Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of trying out AO

MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Any advice for a beginner?

--------------------------------------------
Frodo has failed. Bush has The Ring.

----------------------------------------------
"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

Comments

• ThoomThoom Member Posts: 436

Buy low....sell high????? ::::20::

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398
    I was thinking that too since MMORPG was offering the 14 day free trial.  Then after the hastle of having to download it from somewhere else as their download manager for the game would not work, and after they wanted a credit card number for the FREE TRIAL (Yes, many games do this, and I know why, but I HATE IT) I decided TO HELL WITH IT. 

• klapdoorklapdoor Member UncommonPosts: 87

Anarchy Online is realy worth a try. I've been playing it on and off since release (that's three years now) and I'm still enjoying it enormously. Only been off AO to try a few other MMO's, but they couldn't keep my interest.

Gameplay is fun, fast paced and diverse. Both solo and teamplay are very viable with every class, although some are a bit tougher than others. There is an excelent community and great (ingame) support from FunCom and there ARK team.

The graphics though are a bit outdated and the game sometimes has a bit of graphical lag, but the atmosphere in most zones and cities is just dead on. It's just great walking through Rome, Omni Trade and Entertainment (yeah, I'm Omni, so sue me ::::10::) and you haven't lived until you've been in Baboon's or Reet Retreat...

The game mechanics show that they're more than 3 years old, but to be honest it realy doesn't bother me and it still beats the gameplay of EQ by miles. PvP is unfortunately almost non-excistent until you get to the upper levels. But it is a lot of fun, with the emphasis on fun. And if you're in a clan, it can even be rewarding...

I would suggest to download the 7-day free trial which includes Shadowlands. Although the Alien Invasion expansion is great and you realy should see something of it, it isn't of any use for a low level player. And I can guarantee you that you will spend time in Shadowlands.... (remember, the 14-day trial doesn't include either Shadowlands nor Alien Invasion)

As far as the requirement of a credit card, I do agree with the above poster, that s*cks. When are game companies going to realize that most europeans do *not* have credit cards?? But as a little workaround just put in a thought up credit card number and expire date. Now do remember that if you wish to continue playing with that account after the trial days, you need a correct credit card number or an alternative means of payment (which are provided by FunCom), otherwise your characters probably will be deleted.

As a side note: FunCom will not bill your credit card until after your free trial days are over. So you can cancel anytime before that.

So my advise is: Try it!

===========================================
    I don't believe in God with a capital G and, despite their obvious solidity, I don't believe in the gods with their small g's. Not as real forces in the universe. But I believe in the bitch-goddess Irony. She crosses all time. She rules men and gods and God alike. And She has a wicked sense of humor.

Ilium - Dan Simmons

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261

Asking for credit cards is their way of controlling the jerks who would otherwise join just to make trouble and harass people.  Unfortunately the internets annonimity often brings out the worse in people and a company must have some way of knowing who is who.

I too have been playing on and off since launch and am still having fun. 

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

I've played Everquest for years, Coh, since release, Shattered galaxies when I was unemployed, etc...Anarchy Online has the BEST community, and some really cool content (I actually like the old school content more than the newer stuff (shadowlands etc - although that was cool too). I only played this game for a month or so but, that's cause I won a free month trial from MMORPG.COM. I miss it, if WoW, EQ2 and Guildwars all fail to impress me, I'll prolly goto AO... The only prollem with AO to me is, the complexity of some of the classes. They all look cool as hell but, DAM, I can't figure out how to play alot o' them that I want to play :(

EDIT: I tried DAOC But, due to the sorriest community I've ever experienced, I left it with the quickness.

Mentat

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261
      The complexity of the classes becomes more fun the more you play,  there always seems to be a little something more to learn, which find a lot of fun.....

• sifasifa Member Posts: 115
    Yeah DAOC does have a sorry community. As for the topic of the thread i would strongly recommend that you play this game. Ive played tons of mmorpgs and this is by the best in gameplay/content and most of all community.image

• moonfogmoonfog Member Posts: 979

AO is imo the only mmorpg that works. Sure the graphics are old, but the depth of the game makes up for it.

There is no other game that offers a great customizing options when it comes to leveling skills! AO is the founder of true mmorpgs, and if you try it you will see that every mog out there has taken an idea or two from AO.
    They patch often (altho alot of the patches do result in more bugs), and add content.

The biggist downer is the lag, and bugs everywere. Not to mention idiots that act like they know it all and "teach" you how you "have" to play, if not your char is a Gimp....which is BS anyways because any corse you take is correct because thats the way you want to take.

The only true rule I can think of is max out your main abbilitys all the time as they effect all skills.

As a beginner you cant go wrong with Martial Artist. You do good damage from the start, can heal and dont need to worry about weapon skills.

And hey...its free 14days, so not much to lose. Have fun.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    after a few months with only 2 servers plus one that german u will get to know the people that play this game and why they are still here , so much to do but it take work and some planning professions are all fun and in all the mmo i have played ao seem to have the most rp i have seen a solid mmorpg to play and not hard to get into if i compare doac or eq starting from scratch .

• DetonatedDetonated Member Posts: 105

Used to be an old "saying" for AO/FC: FunCom puts the FU in fun. Heh. That was in refrence to the friggin plethora of bugs that plagued ( and seem to still plague) the game. BUT im coming back to AO after a 2 and half year break lol. The reasons why this game, in my opinion, is so great:

The Atmosphere. I for one HATED EQ but for some masochistic reason , i played it for 4 years and hated (but still did it) standing in GFAY for hours on end hoping would sell that one item i needed. In AO....all i gotta say is ....WOW.... the ambience of this game has stuck with me even after all this time of being away from it.

I do have a question though for people who have stuck with AO for all this time.....is armor pretty much N/A when doing team missions? I dunno if this was a bug/was intended but i had a lvl 157 atrox soldier in very good armor at the time ( albrecht heavy tank, that uhm named kevlar that i cant remember, DiV 9 weapon, etc) and i would always get quad hit for 255 no matter what lol, it sorta sucked. But anyways i know the gear i listed is VERY old but im just wondering if this is still in the game? I tolerated it though because i loved the game alot, i just caught onto to certain exploits at the time and it made me quit. Anyways, to me AO has the best atmosphere of any game ive ever played and cant wait to start playing again.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

i agree 100 % with you for atmosphere, ao has this thing to me still after 2 years but am sorry to say forget about rubi-ka armors . . . it's the shadowland age now and now for soldiers div9 is not the uber weapon for them even more now since alien invasion started appearing alien weaponery but to get these a org is a must .

oh and welcome back to the family