Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of trying EQ2 Never played EQ1 but herd stories

Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I  have a friend who plays Requiem with me in my guild, he is an Ex EQ player, Was playing EQ for 6 years he said. He told me that he tried EQ 2 and it is in every way worse than EQ1, I am wondering this myself. Since I never played both games, Should I start in EQ1 or EQ2, (Also considering going back to PoTBS) I Am curoius to see what kind of character customization and game play features this game has that different itself form WoW or all the generic fantasy MMOs.

Comments

• Ezekiel77Ezekiel77 Member Posts: 61

I think if someone was in love with EQ and sees everything through EQ colored glasses then of course they're going to be jaded with another game that bears the EQ name. If you've never played either, give it a try. They have a free 14 day trial that doesn't even require a credit card to sign up for. You simply play the game for up to 14 days free. 

I play EQII and love it. I have a friend who thinks WoW is the be-all, end-all of games. When I told him I was thinking of starting EQ2 he said, "that game is very, very bad." Well, I tried it and love it.

A/V Nerd-

Onkyo TX-SR706b receiver
    (2)Klipsch RF-35
    (1)Klipsch RC-35
    (2)Klipsch RS-42
    (2)Polk R15
    (1)Premier Acoustic PA-10 sub

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

So what you are saying is they are both good games? Is all a matter of which one you try first and loyalty will stay to that one?

I know that I have not left FFXI for loyalty reasons (My first mmorpg I ever took seriously) so I get quite attached when I like a game, I am also considering City of heroes and Villains. Maybe even Vanguard. But this game is up there with them on the list of maybe, because it seems like its still alive with a strong population.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

i just started the game myself, i really like it.

iv played eq( in 2003) and i like both games.

problem with eq is that 1-70 (max is 80) is dead and this is a grouping game. if you do find people in the lower levels its usually a big party of multi boxers.

you can also try and eq trial if you want.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• MythosaeonMythosaeon Member UncommonPosts: 68

EQII has more variety, depth and content than any game out there.  It had a rough start due to being rushed by the WoW release, being overly group dependant due to its EQ1 heritage, and having an overly complicated crafting process.  All of that has been reworked, refined and expanded upon in spades.  From start to finish EQ2 gameplay has both casual solo and challenging group content, available and upgradable housing now including massviely detailed guild halls,  thousands of craftable items, a huge variety of mounts...more character skills, spells, and abilities - gameworld gods which grant additional skills and miracles

I tested in the EQ1 beta and reviled it.  EQ1 was a lifestyle, not a game.  EQ2 has gone it's own direction and become for more accessible than its namesake and a far more  mature and diverse game than WoW.

-Myth-

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Then you need to give the trial a try instead of relying on what your friend is saying.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I played EQ1 for 5 years before I gave EQ2 a try.........To me it was nowhere near as good as teh first game.......It is too solo friendly and too quest friendly....In EQ1 I probably did about 5 quests my entire career........EQ2 felt too much like WoW (gameplay not graphics) and I never felt a part of the world with my character as I did in EQ1.......It also removed alot of the strateies we used in EQ1 with pulling and some other techniques and basically became a DPS zergfest.....ALmost every raid I ever went on the only concern was the parse and not much else......

• HollyWeberHollyWeber Member UncommonPosts: 43

I played EQ for several years, and it was my first MMORPG. (as I'm sure it was for many people)

However, I personally would not recomend trying to get into the game now. MOST players are already high level in game and the lower level zones can be dead. Most guilds cater to the "uber" player who has x number of lvl 80 toons and won't even consider letting you join unless your toon is over a certain level.

EQII is much more player friendly for the new player. You can solo or, depending on the time of day you play, find groups. I still play EQII, and every once in a while I'll wonder what's going on in EQ but I'm pretty sure that game is in the past at this point. The character models in EQ are very blocky and the entire game looks dated (because of how old it is) so as far as character customization and game play, EQII would be the better game.

It's fun though being in EQII and getting in a group with other players who played EQ and going "omg remember in EQ when...." and then reminiscing about all the stuff in EQ that made the game a blast (even if it was difficult) to play.

Anyway, to answer the question, I'd say you should start with EQ2, but that is just my opinion and you can take it or leave it. :)

• matthewf978matthewf978 Member Posts: 287

If you enjoy WoW then chances are you will enjoy EQ2 because the game mechanics are similar.

• GidasGidas Member Posts: 68

Never played EQ. But I have played EQ2 and WoW.

I dont think those games are a like at all... I think they are very different.. I cant really explain how.. but it just is..

Maybe its the community or maybe its the game play.. Maybe its the Graphics. I dunno

I just think it takes more to play EQ2 then WoW..

For me WoW is just brainless button mashing, which a Bot can actually do better then me because it can calculate the exact Global cooldown/cooldown on spell/etc/etc.. which its all, if you boil it down, is about. Kill fast to get more xp and more loot.. etc. etc.

(its not like I dont enjoy WoW because I do.. Even though it is like it is. I do!)

In EQ2 I actually have to be a little aware of what I am doing (I'm a tank) and make sure everyone is doing allright as well. be aware of my equipment, tell people to turn down their agro and so on.. In WoW about almost every really big agro generator have  spell/tool to turn it down.. Like Locks got banish and Summons.. Hunters got pets and a lot of "slow-movement speed" stuff, which can actually make sure you kill a target before it even gets to you..

Its hard to explain, and I wont use words like "mature" and "noobish" and so on!

its a matter of personal taste I'm sure (like it is with every other game...)

Try the trial and see if you like it.. Come back here in this thread and say "Hey I liked it because of that, that and that" or come back and say "Hey I didnt like it because of that, that and that"

Make your own opinion/decision.. Dont let someone else bias your opinion for you!

I would try out the game if I were you.. I have recommended it to all my friends..

• RastonRaston Member Posts: 438

I started EQ2 back in Nov 2004.

I have been to many games before and since (Shadowbane, L2, AoC, WoW, LotRO, SWG, betas and F2P games) and EQ2 is still the best out there (though I at times tend to forget that...).  Been playing the game now for 3 years (took two breaks) and I'm still going.

I couldn't stand EQ (which almost kept me out of EQ2)