Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New computer hungry for an MMO, for a strange play-style solo player

DruidblueDruidblue Member Posts: 28

Greets! 

(Before we proceed, note I will be using my terminology "MMGS", for Massively Multiplayer Gaming Service, in place of "MMO" or "MMORPG", as I find MMORPG to be an inaccurate term, and I don't want to confuse anyone more than I normally do.  Just play along, and consider me ---> )

Ok, so, I'm a long time MMGS player, and have played all of them up until the past couple of years, when my computer finally because too weak to work with the offerings.  Therefore my last gasp was somewhere around the beta for LOTRO.   Anything before that, I've pretty much played.

Now I have a shiny new computer that can shoot laser beams to the moon, and is ready to handle anything I throw at it.  I'm DYING for some online play again, but I have NO clue what to get into, there are so many choices nowadays.  

Let me list the type of (crazy, strange) online player I am, and see if anyone has tips.  I'm going to go crazy for me and be VERY brief, which is nearly impossible.  Bear with me.

I'm a solo-style player.  I have ODD issues with grouping and / or guilding, which include pretending to have internet disconnections if someone asks me to join them.  I play MMGSs so that I have a never-ending, expansive world to explore and evolve in with REAL people populating it around me that I can provide services to in the form of selling crafted goods or saving them from a wandering monster, but I just have never succeeded in finding a way to join a group of people and be expected to do stuff with 'em all the time.

I love crafting, but it's ok if it's simplistic.  Just something more for the character to do and evolve with.  Complex is great, I isn't too stupid to understands it.  No crafting? Not the end of the world, but kind of a bummer.

I play all the time, long hours (when involved in an MMGS) but to date have NEVER reached a maximum level in any game.  Not in WoW after a year, not in EQ or EQ2 after several years.   Why?  Several reasons- I don't push for the end content.  I've never experienced "level grind".  I just do whatever is fun at that moment, and let the levels come to me.  I also like to have a few bazillion characters- if I'm allowed to make 10, I have 10, and I tend to start those 10 10 different times to level 10.  Got that? (I like to restart often.)  Also, I refuse to accept ANYTHING for free from other players.  If you try to give me a copper piece, no.  If you try to give me the best weapon in the game that can be traded to another player? No.  Everything on my characters is looted by me, or made by me, or bought by me.  This slows one down, in say, WoW, where I don't group and therefore don't raid and therefore have crappy gear. =D

I do like PvP, but I'm more a fan of controlled PvP than complete free for all.  I mean, if I can wander into a zone and know I'm in danger, great.  But if I just joined and somebody 10 levels higher than me kills me and takes my starter sword, that's pretty stupid (of them, and the game developers.)  I played quite a bit of the low level WoW arenas but did get really annoyed (and eventually quit using them) because of twinks, which I consider cheating.  (I know, argument for another day.)  Still, I could not compete with someone who had a one-hit kill sword, so, that ruined the fun for me playing "by the rules".  If there are PvP systems out there without that imbalance, that'd be good.

So, what's a good choice for a soloist, non-guilding/grouping, crafting, earn-everything-yourself, patient, plays-a-lot, semi-PvPer?  Appreciate helpful answers in advance.

(Oh, please eliminate "Guild Wars" from the suggestions, it's not an MMGS- I have it, and enjoy it, but I'm looking at the pay games right now.)

I'd love insight into Warhammer and Conan since I haven't played either. Oh, and LOTRO, now that it's out, I did beta like I said but don't know what the final product is like. I've tried EvE a few times and love the feel but keep hearing it's a no-go for soloists.  Last I've played was WoW, and it's fun enough, but I kind of end up stalling about level 40ish and then just recreating my low levels over and over, until I tire of it.  Plus I hear that "it sucks" (apparently from the 11 million+ players currently in it.)

Thanks for reading!  I love you!  (Ok, not really, just being silly in case you read this far!)  Thanks again for any helpful suggestions.  I bow to your wisdom! 

(P.S.  Yes, this was, in fact, a "brief" post for me. Yay me! Just imagine my "verbose" posts!)

I use a new and improved term: MMGS = Massively Multiplayer Gaming Service.

