Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hoping to come back, a few questions need answered.

kakarikakari Member Posts: 15

Hello, I played this game when it went public, so that was a good few years ago.

I had a cat-race (Sorry, forgot their name) red-mage. I think I played until level 36, which was a high level at that time. It was also where there was no expansions at all.

I quit the game because the grind was becoming really hard, and that I was having a trouble finding English speaking groups.

Well, now several expansions have been released and a few years have passed. I wish to come back because I miss my cat-girl red-mage. (Please, don't call me a pervert...)

But I want to ask a few questions before I purchase new expansions and subscribe again.

1. Is choosing a server still random? It was when I was playing. The game would choose a random server for you to play upon creation of a character.

2. Are Japanese and English players still mixed ? I had really big troubles with my red-mage in communicating back when I was playing.

3. If #2 is positive, is there a server where English speakers are dominant?

4. I had a PC version. I don't think there was xbox360 at the time the game was released. But now I have xbox360. Which platform is better for this game now ?

I am certain that PC version would have superior graphics, but I do also remember that this game had a strange controls which was suited for console controllers.

I think that's all for now, thank you.

Comments

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by kakari

Hello, I played this game when it went public, so that was a good few years ago.
    I had a cat-race (Sorry, forgot their name) red-mage. I think I played until level 36, which was a high level at that time. It was also where there was no expansions at all.
    I quit the game because the grind was becoming really hard, and that I was having a trouble finding English speaking groups.
    Well, now several expansions have been released and a few years have passed. I wish to come back because I miss my cat-girl red-mage. (Please, don't call me a pervert...)
    But I want to ask a few questions before I purchase new expansions and subscribe again.
    1. Is choosing a server still random? It was when I was playing. The game would choose a random server for you to play upon creation of a character.
    2. Are Japanese and English players still mixed ? I had really big troubles with my red-mage in communicating back when I was playing.
    4. I had a PC version. I don't think there was xbox360 at the time the game was released. But now I have xbox360. Which platform is better for this game now ?
    I am certain that PC version would have superior graphics, but I do also remember that this game had a strange controls which was suited for console controllers.

1. Im not sure about that because I havent made a new character in years.  I just recently started back up again. I used to play in 2003 quit  then started over again in 2005 and it was still random then I think.

2. Yeah Jap and Eng are still mixed but with the translation system you can still communicate pretty well with the Japanese players.

3. Im on Pheonix and there ive rarely run into any Japanese players.

4.  Its all about personal preference. I used to like playing on the 360 but now Im back on the PC using the compact keyboard controls and you can run with WASD and I like it better than using a controler. Id say PC has better graphics because of the Registry Tweaks but thats just my opinion.

Ive been hearing a bunch of people are coming back to FFXI i guess everyone is getting fed up of all these other games that  are crap, just like I am.  Im not even attempting to try another game untill SE new MMO comes out..... Im tired of all the shiny sparkles, question marks over NPC's heads for quests, and solofest games.  I really hope their new MMO isn't going to follow the trend of every other MMO that has came out since WoW.....

• kakarikakari Member Posts: 15

Thanks for the reply.

Another question was raised in my mind.

Is it possible to play on both platforms on the same account? There are times when I cannot use my PC for gaming purposes. Of course, I am fully aware that I will have to purcahse two copies of each for each platform.

And, yes..., I am getting fed up with all the crappy online games. I've tried all MMO so far (Including the newest ones, AoC and WAR). The one I miss now is UO, AC, and FFXI.

UO is done for in my knowledge since Lord British has left.

AC is also done for me since there is LOTRO which I am currently -still- playing. Well, I have a life time account.

