Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WotLK; the new MMORPG techniques being used. Blizzard did it again.

Deep within WotLK lays a wonderfull technique that's called "Phasing".

Oh, Blizzard mentioned it a few times, but hey they let the players discover things. Within WotLK is indeed the new MMORPG revolution. Your world is no longer the same as ... my world in Wow 2009.

And for those who think they saw phasing at work in the Sunwell patch (2.4), let me say that compares to the phasing used in WotLK as the first telephone with the new I-Phone.

Those who said, well Blizzard didn't change "the game", well they don't follow up on the used techniques...

In TBC they made a complete 3D world (no longer gates to pass through a zone). Complete calculated 3D worlds to fly over. No wonder everyone who played AoC or War said they had this "imprisoned feeling". These products still used the old 2D/3D bordered world edges.

Now in WotLK Blizzard added phasing in a big way. Let everyone just explore it their way. While it's only being used in the longer questlines (and sometimes being accompanied with cinematics), it shows what is coming to us in the future.

And believe me the professional future of MMO's lay  in the hands of Blizzard. No doubt about it after seeing this applied in WotLK.

Crazy. Just plain crazy and a first in the MMORPG field, because these world changes are happening in full adventure lines (not at a beginning or intro or not in between a temporarely shifting of a quest).

Crazy talk about new MMO's overhere, while Blizzard just applies it in their expansion.

The big compliments go to a company that actually DO things instead of publishing thin air hype.

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I think you're hyping up this expansion way more than it really needs to be.  I tried it and was bored after an hour of play.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by grimal

I think you're hyping up this expansion way more than it really needs to be.

I agree. The phasing thing is a fantastic idea, but it's certainly not Blizzard's idea and they didn't use it nearly as much as they could (and should) have.

• strategystrategy Member Posts: 183

I think you're hyping up this expansion way more than it really needs to be.  I tried it and was bored after an hour of play.

LOL.

I don't care m8. Bored after an hour playing, :) Np. Go ahead and reread what the above means and than compare those "other inventions you all talk about":))

Originally posted by strategy

Crazy. Just plain crazy and a first in the MMORPG field, because these world changes arre happening in full adventure lines (not at a beginning or intro or not in between a temporarely shifting of a quest).

It's absolutely NOT a "first in the MMORPG field."

In Runescape, phasing is used on farming plots so that each plot can be used by every player. You see only the crops that you have planted yourself.

They also have dozens of quests where mobs or objects appear/disappear based on events happening through the storyline (and most of their quests are considerably longer than Blizzard's).

Plus, when they do phasing, you can still see other players and they can still see you, which in some cases means your friends can help you with quests or activities they have already completed.

When Blizzard can allow players to change servers at will (and for free), have phased content that still allows you to see and play with your friends, and use phasing to its full extent (not just where it's convenient for them) then you can talk about "crazy." Right now it's just dabbling with technology.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

Now if ppl like or hate WOW - you can not fault Blizzard for not doing it yet again.  I have been playing from start and this last year has been really hectic real life.  So - I will not be able to play much and I have a very bad connection where Im staying atm but STILL I am able to enjoy it - doing 6-10 quests per night and still develope my character resonably well (IMO). 

First off... I would not even be ABLE to play the competitors games cause just my connection means I simply can't .  Their idea of MASSIVE PVP with my 100K/S is just massive LAG and DC.  But I can stil enjoy WOW.   I want to continue to progress my characters at my own phase even tho 5 hours raiding every night is simply not possible.  And tbh - nothing Im really into anymore.   

Originally posted by Aethios

Crazy. Just plain crazy and a first in the MMORPG field, because these world changes arre happening in full adventure lines (not at a beginning or intro or not in between a temporarely shifting of a quest).

In Runescape, phasing is used on farming plots so that each plot can be used by every player. You see only the crops that you have planted yourself.

They also have dozens of quests where mobs or objects appear/disappear based on events happening through the storyline (and most of their quests are considerably longer than Blizzard's).

Plus, when they do phasing, you can still see other players and they can still see you, which in some cases means your friends can help you with quests or activities they have already completed.

When Blizzard can allow players to change servers at will (and for free), have phased content that still allows you to see and play with your friends, and use phasing to its full extent (not just where it's convenient for them) then you can talk about "crazy." Right now it's just dabbling with technology.

