Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOVE IT!

everything thus far that i have heard is revolutionary and great concepts.

there coming up with alot of things from the sounds of it that will take MMO's into a whole new genre. Im so happy and thankful Bioware is finally making an MMO, cause lets be real, all there single player RPG's have been excellent and top rated in the past. The fact that its Star Wars makes even better, and that the storyline is a continuation of the KOTOR series just adds on to it.

this is great news, i was so sick of WoW, it was never my cup of tea for an MMO. was way to linear and simple. limited diversity, and just flat out boring at end game. killing the same NPC's over and over for shinies, or you can pvp for purples, but the entire game revolved around purples and grinding for em. the only time i ever really enjoyed WoW was when I was leveling in PvP zones and was constantly attacked by people my own level, complete and utter pvp. And all these recent games coming out try to do something similiar but with tweaks that really just seem as if there trying to take a peice of WoW's pie.

not Bioware!. it really seems so far that Bioware wants something different. that they want nothing similair to wow. thatt hey want there own world that no other game company can come close to touching.

its been awhile since we had a game that took MMO's into a new generation, ultima Online was the first, followed by Everquest and SWG Pre-cu were prolly the next few new concepts followed by WoW.(i really dispise that game)

im really stoked about it and can't wait to see how it turns out, I've been waiting to hear of a game that will be pretty RPG focused into a story that i like with some intensive PvP.

Comments

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

My guess is that if you don't like WOW, you won't like this game.

That is unless your only problem with WOW was the setting.

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

You'll be disappointed if you expect a completely different direction than WoW. You will see elements from WoW and other similar games in TOR, I'm pretty sure about that, though I'm also sure BioWare will add in stuff of their own.

However, don't think this will be a complete revolution. I am hoping for a good advancement of the genre by adding the Story-line element to the mix and the choices that matter. Ask for a completely different game from WoW, and you will most likely be disappointed.

• MasterCrysisMasterCrysis Member Posts: 94

I disagree.

Bioware has never made games about grinding for gear. all of Biowars games were storyline and character focused. I suspect this game will have a similiar direction.

Dare I say sandbox type feeling? i refuse to call it a sandbox, but from the elements of which i hear, i get alot feeling that there will be sandbox elements in game. especially when it comes to being character focused.

Originally posted by MasterCrysis

I disagree.

Bioware has never made games about grinding for gear. all of Biowars games were storyline and character focused. I suspect this game will have a similiar direction.
    Dare I say sandbox type feeling? i refuse to call it a sandbox, but from the elements of which i hear, i get alot feeling that there will be sandbox elements in game. especially when it comes to being character focused.

Story-Driven. Yes. Sandbox? No. They were always linear and level-based and it is highly likely this game won't be different. As I said, they will introduce Storytelling and I suspect it will be the usual great stories I have come to expect of BioWare, but a story does not a sandbox make.

It will have levels, it will have classes and you will "grind" your way to the top level by following the (most likely excellent) storylines and deciding for yourself which path your char will take.

That is certainly different from WoW, but it is not a complete different direction. As i said...changes, advancements, yes, complete revolution, no.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

I disagree.

There is first time for everything and I would not be suprised at all if they did a "WoW-Clone"

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I disagree.

Bioware has also never made an MMO, keep that in mind as well.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

Originally posted by vmoped

I disagree.

Bioware has also never made an MMO, keep that in mind as well.

Cheers!

Their developement team however has quite a lot of MMO experience if you had bothered to read any of the info provided already.

Also Cheers!

Originally posted by singsofdeath

I disagree.

Story-Driven. Yes. Sandbox? No. They were always linear and level-based and it is highly likely this game won't be different. As I said, they will introduce Storytelling and I suspect it will be the usual great stories I have come to expect of BioWare, but a story does not a sandbox make.

It will have levels, it will have classes and you will "grind" your way to the top level by following the (most likely excellent) storylines and deciding for yourself which path your char will take.