FFXI, I miss my cat-girl.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

No, it's not random anymore.
    Yes, they're still mixed. It seems like you joined during JP release? I can understand finding a lack of English speaking players if that's the case. That or you were on more during JP prime time. They expanded on the translator phrases so it's easier to try and communicate.
    It's hard to say. There seem to be a fair number of both on the server I'm on Kujata. I couldn't tell you of any server that might be like that since I haven't been to any other servers.
    PC is probably the best because you can tweak the graphics more and do .dat edits (change the way equipment/weapons/characters look)  if you're into that kind of thing. 360 is more of if your PC isn't that great, don't have space, or something like that.
    You can use a 360 controller on the PC and play that way, or you can change it to WSAD on the compact keyboard. I use a controller with PC.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Thanks for the reply.
    Another question was raised in my mind.
    Is it possible to play on both platforms on the same account? There are times when I cannot use my PC for gaming purposes. Of course, I am fully aware that I will have to purcahse two copies of each for each platform.
    And, yes..., I am getting fed up with all the crappy online games. I've tried all MMO so far (Including the newest ones, AoC and WAR). The one I miss now is UO, AC, and FFXI.
    UO is done for in my knowledge since Lord British has left.
    AC is also done for me since there is LOTRO which I am currently -still- playing. Well, I have a life time account.
    FFXI, I miss my cat-girl.

Yeah, all the releases of FFXI can all play together and can use the same account to log in, just not at the same time.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

The cat race would be Mithra :-p

And it sounds like you played before they raised the level cap? In which case, yeah that would have likely been prior to the US release.
    Well it kinda comes down to how you approach the game.

If you persist in doing any one thing for an extended amount of time, it starts to feel like a grind. Best advice to counter that is to mix up what you do. Always have multiple goals at the same time so that when you're a bit burned on doing one thing you can do something else instead.

I've got at least 6 things I'm currently working on, so when any one thing is either reaching "burn-out", or just isn't feasible for some reason, I'll move on to another goal. I never run out of things to do and the game never feels like a grind.

'course that's me :)
    lol. Nah... there are some in-game who will think you're "off" for playing a female character as a guy, but don't let it get to you. That usually happens after they assumed you're female irl and started hitting on you, to find that you're a guy. Happens to me all the time and I just laugh at them.

I ask a simple question when someone says anything: "Are male Mithra a playable race? No? Well now you know why I play a female Mithra".
    I also don't identify myself with my character in FFXI any more than I think I'm Lara Croft when I play Tomb Raider.
    Nope. You can now select what server you want at character creation. You can also switch servers.
    Yep, English, Japanese, French and German now all share the same servers. Each has their "Prime Time" so it really depends on when you play. In general, I've never found a crippling shortage of English players overall.

And, frankly, I never understood why people are so xenophobic in this game. I mean, the auto-translator is there for a reason and it takes relatively little effort to use it.
    None of them that I know of. Again, depending on when you play, you should have no trouble finding plenty of English speaking players to group with. In 5+ years playing, I've never had trouble.
    I say PC.. just 'cause you can mess with the resolution. I'd say 360 is next in line after that with PS2 coming in last.
    It was originally designed for PS2 so using a gamepad is almost a given. I used gamepad for the first 2-3 years I played. Now I use keyboard exclusively with the "compact" setting and love it.
    De nada... and welcome back to Vana'diel! :)

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Well, for me, one of major reasons for playing a female character, ( I've always, always, created female characters in my entire online gaming life which started back in early UO beta days.) is that I'd rather watch a female('s butt, can be omitted) during my game play rather than watching a male character's butt all the hours. Basically, it is my way of bonding with my characters. Personally, I don't want to bond with male characters.

And, yes, English players were really hard to see during my game play back in ... I think 2002 or 2003. I guess "A few years ago" was a bit of stretch. I know  basic Japanese but it wasn't enough for me to fully integrate myself into Japanese community.

I am thinking of trying it out again. I need to buy xbox360 and PC boxes first though. I am not 100% sure yet at the moment.

Hello, I've returned to FFXI. I have to start from ground-up, but it feels good to be back.

I have the game installed on both PC and Xbox360. Took a good-4 hours from initial installation->Registration->Updating->Configuring the game (For PC mostly because the resolution was aweful).

I joined Odin server and created a Mithra red-mage whose name is the same as the username here.

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

I hope you brought a new account and a new game. Otherwise, you going to get double charged.

New subcription will start the billing cycle on the day they start, re-sub people will just count month.

If you start today and a re-sub you going to get bill for that 5 day as a november billing.

I assume you played the Japanese import when you played. If not, english version was release with an expansion and the servers was 1 years ago already when American players started.

none

Yes, it is a new account. I don't even remember my old account username and password anyway.

I've forgotten everything about this game. Now, I can't even figure out how to restore my HP and MP.