Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: '08 Reader's Choice: Biggest News Story

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Today, with the end of year looming, MMORPG.com kicks off their 2008 Reader's Choice Awards by asking preaders what they felt was the biggest news story of the year.

• Tabula Rasa Closure
  • Activision / Blizzard Merger
  • Age of Conan Directorial Change
  • Bioware Announces The Old Republic
  • Star Trek Online Re-Announcement
  • WAR Ditches Cities and Careers

Check out the nominees and vote!

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Star Wars: The Old Republic  !!!!!

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762
    Originally posted by tillamook

Yeah, pretty sure Bioware is gonna win this one. Its what I immedietly voted for.

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Yep Star Wars is nailed on for this.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94

What about Diablo 3???

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

While the Star Wars announcement was big, it wasn't that much of a mystery. For me the Star Trek online announcement had me going nuts and put me in that prelaunch excitement a year or 2 before the game even launches.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

The WAR Announcement had me.  Bioware announcement was also interesting.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832
    Originally posted by tillamook

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

Yeah, SWTOR.

We all knew it was coming, but that didn't stop it from hitting the gaming world like an ICBM.

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Wharmaster

Yeah, SWTOR.

We all knew it was coming, but that didn't stop it from hitting the gaming world like an ICBM.

This is why I do NOT believe SW-TOR is the big story. EVERYONE knew. Why does that equal big news.

Tabula Rasa closing is my pick. We did not assume it would close THAT soon. Especially with so much money tied up into the game, and the constant "No, we are not closing" news press releases.

Duh!

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250
    Originally posted by openedge1

Yeah, SWTOR.

This is why I do NOT believe SW-TOR is the big story. EVERYONE knew. Why does that equal big news.

Tabula Rasa closing is my pick. We did not assume it would close THAT soon. Especially with so much money tied up into the game, and the constant "No, we are not closing" news press releases.

Duh!

Hehe when you say "it would close THAT soon" so you knew it would close maybe alittle sooner than you thought so why is that different from knowing about the Star Wars title but when you got the news it was big news?

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by openedge1

Yeah, SWTOR.

Duh!

I don't know. There were alot of us that kept reiterating TR was gonna tank hard and soon. So I'd say it was pretty well expected.

My pick was SWTOR. Regardless of the rumors beforehand, having final acknowledgement that one of the greatest rpg makers ever was jumping into the mmo ring, and with Star Wars to boot, definitely hit the spotlight brighter than anything else this year.

And for the guy who asked what about Diablo 3, when Diablo 3 becomes an mmorpg, maybe it'll get in the running.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

Definately the selling out of Mythic and them dropping content that should have been ingame at launch like the careers.

• NoimiNoimi Member Posts: 76

Gunna have to go with SWTOR. Nothing to do with expectations or anything, of all of the news it just seems to be the only one that really mattered in the long run. Tabula Rasa, at some point, just stopped mattering and only an insignificant number of people will actually care about its closure (people who play it now), the WAR class and city cuts were slightly expected given the closeness of release date and how little info they really gav e on them by that point, really thinking about it, the blizzard and activision merger doesn't change a lot, and post-release the directorial change is sort of expected, just sooner then most games would change directors.

SWTOR is easily the most genre effecting announcement of them, and its impact is entirely negligable. This year, thinking about it, is entirely disappointing, actually.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Definitely SW:ToR. Even though the removal of the cities and careers in WAR, and TRs coming closure were relatively huge, ToR takes the cake.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

What about Diablo 3???

Umm, Diablo 3 is not an MMO, and this is MMORPG.com

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

Tabula Rasa got my pick.  I never expected it to close so soon.

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

I think I will have to say that the Activision / Blizzard Merger was the biggest news for me this year.

Not that the news are positive to me in any way, infact I see this merger as a catastrophe for innovation within the MMO market. I still recon though, that this piece of news will be the one of biggest impact in the time to come.

• F2PMMOF2PMMO Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by Jowen

I think I will have to say that the Activision / Blizzard Merger was the biggest news for me this year.
    Not that the news are positive to me in any way, infact I see this merger as a catastrophe for innovation within the MMO market. I still recon though, that this piece of news will be the one of biggest impact in the time to come.

I agree(voted). Though it seems like SWTOR is going to win this vote. The Activision/Blizzard annoncement is the one news story that will win in the long run, be it positive or negative.

• listlurkerlistlurker Member Posts: 24

Personally, I'm more excited about Cryptic's Star Trek: Online, but there's no question here: the official confirmation that Bioware is making Star Wars: The Old Republic is the MMORPG story of the year.

• WarpHunterWarpHunter Member Posts: 147

The announcement of warhammer 40k online was the biggest story of the year.. Of the choices offered it would have to be SWTOR since star trek was all ready in production by perpetual before they went other and the other stories hold no real interest at all...

Warp

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

This is the way that I see things:

1. SW:TOR Announcement
    2. Blizzard / Activision Merger
    3. STO Re-Announcement

The change of leadership at AoC and the closure of TR were what I think of as "house keeping" headlines.  Things that happened that needed to be done.  There was also Richard Garriot jumping ship shortly before the closure.

The cutting of content from WAR, well.. some things never change.  Cutting content from release is standard.  Sucks, but it's standard.

In the end, I see a MMO release by Bioware as the news that directly affects the MMORPG genre the most, especially with the (dare I say almost delicious) drama yet to unfold as we see its inevitable affect on SWG.

• tovintovin Member Posts: 4

First of all, what's a preader? ;o

I voted for WAR only because the other announcements were a long time coming or hinted at along the year.  The WAR story (as the AoC changing content just before launch last year), was a true shock.  In my opinion the changes have drastically changed the game, and not necessarily for the better.

T

• Storm.Storm. Member UncommonPosts: 256

The Bioware one was fairly common knowledge, so it wasn't THAT big of a news story.  Secondly, the information released was rather overwhelming compared to what I believe most people were expecting.

The TR one was not surprising, or terribly important.

STO reannouncement was not terribly surprising either, as that information was easily accessible through financial information, and a game announcement, like the SW game, is not that life-changing of an event on the MMO scene.

AOC story shouldn't have been nominated.  Company shifts happen all the time, this shouldn't affect its players in any significant way.  The game releasing in such an unfinished state is the bigger news.

The WAR announcement was not only surprising, but also  seriously put doubt into many gamers about the state of that game upon release.

The biggest news story, while not "new" was by far ActBlizzard.  It is important because it is part of the overarching trend of monopolizing the gamining industry, and also has made individuals concerned about the future of Blizzard games, especially with the 3x Starcraft purchases that people must make, regardless of what Blizzard is saying about their products.  It also is the newsmaker that will affect the game industry the most out of those that were listed.  This is big news that is generally viewed in a BAD way by most people.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Even though it wasn't news and it'll probably suck....... ToR.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

I agree with Star Wars: The Old Republic crowd. Th is announcement was by far the biggest news of the year, hands down.  I haven't been this excited about a game since I first heard Star Wars Galaxies was being make years ago.

Yes I'm a Star Wars fan, but its also the new approach they are taking the game. I just love the whole idea of being story-driven and choice-driven. For better or worse you have to live with you actions with no save button.

Plus the companions sound cool too, thats one thing I liked in Guild Wars as well. Although I didn't like Guild Wars that much anyway, companions and the free to play business model is the only things Guild War ever got right. I hope Bioware and LucasArts goes the same way with The Old Republic. I wouldn't mind paying for a new exspanion every year or so, if normal every day game play is free.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!