That is certainly different from WoW, but it is not a complete different direction. As i said...changes, advancements, yes, complete revolution, no.

i never said it would be a sandbox, dealing with levels and level caps are clearly linear. i said sandbox type elements.

and saying the games were always linear is foolish. kotor series is a perfect example. i wouldn't call having a dark alignment with opposite alignment abilities linear. i wouldn't call being able to switch constantly throughout the game your alignment linear. i wouldn't call having dzones of abilities regardless of class linear. whatever you may think, being able to mix class with prestige without restriction is not linear, developing your character with little to no restriction is also not linear.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

It's no giant leap to say most of what you liked in SWG will be in this game, most of what you didn't like or didn't work will not. There will also be some "new" elements to MMO game play. All this is based on interviews, comments by the devs, ect.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

I disagree.

i never said it would be a sandbox, dealing with levels and level caps are clearly linear. i said sandbox type elements.

and saying the games were always linear is foolish. kotor series is a perfect example. i wouldn't call having a dark alignment with opposite alignment abilities linear. i wouldn't call being able to switch constantly throughout the game your alignment linear. i wouldn't call having dzones of abilities regardless of class linear. whatever you may think, being able to mix class with prestige without restriction is not linear, developing your character with little to no restriction is also not linear.

Could you change the story in the game apart from the two choices, Light and Dark Side? Could you do whatever you wanted, for example just ignore the storyline and do something completely different?

I was not talking about the character customization. I was talking about a linear story. And if you think the stories in the BioWare games were not linear...then well...err, dunno what to say.

I disagree.

Could you change the story in the game apart from the two choices, Light and Dark Side? Could you do whatever you wanted, for example just ignore the storyline and do something completely different?

I was not talking about the character customization. I was talking about a linear story. And if you think the stories in the BioWare games were not linear...then well...err, dunno what to say.

um, your stretching. i didn't know there was a concept of a storyline being linear and a story line being complex.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

all info and media (admitedly not alot) released so far indicates that bioware are making WoW set in starwars with more storyfocus.

thats the hard hitting truth people choose to ingore. CONFRONT IT I SAY!

My blog: image

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Originally posted by MasterCrysis I disagree.

Sounds like another Bioware fanboi off the hook. All their games were linear but that wasn't the point, the point was the story. An they always aced that. If you think this MMO will be anything but story-driven quests you are off your rocker.

KotOR was linear, it always ended the same!

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Originally posted by Hashbrick

I disagree.

Sounds like another Bioware fanboi off the hook. All their games were linear but that wasn't the point, the point was the story. An they always aced that. If you think this MMO will be anything but story-driven quests you are off your rocker.

KotOR was linear, it always ended the same!

what single player game didn't end the same?

and I was't referring to there story line when i spoke of there new concepts. i was reffering to game mechanics that have been mentioned so far.

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

Well, first of all, this game will be a mix of WoW and KOTOR.  They've said countless times that they are taking the traditional MMOs (of which they are influenced by WoW the most) and adding a story.  

You are excited about the single-player game this MMO will offer, because they certainly have not emphasized any MMO features.  I have no doubt the stories will be amazing, but they will not be MMO-stories, nor will this game hold interest after you have completed the content (based on what they have said).  Sure, you can play each type of character, but you are basically waiting for their content, because this game is not going to be a sandbox game. 

Originally posted by demalus

Well, first of all, this game will be a mix of WoW and KOTOR.  They've said countless times that they are taking the traditional MMOs (of which they are influenced by WoW the most) and adding a story.  

You are excited about the single-player game this MMO will offer, because they certainly have not emphasized any MMO features.  I have no doubt the stories will be amazing, but they will not be MMO-stories, nor will this game hold interest after you have completed the content (based on what they have said).  Sure, you can play each type of character, but you are basically waiting for their content, because this game is not going to be a sandbox game. 

