Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just what AM I doing playing this game?!

I was turning in the artisan cooking quest in Gadgetzan when two players were duelling outside the inn. Wasn't really paying attention to them I was getting the Zesty Clam meat from the 10 clams.

The duel ended, didn't know who won, couldn't really care either way.

The one who lost, I assume, said to the other one "u r gay"

Their reply was "so is ur momma"

Nowhere near as offensive as wow players can be, but a typical encounter on pretty much most realms.

As I was walking towards to flightmaster I was thinking, "Do I really want to play this game till the next expansion knowing how many retards are playing?"

More questions were flowing through my mind, "Why did I leave X game for this?", "How old are these people?"There is a saying which goes along the lines of you are only as good as the company you keep. "Am I the same these people? No."

Surely the percentage of morons on a server is fairly small, right? Let's crunch some numbers.

I'll use the North American numbers. Roughly 3 million players.

Fantastic 3 million players all on one server!!!

No, 3 million players spread out, unevenly across over 200 realms.

That's about, on average, 15,000 people per realm.

The headline figure of "WoW now reaches 11 million players!" doesn't sound so amazing now does it?

World of Warcraft is nothing but a huuuge con, a very clever one with smart marketing and product placement. The percentage of jerks on your realm is a lot higher than you think.

Comments

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118

I could be wrong, but I don't think your number crunching really proved anything as you failed to factor in just what the percentage of that 3 million are jerks.  If 1/3 of that (1 million) are jerks, it's probably safe to say that for the most part that ratio is going to carry over for the average server.  Each server of course will have some higher, some lower, but barring any particular reason that there are more jerks for a specific server I would say that if 1/3 of 3 million people are jerks, you're going to find that 1/3 of the 15,000 are jerks as well and that you have just as much chance of running into them.

(Note: I'm not stating that as fact, as I'm terrible at math/statistics, but that's my guess right there.)

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I cringed when I made a new character and forgot to turn the trade/local chat channel off. Ughh..

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• AhilesAhiles Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by happyclappy

I was turning in the artisan cooking quest in Gadgetzan when two players were duelling outside the inn. Wasn't really paying attention to them I was getting the Zesty Clam meat from the 10 clams.
    Nowhere near as offensive as wow players can be, but a typical encounter on pretty much most realms.
    As I was walking towards to flightmaster I was thinking, "Do I really want to play this game till the next expansion knowing how many retards are playing?"
    More questions were flowing through my mind, "Why did I leave X game for this?", "How old are these people?"There is a saying which goes along the lines of you are only as good as the company you keep. "Am I the same these people? No."

Surely the percentage of morons on a server is fairly small, right? Let's crunch some numbers.
    The headline figure of "WoW now reaches 11 million players!" doesn't sound so amazing now does it?

World of Warcraft is nothing but a huuuge con, a very clever one with smart marketing and product placement. The percentage of jerks on your realm is a lot higher than you think.

So what was your point again?  Other than the usual wow hating garbage.  Anyone that thought 3 million players on any server is possible, needs a new brain.    get a grip on reality please.

• happyclappyhappyclappy Member Posts: 99

The point is, maybe if I made it in bold..was that there are less players playing on any given server than it first appears. Would a new player know that there are over 200 realms and that half of the 11 million players are not even on their continent? Someone who is new to MMO's, which WoW clearly caters for may not know it is technically impossible to have 3 million players on the same realm.

The point is, maybe if I made it in bold..was that there are less players playing on any given server than it first appears. Would a new player know that there are over 200 realms and that half of the 11 million players are not even on their continent? Someone who is new to MMO's, which WoW clearly caters for may not know it is technically impossible to have 3 million players on the same realm.

So what was your point again?  Or do you like pointting out usless crap tthat about everyone in the enitre gaming world alreayd knows?  Do you think people are idiots, that they even think that 3-5-10 million players is possible on 1 server?  Get a dman grip please.  I have seen some wow hating threads here on this forums in my time, but this one really is the most bizzare of them all.

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

I'll just chime in alittle since everyone has pretty much said what I am going to say...

I think you need to grow up, and realize not everyone is going to be as "mature" as you. If you cannot handle the fact that there will be teens playing a game( *gasp what a concept) then you should just not play games, period. If all else fails you could always play EvE and know what it's like to really play with a bunch of 10 year olds.

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979

all warcraft is is a bunch of stuff to keep you busy so your pay more money each month

Originally posted by ASmith84

all warcraft is is a bunch of stuff to keep you busy so your pay more money each month

Umm, do you realize every mmorpg does that? Just curious, since you seem to be confused about what mmorpg developers strive for.

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Every MMO has its share of annoying players who do things over the internet that they would not get away with in real life.  I am fairly certain you will find this type of behavior no matter what game you go to.  Some games may have less, but that is usually due to those games having dismal populations.  Games with PvP tend to have more of this type of stuff out in the open also. 

You for example have already threatened someone with violence and resorted to calling people idiots just in this thread.  So far I think you are demonstrating a fair share of the activities that you are claiming ruin your gaming experience.

Have you ever heard the old saying about throwing stones while in a glass house.

Wtf do you think games are?  jesus if your so angry aout it, dont play any games. After all its just a bunch iof stuff to kepe you busy.  get a dman grip on reality.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

That's interesting, but what you are pointing out is not unique to WoW.  it is true of society.

I remember when  I was about 11 or 12 years old and attending  a Dodgers game where some drunk dudes were being totally beligerant, cussing, throwing things, and being overly loud in general.

