Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many times have you had your fingers burned by new MMO's? (Poll)

A lot of people get drawn into the hype surrounding upcoming MMO's and will buy the game the day it releases only to find out that it's not what they hoped for. Sometimes going so far as to pre-order a special edition of the game for several times the regular product price.

I'm curious to see how many of you fall into the same trap time and time again, adamant that THIS game will be different and will finally be 'The One', only to be bitterly disappointed once again.

This is specifically for people who have been so certain that the game will be everything they hoped for that they pre-order, or buy on - or 1-2 days after - the release date.

Please state the games in question if you wish.

Comments

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Voted "Interested in the results" becasue my answer is not here wich is "Never" I play many games on release and before that (open and closed beta) and everytime the game is more or less what is expected. The problem come just if you expect too mcuh from the game...

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • spiritsespiritse Member Posts: 67

A lot of games promise new features and say they are unique, but most tend to stick with the same old play style or grinding.

Most quests systems are too easy, gone are the days of EQ1 where you had to think about the quest and work on it. or even go onto the support forums and gather information.

Most tend to fall into the same pitfall with armour and weapons, same design and graphics, I like the looks of the combat system on The Chronicles or spellborn, plus I think they have made a good choice to entice players by making the game free to Download and try for the first 7 or 9 levels.

65 Druid Tallon Zek, EQlive
    50 skald Gaheris DAOC,
    50 Cabalist Gaheris DAOC,
    44 Merc Gaheris DAOC,
    43 Healer Merlin DAOC,

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I always wait on PLAYER REVIEWS and I only count the ones one month after release or later (gets the fanbois, trolls and "ooooh purrty grafics" whores out of the way).

Never be sucked into pre-orders.

And never assume Beta Play = Released Game Play.

Both PotBS and WAR seem to suggest a trend where players perform differently post release than in the beta?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

Once for me (AoC) - but the option of 'never again' doesn't apply to me personally.

I enjoy the excitement of playing a brand new MMO and racing for server firsts and so on. I accept that playing on release can sometimes lead to frustration but will still continue to play brand new games. For me the enjoyment is worth the risk.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

How many times have you tested food that you eventually didn't like? Would you rather not test that food and possibly miss a flavour that you may have loved? Would you take the word of some other person to influence you regarding your liking or not that particular food?

How much different is this in MMO case?

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Xasapis

How many times have you tested food that you eventually didn't like? Would you rather not test that food and possibly miss a flavour that you may have loved? Would you take the word of some other person to influence you regarding your liking or not that particular food?

Eaten a lot of pooh lately have you?

I have never eaten Dog pooh, horse pooh, monkey pooh, cat pooh, chicken pooh... you get the idea.

Why?  Because other people tell me it tastes like pooh and is not good for me.  I trust their reviews.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• enLSenLS Member Posts: 22

I was a Dark and Light SoG pre order...  Cry for me.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Every time but Planetside and SWG which happened to be the two fucking mmorpgs that got ruined.

• I get burned a lot because I'm looking for a great new mmo and I refuse to base my decision on the hype, fanbois, and trolling that is a staple of these forums.  As they always say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.  A dev could make a spectacular mmo and it could bomb simply because of the bad word of mouth that always accompanies any new mmo.

Of course, you can at least get a general idea of the gameplay first, such as sandbox or themepark, but really the only way to judge a game is to play it.  So with that in mind, I fully expect to get burned by quite a few more mmos until I find the one that fits my playstyle.  It's not a big deal, though, because it's a risk I'm willing to accept.  It also means that I may find I enjoy a game that I would have thought I wouldn't, so it keeps my mind open to other possibilities.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

I usually give an mmo a month after release or so, before I try it hoping that the launch "kinks" are ironed out. The only mmo I ever bought at launch was Guild Wars, and I still stop in GW once in a while.

• I don't go into an MMO , at any time, thinking it will be worhtwhile.  I always constantly evaluate the course of the game.  When it becomes apparent that the course is not good or not for me.  I leave.

I never get "burned" because I never become a silly fanboi constantly falling in and out of love.  