That is also an exxageration and based on, at best, a guess.

You don't know how the PvP will play out (which they said they will implement), nor how the "End Game" will be set up. You don't know how many possibilities for player interaction there will be. Will there be housing and decent crafting? How will the Community be, since that is also a big point for how much fun there is to a game in "End Game".

As I've said before, people who think this game will reinvent the genre are sorely mistaken. It will have features from other mainstream MMO's, but it will add its own.

As for the OP. Of course stories can be linear or complex in a game. Try the story of a game like...say Mass Effect and compare it to....Fallout 1. There's your difference.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

You don't know how the PvP will play out (which they said they will implement), nor how the "End Game" will be set up. You don't know how many possibilities for player interaction there will be. Will there be housing and decent crafting? How will the Community be, since that is also a big point for how much fun there is to a game in "End Game".

As I've said before, people who think this game will reinvent the genre are sorely mistaken. It will have features from other mainstream MMO's, but it will add its own.

As for the OP. Of course stories can be linear or complex in a game. Try the story of a game like...say Mass Effect and compare it to....Fallout 1. There's your difference.

Well, after reading an interview with a dev in which the dev stated their focus was in essence to bring forth the "iconic" -ness of all that is Star Wars, and having heard that Lucas Arts catch word slung about with regard to the NGE in SWG, I'd have to say big no right now for that which I highlighted above. I could adjust to a "maybe" but that would mean only that they put one or both systems in a half-hearted manner.

Again, I'd like to be wrong, but having a very clear view of the commonailty of thought of the CEOs and other "suits" in these companies I don't see them being able to put those two systems in in any meaningful way.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Well, after reading an interview with a dev in which the dev stated their focus was in essence to bring forth the "iconic" -ness of all that is Star Wars, and having heard that Lucas Arts catch word slung about with regard to the NGE in SWG, I'd have to say big no right now for that which I highlighted above. I could adjust to a "maybe" but that would mean only that they put one or both systems in a half-hearted manner.

Again, I'd like to be wrong, but having a very clear view of the commonailty of thought of the CEOs and other "suits" in these companies I don't see them being able to put those two systems in in any meaningful way.

A maybe, possibly. As I said, we do not know at this point. On the official boards, they have a thread for people to toss in their most wanted ideas. Going from the "fact" that Dev's have at least listened to the community once so far (the ridiculous Lightsabers), it may give a little hope that they will listen to some suggestions rom the players.

As far as I know, most people would be happy with a sort of "Ebon Hawk" for housing, as per KOTOR Games. I know I would be. Also, if they want to make Companion characters interesting and you will obviously have more than one at your disposal (regardless of what you may think of the system), those companions should stay at some place. It -would- be logical to think they would stay at your "home". If that gets translated into the game...who knows?

Anyway, as for crafting. Well yes. I will agree that it is unlikely that a "Deep" crafting system will be in the game. I am guessing it will be basic, maybe with good useability, but not truly indepth like...say SWG's. Probably something along the lines of WoW with a slightly different system. I'll not lie, I never really cared that much for crafting, so that is nothing that interests me very much but I can see how people might be disappointed by this.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

A maybe, possibly. As I said, we do not know at this point. On the official boards, they have a thread for people to toss in their most wanted ideas. Going from the "fact" that Dev's have at least listened to the community once so far (the ridiculous Lightsabers), it may give a little hope that they will listen to some suggestions rom the players.

As far as I know, most people would be happy with a sort of "Ebon Hawk" for housing, as per KOTOR Games. I know I would be. Also, if they want to make Companion characters interesting and you will obviously have more than one at your disposal (regardless of what you may think of the system), those companions should stay at some place. It -would- be logical to think they would stay at your "home". If that gets translated into the game...who knows?

