergence has posed. Where have the vrykul been? What do they want? Most disturbing of all, what if they aligned with the Lich King?

Perhaps only time will tell. For now, the battle has just begun.

PC System Requirements

Connectivity : You must have

there you see.....

What what are you talking about no I didn't just copy/paste that from somewhere else....I wrote it!

Comments

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Anyways, the point I want to make is, if you want to try and explain why you think WoW is such a great game..

please

Please for the love of god..

put that 11million bull to rest.

I don't care, similar as to how I don't care how many albums Britney Sears sold with her new single, and how the movie Titanic>The Dark Knight still in the box office.

There has to be more than just this argument to why WoW still manages to dominate the MMO franchise, but to keep bringing up this argument only leads me to believe that players are only playing WoW because it's popular.

And I just find that as a really bad reason to continue playing.

cool?

• SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333

Well i don't care that you don't like the game. No use explaining why it's a good game.

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Originally posted by SpeedMann

Well i don't care that you don't like the game. No use explaining why it's a good game.

Lol, where did I say I don't like the game....all I'm saying is everyone I've talked to about WotlK will say a couple of things about the game and go straight into trying to explain to me that WoW as "11 Million Subs."

It's starting to sound like a cop out.

Honestly I'm starting to think the only reason people still play that game is because it's "popular." Kinda like how in the 80s everyone had a mullet, the hair cut was ugly as hell but since everyone else had one....it most have been worth it.....

• rwnemisisrwnemisis Member Posts: 28

Really depends on your standpoint of WoW lol, i got burnt out after getting a few characters to 70 after TBC came out and i quit... went back because i had an itch to see what WotLK had to offer....no its nothing "new" really still quests and what not but personally i enjoy actually reading the quests and exploring the new lands/dungeons, far as those go im impressed as usual...it really comes down to whether or not you thought/think WoW is a great game... as for me ill play my few characters to 80 and do my exploring and probly get burnt out yet again till the next expansion comes out.

imageimage

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You should play the game you like most whatever it is. Many players like Wow, good for them but that doesn't mean it is the best choice for you.

Still, what was you'r point again?

The reason everyones want's you to turn back is the same reason that someone would say that you should listen to the same music as they do or follow the same serie as they do. And I would only reccomend games I like to you also, but you knew that already.

• mengdezmengdez Member Posts: 15

I think it is pathetic if you want other to help you decide whether you want to play certain game or not. 

If you want the truth, do research yourself, read all the reviews, buy the game and taste for your own. Don't like it? Just dump. Like it? Just continue enjoy it. 

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by mengdez

I think it is pathetic if you want other to help you decide whether you want to play certain game or not. 
    If you want the truth, do research yourself, read all the reviews, buy the game and taste for your own. Don't like it? Just dump. Like it? Just continue enjoy it. 

Not only is this statement off-topic and totally unrelated, but it's also hypocritical. You think it's pathetic that people want advice about games, and then in the very next sentence you suggest they go read reviews. Is that not getting others to "help you decide whether you want to play a certain game or not"?

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

You should not need an excuse to play WoW. If you are looking for an excuse to play a game, then you are probably better of doing something else.

You should only play it if you like it. This game has a trial. If you think you are interested or are curious, try the trial. If you like that, consider playing longer.

That will tell you more than various reasons other people will give you on this forum.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Totally valid point, just quoting 11Mill to someone as a reason to play a game is crap, you have to like a game to play it. Your music point is just the right one as i have no doubt that millions will go buy the CD's released by Britney, Rhydian, Leona Lewis or whoever else is trying to cash in on the Christmas market, but i won't because i don't like them and it works the same for any game too.

11Mill is not a bad thing to point out when someone says that the game is not popular, but you also need to back that up with why the game is popular in the first place, well said.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

There are two sides in the coin you'r flipping.

One side says the game is good because it has 11M subscribers.

Other side says the game is dumpted down because it has 11M subscribers.

People need to stop failing to flip the damn thing and take a look at both sides for a change.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Well populations can matter a great deal.  For example, one of the primary reasons WAR is having issues is because the game is so depedant on population.  Also, one of the first statements you'll read about a 'failing' game is 'the servers are dead'. 

Do people actually play with all the folks on a server?  No, but in the least players are needed for indirect interactions, such as being a consumer of found or crafted goods and being opponents in PvP.  Then there's the perception that the game is doing well if I see plenty of people running around.

So while I agree there are plenty of other reasons to praise WoW, I won't discount the subscription numbers. 

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

I was about to write a big aswer regarding server population and WAR, but this is WoW forum section.

What we need as players is one healthy server, nothing more. We of course also need developers to add more content periodically. Unfortunately, the finanial success of a game is not directly linked to the money reinvested and converted into new content.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Please don't come back.  Trust me, the idiot population, though severely overstated in this forum, is quite high, and adding to the numbers adds nothing.

If you do come back, please avoid my server.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360
    Originally posted by Xasapis

I was about to write a big aswer regarding server population and WAR, but this is WoW forum section.
    What we need as players is one healthy server, nothing more. We of course also need developers to add more content periodically. Unfortunately, the finanial success of a game is not directly linked to the money reinvested and converted into new content.

I hesitated mentioning WAR, but I do think WAR's issues are germane to the discussion.  No offense meant though.

