Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Military gay ban to end as troops leave Iraq

All I can say about this is that it's about time.  And I cannot wait to see it work out for the better just like it has in other countries.  Well, actually just like it has where all of these restrictive policies have been lifted wherever they have been.  The overall effect of getting rid of these types of policies always turns out to be positive despite the naysayers leading into the changes.  Thank God this world is changing for the better in some areas.

Military gay ban to end as troops leave Iraq

President Elect Barack Obama has confirmed he hopes to end the controversial "Don't Ask - Don't Tell" policy which effectively bans Lesbians and Gay Men from disclosing their sexuality whilst serving in the Armed Forces. Although he has remained committed to repealing the ban for many years his team has confirmed that as yet "no decisions had been made about the strategy or timing" however openly gay congressman Barney Frank has made clear that the ban is likely to be lifted once U.S troops finally pull out of Iraq, now scheduled for sometime in early 2010.

Obama's team has reaffirmed it's commitment to removing the policy in place since 1993 which states prohibits anyone who "demonstrates a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts" from serving in the US Armed Forces."

--------------------------------------
image image

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
  • upallnightupallnight Member Posts: 1,154
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Why this is a bad idea.

Seven?  

That's a nice round number.  I would expect it to be more like 6.89 or something.  lol. 

--------------------------------------
    image image

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Hell, have a gay guy in your unit, I expect them to go rambo if a team member goes down.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Hell, have a gay guy in your unit, I expect them to go rambo if a team member goes down.

Is that in front of or behind enemy lines?

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I'm all for it. To be fair Clinton wanted to be the one to start an open policy but because of pressure from both the left and right in congress the best he could squeeze through was DADT.

I hope this has the added benefit of lending strength to the fight for Gay Marriage. The whole: "I can fight and die for your freedom but can't have any of my own" arguement. heh 

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

About freakin time.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    Originally posted by Briansho

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Is that in front of or behind enemy lines?

What if I say both?

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Personally I have an issue with it (as an active duty military member) and I will tell you why. 

In a lot of places and instances we share showers.  It isn't fair if a gay individual gets to see things he likes and I can't .

So COED Showers for all.

Obviously I have no major issues with it.  I really could care less what someone sexuality is.  I just wish people would keep it in the bedroom and not be so obnoxious about it sometimes.  (and this goes both ways.  I don't want to hear about how you think that pilot has a nice ass and what you want to do with her.  Anymore then I want to see some guy wearing a tiara and a feather boa like I did at Disney world). 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

As others have said, about freaking time.

If the military is as professional as they claim to be, sexual orientation should not be an issue.

This has been my position since I served myself.  There's a pretty clear line on behavior that orientation has nothing to do with.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Cabe2323

Personally I have an issue with it (as an active duty military member) and I will tell you why. 

In a lot of places and instances we share showers.  It isn't fair if a gay individual gets to see things he likes and I can't .

So COED Showers for all.

Obviously I have no major issues with it.  I really could care less what someone sexuality is.  I just wish people would keep it in the bedroom and not be so obnoxious about it sometimes.  (and this goes both ways.  I don't want to hear about how you think that pilot has a nice ass and what you want to do with her.  Anymore then I want to see some guy wearing a tiara and a feather boa like I did at Disney world). 

I agree.  Most other NATO countries allow gays to serve without many problems.  Being in the Canadian military (which has allowed gays to serve for years) myself since 1994, I haven't run across any problems and don't know of anyone else who has either.  Theres many more issues and problems relating to hetrosexuals than homosexuals. 

If people are allowed to be open and honest about who they are, then there isn't any security risks, which is one of the main reasons given for banning gays (because it was felt they could be blackmailed into betraying their country with the threat of outing them).  The US military shouldn't be kicking people out because they're gay seeing as how they're running into major problems keeping their numbers high enough to remain effective.  Of course, the US seems have many more Jesus freaks than other NATO/western militarys so that might cause a problem.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Originally posted by Cabe2323

So COED Showers for all.

I agree.  Most other NATO countries allow gays to serve without many problems.  Being in the Canadian military (which has allowed gays to serve for years) myself since 1994, I haven't run across any problems and don't know of anyone else who has either.  Theres many more issues and problems relating to hetrosexuals than homosexuals. 

If people are allowed to be open and honest about who they are, then there isn't any security risks, which is one of the main reasons given for banning gays (because it was felt they could be blackmailed into betraying their country with the threat of outing them).  The US military shouldn't be kicking people out because they're gay seeing as how they're running into major problems keeping their numbers high enough to remain effective.  Of course, the US seems have many more Jesus freaks than other NATO/western militarys so that might cause a problem.

All discrimination against gays comes from religion. So yeah, the Jesus freaks could be a problem.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

There should be segregation between heterosexuals and homosexuals in the same way that women in men are in the military.

If the military does honestly believe that the sexual attractions between people means naught, then gender should cause no issue either.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Well, we always used to joke that the only thing that would change in the Navy was an extra bathroom. There'd be the "male" head, the "female" head and the "I like giving" head. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

Seriously though, the attitude within the military is downright murderous toward homosexuals. I foresee a lot of fatal "accidents" occuring if homosexuals in the military come out of the closet.

Let me put this into perspective. Just before I went into service in the early 90's,  a young man stationed in Hawaii was being processed out for homosexuality and was murdered. Two sailors followed him into a mens  room and beat his head against the base of a urinal until he died. What's of note about this is that the Navy has a same day policy for processing out homosexuals. For the individual's safety, their paperwork is to be processed and the person is to off the base and on their way home within 24 hours. The captain of the USS Honalulu took over a week to process this man out. They were still dragging out the paper work when he died.

The military is a fraternal organization. Someone can be a guilty as a cat on a goldfish bowl, but if the brotherhood closes up ranks, someone else will take the fall. The two sailors that actually did the killing went to the brigg and no one in the media mentioned the deliberate slowness of the brass.

I'm not against gays in the military for any bullshit religious reason. I'm not against it because I don't think they can fight. I'm against it because friendly fire normally isn't friendly at all.