Comments

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

Dreamlords: The Reawakening sounds perfect for you. While it is an MMO the pve part of the game is strictly solo. The pvp part you can do 1v1. It's a F2P RTS with an item mall where you can buy tribute points to buy stuff in game. The in game tutorial doesn't do good on explaining crafting, but there's a chat channel you can ask for help and a wiki guide if you search on Google. Dreamlords is somewhat comparable to Warcraft, not WoW, but it's more complicated.

In my opinion AoC and LotR wouldn't fit you, but I am unsure on Warhammer. Eve definately wouldn't fit you if you are a soloist.

• Hi,

my impression is that you need a game that is open for weird playstyles, such es EQ allowed to kite down a level 25 hill giant with a level 19 druid... if you spent 15 minutes and where lucky not to run into an add.

Also you sound like you love to explore and examine every aspect of well.... everything.

Given that you spend lots of time in the game i think LOTRO would be boring for you quick, also some of the epic book quests in LOTRO require grouping, no way around it.

I think Vanguard sounds like a game for you. It has choices over choices and allows pretty weird tactics. The crafting and diplomacy system are nice. From the newer titles i think they are all too much hand holding / care bearing for a player like you.

Let us know what your final decission was.

Snorf

• DruidblueDruidblue Member Posts: 28

Thanks!

Yeah, my play style gets in the way sometimes.  But then again, I don't want to join a guild and get them mad at me when I refuse to take the free stuff they offer to upgrade my gear... or when we're in the middle of a raid/quest and I have to step away from the computer (letting my character die) because the cat is throwing up on the floor.   Not sure how other people manage to not have things interrupt their play, but I just can't guarantee I can remain in front of the monitor 100 percent of the time. 

I apprecate the suggestions so far... I did get to poke at Vanguard's beta, and it was interesting- though I was under the impression it pretty much died on launch.  If there's a large player base (in other words, it's not going to be canceled soon) that could be an option.

I did try the first suggestion here, but wasn't too keen on it.  

Maybe I should just change my playstyle, and avoid my current issues by forming my own guild of other playstyle misfits like me! 

I might just give some of the new ones a try just to see how I like them... problem is I've heard bad things about everything out (curse of the internet, everything sucks!)  I heard Warhammer is unbalanced and Conan is ... I don't really know, quirky? Buggy? I just heard the "it sucks" coming soon after it released.

I just miss having a persistent world/characters to dive into whenever, and with my new Alienware I can also have it look pretty for the first time. Hehe. 

Anyways, thanks again, I'll do some more reading on here and consider my options.  I wish it was back when there was only UO and EQ to choose from.  Made things simpler. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

While EVE is tons more fun if you join a corporation, many players remain solo for a variety of reasons.

You can build an entire personal empire just by yourself (economically speaking) from crafting, mining mission running, and trading if you like.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by Druidblue

