Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW maturity issues?

MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

This forum most certainly have a tendency towards very specific ways of thinking about MMORPG's. I would like to know, the age group of people here though. Is everybody here of the WoW generation? Did WoW bring the genre maturity issues?

Comments

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

I don't believe that I fit in any of your categories so I don't think I'll vote.

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367
    Originally posted by Mitara

This forum most certainly have a tendency towards very specific ways of thinking about MMORPG's. I would like to know, the age group of people here though. Is everybody here of the WoW generation? Did WoW bring the genre maturity issues?

I've played WoW for a few months and I've never ran to anyone who seemed like they were having maturity issues

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573
    Originally posted by TenSpotting

I've played WoW for a few months and I've never ran to anyone who seemed like they were having maturity issues

Ive also been playing WoW for the first time recently and have been pleasantly surprised by the maturity of the majority of the people i talk to.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    Originally posted by FischerBlack

Ive also been playing WoW for the first time recently and have been pleasantly surprised by the maturity of the majority of the people i talk to.

Yes its a common stereotype around here.

I don't think people realise that the majority of WoW players are over 18.

O_o o_O

• KienKien Member Posts: 520

I played WoW when it came out and enjoyed it. Ended up quitting at level 50 because I didn't like raiding, and didn't feel like starting over again at level 1. When I left, the player base seemed reasonably mature.

I returned to WoW years later. The public channels were polluted with infantile comments. From their "humor" some of the players were clearly 13-15 years old. For example:

BOOGA: "BigWag Mercs Recruiting - FAT CHICKS NEED NOT APPLY!!!"

ARMPTS: "LOL!"

HARYDUDE: "LOL!"

I didn't play WoW for a week before I quit again... for good.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who hasn't experienced immaturity in WoW.

• raizenlolraizenlol Member Posts: 25

no you!!!!!111

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I've been playing WoW for 4 years, and I'm in my 40s.   I know VERY few people on my server that are under the age of 30, truthfully.  I think the whole "WoW is for children" thing....is a bit of a MYTH.  LOTS of adults play.  Not all adults are mature, but....I haven't had a lot of problems.   I'm in a predominantly adult raiding guild, I don't spend loads of time hanging out in major cities reading  trade chat.  I think those are possible ways to AVOID seeing a lot of the immaturity that undoubtedly exists.  However.....I have also noticed a DECLINE in the idiotspeak (my own word to describe leet speak) when I HAVE read trade chat.  I think some of the very very young PvP crowd that used to like to talk a lot of smack and just act like complete asses......moved to Warhammer.  I'm cool with that.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• strategystrategy Member Posts: 183

Well,

I have even proof Wow is being played by a lot of adults and older people.

Here it is:

http://www.xfire.com/games/wow/World_of_Warcraft/

See the dip as of Nov 3th trhough Nov 5th. This dip was not due to server problems (like they got the week after that). No these were election days - prognoses and results.

Now look at some other games and you see games that were less affected and more affected.

Wow was one of those games that were really affected by this event. Showing it has a much more mature public than others.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by girlgeek

I've been playing WoW for 4 years, and I'm in my 40s.   I know VERY few people on my server that are under the age of 30, truthfully.  I think the whole "WoW is for children" thing....is a bit of a MYTH.  LOTS of adults play.  Not all adults are mature, but....I haven't had a lot of problems.   I'm in a predominantly adult raiding guild, I don't spend loads of time hanging out in major cities reading  trade chat.  I think those are possible ways to AVOID seeing a lot of the immaturity that undoubtedly exists.  However.....I have also noticed a DECLINE in the idiotspeak (my own word to describe leet speak) when I HAVE read trade chat.  I think some of the very very young PvP crowd that used to like to talk a lot of smack and just act like complete asses......moved to Warhammer.  I'm cool with that.

agree, they also moved to AoC. actually AoC has been the only MMO where I couldnt stand the general chat, glad I could disable it. But between WaR and AoC, AoC got the worse immature community I ever seen. Or maybe I joined the wrong server *shrugs*

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

The first year of WoW was not to bad.  It felt just like EQ to me.  People would normally ask for help on quests or send copmrehensible invites to you for instance groups.  The general chat was not to bad.  Now there isn't much grouping due to people having two accounts or a friend that will bring them through instances.  People who hang out and chat in town appear to be college kids or gold farmers from what I can tell form their chat.  The game is really getting stagnant in the old portion of the world.  I'm pretty amazed people will keep playing just for the raiding portion of the game and the PvP at endgame.  To me that is the most boring part of the game.