To my knowledge CCP is the only studio that's released a 'one world' game so far.  I'm not sure if the barriers to having more games is the number of db objects or what, but it is nice.  Also, I don't see why studios are so hesitant to merge servers.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

I'm not talking about a one world server a la EVE. I'm talking about one server, the server you play. As long as that server is healthy and thriving, then to the player it doesn't matter if there are 5 servers running with the same game, or 50 or 500.

Of course, more servers mean more people, more subscriptions and thus more potential money for future development. Unfortunately big subscription money is not directly proportionaly to more content introduced.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

WOW isn't a great game beause it has 11M players.    WOW has 11M players because it is a great game.  

' The other game' isn't a bad game because it lost 3/4's of it's players, it lost 3/4's of it's players because it is a bad game.

You can look at subscriber numbers as the ultimate 'election' where you have to pay $15/month to cast a vote.

Originally posted by Azrile

WOW isn't a great game beause it has 11M players.    WOW has 11M players because it is a great game.  
    ' The other game' isn't a bad game because it lost 3/4's of it's players, it lost 3/4's of it's players because it is a bad game.
    You can look at subscriber numbers as the ultimate 'election' where you have to pay $15/month to cast a vote.

Sorry, I just find this post as more hype.......I've played WoW in the past, I use to love it, but after a time I noticed the only reason I kept playing was because it was the popular thing to do.

I also notice all my old friends were leaving the game and turning into WoW-haters, unfortunately they also ended up dragging me into playing MMos like AoC/GW/WAR.

But now I really don't know what to do.....everytime I think about reactivating my WoW account I keep getting BG flashbacks and the 10,000 times I had to do WSG/AV for meaningless gear.

Only thing I'm sure of from my experience is that what ever game comes out, there better be end-game and community invovled.

I'm sick of grindfests and theme park MMOs.....

• ElendilasXElendilasX Member Posts: 243

In my opinion WoW is great game for month or two if you enjoy questing, PvE. Later it becomes another "Grind till you die" game.

People keep shouting 11M. I guess it is 2-3M at best (tottaly personal opinion with no background just own gaming experience). Those 11M includes botters, alts, gold farmers... I think saw some videos where guys own 10-30 active wow accounts. I would be really interested to see how many normal, active players there is.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

bots and gold farmers are a tiny percent of any mmo, the fact that blizz had to add like 20 more servers when the xpac hit shows that its just gonna keep on growing, although i do wonder when the ceiling will be hit i mean the game IS 4 years old now gotta figure it would slow down sometime, not like it matters though as long as i'm having fun i don't care how many subs it has.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

If you liked the original WoW, you'll probably love the new expansion. Luckily Blizzard moved away from the train wreck that was TBC (alien races, space travel and all that nonsence) and is now back to familiar territory. I do recommend this expansion if what drove you away was TBC and not just WoW burnout in general.

• TrexorTrexor Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Jackio81

Sorry, I just find this post as more hype.......I've played WoW in the past, I use to love it, but after a time I noticed the only reason I kept playing was because it was the popular thing to do.

I also notice all my old friends were leaving the game and turning into WoW-haters, unfortunately they also ended up dragging me into playing MMos like AoC/GW/WAR.

But now I really don't know what to do.....everytime I think about reactivating my WoW account I keep getting BG flashbacks and the 10,000 times I had to do WSG/AV for meaningless gear.

Only thing I'm sure of from my experience is that what ever game comes out, there better be end-game and community invovled.

Wow what a tool. 

People who only play games beacuse "it was the popular thing to do." are tools, im gessing you also do black tar heroin beacuse over 200million people do it also?, or your the type of retard that smokes beacuse your favorit power ranger smokes?

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by Trexor

Wow what a tool. 

People who only play games beacuse "it was the popular thing to do." are tools, im gessing you also do black tar heroin beacuse over 200million people do it also?, or your the type of retard that smokes beacuse your favorit power ranger smokes?

Don't be so hard on him, it's hard to find a tool who would admit it so openly.

Originally posted by Trexor

Wow what a tool. 

Lol, what's up with the hate, black tar heroin, crack smoking power rangers??..what??

WTF is your problem, what reason would you have to flame out like that unless I  hit a cord with you.....I didn't originally start playing WoW because of the hype, I just ended up continuing to play because it seemed like there was nothing else better to play.

And to be honest, you kinda sound hypocritical, only a hypocrite in my experience would choose to sound so spiteful, anyone else wouldn't be bothered by the idea as much, you sound like you're taking it personally....lol

Especially since I'm being so frank about it.

Anyways...gl with your hypocrtical self.....

Originally posted by Xasapis

If you liked the original WoW, you'll probably love the new expansion. Luckily Blizzard moved away from the train wreck that was TBC (alien races, space travel and all that nonsence) and is now back to familiar territory. I do recommend this expansion if what drove you away was TBC and not just WoW burnout in general.

Sounds good, I plan on giving WoW another try maybe in a few more months, this time only for fun. Right now I'm hearing a lot of ppl complaining the game is too easy, but I can smell a hater from a mile away..so I'm just going to lay low until I can get some post reviews from players that had a chance to really try the game out.

As you can tell, I have a bit of a love and hate relationship with the game myself. So it's probably best not to rush into things.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I must be one of the rare lucky few.  No one has EVER told me that they play WoW because it has 11 million subscribers.  Quite a few people, however, have told me they don't play a particular MMO because of low population numbers.  If someone, when asked why they play a certain game told me, "I play because it has 11 million subscribers", I would find it really, really strange.  In fact, I would probably question my friend-dar.