Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest disappointment this year

MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

Many games has been launched this year, including expansion packs, but did they live up to the expectations? What was YOUR biggest disappointment this year?

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Well didn't feel i could vote for something not out yet, and in truth never felt any urge to try TR after the reviews, so went with EvE. I know many love it but i found the missions limited / repetative and my guild was small enough I probably missed some its key point, add to it the BoB / CCP dev cheat, and well i just expected more so that was my biggest disappointment this year.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

AoC for the publicity it got at first It was a total let down. I mean it is an ok mmorpg, and it was honeslty not the wrose mmorpg launch in history. But for all the stuff the developers said , and all the sweet talk that game was getting everyone simply expected more and did not get it.

After AoC I would say seeing the Tabula rasa and Hellgate london servers both shutting down this year... however seeing so many Free 2 play Korean shit fest's still up and running while decent games get shut down..that is the years biggest downer,

I hope next year all the Free 2 play Korean Grind fest crap games get shut down or go bankrupt.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I didn't purchase any "new" MMO's this year so nothing really disappointed me. It was actually a good year for me as most of the games I played had major improvements. I guess its in the eye of the beholder and where you spend your time. All the "new release chasers" will continue to get burned time after time.

I was greatly amused with the AoC fiasco though. I think the AoC folks surpassed the Vanguard folks at launch in terms of raw drama. (although many of them were the same people...blind consumerism at it's finest)

I got the chance to play WAR open beta just before launch and it was pretty much what I thought it would be. Unworthy of my Time & Money.

Trials & buddy passes are your friend. Use these two things and you will never get "burned" by an MMO...at least where it matters, your wallet.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Warhammer, great sieges, shame about absolutely everything else!

Age of Conan was a disappointment, because half of it wasn't there, but what was there was really good. Warhammer therefore rates a bigger disappointment because it was all there, just nowhere near as good as it should've been (based on DAoC's quality, the license quality and the fact they made sieges so damn good).

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

TCoS and the ip blocking,a damn shame.

I remember making a post this time last year how dissapointing 2007 was and how I was looking forward to 2008 man was I wrong,2009 doesnt even look that great on paper nevermind in reality...I guess maybe Aion could deliver.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

AoC was my personal turkey this year. I'm glad I didn't try WAR as it looks to be pretty much DOA in EU.

Stargate Worlds is epic fail (for reasons I can't divulge).

• QGoddyQQGoddyQ Member Posts: 27

I didn't think AoC was so bad at all, I just thought it got a little repeative after a while.

Warhammer was the most dissapoiting for me, what a letdown, everything became so boring quickly.

'Peace Is A Lie, There's Only Passion'

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Warhammer was a big let down.  I was %100 ready to be fully converted to war, but the fun factor just wasn't there. 

I ordered the collector's edition the day it was announced.  I WANTED this game to succeed.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Warhammer is the worst MMO I have ever played.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

I agree with Daylight01, TCOS IP blocking is by far the biggest dissapointment this year for me. I really do not see how TCOS can recover from such a stupid decision when it already had no hype to begin with.

I can not really see any good mmos comming out any time soon, Aion does not really look like my thing. And jumpgate seems a bit shallow. Probably will end up going back to WoW at this rate, (Actually technically did go back to it on my old account my brother was playing on, lasted 6 hours over 2 days apart from the DK quest its the same old crap.)

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

War hooked me for almost an entire month, AoC hooked me for a pair of days, so I'll go with AoC. Anyways, I didn't have many expectations from them tbh.

• ZoOoOZoOoO Member Posts: 93

I agree about TCOS IP blocking is by far the biggest dissapointment this year for me.

I shoould also mention WAR, fun for a few days, but after i did  play 100 times torn anroc,  could not stand it anymore.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I'd have to go with WAR actually... the PQs were fun until you started to realize there were like 6 per zone, and people only bothered to run one.

It wasn't worth running the others, they were completely useless (and too far away from town) to bother with.  Grind one of them out half a dozen times and then move onto the quests.

