Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a game where I can have a pet.

MagsatoMagsato Member Posts: 230

Alright so let me start off. I have always played a pet class, a caster style pet class. From EQ, to WoW, to the "demon"ologist of AoC.

Right now I am looking for a good game to play. I have played most of the big current MMOs: WoW, AoC, WAR, etc.

I really am not a fan of F2P games, I prefer something with some sort of serious financial backing. So I am mainly looking into LOTR, DDO, Vangaurd, perhaps even SWG. I also prefer games with decent PvP, and from what I hear LOTRO uses some strange form of PvP where you cant playyour character.

Anyhow does anyone have any good ideas for new games I should check out or perhaps some older ones that may have gotten better since I left(im looking at you AoC)...

Comments

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

Well I know Vanguard, and if you like pvp then Vanguard doesn't really have that backing, great pve game tho, I'm not to sure about pet classes in Vanguard tho, there was a necro class that I think has minions, not to sure I was a DK so can't tell you much about that class. But I can say Vanguard is one of the best for pve, and they have  the 14 day trial now too :D.

For the rest, I've played SWG, never really got into the game pre nge and after, I like exploring but I don't like barren lands for miles and thats how it felt for me, I know a lot of people seem to be going back as they all gave us a month free trial, played for a day and then realised I can't stand the game lol.

Good luck in your search tho :D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

In AoCs case, wait until OT common district i up, lvl 75+ still sucks.

Why not try Guildwars? Quite fun game (without monthly fees) and the ranger there is fun to play The PvP there is more Arenastyle ('cept some scenarios/BGs in factions).

You might also take a look on EQ2, it have many pet classes and decent backing. Free trial there at least.

• MagsatoMagsato Member Posts: 230

Ya know I never even thought about EQ2, and I played the hell out of EQ.

Heh, I think ill check that out.

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

LotR - Pet class = Lore-Master and here's a write up on it's unique pvp over at the VN Boards

D&DO - There are no pet classes, but you can get a hireling. Info on hirelings found HERE. PvP in this game is limited to tavern brawling areas and in PvP dedicated instances.

Vanguard - Shamans and Necromancers are the pet classes. Class description found HERE. The Pvp in Vanguard can be found in THIS article here on mmorpg.com.

SWG - Beast Master is the pet class. The types of pvp SWG offers can be found HERE.

EQ2 - Conjurers and Necromancers are the strongest pet classes. Class descriptions can be found HERE. Pvp info found HERE.

FFXI - After level 30 you complete a quest for an extra job. Dragoon, summoner, and beast master can have pets. Detailed info on them can be found HERE. Pvp info can also be found at that link.

You can pick which you like. AoC has improved in my opinion, but it all depends what made you quit in the first place.

Edit: Had to fix a link.

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I know you're not a fan of F2P games but if you don't mind Point & Click (which you may) Rappelz is actually based around pets. In the game, you will see little to no one who isn't roaming the plains without a pet. PvP isn't the most amazing, and gpotato doesn't exactly have the highest reputation but.... It does have pets! xD

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• NearGodNearGod Member Posts: 23

I would suggest Guild Wars Factoins. you can make a Ritualist which controls spirits and that is the only GW game that has that class. You can also make a Necromancer and in factions you can get a skill that lets you create the strongest minion in the game I do not know if you would like this but if you wan tto control things and have them kill for you definitly check it out.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Here is an interesting question for you all veterans : Which MMO has the best pet system?

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353

What are you looking for in your pets? CoX offers a couple different varieties.

For the heroes, there are Controller pets: Fire Imps, Dark Servant, Singularity, Phantasm, Phantom Army. I've never actually played a Controller with these powers, but I've been with them on teams and fought against them in pvp. They are part of larger powersets and can only be summoned upon reaching a certain level. They mostly serve to damage or distract your enemies. Fire Imps are one of the most powerful (and most popular) pets.

Villains actually have what the others here are referring to as a "pet class": MasterMinds. As a MasterMind, you're able to summon a minion from the very beginning. As you level up, you're able to summon more and different minions. You're also able to choose what kind of minions you want - robots, ninjas, zombies, etc. - but you're stuck with that same type of minion for the rest of your toon's life. In other words, you can't mix and match - all robots or all thugs or all zombies, not robots and thugs and zombies. Each type of minion has different abilities and specialties.

For a little more info, check out this website: http://www.cityofheroes.com/game_info/archetypes/villain_archetypes.html. MasterMinds are at the top of the list. You might also want to check out the official hero and villain manuals: http://www.cityofheroes.com/game_info/official_guides/official_guides_overview.html.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.