Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my new pc and mmorpg related question

barshemsbarshems Member Posts: 32

Hey all,

I just ordered a new pc from dell,

940 intel core-i7

6gb ddr 3 ram

radeon hd 4870 x 2

creative soundblaster x-fi fata1ity

I haven't played any mmorpg's since everquest 2, which ran on my

athalon 3500 with my radeon x1600 at 1 gb of ram (I can't wait to trash this thing, it's valued at less than $100)

Okay the question I'm wondering (for you hardware pro's out there) is how will the system fair against the new mmorpg's out and the up and comming mmorpg's?

I was thinking about getting global agenda (which looks to have some nice resolution) but after playing everquest 2 on my old system and lagging or having to reboot every 30min. when the pc would overheat i gave up on pay to play mmorpg's and stuck to the 2d animated free to play games.... i bought fallout 3 but can't even run it on minimum settings for more than 45min. without having to reboot.

Any advice on what kinda games to run on this system? thanks.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Unless you're getting a 64bit Windows version you have 2gb of RAM more than can be utilised by a 32 bit Windows version.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704
    Originally posted by barshems

Hey all,

I just ordered a new pc from dell,
    940 intel core-i7
    6gb ddr 3 ram
    radeon hd 4870 x 2
    creative soundblaster x-fi fata1ity
    I haven't played any mmorpg's since everquest 2, which ran on my
    athalon 3500 with my radeon x1600 at 1 gb of ram (I can't wait to trash this thing, it's valued at less than $100)

Okay the question I'm wondering (for you hardware pro's out there) is how will the system fair against the new mmorpg's out and the up and comming mmorpg's?

I was thinking about getting global agenda (which looks to have some nice resolution) but after playing everquest 2 on my old system and lagging or having to reboot every 30min. when the pc would overheat i gave up on pay to play mmorpg's and stuck to the 2d animated free to play games.... i bought fallout 3 but can't even run it on minimum settings for more than 45min. without having to reboot.

Any advice on what kinda games to run on this system? thanks.

If you have to ask that question with a build you posted then I can't help you.

Who let you in the VIP section?

• barshemsbarshems Member Posts: 32

Okay apparently alienware (dell) allows for order changes as long as your order hasn't shipped yet

so I had them remove the 1tb raid 0 hard drives and I think I'm just going to go with the 250gb drive since i already have two 250 drives i can pull out of my current pc

anyhow i had them switch from the 920 to the 940 processor and i changed from 3gb ddr3 to 6gb ddr3...

well anyhow yes it is most definatly 64 bit windows, like you said 32 bit can't handle more than 2gb.

Originally posted by Tyres100

i mean yea i know it's a good setup i'm dropping like 2500 into it but the people who run these games at like max settings have like $10,000 or more computers right?

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

The hardware mentioned is okay apart from the word Dell on the front.  Cancel the order, buy the hardware and build it yourself.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Sorry calling BS on the OP,a system that you have posted isnt from a guy that needs advice more over just showing of his new system.

I would try to help people that need a new system but wont entertain show off's.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i mean yea i know it's a good setup i'm dropping like 2500 into it but the people who run these games at like max settings have like $10,000 or more computers right?

LOL $10,000 computers .... thats funny.

Your average top of the line computer (best hardware) is about 2500-3000 (when you build it).

I could probably build your pc for about $500 cheaper, but i guess that extra 500 goes to haveing "Dell" on your computer.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I just spent 600 bones on a comptuer and it runs Fallout 3 fine max settings with good framerates and any mmo you can throw at it.  

My set up

Intel 8400

ATI 4850

4 gigs of ram

ECS P35 mobo

74gb 10k rpm Raptor

I have room to upgrade for Crossfire more ram and I can go quad core later as well.  SO while my computer plays any game well I still have room for improvement.  You will be fine for some time to come.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by daylight01

Sorry calling BS on the OP,a system that you have posted isnt from a guy that needs advice more over just showing of his new system.
    I would try to help people that need a new system but wont entertain show off's.

his pc isnt "show off" material for what the majority of gamers on this site have.  And i fail to see how this thread is different from all the other "Help me" threads in this forum. So atm i take it your jealous, or your just in a bad mood.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

LOL my set up cost 1000 euro and I didnt build it myself,I run all games at max settings,crysis,CoD and every mmo that I have played.mine is "only" dual core 2.66,4gb ram,vista 32 bit,8800gt 512 mb card.