To me that showed complete lack of design decisions for the PvE content (yes yes, I know, PvP blah blah blah)... once you got to level 16 or so, the PvE content was barren, you either PvPed or you gave up the game.  It completely ruined WAR for me.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

My top 5 Dissapointments for the 2008

1) WAR is just... ack! If I was well spoken/written I'd come up with something witty that fully explained how bad my experience was but man... BAD! 

2) AOC, I actually liked the idea of AOC, I liked some of the features, 1 to 20 was pretty cool, I really liked some of the classes. CC was neat , mature content is sorely needed in new MMO's but overall the total package was a downer.

3) STO... BAH!! read the forum drama. What a bag full of suck , a great name like Star Trek online deserves so much more than what it got and where it's going to go. "Hi my name is Cryptic Studios and I'd like to develop an MMO that completely lacks any real depth based on a huge depth-filled IP. Please give me money!"

4) WoW... don't get me wrong, I loves me the WotLK, I'm having a blast so far but damn it Bliz after 4 years can you not give me a damned condo in Stormwind already, a nook in ironforge... gimme something, please! Great to see the game doing so well but I wish they'd go a little outside the box already.

5) My biggest bummer... CPP/White Wolf not giving us any freaking information on (working title) WoD online. WTF!!! Other than that dude saying it will probably not include Vampires we've got a big freaking zero to work with. I get Eve is awesome sauce to work on but gimme some lurv. You're testing my patience WW, TESTING! Do you hear me!

Some other big drags...

SEO... do something with MxO already, it's just kinda sad now. Saga of Ryzom needs to get going and get going now ! *ahem* *cough*; please!

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    Originally posted by daylight01

TCoS and the ip blocking,a damn shame.
    I remember making a post this time last year how dissapointing 2007 was and how I was looking forward to 2008 man was I wrong,2009 doesnt even look that great on paper nevermind in reality...I guess maybe Aion could deliver.

Be happy you were in the same boat as a lot of us were.  At some point in 2007, the year 2008 looked like it was going to give us some really fun games.  I am not feeling that way for 2009.

Age of Conan was my big let down of the year.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Warhammer.  I really wanted to like that game, I was a big booster of it, but gosh ... what a whiff by Mythic.  I actually think AoC, which was also disappointing, has more future potential than Warhammer does, because Warhammer's issues are related to core design decisions that are much harder to undo.  What a disappointment.

• hauj0bbhauj0bb Member Posts: 153

Warhammer, for many of the reasons already posted here.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I loved tier 1 of WAR..

I made it to tier 3 and lost interest.

It's really a shame, because Teir 1 was so awesome.

Castle Seiges were cool, but they were laggy and had way too many NPC guards.

And the PVE kinda blew.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

So what kind of grind are you talking about? If its a party mob grind like FFXI i might be interested

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69

Um AIon should be removed from that list  as it won't be out till next year sometime. And you might want to actually try playing  before judging it. Beta footage is nothing to be used for judging the worthiness of the game.  Right now for all we know it could be an excellent game or crap won't know till it actually comes out.. Having actually played it some, I am going to lean more towards excellent game side of things, but will be reserving final judgement for the final product next year.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Pretty much everything but EVE is a disapointment, all others listed are pretty much the same thing with different skins, mostly all nub games for noob gamers .

• razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230

For me AoC since that was the 3rd mmo i actually followed hardcore(the other 2 being COH and FF11)  from the many that ive played. Im not saying AoC is a bad game I just wish they would of watied  around the end of this year or before Q2 of 09 so they could of had the PVP and DX10 in like they PROMISED they would

and  but IMO Tabula Rasas failed cause FPS players dont want to play to play an FPS,  they can do it for free with 10 different new games out

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Biggest disappointment 2008 ?

Well... 2008

This year was armageddon for MMO games. Year that all the hopes from last crappy years focused on, and than exoloded in big stinky pile of crap.

And what was left  inside ? A small undigested nugget called WoTLK

good friggin riddance , see you 2012 - when next AA MMO commes out

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

AOC gets the nod followed by WAR. 2008 was the year of hype and nothing more. Maybe 2009 will offer some hope ?