Greets! 
    (Before we proceed, note I will be using my terminology "MMGS", for Massively Multiplayer Gaming Service, in place of "MMO" or "MMORPG", as I find MMORPG to be an inaccurate term, and I don't want to confuse anyone more than I normally do.  Just play along, and consider me ---> )
    Ok, so, I'm a long time MMGS player, and have played all of them up until the past couple of years, when my computer finally because too weak to work with the offerings.  Therefore my last gasp was somewhere around the beta for LOTRO.   Anything before that, I've pretty much played.
    Now I have a shiny new computer that can shoot laser beams to the moon, and is ready to handle anything I throw at it.  I'm DYING for some online play again, but I have NO clue what to get into, there are so many choices nowadays.  
    Let me list the type of (crazy, strange) online player I am, and see if anyone has tips.  I'm going to go crazy for me and be VERY brief, which is nearly impossible.  Bear with me.
    I'm a solo-style player.  I have ODD issues with grouping and / or guilding, which include pretending to have internet disconnections if someone asks me to join them.  I play MMGSs so that I have a never-ending, expansive world to explore and evolve in with REAL people populating it around me that I can provide services to in the form of selling crafted goods or saving them from a wandering monster, but I just have never succeeded in finding a way to join a group of people and be expected to do stuff with 'em all the time.
    I love crafting, but it's ok if it's simplistic.  Just something more for the character to do and evolve with.  Complex is great, I isn't too stupid to understands it.  No crafting? Not the end of the world, but kind of a bummer.
    I play all the time, long hours (when involved in an MMGS) but to date have NEVER reached a maximum level in any game.  Not in WoW after a year, not in EQ or EQ2 after several years.   Why?  Several reasons- I don't push for the end content.  I've never experienced "level grind".  I just do whatever is fun at that moment, and let the levels come to me.  I also like to have a few bazillion characters- if I'm allowed to make 10, I have 10, and I tend to start those 10 10 different times to level 10.  Got that? (I like to restart often.)  Also, I refuse to accept ANYTHING for free from other players.  If you try to give me a copper piece, no.  If you try to give me the best weapon in the game that can be traded to another player? No.  Everything on my characters is looted by me, or made by me, or bought by me.  This slows one down, in say, WoW, where I don't group and therefore don't raid and therefore have crappy gear. =D
    I do like PvP, but I'm more a fan of controlled PvP than complete free for all.  I mean, if I can wander into a zone and know I'm in danger, great.  But if I just joined and somebody 10 levels higher than me kills me and takes my starter sword, that's pretty stupid (of them, and the game developers.)  I played quite a bit of the low level WoW arenas but did get really annoyed (and eventually quit using them) because of twinks, which I consider cheating.  (I know, argument for another day.)  Still, I could not compete with someone who had a one-hit kill sword, so, that ruined the fun for me playing "by the rules".  If there are PvP systems out there without that imbalance, that'd be good.
    So, what's a good choice for a soloist, non-guilding/grouping, crafting, earn-everything-yourself, patient, plays-a-lot, semi-PvPer?  Appreciate helpful answers in advance.
    (Oh, please eliminate "Guild Wars" from the suggestions, it's not an MMGS- I have it, and enjoy it, but I'm looking at the pay games right now.)
    I'd love insight into Warhammer and Conan since I haven't played either. Oh, and LOTRO, now that it's out, I did beta like I said but don't know what the final product is like. I've tried EvE a few times and love the feel but keep hearing it's a no-go for soloists.  Last I've played was WoW, and it's fun enough, but I kind of end up stalling about level 40ish and then just recreating my low levels over and over, until I tire of it.  Plus I hear that "it sucks" (apparently from the 11 million+ players currently in it.)
    Thanks for reading!  I love you!  (Ok, not really, just being silly in case you read this far!)  Thanks again for any helpful suggestions.  I bow to your wisdom! 

(P.S.  Yes, this was, in fact, a "brief" post for me. Yay me! Just imagine my "verbose" posts!)

Hi, just to let you know, you are not alone with your gaming style of play, there are a lot more people who play and think the way you do, I like to call us," Sliders" after the TV show as we like to jump and slide between all the different games we own, I also totally agree with your view of the," levels come to you" ( so why chase them and end the fun and adventure prematurely)

I'm about to try out Vanguard for the first time, should have it installed in another hour or two, will let you know what it's like in a day or two.

War was a lot of fun, but it's very new and buggy, will be a great game in a year or so, but at the moment it will only keep you busy of a month,( or more if your really into it in a big way.)

LOTRO is a lot of fun solo, it's easy to group up if you need it, the player's are friendly and helpful, but in the long run it can also become a bit dry.

The only advice I would give is to, not give up on your older game's,( keep playing them, as well) just add newer one's to your world's to visit list and your universe will become bigger.

the only other advice I would add, is make sure you have a nice and very big hard drive to fit all those worlds on,( my biggest problem at the moment )

Hope this help's.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

"Guildwars" is great if you like solo play. Nice graphics, bots to bring around so you can still group, levels won't matter much, Arena style PvP battles that are great (You can start a max lvl PvP only char if you want to). No real crafting in it however.

Also it have no monthly fees but it costs a bit to but it (well, the original campaign can you probably find for a few bucks, and there is a good packet with all expansions in for the price of a regular game.

If your after graphics, try "Age of Conan", it is very solo friendly and looks great. Problem is that it still misses some end game content, but it is probably the only MMO that really maxes out your GFX card. Monthly costs.

"LOTRO" is also worth a look, it doesnt look as great as AoC but it is still very pretty and quite solo friendly too. Monthly costs also, or a lifetime membership for a lot of cash.

"Runes of magic" is coming out soon also, only good F2P game I seen, looks quite nice actually.

If I were you, I get Guildwars, best solo friendly game I tried.

