Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

warhammer player thinking of leaving war

ZanzeerZanzeer Member Posts: 80

i have been playing war since it came out .....and stuff...the game has goten to were you cant do anyhting without 10 bright wizzys and such nukeing you down in pvp....and the game has died out since WOTLK came out ....i dont wanna go back to wow cause of the lame pvp system in that game ..i love wars pvp but that game has alot of work to do before its stable ...the pop seems to be droping also on that game ...everyone is rolling order to play a BW ....i was looking at this message bored for guild wars ....is this game worth playing ?i herd you can get a level 20 pvp toon ...right of the bat ...whats the rewards for pvping do you level ....gear etc ? how hard is it to level ....?and why do people say guild wars is not a MMO?

why must you QQ so much ...

Comments

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    Originally posted by Zanzeer

i have been playing war since it came out .....and stuff...the game has goten to were you cant do anyhting without 10 bright wizzys and such nukeing you down in pvp....and the game has died out since WOTLK came out ....i dont wanna go back to wow cause of the lame pvp system in that game ..i love wars pvp but that game has alot of work to do before its stable ...the pop seems to be droping also on that game ...everyone is rolling order to play a BW ....i was looking at this message bored for guild wars ....is this game worth playing ?i herd you can get a level 20 pvp toon ...right of the bat ...whats the rewards for pvping do you level ....gear etc ? how hard is it to level ....?and why do people say guild wars is not a MMO?

Yep, you can get a level 20 PvP toon right off the bat. There's one downside: you need to unlock runes, waepon mods and skills for on your skillbar on your account to spice it up. You can unlock either through PvE or PvP. In PvE you go through the campaign and start at level 1, and depending on the campaign, it will take you between 10-40 hours to get to level 20. During PvE, you can unlock skills and stuff which you can then use on your PvP character. Or...You start PvPing right away, and earn so called Balthazar Faction Points during PvP. Those points can be used to unlock stuff for PvP. Another possibility is buying unlock packs in the official shop.

Once you're finshed with unlocking, well, why do you PvP? For all sorts of different reasons: challenge, fun, titles, climbing the world ladder and fame :) Same reason why you would play an online FPS over and over again.

Why GW is not an MMO? I never really understood why. It's Multiplayer, it's Massive, it's Online. But some people seem to think that a game which uses instancing isn't an MMO.

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• Kane4002Kane4002 Member Posts: 36

You can unlock max gear through faction also, gear is sort of irrelevant, because everyone has max gear seeing its not hard to get. Max gear only has differences in looks.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You can start with a lvl 20 yes. Or you can PvE level it up if you prefer that. The time that takes depends a lot on which expansion you do it in. Prophesis takes a lot longer than the other 2 (but is more fun).

Factions is worth going thru since it have PvP missions inside, and them can you only play if you get there in the story.

Green gear is kinda hard to get but you only need your main weapon green (and a shield if you use that). Armour is more about looks.

The game is worth playing, it's fast paced PvP is fun and is 99% based on skill, not gear. You can either unlock your skills in PvE or PvP (but only in PvP with a character that starts at 20).

Originally posted by Kane4002

You can unlock max gear through faction also, gear is sort of irrelevant, because everyone has max gear seeing its not hard to get. Max gear only has differences in looks.

That is true with armour but certain green weapons are actually better than anything else. My nice green bow is far better than the regular golden ones, but that is about it. It takes some work to get a green one if you don't buy it from someone, but it ain't so much work as getting a raid weapon.

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    Originally posted by Loke666 
    That is true with armour but certain green weapons are actually better than anything else. My nice green bow is far better than the regular golden ones, but that is about it. It takes some work to get a green one if you don't buy it from someone, but it ain't so much work as getting a raid weapon.

That's if you go through PvE. In PvP, it's much easier to get something similar as a PvE green weapon. Just to clarify, for the OP: you don't need green weapons in PvP to be competitive.

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Guild Wars is like the Unreal Tournament of online gaming to me. It's fast-paced, you can jump right in and you need skill in order to play it. 