Anyway, as for crafting. Well yes. I will agree that it is unlikely that a "Deep" crafting system will be in the game. I am guessing it will be basic, maybe with good useability, but not truly indepth like...say SWG's. Probably something along the lines of WoW with a slightly different system. I'll not lie, I never really cared that much for crafting, so that is nothing that interests me very much but I can see how people might be disappointed by this.

Which doesn't bode well for me. I like a well thought out quest and story just as much as the next guy. I, and others I'm sure, have gotten to the point to where, while I can appreciate it (great story), it takes more than that to hold my interest. I need great story, great housing, great mount/vehicle system, and especially great crafting. The idea of having a small instanced space (a la EQII) be it a spaceship or an apartment; or the possibility that the only thing separating the quality of crafted items are the items being on different tiers (I believe resources should have dynamic stats that factor into the overall quality of the finished product) isn't appealing to me at all. As those two cited examples are the industry standard at the current I see no reason (until I hear different) that those trends won't continue with TOR.

Which is sad because I've got a pretty good gut feeling it will be:

Story: Great (It's Bioware and I'm a fan of their tale telling)

Housing: OK (industry standard instanced space, if at all)

Mounts/vehicles: OK (if in at all. No passenger. No crew manned turrets for space(if in) or ground based vehicles)

Crafting:OK (as you stated, akin to WoW with its own flair.

If the above indeed comes true then SW:TOR is truly not a game for me, which is unfortunate from my perspective considering how long I've enjoyed the IP (nearing 300 views each of ANH, ESB, ROTJ: and yes, this nerd recites the lines to himself as he watches, lol).

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Which doesn't bode well for me. I like a well thought out quest and story just as much as the next guy. I, and others I'm sure, have gotten to the point to where, while I can appreciate it (great story), it takes more than that to hold my interest. I need great story, great housing, great mount/vehicle system, and especially great crafting. The idea of having a small instanced space (a la EQII) be it a spaceship or an apartment; or the possibility that the only thing separating the quality of crafted items are the items being on different tiers (I believe resources should have dynamic stats that factor into the overall quality of the finished product) isn't appealing to me at all. As those two cited examples are the industry standard at the current I see no reason (until I hear different) that those trends won't continue with TOR.

Which is sad because I've got a pretty good gut feeling it will be:

Story: Great (It's Bioware and I'm a fan of their tale telling)

Housing: OK (industry standard instanced space, if at all)

Mounts/vehicles: OK (if in at all. No passenger. No crew manned turrets for space(if in) or ground based vehicles)

Crafting:OK (as you stated, akin to WoW with its own flair.

If the above indeed comes true then SW:TOR is truly not a game for me, which is unfortunate from my perspective considering how long I've enjoyed the IP (nearing 300 views each of ANH, ESB, ROTJ: and yes, this nerd recites the lines to himself as he watches, lol).

well, heres the thing. i don't think this game is gonna be a SWG pre-cu part 2. But I did read somewhere where it was stated that Bioware claimed that SWG pre-cu had some fantastic mmo mechanics that a star wars mmo can't live without. readin that I got the impression that they weren't talking about a jedi class and space ship type battles either.

I'll see if I can dig it up. Bioware hired some of SWG's developers, who created the crafting, housing etc.. and If i recall correctly it was 1 of them that said it or something like it. I'll agree with anyone that says this game will have a few WoW characteristics. heck, every game ever done does. WoW took alot of the best concepts from several games and molded them into 1 game.

But Bioware is well known for going there own route. and I'm overly confident that they won't have 40 people forming a raid on a daily basis to go kill the same NPC that they've killed every week for the last 3 months for a purple that will go to 1 person. or sitting a Queue to PvP to farm pts for purples and getting those purples regardless of win or lose. i don't see this game being about gear grinding. i beleive it will be more about story telling and your character being made a hero. and lets be real, needing 39, or even 19 other people to kill 1 NPC doesn't give a hero feeling to your character, neither does running the same pvp battleground while people strip naked and dance and let you farm them for honor or arena pts.