I bought WAR after doing the Open "Beta" played it for a month and realized the RvR mechanics are tragically flawed.  It made me sad, but I did not feel "burned".  First half of the game was fun, it had a lot of good stuff.

People act like these developers are some girlfriend who lied to them.  In some cases they are lying a lot.  But in many they simply make dumb decisions.  That is the case with WAR they just didn't get it.  AoC was very shifty for some time and in that case if I had bought their crap maybe i would have felt burned.  But they stunk a mile away in my opinion so I held back.

I guess people look at a some list of features and they get big hearts in their eyes like some kind of cartoon character.  Anyone who does that will constantly get burned.  Every product ever created and marketed has some list "great" features to make it look good.

If you look at overpromise, ability to deliver, and whether it makes sense in total.  Then you are usually pretty good.  I don't ever know whether a game or expansion will be good.  But the obvious alarm bells are usually pretty much all you need to avoid getting burned.

Alot of people act like a game that did not turn out well is a burn though.  They get overdramatic and they just start becoming a hating stalker.  That is silly.  I can see that with dishonest games.  But games where the devs just screwed up.  Well they just screwed up.  That is it.  Anyone who thinks a game where the devs screwed up is a burn, well they need help.  Seriously go see a therapist you are not right with the world.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Ive never bought a game on release that I didnt beta test first.......Also if I dont beta test it I wait at least 3-6 months before considering it to get a better feel for what the game is like....It has paid off many times and really I have only played a handful that ended up disappointing........ It also helps having websites like Youtube where we can see some vids of gameplay to get an idea of how a game looks (at least somewhat anyway)........

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by joeyboots

I usually give an mmo a month after release or so, before I try it hoping that the launch "kinks" are ironed out. The only mmo I ever bought at launch was Guild Wars, and I still stop in GW once in a while.

Same here.  Every game ships with a few bugs (some game-breaking) and I would rather wait to give them a chance to iron it all out so that I can play it as it was meant to be.  I also prefer to go the route of a demo or trial before I purchase to see if it's worth my $50 in the first place.  As a result, the only times I've been burned have been with those cheap SP games that run about 9 bucks, and in that case it's not really getting burnt at all since you walk into it knowing it's probably junk.

GW was also the only mmo that I've bought at launch, but I also tried it several times in the open beta events so I knew what I was in for and enjoyed it.

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Originally posted by Xasapis

Eaten a lot of pooh lately have you?

I have never eaten Dog pooh, horse pooh, monkey pooh, cat pooh, chicken pooh... you get the idea.

Why?  Because other people tell me it tastes like pooh and is not good for me.  I trust their reviews.

What have other reviewers done to earn your trust? 

I agree with Xasapis, I'd rather regret the things I've done than the things I didn't do.

As for the games that I was disappointed with after buying close to release.  WAR and AOC mainly, Vanguard I thought was a good game but just too buggy to play.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Never. The only MMO I've ever bought on release was Lineage II but I had already been in closed and open beta at that point so I new exactly what to expect. All others I either wait for reviews or a free trial of some sort before I give them one dime of my money. Right now I'm eagerly awaiting Darkfall and STO but I won't spend a dime on either until I've tried them both or at least have seen some positive reviews on either.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Never been disappointed ever that I have purchased. Before i buy any game i learn everything there is about it. Most likely discuess it or try it over at some firends. Games being $120 here, there isnt much room for error.

I think that rabid fanboys and hadcore ppl have huge expectations for games these days. But then I think they deserved it too if they are dissappointed.......Dont believe in hyper.

• TheRedPillTheRedPill Member Posts: 114

Like most polls, your questions are posed to reveal the outcome you desire. I don't see the answer to your question that I would have chosen for myself, so I didnt vote. 

Never have I been burned, though I've pre-ordered 3 games and play them still, to this day. City of Heroes - 4 1/2 years old and going strong (Cryptic Studios/NCSoft); City of Villains - 3 years old and going strong (Cryptic Studios/NCSoft); and Lord of the Rings Online - 1 1/2 years old and going strong (Turbine).

• WRyanWRyan Member Posts: 266

I've only been burned by one game - SWG.  I've never been burned by any game since or before, be it Single Player or MMO.

I think the reason why I felt burned by SWG, was because SOE unapologetically lied to the playerbase over and over and over again.  Back then, we didn't know any better.  I mean, it was SOE.  They used to be the one company we could actually trust to facilitate quality gaming.  But, they really had a lot of marketting whores running the show, and they just used us.

That's really the only game I've ever felt burned from, but it was more of a personal thing.  By all accounts, the players of the original SWG were conned, and we couldn't and still can't do anything about it.  What's worse, is time has made that wound almost an afterthought that we have come to accept as a loss.  A very unjustly loss.  If this same thing had happened in any other marketplace, it would never have been legal.  Basically, SOE took our money and ran.

I mean, they did admit it was wrong... what they did.  But that's kind of like purposely stealing someone's car and then saying "My bad..." years later after trashing it, then telling them it's the same car they had before, so they can still use it - only it's missing a headlight, the turn signals don't work, it overheats, the passenger side window is in a permanent state of "craked open", the driver's seat chair doesn't sit on the rail properly, the AC is shot, the steering column is busted with wires hanging out, the stereo is missing, the brakes aren't working properly, the tires have dry rot, and it has about 150,000 miles extra than it had before.

Anyway, just about every MMO since has been basically the same game over and over again.  I would say I have been disappointed by a few of them, but not really burned.  I mean, I don't take their failure as a personal insult.

AoC came close, but I forgot about it because I had discovered about 3 months before release that it wasn't going to be the game Funcom had been promoting for three years.  Then again... it wouldn't have even come THAT close, because I don't have it in me to give a shit anymore :P

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by enLS

I was a Dark and Light SoG pre order...  Cry for me.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261

I have been gaming on the PC for a long time, I used to by at least 2 games a month and most games would be forgotten the next month.  I never played a MMO which didn't keep me amused at least a month, so I really don't think I have ever been burned in the long term, but in the short term, AO was unplayable at release, I quit feeling burned but came back later and got my moneys worth, actually played a couple of years.  I also hated EQ2 at realease, but with many changes it is a game I now spend a few months a year.  Age of Conan, my machine is not powerful enough, but I will soon be changing and have a few friends in the game so I will surly get my moneys worth.

I didn't play Tabula Rase or City of Heroes more than a month, but found a lot of things interesting in each and do not consider I was burned.

So I guess it is all a matter of perspective, my first MMO's were Ultima Online and Everquest, which I played for 3 and 5 years, and if I expect every new MMO fo give the same experience as the first ones, I would constantly be decieved.  Your first one is always special, yea, I mean MMO ...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You know, the option that "every game I bought on release I liked and thought they was worth the money" isn't there.

I don't see myself as burnt by any MMO, sometimes I quit after a month but since I played it that time it was worth my cash.

Only game that wasn't worth my cash was Meridian 59, and that was because I didn't have broadband at the time, it just lagged so much. But I see that as my fault, I never buy anything I can't at least play at recomended specs either, no minimum spec games for me (now I buy a high end computer every 2nd year or so instead).

Most MMOs also have open betas. Even if I pay $40 for a weeks hard gaming I consider it wort the cash if I have fun then, I waste more than that on beer on a average friday anyways.

• razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Twice AoC and then WAR, all other mmos i waited before i bought but these 2 just looked soo promising

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Recent MMOs have all been pretty bad by the standards that I hold MMOs by. AC was a great game, I didn't feel the need to play it constantly, but I also didn't look at the icon on my desktop and debate about whether I wanted to log in, or uninstall.

AoC had a lot of good points, but the world was too small, made worse by the instancing and linear pathways.

WAR had less good points to me, but the scenarios kept me playing longer than I would have without them, otherwise the game was lacking in just about everything that I look for in a good MMORPG.

A good MMORPG should be fun whether played alone, or in a group. There should be a sense of involvement with the world, and a sense of exploration and adventure. Danger should lurk around every corner, not penned up into nice little sections where you know what to expect. Death should not come without it's price, and no item should be bound to you. Corpse runs can be frustrating, but in the end it's the challenge that makes a game fun. MMO's have been relying too much recently on other players providing that challenge, but that just breeds conflict and frustration in the community, which kills the game. PvP should always be voluntary, not forced. Competition is fun, abuse is not.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

AC2, EQ2, Guild Wars, WAR. Luckily, I foresaw AOC, VG, DDO being complete bombs.I was in beta for LOTRO, so I knew it was a dumbed down WoW clone.

AC2 and EQ2 were by far the worst burns. I quit playing EQ2 in less than a week after launch(I was super hyped being an EQ player since 2000). AC2 I lasted maybe 2 weeks after launch. GW I could never get into. WAR I at least lasted almost 2 months, before I decided it was on a fast track to nowhere.

I won't say WoW burned me even though I didn't last throughout my free month. I went back again and played for 3 months, and had a decent time. I'm playing again, because its the only MMO that has a healthy population.

I just hope TCOS isn't the next burn. Playing 7 levels isn't exactly a great trial. It looks great, though.

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239
    Originally posted by WRyan

I've only been burned by one game - SWG.  I've never been burned by any game since or before, be it Single Player or MMO.
    I think the reason why I felt burned by SWG, was because SOE unapologetically lied to the playerbase over and over and over again.  Back then, we didn't know any better.  I mean, it was SOE.  They used to be the one company we could actually trust to facilitate quality gaming.  But, they really had a lot of marketting whores running the show, and they just used us.
    That's really the only game I've ever felt burned from, but it was more of a personal thing.  By all accounts, the players of the original SWG were conned, and we couldn't and still can't do anything about it.  What's worse, is time has made that wound almost an afterthought that we have come to accept as a loss.  A very unjustly loss.  If this same thing had happened in any other marketplace, it would never have been legal.  Basically, SOE took our money and ran.
    I mean, they did admit it was wrong... what they did.  But that's kind of like purposely stealing someone's car and then saying "My bad..." years later after trashing it, then telling them it's the same car they had before, so they can still use it - only it's missing a headlight, the turn signals don't work, it overheats, the passenger side window is in a permanent state of "craked open", the driver's seat chair doesn't sit on the rail properly, the AC is shot, the steering column is busted with wires hanging out, the stereo is missing, the brakes aren't working properly, the tires have dry rot, and it has about 150,000 miles extra than it had before.
    Anyway, just about every MMO since has been basically the same game over and over again.  I would say I have been disappointed by a few of them, but not really burned.  I mean, I don't take their failure as a personal insult.
    AoC came close, but I forgot about it because I had discovered about 3 months before release that it wasn't going to be the game Funcom had been promoting for three years.  Then again... it wouldn't have even come THAT close, because I don't have it in me to give a shit anymore :P

QFT.

SOE lied, lied and then lied some more, then completely changed the game.  That is the worse burning ever.

However, being burned at release has only happened to me once and that was with Vanguard.  I spent £1200 on a new rig (just on the tower and everything in it) to play that game and then I still suffered absolutely shocking performance.  Random CTDs, sometimes up to 7 an hour, awful hitching and lag made the game practically unplayable.  Not to mention all the graphical and gameplay bugs.  I played from the January launch till the end of May and nothing improved.  I even returned in January this year as I thought that it should be enough time for it to be up to a decent standard.  I was wrong.  Sure, it was a bit better, but it still is in a Beta stage if you ask me.  Certainly not worth the trouble imho.

I am currently playing AoC and have been since launch.  I was a Closed Beta tester on this one so I knew what to expect.  Sure this game has issues too (less than Vanguard does even after nearly two years of being live though), and I knew it did before buying and tbh I can put up with the issues in AoC simply because I love the setting and the gameplay.  Also the game has improved a hell of a lot since launch and so has the community.  Seems all the annoying, whining WoW noobs buggered off back to cartoonland, or the new PvP cartoonland thank God! :p

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.