You can create a level 20 character right from the start. You'll get maximum armor, some skills in your skill bar and you can kit your character out with various runes, weapons and other armor sets then too. All of this is free, as gear has minimal effect on play. You'd then jump into the Random Arenas and get the feel for the game, whilst earning Balthazar Faction which you can use to unlock new skills, weapons, armor, runes and other upgrades. These new items won't be Uber leet items, rather pretty much items with the same stats that look different and of course new skills will differ from your current skills. 

If you choose to go the PvE route, as you unlock skills and items in PvE, those skills and items will be unlocked for your PvP characters. The level cap, as mentioned, is 20, so it will not take long to achieve maximum level. To be honest - most people play PvE because it's fun, not so that they can grind for leet gear etc. Guild Wars doesn't work that way.

Hope to see you in-game soon!

Originally posted by Rayana

That's if you go through PvE. In PvP, it's much easier to get something similar as a PvE green weapon. Just to clarify, for the OP: you don't need green weapons in PvP to be competitive.

No, as I said 99% skill. The green weapon is the last 1%. That 1% isn't much of an edge, but it is kinda a small edge anyways so it should be mentioned here.

I never seen a game less based on gear than Guildwars, don't think there is one.

• rageagainstrageagainst Member Posts: 618

This game is mostly not an mmo. The only time it because massively multiplayer is in cities, at which point its kindof like a massive chatroom  with avatars, and you can also trade stuff :P

Even, I think on the main website it said the game is a, CMOG (Cooperative multiplayer online game)

Playing with 24 people at once is not massive, you can get more massive playing battlefield....

I think thats the main downside to the game, the game gets lonely and exploration is linear (what to DO is not linear however, you can do a lot of things. (that give you cosmetic stuff but thats another point)).  I think guild wars had great potential to be a revolutionary game, and it achieved a lot as it has a low lvl cap, completely instanced world, no griefers, barely any grind, and barely any downtime.

However, PvE has NO content compared to any other mmo, you only fight to get better cosmetic stuff for fear that it may mess up PvP if you got uber stuff... at the same time PvE only skills are there for you to GRIND, if you added those, might as well add "sword of chuck norris that does 800000 damage" because it will be taken off for PvP and its not like its viable to use your PvE character in PvP anyway! This is why, I think, they were forced to make Guild Wars 2, where you can level past 20 and get character enhancing stuff.

And COMPETITIVE pvp is inaccesible, since only hardcore players can begin to actually be competitive at it, though it has a good (the ONLY) fantasy competitive scene once you become hardcore. Also... you will have to buy the pvp upgrade that lets you have the ability to unlock everything from the 4 games (unless you want to buy the 4 games seperately) for 15$ if you decide to be competitive... I never became competitive because you NEED to use ventrilo and my family would think it was wierd if I started talking into the computer.

Basically this game is for casual PvEr's and diehard PvPr's no inbetween.

The reason I would rather pay2play DFO when it comes out rather than not pay and play GuildWars is because it has no player freedom. Sure a PvP match will get "uncompetitive" if some other party comes in and kills you all, so they make PvP instanced... but they miss the big picture. You should have seen that other "party" coming, if you take off player freedom, sure in one sense everything is more "fair" but if you look in a wider scope, you shut off so many possibilities, so many upper level strategies. If you were having an awesome pvp match and you get raided by a 3rd party, its not because you were unlucky, its because you failed to look at upper level strategy, think outside the box, keep sentry's around ready to signal retreat when someone sneaks up on you, so then you can kill THEM once they kill the people you are currently fighting.

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

Lol according to this I'm bipolar :O

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by rageagainst

However, PvE has NO content compared to any other mmo

What on Earth? There are three campaigns with cinematics, as well as an expansion, which are all re-doable on Hard Mode. Not to mention dungeons, elite missions as well as random quest arcs such as Sorrow's Furnace. If you call doing the same raid over and again PvE content then I really don't know.