Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WotLK; the new MMORPG techniques being used. Blizzard did it again.

Comments

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

can someone explain what phasing is for a dummy?

• strategystrategy Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by nomadian

Depending on the players doing certain quest(s), the world changes to him but not to other players who didn't do these adventures.

In TBC it was used for the first time in patch 2.4 but only temporarely and you went to another dimension to do a quest in the same region, changing the region to the player.

In WotLK - while having some quests with this same technique - some other longer questlines, change the landscape FOREVER to that character.

For instance: an important hero from the game could die and the zone changes, while for another player that hero is still alive.

WotLK uses the second step in this process, meaning the change is a CHANGE in the story line of the MMO and it changes the world accordingly forever for that player....

First and second steps are interesting, but it  is clear it will lead up to complete seperate story lines in MMO's where you venture to different ... worlds (hint - hint).

Very interesting stuff. Blizzard or not, but they are using it in its second form right now !

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I played wow for a year, Got 2 level 70s, It was not fun, It was entertaining. Like most mmorpgs. Nothing special.

Originally posted by Calintz333

I played wow for a year, Got 2 level 70s, It was not fun, It was entertaining. Like most mmorpgs. Nothing special.

Good for you. Np.

That was not even the meaning of why I publish the post. This is MMORPG.COM and discussing the future of MMO's and their techniques, no ?

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by grimal

Originally posted by IceAge

Originally posted by FE|Tachyon

I've said it for years,  Blizzard is the best company doing what they do.   They are the benchmark.  Their product may not be the product for everyone, but they produce the highest quality, and functional MMO, ever.    They don't do EVERYTHING better then everyone else, but they do a lot of things VERY VERY WELL.   I won't return to World of Warcraft,  but I can still agree, that it is a great game.   Blizzards NEXT MMO will be the only WoW killer.   Starcraft MMO anyone?  Ohhh I gotta chubby just thinking about it.

That's funny.  So if their next MMO flops will you eat your words? 

Blizzard is just another company.  They've produced games I like and games I don't.  No company will ever produce solid hits.

Wrong. Tell me a game from Blizzard that has not been a hit. Blizzard isn't just "another company". From my point of view there is : Blizzard and others ...

Sure: Lord of the Rings Vol I release 1992..didnt do too well...

I don't know if u try to be "smart" with that line , but I am not talking about the few games which they made in early '90 . I am talking from the point where they created Warcraft till today. So no, you are not cool and you have no valid points in bashing Blizzard. They are good , very good to be specific. They HAVE the power and knowledge to take MMo's to a higher lvl. I am not saying that other companys can't do that , but Blizzard are in front of them in any way , for now.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by strategy

Originally posted by Aethios

Here it is being used to change a complete zone. - IN game - depending on the questline and middle in the game. Meaning stories will be uncovered to individual players with complete land reshaping and questgivers.

A complete zone? Where? I've seen them add buildings and NPCs and even change the color of the terrain or add fire effects and such, but hardly anything as significant as changing the terrain, and especially not the entire zone.

I won't do spoilers: I'll give a few hints: Dragonblight. And do please continue the questlines because the follow ups go on.

At no point does phasing change the "complete zone" as you seem to imply. Not even close.

Here it is being used to change a complete zone. - IN game - depending on the questline and middle in the game. Meaning stories will be uncovered to individual players with complete land reshaping and questgivers.

A complete zone? Where? I've seen them add buildings and NPCs and even change the color of the terrain or add fire effects and such, but hardly anything as significant as changing the terrain, and especially not the entire zone.

I won't do spoilers: I'll give a few hints: Dragonblight. And do please continue the questlines because the follow ups go on.

At no point does phasing change the "complete zone" as you seem to imply. Not even close.

O yes it does. And upon changing it, it even changes the world and its heroes...for only the characters that do certain questlines. If you mean the "whole complete zone". No

But that is not even a discussion here/ The zones change and the world to that character changed with a definate character.

A first in MMORPG's.

O yes it does. And upon changing it, it even changes the world and its heroes...for only the characters that do certain questlines. If you mean the "whole complete zone". No

But that is not even a discussion here/ The zones change and the world to that character changed with a definate character.

