Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Does Coffee Make You Feel

I don't think coffee does the same kind of things to me that it does to most people.  When I drink it, I sort of get a weird feeling that isn't really all that good.

I begin to feel like my memory is all of about 2 seconds long.  Like sometimes when I drink a couple of cups I'll be talking and then mid sentence forget what I was even talking about.  And it makes me feel sort of like the muscles in the back of my arms are all tense and irritable like.  And I'm not sure if it makes me anxious, well I kind of think it does, but I do feel sort of withdrawn and don't want to talk to people too much.

I see people drink it every morning, and it smells sooo good to me.  So occasionally I give in and have a cup.  I know what you're going to say, why not have decaf, but a lot of the job sites I go on don't have it there.  So, I will break down and have a cup and for about 3-4 hours after that I regret it.  Bleh.

People sure like their Starbucks though.  So I often wonder, does it make mostly all people feel good, or is there a pretty big group of people like me who it doesn't do such kind things to?

===============================

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I was never able to get past the terrible taste to find out.  Two sips and it goes down the drain.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I rarely drink coffee.  When I do it's usually early in the morning when I'm really sleepy or in the afternoon when I need a second wind and that's usually few and far between.  I feel a bit of a pick me up type of sensation but it doesn't last very long.  I get a sort of crash afterwards so I generally try not to drink it.

Same with alcohol.  My buzz doesn't last.  It wares off a lot faster then all of my friends and gives me a messed up feeling all over.  Since I've figured this out I've mostly stopped drinking as well.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
    Originally posted by Illius

I rarely drink coffee.  When I do it's usually early in the morning when I'm really sleepy or in the afternoon when I need a second wind and that's usually few and far between.  I feel a bit of a pick me up type of sensation but it doesn't last very long.  I get a sort of crash afterwards so I generally try not to drink it.
    Same with alcohol.  My buzz doesn't last.  It wares off a lot faster then all of my friends and gives me a messed up feeling all over.  Since I've figured this out I've mostly stopped drinking as well.

GASP!!!!! 

No alcohol?  You gotta keep that buzz.  You're supposed to keep drinking.  Here's what I do, I take a couple of shots of something pretty strong to get the woohoo in the bloodstream.  Then, I sip on beers the rest of the night or maybe sip on some moderately strong rum and cokes.  That keeps the brain nicely awash in the wonderful bliss of intoxication.  However, do not stop drinking and let your buzz go away before you go to sleep.  This is a no no, it will give you a smashing headache.

Then, before I go to bed I take an Alka-Seltzer drink and most of the time I wake up feeling decent enough to do what I have to do the next day.  Then, if I feel like it the next night, I repeat the process.  lol.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I love Love LOVE coffee.  I don't get the strange side effects that you get but it can make me jittery if I have too much.  I do buy organic beans (no preservatives) and I have one of those coffee maker/grinders so it's always nice and fresh. I have one or two cups in the morning and that's it.  My husband will usually drink the rest of the pot. Every now and then, I'll make a small pot after dinner.  Actually, I can't remember the last time I even did that.

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

Coffee gives me diarrhea/cramps anyway. I hate it.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by gnomexxx

GASP!!!!! 
    No alcohol?  You gotta keep that buzz.  You're supposed to keep drinking.  Here's what I do, I take a couple of shots of something pretty strong to get the woohoo in the bloodstream.  Then, I sip on beers the rest of the night or maybe sip on some moderately strong rum and cokes.  That keeps the brain nicely awash in the wonderful bliss of intoxication.  However, do not stop drinking and let your buzz go away before you go to sleep.  This is a no no, it will give you a smashing headache.
    Then, before I go to bed I take an Alka-Seltzer drink and most of the time I wake up feeling decent enough to do what I have to do the next day.  Then, if I feel like it the next night, I repeat the process.  lol.

I can drink as long as most of my friends, drink the same thing for the same duration and afterward my buzz leaves me faster then them.  There's more to the whole me not drinking then this.  I just rather do other things.

Thread derailed!

I've had about 3 cups of coffee when I was up for 30+ hours and it put me in a weird state of super tired but unable to fall asleep.  Quite annoying I must say.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by Illius

GASP!!!!! 