• ActusActus Member UncommonPosts: 48

I have to laugh because I share many play-style qualities with you... thinking I was the only one.  Not everything... but most.  Maybe I'll mark some similarities and tell you what I play and why I like it.  Not a cheerleader... it just fits my style right now.

I have a borderline phobia about in-game contact (odd for someone who likes mmo's).  I still leap from my chair whenever a "tell" tone goes off.  I fumble clumsily for something to say... then regret that my response wasn't witty or helpful enough.

I suppose I like being among a community... that's why population's important to me... I just want the option not to interact.  I always choose RP servers... but don't participate.  I just like being in an atmosphere that fits the scenery and where everyone seems to be having a good time.  If I'm unlucky enough to be approached... I'll reply as "in-character" as I can... "That grog sure is good".. or "yeah... those darn dwarves... what're ya gonna do though".  My aim is to disengage as quickly as I can... without killing the RP experience for the other person.

Tried guilds back during SWG's early years.  I was a lousy guild-mate.  Didn't like everyone knowing I was online... and funny enough... used connection problems as an excuse for not responding.  "Hey... lets go clear the bunker out"... or "wanna team up and kill some womprats?"  always presented new adventures in excuse-making.

I'm a HUGE character restarter.  I'll keep two or three... work them up a ways then think "hmm... I'll bet I could have done better doing it this other way".  I try to resist... "no... I've put a lot of time into this toon"... but eventually the doubt sets in... and I find mysleft clicking "delete".

Better shorten this a bit... needless to say... I know where you're coming from.

Again... not a cheerleader... but since recently upgrading my computer I've gone back to LOTR.  There's a lot of stuff to do.  Sometimes I'm in the mood to get a deed... plenty of places to explore... and if I feel like just hanging out and watching the conversation in a corner... it's no problem.  I rarely do the main story-line books... but every now and again.. if I have time and I see someone looking for help... then I'll tag along and cut out as soon as I can.

A little tired of the sword-n-sandle stuff... but I like the Tolkien world and it's fun to interact with it.  I'm also tired of linear skill leveling... and being locked into a "character class".... but the positives make up for it... for now.

I won't go into my mmo pedigree... but I've tried a lot of stuff.  I'll also keep trying stuff... but for right now this seems to fit my play-style.

Hope it helps... and don't even think of contacting me in-game...

Aurelion-Ellwaen-Aulric

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

I was wondering where my twin went. You are EXACTLY like me.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

The two games I found good for solo gameplay were Guild Wars and Vanguard.  Since you have a new computer, VG would be worth a try for you IMO.  It really is a wonderful game, sadly I just don't like being in such a large world that felt mostly alone.  For solo, I mostly played a Necro, although did have decent luck with a Druid some also.  Many people like the Disciple for solo work.  The problem you have, which I am sure you are used to, is that the quests for good gear are very group focused, or at least duo focused.  IMO VG's crafting is top notch, but a little bit annoying in some areas.  Diplomacy is interesting, but I never really dug "card games", so didn't get into VG's beyond about diplo level 15.

• MaxZnortMaxZnort Member Posts: 19

I wish I could advice you on a game that fit on your play style, that would mean I was playing and enjoying an online game.

Please, if you find that game post it here.

----------------------
    Have fun

• DruidblueDruidblue Member Posts: 28

After lots of reading and discussing, and then realizing it's not THAT big of a deal for me to try a couple different ones price wise (at least, at the moment), I wandered over to the store today and grabbed LOTRO and its expansion.  

It did not hurt matters that the 39.99 pack for both was on sale 10 bucks, I must admit. 

So of course I got back home and what have I done since then?  A few rounds of Team Fortress 2... a few rounds of Left 4 Dead... and I was just about to load "The Witcher Enhanced Edition".  Why did I think I needed an online game again?   

Hehe... I kid.   Those are all great, but a big difference from having that persistent character and world.  We'll see how I like LOTRO, and at worst I can grab a different one and go from there.

I'm looking forward to seeing LOTRO on my system though- this is a brand new top of the line Alienware and so this will be my first MMGS with all the settings on "high".  Should be pretty! 

Thanks again for the suggestions and tips!  Hope to see you in game- but not group with you. 

P.S.  This whole "choosing an online game" thing becomes moot once Bioware puts out Star Wars: KOTOR online.  That's a no brainer. I can't imagine that won't be amazing.