I can just imagine asking the mrs if it was ok if I spent 10k on a new pc,man it worries me to even think of the response.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

Well that's good, atleast I know I'll be able to play fallout 3 on max settings.  Hopefully something like aion will run at decent performance too.

oh and final fantasy xiii is comming to pc i wonder what the system req's are going to be for that, last time i tried to run a ps2 game on my pc (using emulator and a ps2 game i owned) my computer practically died so a ps3 game would take some kind of super computer lol.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

heh, you should prob research more before you drop comments like that. way way wayyyy off the mark. try Mucho lower

and I see by the spec you posted that you MUST know about pc's as its all good gear so is this a LOOK AT ME POST or a genuine I bought the best by luck post?  Good  FPS games need more than mmo's so seems strange

well I do know a bit, I was referred to alienware.com so  I just checkmarked the higher end pieces which made it pretty simple.   I don't think you really need a degree in computer science or marketing to figure out that "more expensive" = "more expensive" so I guess I make my own "luck"

anyhow i've been doing a bit of research and it turns out a lot of people think the core-i7 is not a good gaming processor while other people think it IS a better gaming processor.

Well "look at me" all this time I was looking for gaming information like that about the pc and it turns out I was able to find out just as much information reading other people's "look at me" posts than making my own

And I'm kinda concerned, some people say alienware is a bad PC maker or that they mess up orders, sounds like it's been hit or miss, I just hope I get lucky and the people taking my orders aren't falling asleep at the keyboard.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

well I do know a bit, I was referred to alienware.com so  I just checkmarked the higher end pieces which made it pretty simple.   I don't think you really need a degree in computer science or marketing to figure out that "more expensive" = "more expensive" so I guess I make my own "luck"

anyhow i've been doing a bit of research and it turns out a lot of people think the core-i7 is not a good gaming processor while other people think it IS a better gaming processor.

Well "look at me" all this time I was looking for gaming information like that about the pc and it turns out I was able to find out just as much information reading other people's "look at me" posts than making my own

And I'm kinda concerned, some people say alienware is a bad PC maker or that they mess up orders, sounds like it's been hit or miss, I just hope I get lucky and the people taking my orders aren't falling asleep at the keyboard.

Well as of right now a fast dual core is the best for gaming IMO.   Untill games utilize more cores which some are starting to you really won't see much of a performance increase.   The Core i7 are quad core with 2 logical processors each core.... ITs a hyperthreaded quad core.

If you plan on playing Alan Wake im sure the i7 will destroy that game, it was already running on Core 2 Quads, that would be sweet it if can take advantage of the 8 threads. I want to try the demo for that game so bad. Ive had the download waiting in my download manager for a while now. The est. date always says the next day but I check and then it tells me the est. date is the next day again. lol

You will get better performance compared to a dual core  if your doing multitasking  in the background. But my dual core does fine with, FFXI , itunes running and a bunch of tabs open on firefox so Im sure the i7 could multitask like a mofo.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The system you linked to can play any game at maximum resolution and full settings at playable framerates.

Currently, Core2s have alot of L2 Cache which is the main reason they perform better per hertz.  The L2 cache costs half as many cycles to fetch data from then the L3.  However, it is not possible to continue expanding cores using the method on the Core 2.  This is because L2 Caches are specific to 1 core.  What happens if you have 32 cores?  Having 32 large L2 Caches that mirror data is very inefficient and takes too many transistors.  This is why the Phenom and the Core i7 include an L3 cache that is shared across all cores.  This is why the Phenom architecture is better for X-Core designed games and super computers.

So yes currently, Core2 will perform better on games.  In a year or two when they start having engines use 4 or more cores, the Corei7 and Phenom will be better.