Nope, wrong.

In WotLK complete landscapes change. Not the case with Runescape. You could compare it with the intro first 5 levels in LOTRO, but there it is also an intro to the game really, meaning a complete seperate instance.

Here it is being used to change a complete zone FOR EVER - IN game - depending on the questline and middle in the game. Meaning stories will be uncovered to individual players with complete land reshaping and questgivers.

Of course it is not being massively used, but it is being used and succesfull applied. Where are the Wow killers these days  ;).

Here it is being used to change a complete zone. - IN game - depending on the questline and middle in the game. Meaning stories will be uncovered to individual players with complete land reshaping and questgivers.

A complete zone? Where? I've seen them add buildings and NPCs and even change the color of the terrain or add fire effects and such, but hardly anything as significant as changing the terrain, and especially not the entire zone.

I am not discounting the cool technology behind phasing, but then making the huge leap in saying that Blizzard now leads the path to future MMOs is overstating it a bit.  I guess this is one of the very few new things Blizzard has brought to MMOs.  They didnt change anything in so much as other titles before it.

Blizzard has never been about new or innovative ideas with WoW.  For all it's polish, many still say that Blizzard has done more harm than good to the genre.

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558

I am not discounting the cool technology behind phasing, but then making the huge leap in saying that Blizzard now leads the path to future MMOs is overstating it a bit.  I guess this is one of the very few new things Blizzard has brought to MMOs.  They didnt change anything in so much as other titles before it.
    Blizzard has never been about new or innovative ideas with WoW.  For all it's polish, many still say that Blizzard has done more harm than good to the genre.

yep

Nope, wrong.

In WotLK complete landscapes change. Not the case with Runescape. You could compare it with the intro first 5 levels in LOTRO, but there it is also an intro to the game really, meaning a complete seperate instance.

Here it is being used to change a complete zone FOR EVER - IN game - depending on the questline and middle in the game. Meaning stories will be uncovered to individual players with complete land reshaping and questgivers.

Of course it is not being massively used, but it is being used and succesfull applied. Where are the Wow killers these days  ;).

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't WoW grab so many of it's subscribers from it's existing Battlenet subs?

Here it is being used to change a complete zone. - IN game - depending on the questline and middle in the game. Meaning stories will be uncovered to individual players with complete land reshaping and questgivers.

A complete zone? Where? I've seen them add buildings and NPCs and even change the color of the terrain or add fire effects and such, but hardly anything as significant as changing the terrain, and especially not the entire zone.

I won't do spoilers: I'll give a few hints: Dragonblight. And do please continue the questlines because the follow ups go on.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

But with so much wrong with WOW, is one positive thing worth really crowing about?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

I've said it for years,  Blizzard is the best company doing what they do.   They are the benchmark.  Their product may not be the product for everyone, but they produce the highest quality, and functional MMO, ever.    They don't do EVERYTHING better then everyone else, but they do a lot of things VERY VERY WELL.   I won't return to World of Warcraft,  but I can still agree, that it is a great game.   Blizzards NEXT MMO will be the only WoW killer.   Starcraft MMO anyone?  Ohhh I gotta chubby just thinking about it.

Originally posted by Kyleran

But with so much wrong with WOW, is one positive thing worth really crowing about?

LOL, yep there is so much wrong with this game that no one plays it. :))

Originally posted by FE|Tachyon

I've said it for years,  Blizzard is the best company doing what they do.   They are the benchmark.  Their product may not be the product for everyone, but they produce the highest quality, and functional MMO, ever.    They don't do EVERYTHING better then everyone else, but they do a lot of things VERY VERY WELL.   I won't return to World of Warcraft,  but I can still agree, that it is a great game.   Blizzards NEXT MMO will be the only WoW killer.   Starcraft MMO anyone?  Ohhh I gotta chubby just thinking about it.

I agree.

That's why I post this topic. I think the next MMO from them will use these techniques in a big way and then all will say: what crap were we playing these last few years.

Therefore it's good to follow up the new techniques being used and see what they are up to.(the real 3D bounderies in TBC, the phasing worlds in WotLK).

Nothing more nothing less.

Wow.  It's like your arguing McDonalds is leading the way because they have a dollar menu....

