Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is patching supposed to take this long?

GrahlGrahl Member Posts: 23

I bought the box that has everything up through RoK, installed from the cds, and went through a 1.5 hour patching process...now a 8 hour patch process has started.  Is this normal...it only took me about 7 hours to download the entire AO game + expansions + patches, and that was downloading the entire game.  I mean, the bulk of this should have been on the cds right?  What am I downloading that would take 10 hours after installing from the disks?

Comments

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Grahl

I bought the box that has everything up through RoK, installed from the cds, and went through a 1.5 hour patching process...now a 8 hour patch process has started.  Is this normal...it only took me about 7 hours to download the entire AO game + expansions + patches, and that was downloading the entire game.  I mean, the bulk of this should have been on the cds right?  What am I downloading that would take 10 hours after installing from the disks?

Since you posted this yesterday you probably found out your reason. It won't take that long. The estimated time calculator SOE uses with EQ2 is not accurate. I had an estimated time once of over 24 hours and it took only about an hour.

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464
    Originally posted by Grahl

did you install from the RoK box or the Shadow Odessey box?

Current Games:

• GrahlGrahl Member Posts: 23

I installed from the RoK box, has base game + all expansions through RoK.  Got it in the bargain bin...never played EQ2 so thought I would give it a whirl.  Still have about 35 minutes to go on patching, unless there's another 18 hour patch after this.  Installed the game 14 hours ago, this is pretty lame.  It seems like most of whatever I'm downloading should have been on the disks, everything up to RoK anyway, then whatever patches and stuff from post RoK I would need to download.

As for the estimate timer being inaccurate, you're right, it's taking longer than it said.  It's better to not even look at it, you go do something else for 15 minutes then come back and the time has increased lol.  I just can't believe it takes this long to patch...I've downloaded entire games + patches in way less time than this.  I mean what was the point of the disks...might as well have just downloaded the whole thing, it feels like I am anyway.

• drag9999drag9999 Member Posts: 252

Maybe you just caught a bad day or something. I managed to download the whole game (I patched from EoF up to RoK less than 2 months ago) in less than 5 hours.

• DexyDexy Member Posts: 63

Seems to be hit and miss, my patching took 20+ hours

I'm based in the UK but my girlfriend is in belgium at the moment. She was patching at the same time and took only 7 hours.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by drag9999
    Maybe you just caught a bad day or something. I managed to download the whole game (I patched from EoF up to RoK less than 2 months ago) in less than 5 hours.

/confirm
    I installed the release version of EQ2 few days ago. Patching + all expansions except of the newest one (TSO or something) took me around 5 hours.

• RastonRaston Member Posts: 438

if you installed to RoK, then you would have a whole years worth of patches to get (TSO was released last week), but sometimes the patcher is just slow and the best thing to do is cancel it, wait a short bit (maybe 15 minutes) and hit it again.