Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an MMORPG that suits me

dan2025dan2025 Member Posts: 4

Okay, so I'm looking for an MMORPG. WoW was pretty much the first computer game I ever played...

Then I quit it.

Since then City of Heroes has been the only other MMO I've played seriously since then.

Been almost 6 months to a year (I think) since I've played an MMORPG, and I've found myself wanting the experience again.

I've made a list of all the things I didn't like about WoW/CoX, and have listed all my problems below. Basically the game I'm looking for is the one that fixes all these problems.

1: In WoW the game was always rather difficult for me. Possibly because I was such a Noob, and possibly because of # or something else, I always felt that in a couple of levels I would just not be able to beat those monsters out there; that things were going to get just too hard and I wouldn't be able to play the game any more.

2. Repetitiveness. I know this is to be expected with an MMORPG, but I'm an Alt-o-holic. I make new characters all the time. I need a quest line/tier that isn't so bad playing over and over and over.

3. Lack of direction: Boy, did I have this problem in City of Heroes. In WoW I always kind of knew what level range a zone was, but with CoX I always, always felt out of place. Besides that, there was the feeling of "Where do I go now?" that was present whenever I 'finished' a zone. I need a game that is very clear, I need to know where my level fits and where it doesn't.

4. PvP. I like the idea of PvP. I really do. I'm playing conventional action FPSs quite a lot and I love to kill other players in those games. In the same way, I really want to fight other players in an MMO. So far, however, I have only met with frustration and confusion. No matter what, it always feels like it's ether two easy or (much, much, much more often) like the other guy is cheating. Twinks in WoW, anyone? You may argue that Twinks stop happening in the higher levels, but see # 2. The highest level character I ever got in WoW after maybe a year of playing was 25. I make new characters all the time. I spend more time in the 10-19 bracket of BGs than any other PvP area, so I'm always dealing with enemy players that were essentially Gods of the battlefield, who would swoop down and, complete with thunder, destroy anything in their path. In CoX I was always in a "what? What do I do here? Where do I go?" / "WTF." mood whenever I tried PvP. Is there a system of PvP that works anywhere?

5. Never felt like I was playing my class right. Esspecially in CoX. I always felt in groups that I was dragging everyone down, and that everyone else was just picking up my slack. It didn't matter whether or not this was true, I just always felt that everyone else was doing a better job than me (except where they were obviously failing). Something about me and the Tanking role don't mix. I just never feel like I'm doing my job right when I play it.

Comments

• DonTrumpDonTrump Member Posts: 104

Give Eve-Online a shot. 14 or 21 day trials (no CC needed) are available. Its such a great game you should atleast try it,  never know you may get the fever.

• kolekkolek Member Posts: 118

Maybe Guild Wars, you might not like the instancing part but there is plenty of direction and is very linear, so you shouldn't feel out of place.  The difficulty of the game is pretty low, so you shouldn't ever get into a spot where it starts to get frustration. I've always found the story to be pretty entertaining so if you make an alt it shouldn't be too boring. Lastly, one of the best things about GW is it's great PvP, easy to pick up and very fast-paced.

Everquest II could also fit your criteria, I've only played it a little but if you check it out it might have what you're looking for.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by dan2025

Okay, so I'm looking for an MMORPG. WoW was pretty much the first computer game I ever played...
    Then I quit it.
    Since then City of Heroes has been the only other MMO I've played seriously since then.
    Been almost 6 months to a year (I think) since I've played an MMORPG, and I've found myself wanting the experience again.
    I've made a list of all the things I didn't like about WoW/CoX, and have listed all my problems below. Basically the game I'm looking for is the one that fixes all these problems.

1: In WoW the game was always rather difficult for me. Possibly because I was such a Noob, and possibly because of # or something else, I always felt that in a couple of levels I would just not be able to beat those monsters out there; that things were going to get just too hard and I would be able to play the game any more.
    2. Repetitiveness. I know this is to be expected with an MMORPG, but I'm an Alt-o-holic. I make new characters all the time. I a quest line/tier that isn't so bad playing over and over and over.
    3. Lack of direction: Boy, did I have this problem in City of Heroes. In WoW I always kind of knew what level range a zone was, but with CoX I always, always felt out of place. Besides that, there was the feeling of "Where do I go now?" that was present whenever I 'finished' a zone. I need a game that is very clear, I need to know where my level fits and where it doesn't.
    4. PvP. I like the idea of PvP. I really do. I'm playing conventional action FPSs quite a lot and I love to kill other players in those games. In the same way, I really want to fight other players in an MMO. So far, however, I have only met with frustration and confusion. No matter what, it always feels like it's ether two easy or (much, much, much more often) like the other guy is cheating. Twinks in WoW, anyone? You may argue that Twinks stop happening in the higher levels, but see # 2. The highest level character I ever got in WoW after maybe a year of playing was 25. I make new characters all the time. I spend more time in the 10-19 bracket of BGs than any other PvP area, so I'm always dealing with enemy players that were essentially Gods of the battlefield, who would swoop down and, complete with thunder, destroy anything in their path. In CoX I was always in a "what? What do I do here? Where do I go?" / "WTF." mood whenever I tried PvP. Is there a system of PvP that works anywhere?
    5. Never felt like I was playing my class right. Esspecially in CoX. I always felt in groups that I was dragging everyone down, and that everyone else was just picking up my slack. It didn't matter whether or not this was true, I just always felt that everyone else was doing a better job than me (except where they were obviously failing). Something about me and the Tanking role don't mix. I just never feel like I'm doing my job right when I play it.

hmmm.

Try Lord of the Rings.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

You might like EVE, but it is considered one of the most difficult MMOs currently out so personally I don't suggest it. This picture has become very popular on showing how easy it is to learn vs some other popular names: EVE Online Learning Curve

As for a game to suggest you may not like the graphics since you didn't specify a type, but give Wizard101 a shot. Quests are easy to follow, pvp comes in the form of arena duels, the only way you could be a poopy player is if you are afk in a fight, and its combat style is different from any other MMO currently out.

Edit Add: There's a review on Wizard101 HERE.

• makervsmmakervsm Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by DonTrump

Give Eve-Online a shot. 14 or 21 day trials (no CC needed) are available. Its such a great game you should atleast try it,  never know you may get the fever.

After stating that he doesn't like difficult games and, more importantly, doesn't like a game without a sense of direction you advise him to tryout EVE? Are you serious? That was probably the worst suggestion you could've made.

• 0803008030 Member Posts: 97

I am no fan of Guild Wars but I have to agree with that other poster, It sounds like your looking for a mmo thats more laid back. So I think thats your best bet, If your looking for a free game however possibly atlantica, Ace Online, or RF Online if it's still up some place.

Guild Wars is a good mmo, very few bugs, decent community, easy to learn and a half decent story line. What I didnt like about it was that everything is instanced, The only PvP when I played was found inside the arena. I have no idea if that changed or not. Arena PvP to me is just LOL, it seems scripted and it put me to sleep when all I ever saw were rambo builds or invinci monks, but others loved so dont judge it to much based on my dislikes see it for your self if it interests you.