Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Guild Wars-ish game

kolekkolek Member Posts: 118

Well let me get right to it. I'm an avid Guild Wars player; I love the PvP and the strategy involved with the skill bar. I would like to play a game that is similar to GW and if possible, has either of the two aspects I like about GW.

Thanks

Comments

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

Give Atlantica Online a shot. Turn based, F2P, lots of crafting options, not much char. customization, duels, arena challenges, and you control mercenaries along with your main character.

Edit Add: There really aren't other games like GW, but I'd think AO is somewhat closer than others. Maybe D&D?

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Guild Wars is far from turn-based so you may find it tough adapting to such a combat system.

• GidSlackGidSlack Member Posts: 173

Regnum Online -- f2p Realm vs. Realm mmo 

There is open 3 realm pvp in the war zone.  Combat ranges from 1v1 to small party skirmishes to large wars for control of realm forts.  Unlike Guild Wars, you level up with PvE in RO for pvp

I don't know what the "skill bar" is in Guild Wars (haven't played it).  But each class in RO has 3 basic skill trees with ten skills each, and each subclass has two special skill trees with 10 skills each ( = 50 possible skills per character).  This allows for a variety of builds for pvp (in RO you don't see everyone walking around with the same build).

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by GidSlack

Regnum Online -- f2p Realm vs. Realm mmo 
    There is open 3 realm pvp in the war zone.  Combat ranges from 1v1 to small party skirmishes to large wars for control of realm forts.  Unlike Guild Wars, you level up with PvE in RO for pvp
    I don't know what the "skill bar" is in Guild Wars (haven't played it).  But each class in RO has 3 basic skill trees with ten skills each, and each subclass has two special skill trees with 10 skills each ( = 50 possible skills per character).  This allows for a variety of builds for pvp (in RO you don't see everyone walking around with the same build).

I'm going to try regnum. Which server would you recommend playing on?

(USA)

• deadplayerdeadplayer Member Posts: 102

Try Shaiya , a free to play RvR MMORPG

Shaiya is a fantasy Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG). Located on a distant planet, Shaiya puts players in the middle of an age-old blood feud between two warring factions: the Union of Fury and the Alliance of Light.

This classic-style MMORPG offers players:

PvE, PvP, RvR: The best of all game worlds in one game. Slay monsters, battle friends in duels, smite opposing players in PvP, and fight for control of the continent in Realm versus Realm combat. To the winner of RvR goes the blessing of their Goddess and all the bonuses that includes!

Originally posted by Korby

I'm going to try regnum. Which server would you recommend playing on?

(USA)

Horus is the English server, and Ra is the original Spanish server (RO is run by an Argentinian development studio).

Ra's population is currently maxed (~1200); Horus was started in August 2008 and is still growing.  At the moment, there are full scale fort wars (30+ vs 30+ people) on Ra at most times.  On Horus, depending on when you play (lots of Europeans), you might only get big fort wars on the weekends.  There are still some English players and clans on Ra, but most have moved to Horus.

The open pvp (hunting parties, skirmishes) on Horus though is currently quite friendly to newbies because there aren't as many people at the level cap.

• kolekkolek Member Posts: 118

The thing I liked about the skill bar was that you were limited to what skills you could put into it, so there was strategy involved when you picked your skills. I don't like how in most games you can bring every skill/spell you have and nuke things into oblivion.

• XxKnivesxXXxKnivesxX Member UncommonPosts: 188

Dont play requim it sucks bro.

grahpics utter shit too.

play  spellborn, it seriously seems like guildwars witth combat system etc look into it, its as close as you will get.

Originally posted by XxKnivesxX

Dont play requim it sucks bro.
    grahpics utter shit too.

play  spellborn, it seriously seems like guildwars witth combat system etc look into it, its as close as you will get.

Are you commenting on Requiem:  Bloodymare or Regnum Online?

If you are commenting on Regnum Online, the graphics are about average.  (I happen to like them, but from a purely "art design" perspective, they're  probably middle of the pack).  PvE is pretty standard too.  Open 3 realm pvp is the game's niche though.

I'm gonna check out Spellborn pvp though. 

Originally posted by kolek

The thing I liked about the skill bar was that you were limited to what skills you could put into it, so there was strategy involved when you picked your skills. I don't like how in most games you can bring every skill/spell you have and nuke things into oblivion.

Gotcha.

Each skill tree in Regnum has 19 levels, and each skill in a tree has 5 levels.  Every 2 levels in the skill tree a new skill is unlocked (1,3,5,7...).  You have limited points to put in both the skill tree and the skills themselves, so you have to decide exactly how you will approach the pvp (can't do everything).  I don't think this is quite what Guild Wars does, but there are limitations.

Currently you can reset your skills and reassign your points in Regnum for free as many times as you want (at class trainer). The developers have said at some point they may make the reset a premium item ($), but those already playing will get it for free.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

In Guild Wars there are hundreds and hundreds of skills. Each skill is available to every character. You can only take 8 skills with you at a time, however. Your attribute points can be distributed and re-distributed between your various attributes as much as you want and your secondary class can be changed at any time too, which is how you have access to the skills of every class.