A first in MMORPG's.

No, it's NOT a first in MMORPGs... and we've circled right back around to where you started this pointless argument in the first place.

Blizzard is not the first company to use phasing, and they aren't even using it to its full capabilities.

Depending on the players doing certain quest(s), the world changes to him but not to other players who didn't do these adventures.
    In TBC it was used for the first time in patch 2.4 but only temporarely and you went to another dimension to do a quest in the same region, changing the region to the player.
    In WotLK - while having some quests with this same technique - some other longer questlines, change the landscape FOREVER to that character.
    For instance: an important hero from the game could die and the zone changes, while for another player that hero is still alive.
    WotLK uses the second step in this process, meaning the change is a CHANGE in the story line of the MMO and it changes the world accordingly forever for that player....
    First and second steps are interesting, but it  is clear it will lead up to complete seperate story lines in MMO's where you venture to different ... worlds (hint - hint).
    Very interesting stuff. Blizzard or not, but they are using it in its second form right now !

ha wow that's pretty interesting, though surely when you think about it the idea of the persistant world is completely changed. Perhaps this is actually quite unimportant when players are sort of creating their own reality rather than a shared one however.

ha wow that's pretty interesting, though surely the idea of the persistant world is completely changed. Though perhaps that is unimportant when players are sort of creating their own reality rather than a shared one.

They aren't creating their own reality, it's still shared, but only with people who are at the same point (or further) in the quest chain as you are.

ha wow that's pretty interesting, though surely the idea of the persistant world is completely changed. Though perhaps that is unimportant when players are sort of creating their own reality rather than a shared one.

They aren't creating their own reality, it's still shared, but only with people who are at the same point (or further) in the quest chain as you are.

ah I see, useful.

A first in MMORPG's.

No, it's NOT a first in MMORPGs... and we've circled right back around to where you started this pointless argument in the first place.

Blizzard is not the first company to use phasing, and they aren't even using it to its full capabilities.

I know its hard to swallow with all the Wow hate around here. But you are plain wrong.

It IS a first in MMO land . The world you quest in changed in completing some adventures. The story line even changed IN game in doing these quests and it is a very first,

The landscape changes according to what you do (or not do) and another player not doing some adventures sees ANOTHER part of zones.

So you may say 10.000 time no, I don't care. I know MILLIONS of players will see it now and in the future and act accordingly when a new MMORPG will come along. Just like they didn't like the closed up worlds of recently launched MMO's, they will refer to the 3D rendering overfly worlds in TBC.

I say Blizzard used this phasing technique (they even invented the name) and it's a first to influence a fantasy world and individual questing on line.

I know its hard to swallow with all the Wow hate around here. But you are plain wrong.

It IS a first in MMO land . The world you quest in changed in completing some adventures. The story line even changed IN game in doing these quests and it is a very first,
    The landscape changes according to what you do (or not do) and another player not doing some adventures sees ANOTHER part of zones.
    So you may say 10.000 time no, I don't care. I know MILLIONS of players will see it now and in the future and act accordingly when a new MMORPG will come along. Just like they didn't like the closed up worlds of recently launched MMO's, they will refer to the 3D rendering overfly worlds in TBC.
    I say Blizzard used this phasing technique (they even invented the name) and it's a first to influence a fantasy world and individual questing on line.

This gibberish doesn't even make sense. WoW hate? I don't hate WoW, in fact I am playing it right now. I've already given you several examples where phasing has already been used before, and yet you are STILL saying "I don't care, I say it's a first." That doesn't make you right. Then you accuse me of doing the same thing? At least I have proof to back up my claims, and not just "because I said so."

Millions of people might play WoW and think they are the first to use phasing, but they would be wrong, just as you are wrong now. Blizzard may have "named" phasing, but that doesn't mean they invented the technology. As I said before, they aren't even using it to its full capabilities. They could do so much more with this if they wanted to, but they are just taking the easy way out, as Blizzard is prone to do.