Originally posted by Cleffy

The system you linked to can play any game at maximum resolution and full settings at playable framerates.

I don't get it then if it can run the game at max "resolutions" and full settings at good playable framrates then what is all the hype spending the extra $1200 in overclocking to get those last 5-10 fps, is there even really a noticable difference between 40 and 50 fps?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

They say there is a noticable difference for some people up to 60fps, although nearly all people don't notice a difference above 30fps, and even 12fps is enough

Overclocking isn't about using the top of the line system to play a game.  Its expected to be able to play all games at max settings and resolutions.  Its about getting a system that costs 1/5th as much to play at those settings.  The Core i7 940 costs $1000, the board costs $300.  Why not use the Core i7 920 that costs $329 and overclock it to the same clock as the 940? 

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

They say there is a noticable difference for some people up to 60fps, although nearly all people don't notice a difference above 30fps, and even 12fps is enough
    Overclocking isn't about using the top of the line system to play a game.  Its expected to be able to play all games at max settings and resolutions.  Its about getting a system that costs 1/5th as much to play at those settings.  The Core i7 940 costs $1000, the board costs $300.  Why not use the Core i7 920 that costs $329 and overclock it to the same clock as the 940? 

I don't think you can OC Dell's without flashing the bios, can you?  Just asking.   Have they started to allow more freedom with functions of that sort?

Why not use the Core i7 920 that costs $329 and overclock it to the same clock as the 940? 

I guess because if you clock both cores by +50% then the 940 is still above the 920. if you only overclock one to the speed of the other then the life of the 940 still beats the 920 (i'm just pulling this out of my 4$$ I have no idea what speeds you have to overclock a processor to for it to maybe effect the processors lifespan)

I have no idea if you can over clock a core i7 or a alienware (dell) I'm going to look it up on google and i'll get back to you

personally though I would be too afraid to overclock anything that would shorten the life of my pc by a day.  So i'm not really interested in overclocking but it's fun to find these things out

In response to Jbirdz

"Unless it's built by Alienware or some other Gaming Computercompany then pre-builts don't let you overclock. I have yet to own a pre-built that let me overclock through the bios. They usually just throw in the cheapest motherboard/ram around and put in some decent hardware in like the Q6600."

quote taken from:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26154230

So apparently alienware computers CAN be OC'd

however:

"Basically, you can not overclock a Dell. They were not designed for this, and let me explain why:

Dell uses custom made parts. Those parts were designed to be as cheap as possibile for the system (Try to build a similar pc with exact the same specifications and you'll know). "

quote taken from:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=196767

------

so basically you can overclock dell's alienware but you cannot overclock a standard dell, if that answers your question, of course these are just quotes taken from what other people have written so I don't have any hard evidence until my pc ships...

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

In response to Jbirdz

"Unless it's built by Alienware or some other Gaming Computercompany then pre-builts don't let you overclock. I have yet to own a pre-built that let me overclock through the bios. They usually just throw in the cheapest motherboard/ram around and put in some decent hardware in like the Q6600."
    quote taken from:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26154230

So apparently alienware computers CAN be OC'd

however:
    "Basically, you can not overclock a Dell. They were not designed for this, and let me explain why:
    Dell uses custom made parts. Those parts were designed to be as cheap as possibile for the system (Try to build a similar pc with exact the same specifications and you'll know). "
    quote taken from:
    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=196767

------
    so basically you can overclock dell's alienware but you cannot overclock a standard dell, if that answers your question, of course these are just quotes taken from what other people have written so I don't have any hard evidence until my pc ships...

I was curious why you kept saying Dell's Alienware, Didn't realize they bought them up.

yeah I didn't know until not long ago when someone corrected me on another thread I kept saying "no it's alienware not dell" and finally someone bluntly said "alienware is owned by dell" I was all "oh"

well here's a good webpage that criticizes alienware (I hope I don't have any of these problems lol) http://www.badsoftware.com/alienwaresucks/2005_06_01_alienwaredefects_archive.html