I had a lot of fun in Vanguard during beta.  The classes were somewhat similar to the ones in Everquest.  Unfortunately I realized after about 30ish levels that I had no interest in the EQ grind anymore.  Thats why I left EQ in the first place.  It was to time consuming.  It was a great idea, but I don't think many people have the time to put into it these days.  There are a lot more things that can occupy your time these days then there was in the 90s.  When I played EQ I didn't even use message boards except ot lookup how to complete a quest or where an item dropped.  EQ was fun, but it doesn't fit with the times.

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by Flyte27

The first year of WoW was not to bad.  It felt just like EQ to me.  People would normally ask for help on quests or send copmrehensible invites to you for instance groups.  The general chat was not to bad.  Now there isn't much grouping due to people having two accounts or a friend that will bring them through instances.  People who hang out and chat in town appear to be college kids or gold farmers from what I can tell form their chat.  The game is really getting stagnant in the old portion of the world.  I'm pretty amazed people will keep playing just for the raiding portion of the game and the PvP at endgame.  To me that is the most boring part of the game.

You don't understand it, because Wow anno 2007/08 changed a lot compared to the old raiding and old system PvP BG's.

No longer do you need to play a zillion times the same things to have something. So much has changed since the first year, you would be suprised.

But I am tired of explaining the same things all over again. Suffice to say: badges; daily heroics; daily professions, daily BG's quests, arenas, class independant loot and a 6 month cycle of updates in all of its end gaming elements, keeps the game fresh for most players for an extended period of time.

This was not present in old Wow. if Wow would be the same as 3 years ago, I would have long quitted the game. I would say, it changed its endgame over the last 2 years dramatically. Blizzard just fine tunes it further every 6 months.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I never really had that much of a problem with WoW's community.  Every mmo I've played to-date has had it's share of smacktards.  You either out-right ignore them or use the various UI options.

Like the 'easy, simple' excuses being tossed around, the whole 'child' comments are nothing but bitter hate towards a game ... yeah a game lol. 

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

It just seems obvious..that the larger the number of subscribers on any server...the greater the percentage and thus the chance...of running into an ass-tarded f@ck-lick. Just like in reality...the more humans you corral into tighter spaces...the more likely some will become belligerent, violent and possibly lash out.

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

You know the way Blizzard is being forced to Homogenize WoW, and Battle.net by Activision, I would think that folks would be complaining more about that than the so called maturity level of the WoW community.  Recently we have been shown that anything remotely off color that is posted on the WoW official forums will buy you a two week in game ban, and Blizzard has all but said that Battle.net will be a paid for service with the launching of SC2 to better moderate and provide a safe environment for everyone. Whats Next?  Will we have speed chat just like in toon town so Junior can not hear the naughty words?

Frankly I miss the old Blizzard..but I am probably in the minority.

• Tuck2000Tuck2000 Member Posts: 361

Wow in the beginning I found had a very helpful community. I was in at the start as the player counts went up 50k, 100k, 1st million. As counts grew it seemed the personal help and friendliness sense of players dropped in frequency. I would equate it to going from a small town which everyone knows everybody to the big city as servers capped out and more main stream players came in the community it lost some of it self. I quite after BC as the game just felt watered down and linear.  I do not think its Ass hat level was any high then it has been in any other game but it only takes a few to make chat annoying.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Look, we all know WoW is full of 12 year old retarded fanboy carebears with no girlfriends who want all the content to be easy and fast because they have no life and play WoW all day.  The chances of mmorpg.com being wrong about this are 0.00 (repeating) percent. 

Since you're saying anything different you're obviously part of the paid fanboy trolls who never log off WoW and can't wait to jump ship for another MMO. 

Trust this website!  It doesn't lead you wrong!

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Look at WoW's forums. That's all the answer you need.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Have they done anything about the barrens chat/trade channel? Last time I played they were overrun with racism, cursing, and whining kids on all 3 servers where I had characters.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by Briansho

Have they done anything about the barrens chat/trade channel? Last time I played they were overrun with racism, cursing, and whining kids on all 3 servers where I had characters.

They're Hoard, what do you expect?

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Pappy13

Originally posted by Briansho

They're Hoard, what do you expect?

That stuff was crazy on both sides. It was like XBOX Live hacked into the chat system!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• VyrolakosVyrolakos Member Posts: 143

When WotLK went live, there was a BBC news article where an 8 year old and 12 year old were interviewed about it's impact on them.

Even if the true average age of WoW players is much higher, that is where the target audience is as far as most news media are concerned.

Even if you are 40 years old, the game is marketed at 8-12 year olds.

Currently playing: Vanguard: SOH