It's not a unique experience, anyone who's been to a sporting event can tell similar stories...

There are some people in the world who aren't at the same level of maturity as others- even if they are older and supposed to be more mature.   

Did I stop going to Dodger's games because there were jerks who ruined the game for everyone else sitting around them?  No.

Nor will I stop playing Wow.  But I will not play WoW with people like the ones you mentioned. 

You have the same choice.

• el_muerteel_muerte Member Posts: 191

So... you ever play Counter-Strike with voice enabled?  The 'tards in WoW are pretty tame compared to actually hearing a bunch of prepubescent 13 year old with a giant e-peen screaming racial slurs at each other as they race to be the first to take the other's head off with their aimbot-enhanced AWP while hiding on the edge of the map or up in the sky or below the floor from some terrain exploit.  Imagine a roomful of ADHD kids that all hate each other and just discovered the F-word, and you've got a good idea what CS is like. 

anyways... </rant>

I don't recall anyone, anywhere, ever claiming there were 11 million people playing WoW simultaneously, or on one server, or in the same world, or anything.  In fact the only time I see the 11 million figure is when someone's trying to rub someone else's face in Blizzard's success.

And if you let a bunch of immature lil brats ruin your gaming experience by not ignoring them or turning off General chat... well that's your deal, I guess, and my recommendation is stick to single player games.  'Coz there's gonna be smacktards in every multiplayer game you play.  Hell, go to a LAN party and play a War3 FFA and experience the rage when someone gets backstabbed.

• CoirCoir Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by pandrax

Umm, do you realize every mmorpg does that? Just curious, since you seem to be confused about what mmorpg developers strive for.

Actually no some of them are actually FUN stuff that keeps you busy...

Blizz = Bulltish artists anyone with a clue knows that.

Originally posted by Coir

Originally posted by pandrax

Actually no some of them are actually FUN stuff that keeps you busy...

Blizz = Bulltish artists anyone with a clue knows that.

Sorry, you are just stating your opinion, nothing else.  Blizzard does nothing different then any other MMO when it comes to content and development.  If you wan't to blindly hate on blizzard because you can't have it the way you want it, then I suggest you head to college and get a degree in programming and stop insulting everyone else for your lack of imagination.

~ ~

• JadedfireJadedfire Member Posts: 44

The story you told about the two dueling in Gadgetzan made me laugh because it is so very part of everyday life on World of Warcraft. While just today...

I was walking outside of Orgrimmar heading to the Zeppelin as I noticed a Orc Shaman level 70 dueling a Tauren Druid level 70. So I decided to stop what I was doing to watch them. The Druid won the duel, with 75% of his health still. He really put the Shaman to shame. After the duel, this was the conversation that took place:

Orc Shaman says: dammit

Orc Shaman says: f*ck that was unfair you are so f*ckin gay

Orc Shaman says: I couldnt even hit you hafl the time

Tauren Druid says: no you could not

Tauren Druid says: I am just better is all

They pretty much just rambled on back and forth arguing... So I left at that point and went on my merry way.

I just laugh at that sort of stuff when I see people cursing at someone else because they lost a duel or what not. Just keep to yourself and concentrate on your own demeanor, because in the end that is what matters. Besides, I am sure that there are other people out there who play World of Warcraft who may share the same views as you do. As for me I am the quiet type that sits back and watches the drama and fights, as they come along. I kind of enjoy it watching people as they make a fool of themself.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Can't deny there are a lot of morons in WoW. There were also a lot of morons in EQ. Now that I think about it, there's been morons in every single game I played.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Originally posted by Jadedfire

I was walking outside of Orgrimmar heading to the Zeppelin as I noticed a Orc Shaman level 70 dueling a Tauren Druid level 70. So I decided to stop what I was doing to watch them. The Druid won the duel, with 75% of his health still. He really put the Shaman to shame. After the duel, this was the conversation that took place:

Orc Shaman says: dammit

Orc Shaman says: f*ck that was unfair you are so f*ckin gay

Orc Shaman says: I couldnt even hit you hafl the time

Tauren Druid says: no you could not

Tauren Druid says: I am just better is all

They pretty much just rambled on back and forth arguing... So I left at that point and went on my merry way.

I just laugh at that sort of stuff when I see people cursing at someone else because they lost a duel or what not. Just keep to yourself and concentrate on your own demeanor, because in the end that is what matters. Besides, I am sure that there are other people out there who play World of Warcraft who may share the same views as you do. As for me I am the quiet type that sits back and watches the drama and fights, as they come along. I kind of enjoy it watching people as they make a fool of themself.

This reminds me of a funny story. Anyone who deals with losers will understand.

Dumb Kid 1: Durr, durr, durr, pills and weed, durr

Dumb kid 2: Dah, Dah, Dah, pills and weed dah

Dumb kid 1: Huh, huh, huh, pills, *droll*

Dumb kid 2: *grunt* *drool*

Kid's oblivious mother: Okie sweethearts c'mon home, so momma can take care of you. I know your 23 and 24 with no jobs. Its a rough world. Its not your fault. Its theirs.

Its not just WoW. Yes, this is rampant behavior by kids nowadays, and parents trying to blame anyone but themselves.

*steps off soapbox*

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

This is a big reason I don't like to associate with the "duel me" crowd.  They all seem to act like that in every single game with pvp.  It is nothing game specific unless you want to convince yourself these people somehow behave better in other games.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

I have the MMO for you.  Tabula Rasa!  The developers absolutely refused to include content that would keep you busy or make you want to pay more money each month. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson