Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF an mmo with meaningful crafting.

lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

I made a post like this months ago, and figured I would check again since a few games have been released since then.

I am looking for an mmo with meaningful crafting. Basically I want to craft items that are useful and wanted. Would really like to do so without having to put in lots of time killing mobs. I heard SWG has great crafting, but the NGE made that game alot different, and not for the good imo. Is there another mmo that has crafting on the scale I am looking for?

P2p or f2p, doesn't matter to me so long as the crafting is good.

(Would pay $50/month for a new AC, with awesome crafting added in.)

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

Comments

• WOTDOUPLAYWOTDOUPLAY Member Posts: 139

runescape!!! lol jk lotro!

AWEG RJN

• HunterAPHunterAP Member Posts: 76

Not LotRO.  LotRO crafting is ok, but it doesn't sound like what you're looking for.  If you're looking for a game where crafting is very important (like SWG used to be) give Wurm Online a try.  It's lacking in terms of graphics and combat, but the crafting is pretty much the best.  It's too bad that the mainstream MMO's don't adapt a reliance on crafting.

• kduke91kduke91 Member Posts: 24

A new game called Darkfall is said to be coming before the end of 2008. Crafting is said to be one of the most important jobs in this game due to the nature of the game's reliability on players instead of NPCs. You should check it out, www.darkfallonline.com

• PraviusPravius Member UncommonPosts: 68

Honestly EQ2 crafting is the best I have ever seen in a game.  It is extremely in depth and detailed.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

^^^^ havent heard much about crafting from Darkfall...and i doubt its going to be released this year

if your looking for some meaningful crafting try SWG (hope you havent played it pre-NGE) or Vanguard (only game where there are both adventuring, crafting and diplomacy levels.  basically you can go all the way to the top without touching the other tiers (most people get to lvl 20 in adventuring before getting to 50 in crafting) oh and crafting requires skill).

those 2 and EQ2 are the best on the market.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• WOTDOUPLAYWOTDOUPLAY Member Posts: 139

stay away from swg

Maps are to big, population is two small

lotr......just right :D

AWEG RJN

• NoimiNoimi Member Posts: 76

You might give EVE a shot, if you're willing to deal with a few issues, its crafting is satisfying enough.

Sadly, crafting seems to be treated as a burden to developers, rather then letting it flourish like every other aspect of an mmo. In some cases, one of the last things they worked on.

• wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196

try Vanguard imo it has very nice crafting, thats also a challenge..

haven't played EQ2 in a long time, so dont kno what changes have been made to that system, but it used to be good.

you can always get a free trial of vanguard as well ;)

Originally posted by Death1942

^^^^ havent heard much about crafting from Darkfall...and i doubt its going to be released this year

if your looking for some meaningful crafting try SWG (hope you havent played it pre-NGE) or Vanguard (only game where there are both adventuring, crafting and diplomacy levels.  basically you can go all the way to the top without touching the other tiers (most people get to lvl 20 in adventuring before getting to 50 in crafting) oh and crafting requires skill).

I've heard that almost ALL of the armor and weapons are going to be crafted in DarkFall and also that crafters can create basically anything if they have the materials, of course.

And about the release date, it's promised by the company to be released by the end of 2008. Closed beta is going on right now and open beta is supposed to start very soon.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by kduke91

I've heard that almost ALL of the armor and weapons are going to be crafted in DarkFall and also that crafters can create basically anything if they have the materials, of course.

And about the release date, it's promised by the company to be released by the end of 2008. Closed beta is going on right now and open beta is supposed to start very soon.

No one know for sure (execpt for the dev) what features darkfall will have, so you can stop trying to sell Darkfall please? We will see what Darkfall will be want it is on the market.

Now for the op, i suggest you to try Vanguard or EQ2, they both have a good crafting system.

Originally posted by Silok

No one know for sure (execpt for the dev) what features darkfall will have, so you can stop trying to sell Darkfall please? We will see what Darkfall will be want it is on the market.

Now for the op, i suggest you to try Vanguard or EQ2, they both have a good crafting system.

I wasn't trying to sell it. I was just suggesting a game that might have decent crafting if it does actually have all the features that it has said it will.