I can drink as long as most of my friends, drink the same thing for the same duration and afterward my buzz leaves me faster then them.  There's more to the whole me not drinking then this.  I just rather do other things.

Thread derailed!

I've had about 3 cups of coffee when I was up for 30+ hours and it put me in a weird state of super tired but unable to fall asleep.  Quite annoying I must say.

Caffeine + Sleeping pills does the same thing.

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

Gawd I LOVE coffee. of course, I've been drinking it so long that caffeine barely effects me now. I think it's more of a ritual to drink it every morning at this point.

But I LOVE the stuff. 

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Makes me have to poop.

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Sheista

Makes me have to poop.

when you're my age, that's a good thing. 

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

When you're my age, and have a disease that centers around the colon, it's not.  :(

I miss coffee.  I can drink it, but it wreaks havoc on my body.

• impaktoimpakto Member Posts: 314

coffee makes me feel hyper.. hahah most effective when i smoke while drinking coffee hahah.. i do this every morning and has been a habit, sometimes this doesnt work though hahaha maybe im immune to coffee hahaha

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I drink it once in a while. I'm a lightweight when it comes to caffeine. I drink  a coffee and I'm buzzed for the rest of the day. Whats the old saying about alcohol and liquor? Beer before liqour never sicker, liquor before beer you in the clear.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
    Originally posted by Briansho

I drink it once in a while. I'm a lightweight when it comes to caffeine. I drink  a coffee and I'm buzzed for the rest of the day. Whats the old saying about alcohol and liquor? Beer before liqour never sicker, liquor before beer you in the clear.

Yeah, but is it a good buzz?  I get that buzz too, but it's almost like my brain is going so fast that my thoughts just get caught in a loop or something.  I honestly think it makes my IQ drop because of the effects.

I read an article that said people drink it to improve their memory and performance.  That's why it confuses me.  Is my brain wired all whacky, or I wonder if it has something to do with over stimulation of the adrenal glands or anything along those lines.

Any doctors on the boards?   lol.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by Briansho

Yeah, but is it a good buzz?  I get that buzz too, but it's almost like my brain is going so fast that my thoughts just get caught in a loop or something.  I honestly think it makes my IQ drop because of the effects.

I read an article that said people drink it to improve their memory and performance.  That's why it confuses me.  Is my brain wired all whacky, or I wonder if it has something to do with over stimulation of the adrenal glands or anything along those lines.

Any doctors on the boards?   lol.

Its a weird buzz. I'm wired but I have this weird cold sweat on the back of my neck for a few hours and I'm slightly more irritated by stuff. This is probably why I don't drink coffee or caffienated soda too often! I prefer alcohol for its more mellow effects.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• 701kill701kill Member Posts: 106

I don't really feel anything from coffee. If I consume an assload I'll get sleepless/restless (which can be expected of anyone), but other than that, I feel as if i just had a hot, delicious (sometimes) drink.

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

I really love coffee but only have one cup a day. What a cup though.

Hand ground arabica beans in a stove top espresso (10 cup) divided between two pre-warmed mugs, one for my wife and one for me. lengthen with hot water and cold milk to taste.

Some things to know about caffeine is that it is mildly addictive, you get physical tolerance and also it is widely used as a bittering agent especially in the USA.

The upshot of which is if you have it daily, the side effects will decrease but if you fail to have a dose you will have another side effect (i get headaches if i miss my coffee) and you will notice a strong caffeine effect if you are having it on top of some from elsewhere in your diet.

Do you have caffeine from other sources, cola, energy drinks? does it make you feel the same way?

If i have another strong coffee or more during the day, i get the sort of symptoms that you describe.

Also if you are an excitable person, then caffeine interacts with adrenalin, this may explain why you get a stronger response to coffee.

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Very attentive and focused, even if i'm tired. Then a few hours later, crash and headaches.

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Coffee is great with a cigarette.. only time I ever drink it is when I go to starbucks to sit outside and talk with friends.

• shurishuri Member Posts: 10

yeah coffee makes me poop too