Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively.com: how DCU will go beyond quest givers

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

part 1

www.massively.com/2008/10/10/massively-in-metropolis-dc-universe-online-goes-beyond-questing/

Excerpt:

Your average experience in a massively multiplayer game right now involves seeking out quests - essentially 'todo lists' - from characters a story-centric quest hub somewhere in the game world.

In DCUO, the goal is to let players do what they want to do with the time they have in-game. To that end, the designers are seeking to push content on players, rather than make players seek them out with their precious game time.

Calling them 'encounters' rather than quests, these experiences are totally changeable based on developer intentions, and local conditions.

DCUO offers traditional questing as well, with well-known quest givers and amazing quest content ... but they're definitely seeking something new in encounters.

part 2

www.massively.com/2008/10/10/dcuo-goes-beyond-questing-pt-2/

Comments

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,518

Sounds like Public Quests in WAR. 

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715
    Originally posted by achesoma

Sounds like Public Quests in WAR. 

Not even close.  Public Quest in War are Static Boring rinse and repeat deals....what I saw when I played the Alpha demo can only be described as some of the most dynamic mind blowing content I have ever seen.....I kept hearing "Those can't be NPC's they gotta be controlled"  The only thing that  was slightly irritating to me was there is so much going on in the streets that you have a hard time focusing, and I'm not talking about the same Mugging script over and over like CoH I'm talking about a living breathing city of NPC's.  I think folks are going to be blown away, and I think SOE needs to add this AI to thier other games and fast.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Hey Todeswulf, did you have a chance to see the character creator at all? I am just wondering if they are going to have as many options as CoH or Champions. What I've seen hasn't really impressed me as all the differences between created characters has been tight designs. If they have a good character creator this may be the game I play rather than Champs.