Commercial success /= great game.

That's funny.  So if their next MMO flops will you eat your words? 

Blizzard is just another company.  They've produced games I like and games I don't.  No company will ever produce solid hits.

Wow.  It's like your arguing McDonalds is leading the way because they have a dollar menu....

Comparing the MMORPG industry with a food chain is unintelligent and you are in good company with that statement: the EX director of FunCon, grtz for that :)). Apparently he also thought he was a director of a food chain instead of delivering a good MMORPG.

Comparing the MMORPG industry with a food chain is unintelligent and you are in good company with that statement: the EX director of FunCon, grtz for that :)). Apparently he also thought he was a director of a food chain instead of delivering a good MMORPG.

And arguing WoW is the be-all-end-all MMO because of "phasing" is moronic.

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

Deep within WotLK lays a wonderfull technique that's called "Phasing".
    Oh, Blizzard mentioned it a few times, but hey they let the players discover things. Within WotLK is indeed the new MMORPG revolution. Your world is no longer the same as ... my world in Wow 2009.
    And for those who think they saw phasing at work in the Sunwell patch (2.4), let me say that compares to the phasing used in WotLK as the first telephone with the new I-Phone.
    Those who said, well Blizzard didn't change "the game", well they don't follow up on the used techniques...
    In TBC they made a complete 3D world (no longer gates to pass through a zone). Complete calculated 3D worlds to fly over. No wonder everyone who played AoC or War said they had this "imprisoned feeling". These products still used the old 2D/3D bordered world edges.
    Now in WotLK Blizzard added phasing in a big way. Let everyone just explore it their way. While it's only being used in the longer questlines (and sometimes being accompanied with cinematics), it shows what is coming to us in the future.
    And believe me the professional future of MMO's lay  in the hands of Blizzard. No doubt about it after seeing this applied in WotLK.
    Crazy talk about new MMO's overhere, while Blizzard just applies it in their expansion.
    The big compliments go to a company that actually DO things instead of publishing thin air hype.

What a load of rubbish.  WoW hasn't brought a SINGLE new idea to MMO's.  All it has done is made the genre accessible to idiots.

And arguing WoW is the be-all-end-all MMO because of "phasing" is moronic.

Those who don't see this feature and recognise the meaning of it, well I guess they don't see the reasons either why Blizzard has the market in its grip.

Those people like you didn't hink much of the 3D rendering being used in TBC either, did they.... until other MMO's wanted to grab the money in closed up worlds and for "one reason or another" didn't really make it in rendering a believable 3D world unless you think a close up world where you can't move over is "it".

Just one hint: changing landscapes and worlds according to the adventures you are in, in say an MMO called World of X ", ... ding  ding ...?

Not seen before but we're heading in that direction. No doubt about that. So instead of creating one huge world, they will have to create dozens of different zones/worlds outcomes.

As the competition didn't even arrive at creating ONE believable world these past 15 months....

I think WoW is this OP's first MMO (he's only 18)...

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Blizzard is just another company.  They've produced games I like and games I don't.  No company will ever produce solid hits.

Wrong. Tell me a game from Blizzard that has not been a hit. Blizzard isn't just "another company". From my point of view there is : Blizzard and others ...

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Originally posted by Spaceweed10

What a load of rubbish.  WoW hasn't brought a SINGLE new idea to MMO's.  All it has done is made the genre accessible to idiots.

What rubbish.

let's see:

Bind on account gear. Check

Daily (rotating) quests in heroic Dungeons with gear badge drops. Check

Daily PVP Quests both in open world and BG's: Check

Daily Professional quests : check

Man equiped tanks (with passengers) and Aie equipment: check

Changing worlds according to the adventure the player is doing: : check

Complete lands you fly over with personal mounts with no loading screens : check.

Forgot some other dozens features I guess (o yes : what about personal crafted flying carpets, well if that counts... add another 500 new features unique to Wow).

Love these Wow haters btw. They don't see anything these days in ignoring  it.

Originally posted by IceAge

Wrong. Tell me a game from Blizzard that has not been a hit. Blizzard isn't just "another company". From my point of view there is : Blizzard and others ...

Sure: Lord of the Rings Vol I release 1992..didnt do too well...