• If you mean meaninful as in what you make matters and it's hard to live without the items you make and you can change even the terrain, then I second Wurm.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I guess my question would be:  What do you mean by meaningful?  For example, EQ2 and VG both have an excellent crafting minigame (IMO), but the reality is that your gear goes relatively unsold unless it is top notch.  I really liked VG's mechanic for crafting the best out of most games I have played.  Now, if you are talking about meaningful, as in the economy and gameplay are heavily dependant on crafted gear, then I can only say EVE.  SWG also has excellent crafting mechanic, plus people are dependant on it for gameplay, however the population is low *and* most people still in game have their own crafters.

None of the other games mentioned (besides for SWG) have meaningful crafted gear.  End-game Lotro gear is mostly from raids and instances.  End-game WoW and EQ2 gear, same story.  SWG had a meaningful crafting system, but SWG was ruined by the CU and NGE. 

Wurm Online is your best bet.  Again, it doesn't have the polish of these other games, and to tell the truth, I got tired of playing it because the game is HEAVILY dependent on crafting, and the other aspects of the game aren't very well polished.  Heck, if Rolf (lead developer) heard about ME pushing his game, he'd probably have a heart attack.  But if you REALLY like crafting, Wurm is the way to go.

There is one other option...  If it's still around...  Ryzom.  From what I remember the crafting system in Ryzom was fantastic.  Good balance of killing and crafting.  But Ryzom closed it's doors a while back. It was supposed to re-open at some point...  Don't know if that's happened yet.  You might look into it.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

heh... I found HunterAP!

Calidor

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MaggotscreamMaggotscream Member Posts: 284

I don't think there are any games currently out that have a depency on crafting like SWG (preCU) did. I've heard lots of good things about The Saga of Ryzom but since I haven't played that game I cannot go into detail.

Your best bet is to look for games that require crafted items to be made frequently for PvP.

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

heh... I found HunterAP!

Calidor

Heh.  Good to see ya Cal.  Hope Warhammer is treating you well.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Ryzom is now back online.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Originally posted by Death1942

thats nice that everything can be crafted.  however so far i have heard nothing innovative about it and thus i will assume it is a crappy system of grab X and Y material and click Z button to complete recepie.  Both Vanguard, EQ2 and (to a lesser extent) SWG have far more involved crafting with much more complexity and problems that can arise.

as far as Darkfall and its release...i never bother with a game until it is in Open Beta at least.  Also the OP wants an MMO now, not in the 'end of 2008' or 2009

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

Yeah, Ryzom is back: 

http://www.ryzom.com/en/

Apparently, it's totally free at the moment.  Great time to give it a go.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

How can anyone suggest a game thats not released yet? Darkfall crafting may be worthless, No one knows. You might be able to buy all the gear from vendors, you might be able to get all the gear to drop from certian mobs, who knows. Furthermore the devs said OB should end early december. It better start soon huh? By my figuring theres very few days before early december gets here.

Give it up DF will not be out in 08. People hanging to the promises of devs are ignorant, especially since there has been no new meaningfull announcement in months.

As for my suggestion on a crafting system on a released game, it is Vanguard or SWG.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• TeganxTeganx Member Posts: 401

Vanguard, no doubt about it.

playing: darkfall
    waiting: earthrise

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by Teganx

Vanguard, no doubt about it.

Yeah VG is good, but isn't the endgame still drop gear focussed?

• BellaHBellaH Member UncommonPosts: 269

I would say try A Tale in the Desert
    ATITD.COM
    The game is about to start Tale4, with the open beta
    Saturday, December 6, 2008, 2:00 PM EST (GMT-0500)

This is a very good game, and contrary to what some have said the graphics are accually pretty nice. Avatars are a tad ugly, but oh well.
    The game is all crafting and politics, no need to worry about killing mob boss's. You will find yourself using your mind more in this game than in anyother you will find.

•  

I suggest Ryzom.  It's free to play until the end of December, so you'd have a few weeks to try the game out.  The crafting is intricate, complex, and lots of fun.  There's no repair of armor, weapons or jewelry so crafted items are always in demand. 

I've only been playing for 3 months, and so I'm by no means an expert, but I really enjoy this game for the crafting and foraging aspects.

One thing about foraging, which is needed to get the materials you'll use to craft, it can be a bit frustrating when you first start.  But, once you get going, this part of the game can be as much fun, if not more fun, than crafting is.  At least foraging is for me.

Katore