As for the "first to influence a fantasy world"... no, wrong again. Runescape is a fantasy world, and has been using phasing for years.

This gibberish doesn't even make sense. WoW hate? I don't hate WoW, in fact I am playing it right now. I've already given you several examples where phasing has already been used before, and yet you are STILL saying "I don't care, I say it's a first." That doesn't make you right. Then you accuse me of doing the same thing? At least I have proof to back up my claims, and not just "because I said so."

Millions of people might play WoW and think they are the first to use phasing, but they would be wrong, just as you are wrong now. Blizzard may have "named" phasing, but that doesn't mean they invented the technology. As I said before, they aren't even using it to its full capabilities. They could do so much more with this if they wanted to, but they are just taking the easy way out, as Blizzard is prone to do.

As for the "first to influence a fantasy world"... no, wrong again. Runescape is a fantasy world, and has been using phasing for years.

So WHERE did Runescape changed its zones ? Nada? No way. It didn't even have an impact on the general story telling. It didn't redraw one line.

Here you change parts of your world. So these are the first steps in creating changing MMORPG fantasy worlds in relation to what players do (or not do) .

It enhances the STORY telling and experience of the fixed worlds we are used to in old MMORPG's and fixed it certainly was in Runescape.

Of course Blizzard could even go further, but what would you do? Apply everything in an expansion which people on MMORPG.COM don't even consider to try it?

Give me another fantasy MMORPG where the world changes FOR GOOD according to your adventuring?

You can't . The Red shows enough to me.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

In response to this one, I can't add much to my earlier post from a week or so ago:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2467720#2467720.

So WHERE did Runescape changed its zones ? Nada? No way. It didn't even have an impact on the general story telling.

Here you change parts of your world. So these are the first steps in creating changing MMORPG fantasy worlds in relation to what players do (or not do) .

It enhances the STORY telling and experience of the fixed worlds we are used to in old MMORPG's and fixed it certainly was in Runescape.

Of course Blizzard could even go further, but what would you do? Apply everything in an expansion which people on MMORPG.COM don't even consider to try it?

Give me another fantasy MMORPG where the world changes FOR GOOD according to your adventuring?

You can't .

I just told you, Runescape changes not only zones, but specific areas within those zones.

Does Blizzard have areas where you can see specific objects that you yourself have chosen, and still be able to see other players in the same area (who can see their choices instead of yours)?

No, I didn't think so.

If anything, the changes are more "fixed" in WoW. It's not like you have a choice of how the world changes in WoW... either it changes (because you finished the quest) or it doesn't (because you didn't).

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

So WHERE did Runescape changed its zones ? Nada? No way. It didn't even have an impact on the general story telling. It didn't redraw one line.

LOTRO did this, what 2 and a half years ago?  Not a first.

They did it a little differently from LOTRO, but that's not what  you're claiming.  Essentially it is the same thing: Based on story progression, the zone changes.  That's exactly what LOTRO did.

I'm not going to argue that point.  It sounds like it does enhance the storytelling, but again, it is a rip off of something Turbine did years ago.

Most people on MMORPG.COM are disatisfied with all MMORPGs, that's why they're here looking for the next big thing.  This feature, isn't going to make someone come back to play WoW - especially if you have to play 70 levels to get to it. Again, as has been pointed out, repeatedly, this has been done in other games.  Maybe WoW with their $20 million budget for their latest expansion did it more, but that doesn't make them an innovator.  It's a stolen concept, plain and simple, like 98% of WoW's content.

You can't .

LOTRO.  After you complete the starter quests (through level 6), the world is never the same, different NPC's, dfferent quests.

So WHERE did Runescape changed its zones ? Nada? No way. It didn't even have an impact on the general story telling.

You can't .

I just told you, Runescape changes not only zones, but specific areas within those zones.

Does Blizzard have areas where you can see specific objects that you yourself have chosen, and still be able to see other players in the same area (who can see their choices instead of yours)?

No, I didn't think so.

If anything, the changes are more "fixed" in WoW. It's not like you have a choice of how the world changes in WoW... either it changes (because you finished the quest) or it doesn't (because you didn't).

