Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need something new...

MatrixClawMatrixClaw Member Posts: 5

I quit playing Everquest about two years ago after my server's population (Firiona Vie) got way too low.  At the time, I was waiting ~3 hours for a group and couldn't solo anything worth killing (I played a Warrior and Beastlord).

At the end, I was a pretty hard-core raider and the "tank leader" of my guild, which was number 3 on the server.  However, since the population was so low I never got groups to grind out new levels and AAs, which got really frustrating and I ended up paying $20 a month to just sit around and do nothing.

I tried switching to Guild Wars since it was free.  I enjoyed the beginning part of it until you teleported out of that stage, in which case I lost interest fast.

I've been playing WoW on the private servers a lot lately as I HATED how the game relies so much on quests to level, I enjoyed grinding in Everquest, as long as their was content to solo or groups to join, WoW almost discourages grouping, but with the private servers it's a lot more fun for me, even if I level quite a bit faster.  However, I don't see myself paying for a game like it.

I tried EQ2 at beta and wasn't too impressed to be honest, maybe it's changed now, but if it's still the same as before, I'm not really interested.

I'd prefer something that can be played for free, but I'm willing to pay, that's no problem as long as it's good.

Everquest was perfect for me, if it had the same population it did when I started playing, I would undoubtably still be playing it.

Any suggestions?

Here's a basic run-down of what I want for those who don't want to read the whole thing, it needs:

*Good amount of population for grouping

*Solo content

*Non-reliant on groups or soloing, good balance of both, able to level either way without one offering much less experience

*Good end-game content that isn't so overpowered compared to what non-raiders would have

*Good graphics prefered, WoW's characters are kinda stupid looking imo, don't really care about the world itself :P

*Preferably free to play - Whether on the actual game or on private servers, ala WoW.

*Non-slow leveling.  I don't mind a challenge, but I don't want something that's going to take me 6 months to level to the max on.  I'll probably play, max, 3 hours a day.

*Roleplaying would be cool too, I always enjoyed it when I started playing EQ, but then it died when WoW and EQ2 came out.

Comments

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

It's still in beta, but I suggest checking out Runes of Magic. It will be F2P, but if you don't like that I suggest Aion. Aion will be P2P when it comes out though. You're looking for a well balanced game with end game content and the majority of F2P games don't have either.

• MatrixClawMatrixClaw Member Posts: 5

I have Runes of Magic downloading right now, Aion looks really cool too!

As far as the content goes, I guess the balanced part is the most important, I don't *need* to have a lot of end-game content as I probably won't be reaching it any time soon anyway.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Heh the OPs MMO career sounds alot like mine!! I played on FV for almost 5 years before leaving....I also tried EQ2 a nd got bored and have played on WoW private servers also.....Ive tried a few of the F2P MMos and right now I am enjoying Atlantica online....Its a totally different style of game from WoW/EQ and to me its a fresh breath of air.......Dont let the turn based gameplay scare you away it is fast paced and combat is really enjoyable for the most part......The game does have a main quest line with some side quests but it isnt overburdening like WoW and LoTRO were.......Like yourself I started in EQ and liked that style of play more than the quest driven games.......

Oh yeah? What was your character's name on FV?

Mine were Mirrage, Razzy and Medri.

Basically I'm looking for something almost exactly like EQ1, just updated and with a higher population.

No luck? :(

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

Minions of Mirth is said to be somewhat similar to EQ, but I don't think you will find any game that will be almost exactly like EQ. Mostly games today are being made for the casual or pvp gamer.

This is also just a random suggesiton, but check out 4Story.

Originally posted by spinach8puff

Minions of Mirth is said to be somewhat similar to EQ, but I don't think you will find any game that will be almost exactly like EQ. Mostly games today are being made for the casual or pvp gamer.
    This is also just a random suggesiton, but check out 4Story.

Interesting!  I'll check em both out! ;)

Minions of Mirth looks VERY similar just looking at screenshots.  Thanks!!