Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Feedback

I realize I and many people have sent feedback regarding "Origins" server, but we really want anything. Honestly even though you said you got great response regarding this server, I don t think you realize how big it could be. MMOs today are well IMO garbage. What DAOC had in the OF days and no TOA was magical. People want to know whats going on. We all just want a sign, anything, i think this isn t too much to ask. We as the real MMO players want our one true love back and thats DAOC in it s original form. No need to mess with it, make it a little different, just what it once was. I play MMO s with my wife and she loves DAOC, but never once played it as it was in it s original form. All she saw of it was watching me from time to time as she was playing a different MMO. She couldn t beleive how into it i was. I want her to see why i was so into it. Please Mythic, give us, your true fans this great game back.

Customer for many years, and want to be again.

Comments

• scotczechscotczech Member Posts: 133

Reminds me of the EQ1 situation, they ignore that plea too.

I for one would go back if classic server launches on any of the 2 games to be honest.

EQ1 would in my opinion inundated with players, but SOE are shitheads, bloody awful company.

DAOC was only game where I enjoyed the PvP, I hope this classic server happens mate.

Cmon the Albs!!!!!!

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by scotczech

I for one would go back if classic server launches on any of the 2 games to be honest.
    EQ1 would in my opinion inundated with players, but SOE are shitheads, bloody awful company.
    DAOC was only game where I enjoyed the PvP, I hope this classic server happens mate.
    Cmon the Albs!!!!!!

Mids forever :) Albs are my bane!!!!

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Cmon the Albs!!!!!!

Death to the albs! Slow, painful and preferably at the hands of my Midgard characters!

Don't let this discourage you from playing.  It's no fun if there's nobody to fight.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• lolhahahalolhahaha Member Posts: 48

What is sad is that it would be so easy for 1 person at Mythic to just load up the last version of the game before TOA was released and dedicate a server to it.

I guarantee that with as how bored everyone is with all the WOW clones out there they'd get more players than they did when they released the so called "Classic" servers a few years ago.

But see, right now that would be embarrassing to them. The fact that their new game can't get population on almost all of its servers but they can re-release a 7 year old game and instantly have at least 3-4 full servers just doesn't look good.

They just don't have any idea how many people would play it. I mean, most guilds on the servers I played on stopped playing not long after, nobody wanted to make alts, playing that one class was all that was viable in RVR and the grind for all of your alts was impossible. Then NF just made it worse in many ways. 

But just think how many people they could get to try it. Most of those who quit are either playing WOW, EQ2, or some other game they've been bored with for years. Most of them have probably even came back to DAOC for a month or 2 to see if its worth playing now but they all want it the way it was in 2002-2003. Don't forget that all of those players also now have tons of friends in these other games who have never tried DAOC but would follow them over if this ever happened.

That's why I don't think anyone has any idea how many would play it. I just know for a fact that they'd at a minimum get 3+ servers with 3000+ population for a while. Even the classic servers held 2000+ for a year until people got tired of it. Probably the OP Vamps, or Valkaries, or Maulers. But Pre TOA was even after they nerfed Chanters and Savages and Infs too I think. So what class would be op that they'd need to balance?

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

It is not as simple as just setting up a new server and leave out some things.  There have been so many changes than many things need to be changed.  There are all of the items that have updated versions over the years that need to be put back.

Add on to that, the last time they gave any info, they were making a few changes to OF.  They were going to put towers in, but not in the same way as NF.  There is also a debate of how to do keeps.  Is it like OF, NF, or the latest version? 

I want origins, but I think they are busy sucking up all of the WAR money :(

• lolhahahalolhahaha Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by JulianDracos

It is not as simple as just setting up a new server and leave out some things.  There have been so many changes than many things need to be changed.  There are all of the items that have updated versions over the years that need to be put back.
    Add on to that, the last time they gave any info, they were making a few changes to OF.  They were going to put towers in, but not in the same way as NF.  There is also a debate of how to do keeps.  Is it like OF, NF, or the latest version? 

Every company saves a last good working copy and I wouldn't be surprised if Mythic has a version saved from before every major patch they have ever released. They had to have made these things. Did they just throw them away?

No, they just don't want to release it. Just throw out 1.65 from Oct 2003. I know they have that whole thing saved somewhere. What if something went wrong and they had to roll it back? They've done this before therefore they do make these backups.

• AragrinAragrin Member Posts: 5

I too would come back to DAoC in a heartbeat if they brought back the old frontiers or heck even came out with the"Origins" server they suggested months back. Alas, I agree that they are too busy allocating all their resources to Warhammer. DAoC has been tossed aside and like you , believe that it would , if restored, would draw most of the fan base back as well as bring new ones with them. At one time I had 4 accounts on DAoc, liked to try all the classes on all the realms, but closed them down one by one the last 2 mainly because after Warhammer came out the servers were desolate and there was hardly anyone to fight/kill. I miss DAoC terribly and would jump at the chance to play again if the population was there. Meanwhile I guess I will just have to wait for Darkfall and hope it too does not disappoint!

• EliagoEliago Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by lolhahaha

Originally posted by JulianDracos

Every company saves a last good working copy and I wouldn't be surprised if Mythic has a version saved from before every major patch they have ever released. They had to have made these things. Did they just throw them away?

No, they just don't want to release it. Just throw out 1.65 from Oct 2003. I know they have that whole thing saved somewhere. What if something went wrong and they had to roll it back? They've done this before therefore they do make these backups.

Pretty sure it's not that easy. If it's like EQ, then the vast majority of the data is pulled from a central databse. For example, change stats on one weapon, it's changed across all servers. Of course none of us know exactly the technology behind DAOC, but remember this is an old game. Either they've begun working on Origins and it's just going to take awhile to backwards engineer an entirely new server and ruleset, or they haven't begun work on it because they feel the end result won't be worth their time and effort. MMORPG companies are first and foremost companies, and are trying to maximize profits the same way a retail store does. They're not ideological happy fun groups whose sole purpose is to bring about a better Earth through video gaming nostalgia. Mythic has to balance time/resources among many projects in a way that nets them the most money. It doesn't help that WAR is failing.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Cmon the Albs!!!!!!

Very well said and I agree with every point, and could not state what you said any more eloquently.