Runescape didn't redraw ONE line of their world that stayed FIXED after doing the quests.

To your question in WotLK: that depends; in some you don't see the players who are in another dimension, on others you see other players, but each see their "world" according to the quest they did or did not.

Like I said already the red says it all.

Originally posted by grimfall

LOTRO did this, what 2 and a half years ago?  Not a first.
    They did it a little differently from LOTRO, but that's not what  you're claiming.  Essentially it is the same thing: Based on story progression, the zone changes.  That's exactly what LOTRO did.
    I'm not going to argue that point.  It sounds like it does enhance the storytelling, but again, it is a rip off of something Turbine did years ago.
    Most people on MMORPG.COM are disatisfied with all MMORPGs, that's why they're here looking for the next big thing.  This feature, isn't going to make someone come back to play WoW - especially if you have to play 70 levels to get to it. Again, as has been pointed out, repeatedly, this has been done in other games.  Maybe WoW with their $20 million budget for their latest expansion did it more, but that doesn't make them an innovator.  It's a stolen concept, plain and simple, like 98% of WoW's content.
    You can't .

LOTRO.  After you complete the starter quests (through level 6), the world is never the same, different NPC's, dfferent quests.

HAHA LOL.

I KNEW it.

Just read my beginning posts.

In LOTRO you had an entry seperate instance, which was completely over when you reached level 5.

It was a seperate adventure line you HAD to do to step into the real MMORPG. Nothing to do with phasing in the form Blizzard is using it (and they use two seperate forms of it).

This is NOT the same technique at all, because Blizzard uses it in game to change the story lines and zones for those who do the quest lines.

I knew it that these guys would come in. Re-read my first post.

"Crazy. Just plain crazy and a first in the MMORPG field, because these world changes are happening in full adventure lines (not at a beginning or intro or not in between a temporarely shifting of a quest)."

LOL

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I am not discounting the cool technology behind phasing, but then making the huge leap in saying that Blizzard now leads the path to future MMOs is overstating it a bit.  I guess this is one of the very few new things Blizzard has brought to MMOs.  They didnt change anything in so much as other titles before it.
    Blizzard has never been about new or innovative ideas with WoW.  For all it's polish, many still say that Blizzard has done more harm than good to the genre.

They've been the leader, since 2004. Where have you been? Love it or hate WoW has influenced every major MMO since its release. Its made two games that game out prior to WoW do complete makeovers(SWG and EQ2). If that's not being a leader I don't know what is.

Blizzard isn't making other devs create carbon copies. Blizz has done tons for the genre. Its brought a huge amount of interest to MMOs. That is a good thing. EA, SOE, Turbine are the ones to blame for trying to create a WoW clone not Blizzard.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

HAHA LOL.

I KNEW it.

In LOTRO you had an entry seperate instance, which was completely over when you reached level 5.

It was a seperate adventure line you HAD to do to step into the real MMORPG. Nohing to do with phasing in the form Blizzard is using it (anfd they use two seperate forms of it).

This is NOT the same technique at all, because Blizzard uses it in game to change the story lines and zones for those who do the quest lines.I knew it that these guys would come in. Re-read my first post.

LOL

I don't know what technology was used, and I seriously doubt you do. What's the difference between the two?  It could be that the 'phasing' simply includes characters 'in phase' and those 'out of phase', couldn't it?

If you stop and think for a moment, you'd probably realize that it doesn't make any sense for two people to be in the same zone at the same time, and have it not appear the same to those same people.  WoW is actually making the game less realistic.  I can imagine the conversations now:

"Talk to this guy here."

"What guy?"

"This guy right here, Orendus"

"All I see is a rabbit"

The point is, that it doesn't offer anything different, than what's already being offered , and it's debateable whether it's an improvement.  The LOTRO implementation makes more sense, maybe Blizzard should have stolen it more accurately.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

If you stop and think for a moment, you'd probably realize that it doesn't make any sense for two people to be in the same zone at the same time, and have it not appear the same to those same people.  WoW is actually making the game less realistic.  I can imagine the conversations now:

You know, when I heard about phasing, this is what I was thinking.

