Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8800 Ultra or 2 9600gt video cards?

tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

well i have a simple question .... what should i use a 8800 ultra or 2 9600gt's? I am not really video card savvy, all i look at really is the processor speed and how much MB or GB it has. But alot of people still seem to recommend 8800 cards.

Playing: EVE Online
Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Comments

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528

neither, get 1 280.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by heremypet

neither, get 1 280.

i'm not looking to buy. What i meant was that i have 2 9600gt's and 1 8800 ultra. I thought that the 9600gt's were an upgrade but lately ive been second guessing my choice. Either way im giving what i dont use to my brother as part of a christmas present.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/Sum-of-FPS-Benchmarks-Totals,795.html

As you can see, the SLI 9600 cards to give a litle boost over the 8800 Ultra cards in crysis and other games with support for SLI. On the other hand it is a lot worse in games that don't support it.

As far as I know, no MMO actually supports it. Check if you play supported games most or not.

I would probably go for the ultra card, I play few FPS games and most other don't support SLI.

But check the chart yourself, it is very helpful, at least more than guessing

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

I've only had troubles with my 2x nvidia 9600 GT, so I switched to ATI. :o I think I'll stay with ATI from now on.

Cheers.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Loke666

www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/Sum-of-FPS-Benchmarks-Totals,795.html
    As you can see, the SLI 9600 cards to give a litle boost over the 8800 Ultra cards in crysis and other games with support for SLI. On the other hand it is a lot worse in games that don't support it.
    As far as I know, no MMO actually supports it. Check if you play supported games most or not.
    I would probably go for the ultra card, I play few FPS games and most other don't support SLI.
    But check the chart yourself, it is very helpful, at least more than guessing

thanks the chart was very helpful. I think i might go back to the 8800 ultra

Originally posted by Bumer/goga

I've only had troubles with my 2x nvidia 9600 GT, so I switched to ATI. :o I think I'll stay with ATI from now on.

Cheers.

problems? What problems?

• jamesd129jamesd129 Member Posts: 93

Just wondering, how do you know when a game supports SLI? I never know where to look to find that out.

• wouldn't 2 9600gt's be an overkill? plus as the other guys have said, only a few games support sli cards.. that means it's too early for the 9600gt's presence right now.. so stick with the 8800 ultra, and wait for the gt's price to go lower at the same time

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

im fairly certain the dual 9600's will perform considerably better with most software.  Check Tom's hardware guide.. see if these two options are on their latest video card benchmark results.

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Swiftblade13

im fairly certain the dual 9600's will perform considerably better with most software.  Check Tom's hardware guide.. see if these two options are on their latest video card benchmark results.

No they wouldn't. They will perform slightly better in FPS games but no MMO I ever seen have support for SLI.

So: If you only play FPS, consider the 2 cards otherwise is the Ultra card better.

Also the big difference between those 2 choices are small even when they are working as the should in a supported game, it just isn't worth it.