Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to SWG

I just got the trial, and kinda screwed around checking stuff out, etc.. I'm level 6 now and must say I am really enjoying it.

Basically I am looking to see what server I should make my perma home, and if there are any guilds or helpful players out there that would be willing to help me out on this new journey I am taking, in order to break away from the prison that is WOW.

Comments

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

Well if it's WoW you're trying to escape, there's a good bet you're trying to get away from the loot/instance grindfest. If that's the case, do yourself a favour and try another mmo, SWG's content at level 90 is now pretty familiar territory if you've played WoW. Instance and loot grind, they've even got a PvP rank system that's a carbon copy of WoW's old honor grind (even complete with rank decay), it'll be a refreshing change while you level though I guess.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

They changed SWG into WoW because of WoW. Twice even. The funny thing is people who play will say if you don't like the game then you should go play WoW, thing is SWG is the Star Wars version of WoW with worse content and stories. I would suggest playing EQ2, the content is 10 times better in that game than SWG.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

My best advice is to log in and look at the server loads for the primary time you will be in game, there are currently 7 servers that get to medium load and 1 or 2 of them get a heavy load from time to time.

In the character creation process don't just accept the default server that is presented to you, at that point you will see the server loads on all the servers, just sort them by load level.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I used to direct ppl to the 3 heavy servers, but they are gone now sorry.

There are 7 servers that hit medium during peak times and drop to light off-peak(and this is during the free vet month), however medium by SOE standards is now 50 players online i think(it may even be lower).  The majority players will be hanging out in eisly and restuss(on rori) so check both of those on which ever servers u try

Unfortunately the populations of all server are so low you are likely to have trouble getting a group together to do the end game content

And also unfortunately the population is still dropping

If u are looking for something that is different from WOW I would suggest u try Eve as it's the only real contender but is a niche game

If u do try SWG for yourself I wish you luck(you are going to need it)

• tried eve, and I can honestly say it is quite possibly the most boring game I have ever played. I'd glady trade my old eve account for an atari with pong.

A medium server has hundreds of players on it at that time.

• Inat_miveaInat_mivea Star Wars Galaxies CorrespondentMember Posts: 249

welcome to SWG, razgar. For a new player, SWG is a great game as long as you find the populated servers. Off the top of my head, here are the largest in no particular order: Chilastra, Bria, Bloodifn, Starsider, euro-chimaera.  (I play on Chilastra and Starsider)

If you venture to chilastra, look me up (Inat) or look for Obraik... he can be helpful too

I would also suggest you take a look at SWG's Official New Player Forum: http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/forums/show.m?forum_id=4235

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by razgar

tried eve, and I can honestly say it is quite possibly the most boring game I have ever played. I'd glady trade my old eve account for an atari with pong.

I'd have to agree - played this myself for a while and it is the most boring experience I think I've had in MMOs. That said, lots of people love it, but I think it's very niche and I think you have to wade through a lot of crap in the lower levels to get to the higher levels where, apparently, it's more fun.

Originally posted by Gutboy

yeah and then you woke up

Originally posted by razgar

tried eve, and I can honestly say it is quite possibly the most boring game I have ever played. I'd glady trade my old eve account for an atari with pong.

didn't like eve either myself (struggled to even finnish free trial) though i think i'd prefer space invaders to pong

but if u don't like the more mindnumbing WOW stylle of gameplay there aren't exactly alot of alternatives available atm, i think most of the games that are different from wow don't seem to get advertised and so go down the gurgler.  The next game to be released that's going to try something different is darkfall and should go live(or at least open beta) by the end of the year, not sure i like the look of it any more than eve but until i get to try it won't know for certain.

fyi some ppl will tell u this game is completely dead and empty and some ppl will tell u that each server has hundreds upon hundreds of players and if u give this game a go you will see for yourself that neither of these is true, free vet month ends on the 30th btw so next week will give u a more realistic view of the population

personally never played pre-cu so not an nge hater and would honestly say that 50 ppl online can class a server as medium and overall SWG has maybe 5000 active subs atm maybe less spread across 7 or 8 servers

Originally posted by Karahandras

No I counted the players using the search tool.

Well that tool is very misleading, I used it on Flurry and it came back with more than could be counted, however Aurelia was all but deserted, Restuss had maybe half a dozen people and Eisley as usualy was packed with afk ents and RP cyber sex weirdos.

Some people in my guild still haven't seen Hoth because they can't fll a group,

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

Originally posted by efefia

Well that tool is very misleading, I used it on Flurry and it came back with more than could be counted, however Aurelia was all but deserted, Restuss had maybe half a dozen people and Eisley as usualy was packed with afk ents and RP cyber sex weirdos.

the only thing misleading about it is that it doesnt count anonymous "non-searchable" players.

"hundreds" is an accurate estimate of a medium server

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

Originally posted by Inat_mivea

the only thing misleading about it is that it doesnt count anonymous "non-searchable" players.

Yes but as I've said, "hundreds" does not indicate the amount of people available to join for group content, also to reitterate, several members of my guild have as yet been unable to see Hoth because they haven't been able to fill a group.... a full group is only 8 players now ffs. "hundreds" searchable, not even 7 available to group, so yes... extremely misleading.

Yes but as I've said, "hundreds" does not indicate the amount of people available to join for group content, also to reitterate, several members of my guild have as yet been unable to see Hoth because they haven't been able to fill a group.... a full group is only 8 players now ffs. "hundreds" searchable, not even 7 available to group, so yes... extremely misleading.

I gotcha. Yeah, people don't use the tool to its fullest potential. you can use it to say what activity you're doing, what you want to do, etc. No one uses it though. I took my self off anonymous a couple nights ago and got several tells from people i didnt know asking me to do Hoth.

I can't wait for the free server transfers...it will vastly improve the game play for so many stuck on underpopulated servers

I gotcha. Yeah, people don't use the tool to its fullest potential. you can use it to say what activity you're doing, what you want to do, etc. No one uses it though. I took my self off anonymous a couple nights ago and got several tells from people i didnt know asking me to do Hoth.

I can't wait for the free server transfers...it will vastly improve the game play for so many stuck on underpopulated servers

my main characters are on farstar, it was stated as medium when i logged on, i used the search tool as much as i could AND i went and looked around, sorry but there just weren't 100 ppl online at that time

and the heroics wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't attached the buffs and 5 piece to them, i would have been more than happy to do them on a more casual basis for the jewelry alone, can't speak for anyone else though

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Last time I logged on and used the search tool, Lowca gave me 36 people and most of them being crafters/ents, 28 on Tarquinas and 50+ (I forget exact number) on Radiant. I can see servers like Bria, Starsider and Chilastra having over 100+ though.