Now, I have no doubt whatsoever phasing is great, makes the game more fun, and all that, and the people who still play WoW are loving.  But a lot of people want an MMO where if you change something in the world, it changeas for everyone, not just you (I hate to bring the S word into this but this is actually a pretty-much agreed on concept for sandbox games).

I think it's good though.  WoW is the AOL of MMOs - recruits noobs by the bucketfulls and gives them a game to play the mainstream won't give them a ration of shit for, and ex-WoW players feed the rest of the MMO market.

Eventually, like AOL, they'll run out of noobs and their business model will implode, but that day's a ways off still.

HAHA LOL.
    I KNEW it.
    It was a seperate adventure line you HAD to do to step into the real MMORPG. Nohing to do with phasing in the form Blizzard is using it (anfd they use two seperate forms of it).
    This is NOT the same technique at all, because Blizzard uses it in game to change the story lines and zones for those who do the quest lines.I knew it that these guys would come in. Re-read my first post.
    LOL

I don't know what technology was used, and I seriously doubt you do. What's the difference between the two?  It could be that the 'phasing' simply includes characters 'in phase' and those 'out of phase', couldn't it?
    "Talk to this guy here."
    "What guy?"
    "All I see is a rabbit"
    The point is, that it doesn't offer anything different, than what's already being offered , and it's debateable whether it's an improvement.  The LOTRO implementation makes more sense, maybe Blizzard should have stolen it more accurately.

If you don't see the power of phasing (the way Blizzard is just beginning to use it), well then good luck.

It is being used to have different world changes.

Story telling. LOTRO was just an intro and made as a seperate instance. This is no seperate instance.

This is something  different and has both influences how zones look and NPC's behave according to the questing lines while doing the quests in mid and end game.

The meaning of this thread is showing that this "phasing" used properly is a giant step forward in future releases and ... people will be getting used to it in upcoming content patches and future would be MMORPG's.

It's a bomb for the fixed world MMO's. Blizzard is hampered by Wow, no doubt about that. Just see what these techniques do in their future MMO.

That's the discussion.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Originally posted by FE|Tachyon

I've said it for years,  Blizzard is the best company doing what they do.   They are the benchmark.  Their product may not be the product for everyone, but they produce the highest quality, and functional MMO, ever.    They don't do EVERYTHING better then everyone else, but they do a lot of things VERY VERY WELL.   I won't return to World of Warcraft,  but I can still agree, that it is a great game.   Blizzards NEXT MMO will be the only WoW killer.   Starcraft MMO anyone?  Ohhh I gotta chubby just thinking about it.

That's funny.  So if their next MMO flops will you eat your words? 

Blizzard is just another company.  They've produced games I like and games I don't.  No company will ever produce solid hits.

Wrong. Tell me a game from Blizzard that has not been a hit. Blizzard isn't just "another company". From my point of view there is : Blizzard and others ...

Sure: Lord of the Rings Vol I release 1992..didnt do too well...

I don't know if u try to be "smart" with that line , but I am not talking about the few games which they made in early '90 . I am talking from the point where they created Warcraft till today. So no, you are not cool and you have no valid points in bashing Blizzard. They are good , very good to be specific. They HAVE the power and knowledge to take MMo's to a higher lvl. I am not saying that other companys can't do that , but Blizzard are in front of them in any way , for now.

You asked me to name a game theye made that wasn't a hit. I did.  Enough said.

I was pointing out before that Blizzard, despite all its current success, is a company like any other.  They may be riding high right now but don't think they're immune to failure.  By believing their Starcraft MMO (if they make one) will be an immediate full out success, a success nothing less than WoW has been simply because Blizzard is developing it is some serious foolish thinking.

True, they have made many successful games, but like any other company, they are not perfect.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

"Talk to this guy here."
    "What guy?"
    "All I see is a rabbit"

So now you can not even play with your friends if you different level but now you have problems if your even in different sections of the same story arc... how is this good?  I see this as more of a step backwards into further making the MMORPG everything but MMO.